This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economics, and Tax Policy 8: Bezos Takes Over the World

Also, it makes it fun to watch the forehead veins throb on stars-and-bars rednecks who support Trump 120% watch their shifts get cut when Trump imposes tariffs on these "imported" cars made in the US and their manufacturing jobs are slowed.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      When they say assembled in America don't they assemble them complete overseas, then take a couple parts off, ship them here, and then "assemble" them by putting those couple pieces back together like a child's model, just to be able to splat "America made" on the ads for the dopes?
      No, not quite like that. For some manufacturers, the engine will come into the American plant as a single item, rather than having the American worker attach all the various parts that make up the engine. There are some pieces that have to be assembled in a specific sequence, so there's only so much "bulking" the foreign plants can do in order to both avoid the tariff fees and make it cost efficient to assemble in the American plant.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Maybe just prepping for his college yearbook photo.

Yup, it's Ash Wednesday (in the South)...

Cheers!!!
        ~TTF
        Dave
        RIT - '90

Comment

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...mpression=true

Why in he blue hell would condos and apartments not be taxed in the first place?
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...fed-data-show/
            Total household net worth in the fourth quarter of 2018 dropped by the largest amount since the fourth quarter of 2008 when the country was amid a steep recession, according to data released Thursday by the Federal Reserve.
            The typical American household, however, may not feel much of a financial pinch as a result of the drop. For starters, stocks have since recovered much of their late 2018 losses, although they remain below the record highs set earlier in the year.

More important, most of the household wealth in the United States is owned by the country’s richest families. In 2016, for instance, the top 1 percent of families owned 40 percent of all household wealth, with the next 9 percent of families holding an additional 39 percent. That leaves 21 percent of the country’s net worth for the remaining 90 percent of American families.

Furthermore, about half of American families don’t own any stocks, while the top 10 percent of families control about 84 percent of the stock market.

Taken together, the numbers are a reminder that the stock market is not the economy, and that big national-level data sets may not necessarily reflect financial reality for typical American families, many of whom live paycheck to paycheck and struggle to meet even small unexpected expenses.
            Also known as "no sh*!," and when can we start publicly flogging the 1%? We can get to the next 9% later.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...mpression=true

Why in he blue hell would condos and apartments not be taxed in the first place?
              I believe they are taxed. This is an additional tax on top of property taxes for non residents.
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...fed-data-show/

Also known as "no sh*!," and when can we start publicly flogging the 1%? We can get to the next 9% later.
                I remember wondering a few months back what percentage of the stock market is own by whom. I think that if the estimate that the top 10 percent of families control about 84 percent of the stock market is even remotely accurate, you can essentially assume a similarly high percentage of every dollar spent goes to the top 10%. One more bit of evidence that a fair tax just ain't fair and that we need a steep progressive income tax. And probably steeper at that.

Furthermore, it just goes to show how much we need to treat long term capital gains as regular income.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I remember wondering a few months back what percentage of the stock market is own by whom. I think that if the estimate that the top 10 percent of families control about 84 percent of the stock market is even remotely accurate, you can essentially assume a similarly high percentage of every dollar spent goes to the top 10%. One more bit of evidence that a fair tax just ain't fair and that we need a steep progressive income tax. And probably steeper at that.

Furthermore, it just goes to show how much we need to treat long term capital gains as regular income.
                  Feels like something is missing here?

What is owned by foreign nationals?

Stock ownership is huge!!
                  Property?

That should be hit too, double taxation treaty be dammed

Like anyone cares if those countries want to hit back on US citizens owning overseas....

Pound them all!
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I care about rich foreign investors and their tax woes about as much as I care about the rich here crying about taxes.
                    Sorry Mookie.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Well well well. Oops!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...3yM/story.html
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        I honestly would have been shocked if something like this hadn't been going on. I've just been under the assumption that college admissions could be bought.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          The 1% live in a different world than you and me. Glad you're finally figuring that out.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            The 1% live in a different world than you and me. Glad you're finally figuring that out.
                            Normally you buy a building or endow a chair. Bribing a coach, though, is more modern and has been practiced by sneaker companies for years.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                              I honestly would have been shocked if something like this hadn't been going on. I've just been under the assumption that college admissions could be bought.
                              I have to say, I don't get it. Instead of paying a middle man half a million bucks, if the Loughlins say or whoever donated that directly to the university with the promise of maybe a few more bucks upon admission I find it hard to believe the combination of $$$ and celebrity status wouldn't have gotten their kids into these colleges. Think of Rodney Dangerfield's character dealing with the dean in Back to School when he was trying to become a student.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                                Most of the rich kids I knew in college were monumentally stupid. Dump level stupid. Yet there they were. I wonder how?

They weren't by any means a large segment of the student population -- maybe 1 in 50. But it was still galling to have them there when they obviously had nothing between the ears.

Fun fact: they run our major corporations, now.

Tow the ESA into the center of Africa and let them work it out for themselves.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 03-13-2019, 10:07 AM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X