Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: D3 18-19 season

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    Lol, oh come on, it's not like it's a tough road trip for Plattsburgh. They can dial in these two upcoming shutout wins against the worst team in their league. Remember that Buffalo made their rink manager the interim coach for this season instead of finding a real coach. Another guy with no prior experience coaching women and look how that's gone.
    That would be Buffalo State...
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

If the season ended today and the teams leading their conference standings right now won the conference tournament....here is your field. (Pairwise ranking in parenthesis)

Colonial - Endicott (12)
      MIAC - St. Thomas (2)
      NCHA - Adrian (4)
      NEHC - Norwich (10)
      NESCAC - Middlebury (7)
      NEWHL - Plattsburgh (1)

Pool B - Elmira (3)
      Pool C - Hamline (5)
      Pool C - River Falls (6)
      Pool C - Eau Claire (8)

Have fun making a bracket with this while adhering to the limiting flights (500 miles or more) rule for first round and quarterfinal matchups. I haven't found a solution where a flight is avoidable yet.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

First Round:
        Endicott @ Plattsburgh
        Middlebury @ Norwich

QF:
        Adrian @ Elmira
        Eau Claire @ St. Thomas
        River Falls @ Hamline
        Endicott/Plattsbugh vs. Middlebury Norwich

Is there a flight in here I'm not seeing? If not, I don't even want to hear the term "bracket integrity" from the Committee except to say they didn't consider it.
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
          First Round:
          Endicott @ Plattsburgh
          Middlebury @ Norwich

QF:
          Adrian @ Elmira
          Eau Claire @ St. Thomas
          River Falls @ Hamline
          Endicott/Plattsbugh vs. Middlebury Norwich

Is there a flight in here I'm not seeing? If not, I don't even want to hear the term "bracket integrity" from the Committee except to say they didn't consider it.
          Touche...you've done it. Apparently I didn't ponder on it long enough. Didn't even consider Plattsburgh for the play-in round but you're right....it can be done that way. Plattsburgh gets hosed having to play a play-in game, but they do get the "weakest" team in the field on paper and then host again Saturday while Midd or Norwich would make the short trip across the lake to Platty.
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

I was just reading over the 2019 NCAA Division 111 Women’s Ice Hockey Championship Manual and the way I read it Hamline, River Falls and Eau Claire are all Pool B teams, along with Elmira. If that is accurate then only one of those 4 teams would make the tournament. Here are a couple of excerpts from the manual:

Pool A - 6 Pool B - 1 Pool C - 3

Pool B will consist of independent institutions and institutions that are members of conferences that do not meet the requirements for automatic qualification.

Pool B (4)
            Independents (4)
            University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire University of Wisconsin-River Falls
            University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point University of Wisconsin-Superior

Pool B (12)
            United Collegiate Hockey Conference (11)
            Chatham University Elmira College
            King’s College Lebanon Valley College Manhattanville College Nazareth College
            Neumann University Stevenson University Utica College
            Wilkes University William Smith College

Independents (1)
            Anna Maria College

Here is the link for the manual:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...ampsManual.pdf

If I am reading this wrong and someone can explain why that would be appreciated. If I am accurate the field will look significantly different.

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            If the season ended today and the teams leading their conference standings right now won the conference tournament....here is your field. (Pairwise ranking in parenthesis)

Colonial - Endicott (12)
            MIAC - St. Thomas (2)
            NCHA - Adrian (4)
            NEHC - Norwich (10)
            NESCAC - Middlebury (7)
            NEWHL - Plattsburgh (1)

Pool B - Elmira (3)
            Pool C - Hamline (5)
            Pool C - River Falls (6)
            Pool C - Eau Claire (8)

Have fun making a bracket with this while adhering to the limiting flights (500 miles or more) rule for first round and quarterfinal matchups. I haven't found a solution where a flight is avoidable yet.

Comment

Originally posted by canamfan44 View Post
              I was just reading over the 2019 NCAA Division 111 Women’s Ice Hockey Championship Manual and the way I read it Hamline, River Falls and Eau Claire are all Pool B teams, along with Elmira. If that is accurate then only one of those 4 teams would make the tournament. Here are a couple of excerpts from the manual:

Pool A - 6 Pool B - 1 Pool C - 3

Pool B will consist of independent institutions and institutions that are members of conferences that do not meet the requirements for automatic qualification.

Pool B (4)
              Independents (4)
              University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire University of Wisconsin-River Falls
              University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point University of Wisconsin-Superior

Pool B (12)
              United Collegiate Hockey Conference (11)
              Chatham University Elmira College
              King’s College Lebanon Valley College Manhattanville College Nazareth College
              Neumann University Stevenson University Utica College
              Wilkes University William Smith College

Independents (1)
              Anna Maria College

Here is the link for the manual:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...ampsManual.pdf

If I am reading this wrong and someone can explain why that would be appreciated. If I am accurate the field will look significantly different.
              Pool B is reserved for conferences that do not have an auto bid. This year that's the UCHC and the WIAC. UCHC is in 2-year waiver period and WIAC does not have the required 7 teams.

Teams that are eligible for Pool B ARE ALSO eligible for Pool C if they do not get the Pool B bid (which only one team will). The rest of the Pool A teams that don't win their conferences are put into Pool C along with the other Pool B teams and then the next three best teams according to the pairwise are given the Pool C slots.

I believe the field for next year will look like this once the UCHC gets its autobid.

UCHC winner
              Colonial winner (2-year probation period will be in effect to try and get back up to the required 7 teams after Canton and Morrisville leave to join the other SUNYs)
              NEHC winner
              NESCAC winner
              NEWHL winner
              MIAC winner
              NCHA winner

Pool B
              Pool C
              Pool C
              Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-12-2019, 02:03 PM.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              Oswego State '09

Comment

If they want to care a little more about bracket integrity and are willing to gamble, they should send Endicott to Elmira. Odds are heavily favored towards Elmira winning that matchup and if Endicott comes away with it they deserve a flight to the QF.

Whoever decided that the First Round had to be on March 6th really put unnecessary shackles on what the committee can do bracket-wise. Why take away the option of a First Round on Friday? Why preemptively take away flexibility?

A Friday first round would allow for a bracket that looks like:

Endicott/Adrian @ Elmira
                Norwich/Middlebury @ Plattsburgh
                Eau Claire @ St. Thomas
                River Falls @ Hamline

Not ideal, as the most fair First Rounds would be Endicott @ Middlebury and Norwich @ Eau Claire, but it keeps the top 3 teams out of the first round.

Maybe Lake Forest will shock us all and spare us the Adrian problem for one year. Or, looking at other 2nd place teams, is there any chance the NCAA waives the 23 miles over 500 should Morrisville get in over Endicott? They could let Morrisville bus 523 miles to Adrian for a first round in that scenario...

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  Pool B is reserved for conferences that do not have an auto bid. This year that's the UCHC and the WIAC. UCHC is in 2-year waiver period and WIAC does not have the required 7 teams.

Teams that are eligible for Pool B ARE ALSO eligible for Pool C if they do not get the Pool B bid (which only one team will). The rest of the Pool A teams that don't win their conferences are put into Pool C along with the other Pool B teams and then the next three best teams according to the pairwise are given the Pool C slots.

I believe the field for next year will look like this once the UCHC gets its autobid.

UCHC winner
                  Colonial winner (2-year probation period will be in effect to try and get back up to the required 7 teams after Canton and Morrisville leave to join the other SUNYs)
                  NEHC winner
                  NESCAC winner
                  NEWHL winner
                  MIAC winner
                  NCHA winner

Pool B
                  Pool C
                  Pool C
                  Once UCHC has the autobid, are there enough teams remaining for Pool B to exist? I seem to recall there being a minimum number of available teams required for there to be a “Pool B”, and if that minimum is not met, those teams are only eligible for “Pool C” bids. Exactly what that minimum is, I cannot remember... but I do not believe it was a “hard number”, but arrived at by “the magic ratio” (6.5:1?) that also dictates the size of the Championship field.

...but then again, I’m also rapidly-aging, so I’m not going to swear by my memory!
                  Last edited by Transplanted Tiger Fan; 02-12-2019, 03:19 PM.
                  Dave
                  RIT - '90

Comment

• Originally posted by Transplanted Tiger Fan View Post
                    Once UCHC has the autobid, are there enough teams remaining for Pool B to exist? I seem to recall there being a minimum number of available teams required for there to be a “Pool B”, and if that minimum is not met, those teams are only eligible for “Pool C” bids. Exactly what that minimum is, I cannot remember... but I do not believe it was a “hard number”, but arrived at by “the magic ratio” (6.5:1?) that also dictates the size of the Championship field.

...but then again, I’m also rapidly-aging, so I’m not going to swear by my memory!
                    I believe they will have 7, which I’m pretty sure is enough to keep it going.

4 WIAC, Northland, Anna Maria and Alvernia.

EDIT: upon further review, Alvernia is a member of the MAC so I have to imagine they will pursue UCHC affiliation which would leave six teams and if you’re correct about the 6.5 ratio, which I think you are, Pool b would be gone next year and everyone would be eligible for the 3 pool c slots.
                    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-12-2019, 04:30 PM.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                      I believe they will have 7, which I’m pretty sure is enough to keep it going.

4 WIAC, Northland, Anna Maria and Alvernia.

EDIT: upon further review, Alvernia is a member of the MAC so I have to imagine they will pursue UCHC affiliation which would leave six teams and if you’re correct about the 6.5 ratio, which I think you are, Pool b would be gone next year and everyone would be eligible for the 3 pool c slots.
                      As of October, Alvernia was announced as a member of the UCHC Also, Northland is a member of the NCHC (unless they're dropping out and I missed that?). It will leave Anna Maria and the WIAC schools, assuming the UCHC accepts Wilkes next season (they are an independent this year). WIAC really needs to try and find a way to get three more teams...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                        As of October, Alvernia was announced as a member of the UCHC Also, Northland is a member of the NCHC (unless they're dropping out and I missed that?). It will leave Anna Maria and the WIAC schools, assuming the UCHC accepts Wilkes next season (they are an independent this year). WIAC really needs to try and find a way to get three more teams...
                        They had a perfectly good conference with the NCHA and they pulled out of it 8ish years or so ago now? Not sure how long it’s been now.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

Maybe Lake Forest will shock us all and spare us the Adrian problem for one year. Or, looking at other 2nd place teams, is there any chance the NCAA waives the 23 miles over 500 should Morrisville get in over Endicott? They could let Morrisville bus 523 miles to Adrian for a first round in that scenario...
                          I’d still think that if Lake Forest beats Adrian in the NCHA championship and the other autobid favorites win that Adrian would get in over one of Eau Claire, Hamline, River Falls. Hamline will likely have played 3 games against St Thomas at that point and lost at least one. River Falls/Eau Claire will likely play each other two more times. If Eau Claire dominates those like they did last weekend, River Falls could be in trouble...Adrian has some pretty big wins, so I gotta believe they’d still be ahead.
                          UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                          NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                          Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            They had a perfectly good conference with the NCHA and they pulled out of it 8ish years or so ago now? Not sure how long it’s been now.
                            And clearly it’s hurt the quality of Superior and Stevens Point...Superior really hasn’t been good since then. Stevens Point similarly. River Falls always draws good players...don’t know where this good Eau Claire team came from. Lol
                            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

• Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                              And clearly it’s hurt the quality of Superior and Stevens Point...Superior really hasn’t been good since then. Stevens Point similarly. River Falls always draws good players...don’t know where this good Eau Claire team came from. Lol
                              It seems Eau Claire men and women have both kind of ascended together.
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Anna Maria has applied to the NEHC so that may also throw a wrench into things.

Comment

Working...
                                X