This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Why we should be following mookie and send them a wealth tax bill
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        It's not that there's an assload of loans, it's that the delinquency rates are spiking. That's usually a good sign that a recession is approaching. We're already looking at a yield curve inversion coupled with lower than average tax returns and those coupled with a spike in loan delinquencies?

Winter is coming. And we have a 4-year-old at the helm.
        That's a very interesting leading indicator. One would hope that delinquency and bankruptcy would head down during a strong economy.

Maybe this isn't a strong economy. Maybe it's just a big ol' bubble for the rich.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

https://www.wsj.com/articles/death-o...am-11550101090

Why can't we get **** like this right?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            https://www.wsj.com/articles/death-o...am-11550101090

Why can't we get **** like this right?
            Spoons in the puddin’ my friend...
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

NEw tax break is encouraging companies to replace workers with machines https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...es-study-says/

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                That's a very interesting leading indicator. One would hope that delinquency and bankruptcy would head down during a strong economy.

Maybe this isn't a strong economy. Maybe it's just a big ol' bubble for the rich.
                People get overly confident during good times and overextend themselves financially. That's pretty much the long and short of it.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  People get overly confident during good times and overextend themselves financially. That's pretty much the long and short of it.
                  I didn't. Never did actually. Hasn't really helped me all that much either.

Comment

That's because you're not people, Scooby.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

That's because you're not people, Scooby.

That's actually pretty true. Very insightful.

Comment

Are there numbers to back up that this is what happens? If true, this is really bad news. It implies we'll never save, because when times are tough we can't and when times are good we won't.

I would love to see policy and politics that rewarded Americans saving and being forward-looking instead of inciting them to spend more and indulge themselves in the present, but I'm told our economy is based on consumption and I fear a significant, system-wide shift in favor of personal savings habits would probably seriously damage employment.

I'm sick today (note: being sick sucks), but I've rarely been so depressed over a piece of new information.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          That's actually pretty true. Very insightful.
                          "You can't just kill the actors, they're people."

"Have you ever eaten with one?"
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Are there numbers to back up that this is what happens? If true, this is really bad news. It implies we'll never save, because when times are tough we can't and when times are good we won't.

I would love to see policy and politics that rewarded Americans saving and being forward-looking instead of inciting them to spend more and indulge themselves in the present, but I'm told our economy is based on consumption and I fear a significant, system-wide shift in favor of personal savings habits would probably seriously damage employment.

I'm sick today (note: being sick sucks), but I've rarely been so depressed over a piece of new information.
                            One of the best ways to remain upwardly mobile is to start saving yesterday and cut your current standard of living. I’m going to retire comfortably because I had a dad who was smart enough to teach me to save when I was in elementary school. This eventually grew to opening an IRA to contribute to when I started working as a soccer ref when I was like 12. It’s continued today and I’m putting away 20+ percent every month.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              One of the best ways to remain upwardly mobile is to start saving yesterday and cut your current standard of living. I’m going to retire comfortably because I had a dad who was smart enough to teach me to save when I was in elementary school. This eventually grew to opening an IRA to contribute to when I started working as a soccer ref when I was like 12. It’s continued today and I’m putting away 20+ percent every month.
                              Just a note of caution which I doubt you need: it is possible to oversave for retirement, depending on what you're doing. You want to have enough flexibility to deal with short and medium term emergencies without having to make financially injurious decisions because you don't have cash on hand.

Saving is like dieting. There's a point where too much turns the heath curve back down again.

Having said which, I save like a demon because I had Great Depression parents and they drummed into my skull that the bottom can drop out. Dr. Mrs., whose Mom is 25 years younger than mine, wasn't raised with savings habits at all. She's a financially sensible person but she's not haunted by it like I am. We balance each other well.

Since you're single, I'll offer this bit of completely unasked for advice. Only two fundamental differences are lethal to a marriage: the desire for kids and the desire to save. Everything else, from religion to politics, can be navigated, but find somebody who has the same baselines as you on those two pillars and you have a really good start. Dad mode off.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 02-19-2019, 05:11 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The beauty of having a very smart dad is that he also understands the need to have liquid savings. He made sure I put things in non-tax-advantaged accounts as well.

I have an employee stock program I’ve been using and we’ve been talking about adding a separate brokerage on top of that to contribute to ensuring I always have access to money if need be. That and just cold hard cash.

You want to make sure you have enough of a rainy day fund to afford major medical costs, a new roof, things like that. But also enjoy life.

Edit: That reminds me, part of me wants to cash out of the stocks in the next year or two since we still have Republicans in charge. Once the Dems get back in, I’m hoping they get rid of capital gains and just treat all income the same.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X