Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: CCC Hockey Coaches Poll

Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
    Becker has been a doormat for the conference since the conference began. Becker and Endicott both played in the old ECAC-Northeast, the conference before the CCC. I don't think they really developed a rivalry, per se, but I do think there may be some history, mostly slanted toward Endicott.

I think this just may be a case of catching Becker early and then running the score up. Neither team is really disciplined and both react and are susceptible to taking foolish penalties at bad times.
    If I recall correctly Endicott was club until five or six years ago so they can't have much history with anyone. I'm not even sure they went varsity before the CCC replaces the ECAC Northeast.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinocoach View Post
      It seems larger than one player. On Friday night, the played the first period as well as any team I have seen so far this year. They had a jump in their step. Salve was stride-for-stride with UNE until UNE scored a couple of goals. Also, early in the second period, with the score 2-0 UNE, Salve had two excellent chances to score. One opportunity saw the Salve player at the side of the net, with the puck, and the UNE goalie out of the net. When he didn't score on that play, it seemed as though the Salve players lost their spirit. You can recognize it when the players shoulders drop and the extra step just isn't there. At that point in the game, still plenty of time to play, to appear to give up, is telling of a much larger problem.

Then last night's game, another 9-0 drubbing from UNE. That needed to be a "response" game, and it, in a way it was and the response was dismal. There is still a lot time left in the season, but the Salve has a lot of work to do to recover from this. With two games against Endicott and two games against Curry still on their schedule they need to get right. I kind of feel for Becker next week after enduring a 15-0 loss to Endicott and coming up against a good Salve team that has to be stung but this weekends results.
      Salve was totally embarrassed by a very good UNE team. UNE is not 9-0 (twice) better than salve and something is definitely wrong down in Newport. I know they have some injuries and lost a couple other guys BUT as noted above they are still a very good team. With 8 CCC games left they have time to turn it around and need to start this weekend. A lot of big CCC games still to be played and a lot of movement can still occur. If they can right the ship they will still be a tough out come playoff time. I’ve said it all year watch out for Curry. They are a very good TEAM, and i emphasize TEAM. This weekend will tell a lot how close they are to UNE. Endicott is playing their best hockey of the season so don’t count them out either. Home ice wont mean anything in the CCC when it comes to winning it all. History the last 3-4 years have shown that. Salve lost to UNE last year in RI, UNE lost the year before top BNichols up in Biddeford. Stay tuned.

Comment

NEFAN I agree with you regarding Curry. Both of the games against Wentworth this past weekend began with Curry falling behind 3-1 before the Curry team came roaring back. Curry scored 5 unanswered goals on Friday and three unanswered goals on Saturday, the final goal in OT. That usually is an indicator of a team with character. This weekend with UNE will tell us lots about both teams. I know one thing, if UNE jumps out to a fast start, they better not let up on Curry. They just don't want to lose.

Endicott outscoring Becker 20-0 over the weekend is impressive. Not sure of the character of Becker, They lose on Thursday, at home, 5-0 and then travel to Endicott and give up 15. The get outshot 108-50, clearly a lost weekend for Becker.

Just as a passing thought, perhaps for further discussion, What do folks think of a team, any team, put up 6 goals after leading 9-0 at the end of the 2nd period? I know this isn't the house league, and I'm advocating one way or the other, I'm just wondering.

Comment

Just as a passing thought, perhaps for further discussion, What do folks think of a team, any team, put up 6 goals after leading 9-0 at the end of the 2nd period? I know this isn't the house league, and I'm advocating one way or the other, I'm just wondering.

If Becker was running around taking cheap shots, then putting up 15 is fine with me but if that's NOT happening, it's bush league

Comment

as/ the D3 threads its "No class"

Comment

What's the alternative? Not taking any shots? Taking only outside shots? What if those go in too?
              #OneKnight

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
                What's the alternative? Not taking any shots? Taking only outside shots? What if those go in too?
                Tough situation..maybe move dmen up to forwards and forwards back..My high school coach wouldn't let us shoot if we had not made more than 5 passes in the offensive zone in these situations..also sit your top 2 lines....maybe have your backup netminders play defense

Comment

I've been on both sides of this as a player and a coach. My old HS Coach made us make extra passes, played the D on forward lines, even dressed the no.1 goalie to skate forward. No matter what you do, you never look good. High Schools in Maine have a Mercy Rule, where the clock goes to running time in the third period is the goal difference is greater than 8 goals. Even that is embarrassing.

The only answer I have is to spend more time and money on your hockey program, so you don't have to face this. This can't be good for recruiting! Hopefully Becker didn't have prospects at the game.

Comment

If you have played hockey, you know how to not run up the score

Comment

I've been on both sides of this as a player and a coach. My old HS Coach made us make extra passes, played the D on forward lines, even dressed the no.1 goalie to skate forward. No matter what you do, you never look good. High Schools in Maine have a Mercy Rule, where the clock goes to running time in the third period is the goal difference is greater than 8 goals. Even that is embarrassing.

The only answer I have is to spend more time and money on your hockey program, so you don't have to face this. This can't be good for recruiting! Hopefully Becker didn't have prospects at the game.
                      As a coach in Maine HS Hockey is 10 goals automatic running times no matter the period....Refs can ask the coaches at 6 and 8 if they want running time in the 3rd

Comment

I am going to keep an eye on the Salve at Becker game tonight. Becker has to be feeling a bit stung by being out scored 20-0 last weekend vs Endicott, and Salve has to feel the need to put up a big number tonight and for the two game series after the "lost weekend" against UNE and being outscore 18-0. It is almost unbelievable to have two teams face off against each other after being outscored a combined 38-0 the previous weekend!

Nichols will have a huge test this weekend against Wentworth. Wentworth needs to learn how to close the deal on some of these games. They had Endicott 3-1 in both games last weekend and lost. Nichols seems to be righting the ship within the conference, they have 3 straight conference wins and five in row since coming back. That should be a fun series.

Comment

I am going to keep an eye on the Salve at Becker game tonight. Becker has to be feeling a bit stung by being out scored 20-0 last weekend vs Endicott, and Salve has to feel the need to put up a big number tonight and for the two game series after the "lost weekend" against UNE and being outscore 18-0. It is almost unbelievable to have two teams face off against each other after being outscored a combined 38-0 the previous weekend!

Nichols will have a huge test this weekend against Wentworth. Wentworth needs to learn how to close the deal on some of these games. They had Endicott 3-1 in both games last weekend and lost. Nichols seems to be righting the ship within the conference, they have 3 straight conference wins and five in row since coming back. That should be a fun series.
                          Hopefully Salve can wear their own unis this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                            Hopefully Salve can wear their own unis this time.
                            One can hope!

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                              If you have played hockey, you know how to not run up the score
                              You're probably right, but I never did, hence my question
                              #OneKnight

Comment

You're probably right, but I never did, hence my question
                                Truthfully, Knight, as a coach, it is really hard to pull back the reins on your players. But, you do things like play kids who aren't normally on your special teams and let them get some time on the special teams. You play the number 3 keeper to give them some minutes and experience. I would never tell a player to either not shoot or purposely shoot wide or into the goalie. My HS coach always told us bad habits are easy to form and tough to break and, good habits are tough to form and easy to break! You could double shift your third and fourth lines. Finally, have your players try somethings you've been working on in practice but haven't put into the game yet.

There is an old hockey saying that "what goes around, comes around" and you don't ever want to forget that. Everyone who has played this great game has been in the skates of a team that loses a very lopsided game. It can be humbling for sure, but it can also help develop a team to get better.

Also, having said all of that, there are some teams and some coaches, that actually deserve a good old fashion thumping!

Comment

Working...
                                X