Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: D3 18-19 season

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
    Got to watch some amazing work in all the nets yesterday at the Panther/Cardinal. The 4 teams had collectively scored 89 goals in 20 games prior to Saturday and we got to see 2 exciting games with all of 3 total goals.
    Thanks to Coach Mandigo and Coach Houle for creating such a great event (Coach Crowley and Coach Skelly for bring their teams; and all the players and parents for the passion they bring) to cap off the Thanksgiving holiday!
    Sad to see the Polar Bears end the NESCAC non-conference unbeaten string at 8 with their 4-0 loss to Manhattanville.
    PooBears will be in a dogfight with Trinity.... for last place this year. Wesley and Colby of all teams, will pass them by.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet
      Yes, I often find that a stranger from somewhere in the ether typing words about his opinion of the comparison of a couple of teams that I haven't actually seen will bring out that sort of totally proportionate response.
      Lol, not very well worded, but well said nonetheless. You might say I feel a bit of contempt towards the over-opinionated little moron who is another man who has not lived or played our sport but thinks he knows it all when he really knows so little.
      Last edited by shelfit; 11-29-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

D3hockey.com poll is out. Only a 9/8 swap between GAC and St. Thomas.

# School (1st votes) [Prev Rank]
        1 Adrian (10) [1]
        2 Plattsburgh State (4) [2]
        3 Elmira [3]
        4 Norwich [4]
        5 UW-River Falls (1) [5]
        6 Middlebury [6]
        7 Hamline [7]
        8 St. Thomas [9]
        9 Gustavus Adolphus [8]
        10 UW-Eau Claire [10]

Comment

USCHO poll is now out. A few more changes here.

Rnk Team
          1 Adrian (12) [1]
          2 Plattsburgh (3) [2]
          3 Elmira [3]
          4 Norwich [4]
          5 Wisconsin-River Falls [6]
          6 Middlebury [5]
          7 St. Thomas [8]
          8 Hamline [7]
          9 Gustavus Adolphus [9]
          10 Wisconsin-Eau Claire [10]

Comment

Middlebury alumna Emily Fluke is one of two fan vote winners for the NWHL All-Star Game taking place in Nashville. Fluke is the captain of the Connecticut Whale.

Comment

New polls are out:

USCHO
              Rnk Team
              1 Adrian [13] (1)
              2 Plattsburgh [2] (2)
              3 Norwich (4)
              4 Wisconsin-River Falls (5)
              5 Elmira (3)
              6 Middlebury (6)
              7 St. Thomas (7)
              8 Hamline (8)
              9 Wisconsin-Eau Claire (10)
              10 Gustavus Adolphus (9)
              Others receiving votes: Williams 7, Connecticut College 7, Augsburg 1, William Smith 1

D3hockey.com
              # School
              1 Adrian [10] (1)
              2 Plattsburgh State [4] (2)
              3 Norwich (4)
              4 UW-River Falls [1] (5)
              5 Elmira (3)
              6 Hamline (7)
              7 Middlebury (6)
              8 St. Thomas (8)
              9 UW-Eau Claire (10)
              10 Gustavus Adolphus (9)
              Others receiving votes: Williams 5, Connecticut College 2

Comment

St. Thomas 3 River Falls 1 final from last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
                  St. Thomas 3 River Falls 1 final from last night.
                  In looking at the D3 standings for all the conferences there are only 3 undefeated teams remaining:

St. Thomas
                  William Smith
                  Nazareth

I think most impressive of these is first-year program Nazareth but I haven't really seen anyone talking about them on this forum. Surely they deserve some recognition and kudos, especially as they head to Elmira this weekend to finish this half of the year. How awesome would it be if they can finish off their first semester of hockey and remain undefeated?!!! I know nothing about this program. Who can give some insights? Would love to know more about them!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    In looking at the D3 standings for all the conferences there are only 3 undefeated teams remaining:

St. Thomas
                    William Smith
                    Nazareth

I think most impressive of these is first-year program Nazareth but I haven't really seen anyone talking about them on this forum. Surely they deserve some recognition and kudos, especially as they head to Elmira this weekend to finish this half of the year. How awesome would it be if they can finish off their first semester of hockey and remain undefeated?!!! I know nothing about this program. Who can give some insights? Would love to know more about them!
                    Look at Elmira's first year. They won a national championship. Then backed it up a year later.
                    Russell Jaslow
                    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      Look at Elmira's first year. They won a national championship. Then backed it up a year later.
                      I was aware of that tidbit of ancient history. The reality is D3 was pretty awful hockey back then and it has come a very long way since those days. There are still a lot of brutal D3 programs but overall it is way better hockey from the middle of the pack and up of course. Are you thinking Nazareth has a chance to replicate that feat or just pumping up the old tires from that part of Elmira's history?! Interesting that Elmira has a chance this weekend to be the first team this season to beat Nazareth. I would guess that will be all the motivation Elmira's going to need. I plan to tune in to Elmira's broadcast if I have time and I think I'll be pulling for Nazareth as the obvious underdogs.
                      Last edited by shelfit; 12-13-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Nazareth's first year success is a great story but take a look at their schedule so far this season. I haven't seen Elmira play this year but based on what I know about these two programs my guess is that Elmira beats Naz by at least 5 goals this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeydad23 View Post
                          Nazareth's first year success is a great story but take a look at their schedule so far this season. I haven't seen Elmira play this year but based on what I know about these two programs my guess is that Elmira beats Naz by at least 5 goals this weekend.
                          Naz's schedule has been extremely weak. The best team they've beaten has a record of 3-8-1 and they are ranked 66th of 66 in the SOS rank column on the DIII women's KRACH chart. I'd be shocked and very impressed if they hung in close vs Elmira.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                            Naz's schedule has been extremely weak. The best team they've beaten has a record of 3-8-1 and they are ranked 66th of 66 in the SOS rank column on the DIII women's KRACH chart. I'd be shocked and very impressed if they hung in close vs Elmira.
                            No question their schedule has not been overly strong and they play in a very new and very imbalanced conference (same goes for William Smith and Elmira but Elmira will always have a stronger out of conference schedule), but you still have to score goals at one end of the ice and keep goals from being scored at your end of the ice to win in general let alone to remain undefeated. Keep in mind Nazareth is in its first year and then look at many other older programs that are still terrible every year, and compare them to other young programs like Kings, LVC, Wilkes, and some others and it's like night vs day! I think they deserve more credit than they've gotten so far no matter what the overall circumstances are.

P.S. I don't have a horse in this race. All my unborn daughters are already committed to BC. I wanted to make sure I got those verbals in before the new rule change takes effect.
                            Last edited by shelfit; 12-13-2018, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              I think they deserve more credit than they've gotten so far no matter what the overall circumstances are.
                              I've seen this Nazareth team play... They have speed and are relentless on the puck. Very well coached and all of the players have bought in to the system. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take one from Elmira.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                                I've seen this Nazareth team play... They have speed and are relentless on the puck. Very well coached and all of the players have bought in to the system. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they take one from Elmira.
                                I think I'll be able to tune in for tonight's game. Not sure about for tomorrow though. Looking forward to it. There's going to be an awful lot of purple & gold battling it out on the ice tonight! Golden Flyers @ Soaring Eagles...both look like birds of prey! This should be a fun one tonight!

And the Nazareth coach recruited 27 players in his first year. Wilkes took two years and two coaches to recruit 9 players. Where would you rather play?! Lmao. You can tell by roster size which schools / AD's know what they are doing and are making a proper commitment to our sport and which don't have a clue. Whatever the salaries are, Nazareth is getting more than their money's worth out of their coach and Wilkes is getting ripped off by theirs. There are other teams similar to Wilkes that couldn't recruit a full roster (using 21 as the minimum) but Wilkes is the most extreme example. I wish there was a rule in place that required a program to have and maintain a minimum of 16 players in order to participate in women's hockey. That gives you 2 goalies, 5 D, and 9 forwards. For player safety alone that should be the minimum standard required. This is supposed to be college hockey not youth hockey or intramural hockey. Most of those types of teams have no problem fielding teams of 16 players. How can a college coach not do at least that?!
                                Last edited by shelfit; 12-14-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X