Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Where was this team in November, this team that just skated in the Beanpot, Part 3? The infirmary, I guess. Gabel, Giguere, Pejzlova, Sauvé? Bring em on! But not too much. Not into OT! A really fast game, enabled by 16 extra opportunities to catch one’s breath:16 penalties! (One ref’s whistle seemed to be attached to his trachea.) Penalties evenly divided, but that just seemed to add to their arbitrariness. Harvard continued very strong on PK (8-0), and pretty ineffective on PP (1-8). (Are these man-up, man-down skills so different that they can’t translate better? I especially don’t get poor PPs.) So, the usual scoring suspects: Gabel (2), Pejzlova, KDR (five games in a row now), Tse. Tse? Yes, a late efflorescence, given PP opportunities. Here’s hoping we’ll stay alive in the play-offs to see the Golden Knights again, so all those seniors and all those freshmen, joined by all those sophomores and all those juniors, can tear up the ice against them one more time. They each had their moments (Gilmore, in particular, was a whirlwind). And then there was Reed . . .

(BTW, I was completely unprepared for the bellowing coming from the Clarkson bench. Maybe that’s the secret of their success: coach treats every game like a practice, as if the team was being thumped all season long.)
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 02-17-2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
      Harvard continued very strong on PK (8-0), and pretty ineffective on PP (1-8). (Are these man-up, man-down skills so different that they can’t translate better? I especially don’t get poor PPs.)
      Harvard's most outstanding player is its goaltender. That's great on the PK, but doesn't make much difference on the PP.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Harvard's most outstanding player is its goaltender. That's great on the PK, but doesn't make much difference on the PP.
        How true. But as fans we basically expect our PP to be 100%. It’s just built in to the game, regardless of stats, as is never crediting the other team’s PK.

Comment

But as fans we basically expect our PP to be 100%.
          There were seasons where it seemed like it was. Some teams never figured out that they should cover Corriero on that weakside post.

Comment

Lindsey Reed's save totals for the last five games:

52, 23, 51, 45, 48

Harvard's D needs to tighten up in their own end. Better structure would be a good start. They can't rely on Reed to bail them out time and again.

Comment

Despite their meager two point performance against lowly Brown and lowly Yale, this wacky ECAC weekend has delivered Harvard an unexpected present: no trip to Clarkson for the conference quarters! Even for a team that seems to play best when outclassed, winning two at Cheel would be a tall order. And yes, I’ll give this mercurial Crimson outfit a 50/50 chance at Colgate.

So many fruitless one-on-nones break-outs for Harvard this weekend that I am beginning to think these spontaneous shoot-out moments are more nerve wracking for the skater than the goalie. Also, it should be noted that it was senior day/weekend for the two teams that are going nowhere next week, and it was palpable in the determination of their play, especially in a Brown team with such a beleaguered recent past. My virtual BFF Mike Rubin was at his usual best calling the game, and really brought home this final appearance aspect of what can seem to visitors like just another pom-pom event for the home team. But ninety-plus percent of the seniors are lacing em up for the last time, and, as Rubin pointed out, it’s an abrupt end for the parents as well, some of whom began the lacing when these young women were two or three years-old. “Emotional time for sure.” So, if you can smile even as you cringe at “top shelf” being “where momma keeps the cookies,” and indulge the impromptu recollection of a 2006 bus trip from Providence to Canton, you can appreciate the free spirit of a long-suffering Brown hockey guy. You could almost think of him as the play-by-play world’s answer to a certain forum tiger: passionate to a fault, with occasional bits of theatre thrown in.

Go Crimson!

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                Hard to believe that Harvard and Yale records are so similar when Harvard continues to get the u18 National team players. Actually says something for Yale that they kept up record wise with Harvard. Tougher admissions, not the u18 players and basically the same record. Time for Harvard to move on?
                You raise another very good point. While Flygh's performance at Yale was deemed not good enough by the new AD to save his job
                (28W-52L-11T past 3 seasons), Stone's remarkably similar record for Harvard in the same time frame of 29W-48L-12T is actually far more incriminating as she's rostered 9-10 National Team players each of those seasons. While one could argue that anyone can have a bad year, wasting proven talent year after year should be a huge red flag to any AD who's paying attention. You would never know, watching some of the games this season, that the Crimson had anywhere near that kind of talent. The often looked lethargic and uninterested. Without Reed to backstop, the record would have been abysmal.

Like Murphy at Brown a few years back, Stone is long past her expiry date: her style just doesn't work anymore as results in recent years clearly show. She's undoubtedly the beneficiary to date of the fact that, unlike Beckett at Yale, Scalise has not yet announced his retirement as AD. Too often, as appears to be the case here, longstanding ADs tend to be blinded by sentimentality and cozy relationships with longstanding coaches, rather than making any objective assessment of their abilities and results.

Harvard should have higher standards. Sad.
                Last edited by Trillium; 03-01-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

There were seasons where it seemed like it was. Some teams never figured out that they should cover Corriero on that weakside post.
                  Trust me we knew. There was this other problem called Julie freaking Chu to attempt to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                    Trust me we knew. There was this other problem called Julie freaking Chu to attempt to deal with.
                    Sorry -- I didn't intend to undo years of therapy. And for Corriero's final year, there was Vaillancourt as well. But Corriero scored 150 goals in her career. At a certain point, a team had to take her away and make the Crimson find a goal somewhere else. But, yeah, that was a hard line to try to match up against.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson (again) 2018-19

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                      You raise another very good point. While Flygh's performance at Yale was deemed not good enough by the new AD to save his job
                      (28W-52L-11T past 3 seasons), Stone's remarkably similar record for Harvard in the same time frame of 29W-48L-12T is actually far more incriminating as she's rostered 9-10 National Team players each of those seasons. While one could argue that anyone can have a bad year, wasting proven talent year after year should be a huge red flag to any AD who's paying attention. You would never know, watching some of the games this season, that the Crimson had anywhere near that kind of talent. The often looked lethargic and uninterested. Without Reed to backstop, the record would have been abysmal.

Like Murphy at Brown a few years back, Stone is long past her expiry date: her style just doesn't work anymore as results in recent years clearly show. She's undoubtedly the beneficiary to date of the fact that, unlike Beckett at Yale, Scalise has not yet announced his retirement as AD. Too often, as appears to be the case here, longstanding ADs tend to be blinded by sentimentality and cozy relationships with longstanding coaches, rather than making any objective assessment of their abilities and results.

Harvard should have higher standards. Sad.
                      I don’t want to end the season letting this stand unaddressed, especially since I know you, of all people, are not a troll.

“Her style just doesn’t work anymore.”

The 2016-17 Crimson had lost Maschmeyer, Picard, Parker and D’Oench to graduation and were left with the most mediocre roster in recent memory, certainly on the blue line. Harvard went 5-19-5, the worst record of Katy Stone’s career. But that team also ended up playing ten OTs, including seven against nationally ranked teams, in which they went 0-3-4. That season did not come from a coach in decline.

“Harvard should have higher standards. Sad.”

Higher standards, sad though it might seem, can mean more than win/loss records, and often include those of institutional loyalty, built on history and performance. They also implicitly allow for down times. But also implicit in long-standing trusted relationships is the understanding that an employee of a certain stature will know when the time comes to call it quits. This calls for one side to have the grace and the other side to have the integrity to live with that timing. There’s no good reason to question either.

Regarding Stone’s present team, my fan clock sees next year as the culmination of a three-year rebuild, which seems to be moving ahead. But the incoming recruits will be critical. New line additions will have to unleash Hughes, Gilmore, Jovanovich, Petrie, and KDR to make scoring a habit, not just a happenstance. And we need D! We have some young talent, but Ds seem to take forever to develop (why is that?), and we need a real blueliner, or two, from day one. It would be criminal to have a .500 team in front of Reed for the next three years. But Lethargy? Indifference? I haven’t seen it, and with Fusco and Laing on the ice it would have been hard to get away with. Fatigue, maybe, especially with the past few seasons’ involuntary short benches. And yes, there’s been more than enough poor play, but mostly from those whose trajectory has been downward, which happens, however Machiavellian the recruiting. But I’m going to give it a few more years before putting in a call to Josh McDaniels . . . er, I mean Maura Crowell. (Personally, I wouldn’t trust Lee-J in the Beanpot )
                      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 03-07-2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Regarding Stone’s present team, my fan clock sees next year as the culmination of a three-year rebuild, which seems to be moving ahead. But the incoming recruits will be critical. New line additions will have to unleash Hughes, Gilmore, Jovanovich, Petrie, and KDR to make scoring a habit, not just a happenstance. And we need D! We have some young talent, but Ds seem to take forever to develop (why is that?), and we need a real blueliner, or two, from day one. It would be criminal to have a .500 team in front of Reed for the next three years. But Lethargy? Indifference? I haven’t seen it, and with Fusco and Laing on the ice it would have been hard to get away with. Fatigue, maybe, especially with the past few seasons’ involuntary short benches. And yes, there’s been more than enough poor play, but mostly from those whose trajectory has been downward, which happens, however Machiavellian the recruiting. But I’m going to give it a few more years before putting in a call to Josh McDaniels . . . er, I mean Maura Crowell. (Personally, I wouldn’t trust Lee-J in the Beanpot
                        This is one of the best and most evenhanded recaps I've seen on this thread or any other thread in a long time. Not since Dave1382 patrolled the board a decade or so ago.

What Trillium doesn't understand (and his bias against Harvard is so transparent, it's hilarious) is that Harvard doesn't fire coaches unless there is an egregious display of behavior towards the student athletes or the program spirals into disarray with a mass exodus of players because of said treatment. Mark Mazzoleni did his level best to infuriate alumni, parents and former players with his attitude towards the Harvard community, yet it was his treatment of players that ultimately got him his walking papers (and even then, it was a parting of the ways that was spurred on by an offer from the Green Bay Gamblers).

One of my issues with the Harvard program and coaching staff is that building depth is not considered crucial to success. Thus a group of 'star' players get the majority of ice time at the expense of others who languish on the bench. This wears the team down towards March and I believe is one reason we have trouble getting far in our own tournament, let alone the NCAAs.

Comment

Former Crimson player Sami Reber is building an impressive resume as a coach at her high school alma mater. One would think she'd be a candidate for a (head?) coaching job at her college alma mater in the not-too-distant future.

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_c...21ba61a2b.html
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Former Crimson player Sami Reber is building an impressive resume as a coach at her high school alma mater. One would think she'd be a candidate for a (head?) coaching job at her college alma mater in the not-too-distant future.

https://www.hometownsource.com/sun_c...21ba61a2b.html
                            Et tu, D2D?

Quite the story, despite “some bumps in the road” in the current 27-4-0 season! And those four sets of sisters on the roster!! That’s a remarkable gathering of hockey gene pools, even for Minnesota.

Reber was a strong, gutsy but disciplined skater as I remember her, and tough to match up against when skating with Hillary Crowe. Given her repeated success coaching a doubtless talented corps at Edina, it would certainly be nice to think of her as being in the pipeline, however long that might be. (I wonder if anyone has ever gone from behind a high school bench to HC in the Bigs.) Exciting. Refreshing. In due course!

Thanks for post.
                            Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 03-15-2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Reber was a strong, gutsy but disciplined skater as I remember her, and tough to match up against when skating with Hillary Crowe. Given her repeated success coaching a doubtless talented corps at Edina, it would certainly be nice to think of her as being in the pipeline, however long that might be. (I wonder if anyone has ever gone from behind a high school bench to HC in the Bigs.)
                              Reber was an assistant to Maura Crowell at UMD in 2015-16, so she does have NCAA coaching experience. Coaches like Steve Sertich and Jim Scanlan were coaching girls HS before they moved to women's D-I. Offhand, I don't remember a female coach doing the same thing, but I'm guessing it has happened at some point.

I would guess that being a HS coach somewhere like Edina or Eden Prairie has some benefits over coaching at least a few of the lesser D-I jobs, not saying Harvard is one of those. The chance to combine coaching with teaching jobs can make for a better salary than the low end of D-I. Some of her teams at Edina might offer the chance to coach more talent than at a Union or Brown. It would come down to what age group a coach wants to work with and where she wants to live.

Comment

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/wic...20190412hblnmr

(I’m not sure you guys away from the Boston media know just how many people are motivated by their own experience to run this amazing event for charity.)

Comment

Working...
                                X