Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 18-19 season

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Wow this is a great summary for those of us not as informed about this conference. Thank you. I stand corrected about Oswego. I had it in my mind that they were always superior to their fellow also-ran SUNY sister schools. Apparently not inspite of always hearing that Oswego had a reputation for being a hockey school. It seems I incorrectly assumed the women's team was supposed to be part of that reputation. You didn't answer my question...do you think Morrisville will be able to challenge Plattsburgh next year (or anytime in the near future)? If nobody can step up and challenge Plattsburgh then this conference will always be a joke even after it expands to 7 teams. One good team and the rest are essentially garbage?! That would be really unfortunate.
    To be honest, I lost track of Morrisville when the SUNY schools "broke up" after the league splits. Now that they will be together, I guess I'll have to pay attention again.

On the surface, I'm saying no. I'm surprised they even improved this much. There are a lot of challenges recruiting at Morrisville. Hats off to their current coach who has overcome them lately.

But looking at future league opponents, they lost to Plattsburgh, 7-1 (right on par with all the other NEWHL teams losing to the Cardinals) and only beat Buffalo State, 1-0 (right on par with the other non-Plattsburgh related games in the NEWHL).

I see six teams of mediocrity (I prefer this word than "garbage") from the current four teams.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Uh oh be careful. Don't let any fans of the CACA, I mean CAC, see your comment about the highest SOS!
      Lol I’m pretty sure every team in the league could have a losing record and we’d hear from some that they are the best league in the country.
      UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
      NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
      Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Western favorites had easy nights tonight I see.
        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
          To be honest, I lost track of Morrisville when the SUNY schools "broke up" after the league splits. Now that they will be together, I guess I'll have to pay attention again.

On the surface, I'm saying no. I'm surprised they even improved this much. There are a lot of challenges recruiting at Morrisville. Hats off to their current coach who has overcome them lately.

But looking at future league opponents, they lost to Plattsburgh, 7-1 (right on par with all the other NEWHL teams losing to the Cardinals) and only beat Buffalo State, 1-0 (right on par with the other non-Plattsburgh related games in the NEWHL).

I see six teams of mediocrity (I prefer this word than "garbage") from the current four teams.
          From what I’ve heard Morrisville and Oswego both lost talented assistant coaches that were the primary recruiters for their programs in the last couple of seasons.
          Venezia left 2 seasons ago and is now head coach at Castleton so it will be interesting to follow that program over the next few years to see if he can continue his recruiting success. If you look at the Morrisville roster you can see that there are only 2 freshmen. That is concerning for the program.
          In Oswego’s case Greg Haney just left last year and they have a full roster so there’s still hope that this is a short term bump in the road.

Both interesting cases of the assistants being more important that expected!

Comment

Elmira forward Katie Granato made SI's Faces In The Crowd for the 2/25/19 issue. It cites her current place on the DIII points leaderboard as well as her hat trick against Plattsburgh back in January.

Granato is the player I consider to be the favorite for the 2019 Laura Hurd Award. I think it will come down to her or Kenzie Torpy, the goalie for St. Thomas. I'm curious if others had other contenders in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              Elmira forward Katie Granato made SI's Faces In The Crowd for the 2/25/19 issue. It cites her current place on the DIII points leaderboard as well as her hat trick against Plattsburgh back in January.

Granato is the player I consider to be the favorite for the 2019 Laura Hurd Award. I think it will come down to her or Kenzie Torpy, the goalie for St. Thomas. I'm curious if others had other contenders in mind.
              Generally it's gone to a senior rewarding a career rather than just an individual season so certainly those are two names at the top of the list. However, can't discount what Bre Simon has done at Hamline even after Dodds and Bobrowski graduated.

I think Bre Simon DESERVES it most, but I'd say you're right about the favorites.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Generally it's gone to a senior rewarding a career rather than just an individual season so certainly those are two names at the top of the list. However, can't discount what Bre Simon has done at Hamline even after Dodds and Bobrowski graduated.

I think Bre Simon DESERVES it most, but I'd say you're right about the favorites.
                I'm certainly aware how it's gone to a senior after the year where Kayla Meneghin dominated the league but Greeneway from Lake Forest won the Laura Hurd.

At this point, I feel they need to be consistent with it until the day they endow a career award and can return this to a POY award. Because the best player isn't always a senior. In a true POY award, Meneghin should have won in 16, Conway should have won last season and I agree that Simon has been head and shoulders above everyone this year. I didn't mention her because of the award being treated as a career award. But they better keep it consistent.

Comment

Morrisville up 4-1 over Salve in the first CHC semifinal

Edit: 5-1 Mustangs after 2
                  Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-23-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Apparently Gustavus/St Thomas isn't at 7pm as it says on collegehockeystats. Tommies are up 1-0 after 1.
                    UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                      Apparently Gustavus/St Thomas isn't at 7pm as it says on collegehockeystats. Tommies are up 1-0 after 1.
                      Tommies kill off a more or less full 2 minute 5-3 in the second, still 1-0 after 2.

Upset Alert: Conn College is up 2-0 on Middlebury after 2. How bad have the past 9 days been for Midd?
                      UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Tommies take control in the 3rd and win 4-0

Middlebury scores twice in last minute with goalie pulled to tie it.
                        UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

And in a really interesting turn of events...After St Thomas handily beats the PW#10 team, Elmira, who didn't play and arguably hasn't played a good team since Jan. 7, moves ahead of them in the PW Rankings.
                          UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                            And in a really interesting turn of events...After St Thomas handily beats the PW#10 team, Elmira, who didn't play and arguably hasn't played a good team since Jan. 7, moves ahead of them in the PW Rankings.
                            Maybe they hadn't updated it with St Thomas's win or something....cuz now it shows St Thomas back at #1
                            UWS Ladyjackets

Comment

This weekend's action is all done. Here's an update to the playoff picture.

CHC (Autobid)
                              Quarterfinals - 2/23:
                              #6 Salve Regina 1 @ #3 Morrisville 6
                              #5 UNE 2 @ #4 Canton 0

Semis 3/2 and Championship 3/3 at #1 seed Endicott
                              #5 UNE @ #1 Endicott
                              #3 Morrisville vs #2 Nichols

MIAC (Autobid)
                              1st Round - 2/21
                              #5 St. Mary's 0 @ #4 GAC 5

Semifinals - 2/23
                              #4 GAC 0 @ #1 St. Thomas 4
                              #3 Augsburg 1 @ #2 Hamline 6

Championship - 3/2
                              #2 Hamline @ #1 St. Thomas

NCHA (Autobid)
                              Quarterfinals (two games + minigame if nec.) - 2/22 and 2/23
                              #6 St. Norbert @ #1 Adrian (9-1 Adrian Friday, 5-0 Adrian Saturday)
                              #5 Concordia (WI) @ #2 St. Scholastica (5-1 St. Scholastica Friday, 4-1 St. Scholastica Saturday)
                              #4 Trine @ #3 Lake Forest (8-1 LF on Friday, 5-0 LF on Saturday)

Semifinal/Championship - Weekend of March 1-3 at Adrian
                              #3 Lake Forest vs #2 St. Scholastica
                              Final:
                              Semifinal winner vs #1 Adrian

NEHC (Autobid)

Semifinals - 2/23
                              #7 UMB 2 @ #1 Norwich 3
                              #5 JWU 3 @ #3 Castleton 4

Final 3/2
                              #3 Castleton @ #1 Norwich

NESCAC (Autobid)

Quarterfinals - 2/23
                              #8 Wesleyan 0 @ #1 Williams 3
                              #7 Conn College 2 @ #2 Middlebury 3 [OT]
                              #6 Colby 1 @ #3 Hamilton 3
                              #5 Amherst 3 @ #4 Trinity 2 [OT]

Semifinals/Final - Weekend of March 1-3 at Williams
                              #5 Amherst @ #1 Williams
                              #2 Middlebury vs #3 Hamilton

Final:
                              Semi 1 Winner vs Semi 2 Winner

NEWHL (Autobid)
                              Semifinals - 2/23
                              #4 Oswego 1 @ #1 Plattsburgh 7
                              #3 Cortland 3 @ #2 Potsdam 2

Final - 3/2
                              #3 Cortland @ #1 Plattsburgh

UCHC (Pool B)
                              Opening Round - 2/23
                              #6 Neumann 0 @ #3 William Smith 6
                              #5 Utica 2 @ #4 Manhattanville 3

Semifinal - 3/2 at Elmira College
                              #3 William Smith vs #2 Nazareth
                              #4 Manhattanville vs #1 Elmira

Championship - 3/3 at Elmira College
                              Semifinal 1 winner vs Semifinal 2 winner

WIAC (Pool B)
                              Semifinals (two games) - 2/22 and 2/23
                              #4 UW-Superior @ #1 UW-River Falls (4-1 RF on Friday, 5-2 RF on Saturday)
                              #3 UW-Stevens Point @ #2 UW-Eau Claire (EC 5-1 on Friday, EC 4-1 on Saturday)

Championship - 3/2
                              #2 UW-Eau Claire @ #1 UW-River Falls
                              Last edited by Scott_TG; 02-23-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Saw a few things I hadn't seen in college hockey before this weekend. First, I was watching Minn-Duluth v. North Dakota on TV Friday night when the Fighting Sioux (sorry, I miss the old nickname) took a bench minor for interference. Turned out on relay, a North Dakota player on the bench grabbed the arm of a Duluth player and kept him from escaping the ND bench.

On Saturday, a Plattsburgh player was given 5 and a game misconduct for slew-footing. I admit I didn't see from my vantage point exactly what happened. I'd love to see video as I suspect the camera had gave a good view of it. I wonder if the NEWHL will give supplemental discipline for that infraction.
                                Steve
                                Penn State Class of '95
                                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Working...
                                X