Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    The bracket is updated with final results, which should cut down on a ton of input: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ton-college-bc
    That's a pretty cool little calculator there. In my calculations, looks like a HE team is heading to rodentapolis or Madison depending on which one wins the wwcha title.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      That's a pretty cool little calculator there. In my calculations, looks like a HE team is heading to rodentapolis or Madison depending on which one wins the wwcha title.
      Well, there are plenty of scenarios that have BC/NU in the top 6. The most likely way a WHEA team is going west though is if BC loses to BU in the semifinals.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Grant - isn't #8 1st out due to CHA AQ?
        It is. The autobids are added into the final field once the full bracket is filled out. Until that time, it just shows the top 10 in the Pairwise since there's no CHA champ to assign #8 to yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          My own quick work seems to suggest that if BC wins the semi over BU, then it is both difficult (impossible?) to get BU back in the field, and makes it difficult for BC to remain 7th and take a trip west.

OTOH, if BU wins that semi, there are results in the ECAC which leave BC out by a strict interpretation of PWR (which the committee could bypass), and if UMD or OSU wins the WCHA, then BC can easily be out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
            My own quick work seems to suggest that if BC wins the semi over BU, then it is both difficult (impossible?) to get BU back in the field, and makes it difficult for BC to remain 7th and take a trip west.

OTOH, if BU wins that semi, there are results in the ECAC which leave BC out by a strict interpretation of PWR (which the committee could bypass), and if UMD or OSU wins the WCHA, then BC can easily be out as well.
            Yes I agree with all of this -- I haven't been able to find a way to keep BU in if BC beats them on Saturday. Same with BC in 7th, I can't find a way to get BC below 6th if they beat BU.

I think BC's main path to getting in with a loss to BU right now is hoping for Clarkson/Cornell (ECAC), NU/BU (WHEA), and UM/UW (WCHA) champions. With those I think we're good. Not that backing into the tournament and having to go to Wisconsin or Minnesota is anything to be excited about.

Comment

Yes I agree with all of this -- I haven't been able to find a way to keep BU in if BC beats them on Saturday. Same with BC in 7th, I can't find a way to get BC below 6th if they beat BU.

I think BC's main path to getting in with a loss to BU right now is hoping for Clarkson/Cornell (ECAC), NU/BU (WHEA), and UM/UW (WCHA) champions. With those I think we're good. Not that backing into the tournament and having to go to Wisconsin or Minnesota is anything to be excited about.
              I think I am more interested in what the committee does, theoretically, if BU defeats BC, and NU wins the final, with all other results going according to seed EXCEPT Colgate winning the ECAC (as an example).
              In this case, you have:
              BU 7th with an RPI of 5698
              BC 9th with an RPI of 5780.

That's a huge RPI difference.
              Is the slight difference in CommOpp in favor of BU offset by the RPI?
              How much weight would the committee give to the 3-1 H2H advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                I think I am more interested in what the committee does, theoretically, if BU defeats BC, and NU wins the final, with all other results going according to seed EXCEPT Colgate winning the ECAC (as an example).
                In this case, you have:
                BU 7th with an RPI of 5698
                BC 9th with an RPI of 5780.

That's a huge RPI difference.
                Is the slight difference in CommOpp in favor of BU offset by the RPI?
                How much weight would the committee give to the 3-1 H2H advantage?
                I can't possibly imagine the committee flipping BC into the tournament in favor of BU if BU wins H2H 3-1. That's a massive advantage, arguably one that's bigger than the RPI advantage. There's just no way, IMO.

Comment

I was able to find a scenario where BU stays in even if they lose to BC: https://***********/Salzano14/status...05830378721281

There are still scenarios out there where Providence would get in even if they lose in the semifinals. How weird is that?

Comment

I was able to find a scenario where BU stays in even if they lose to BC: https://***********/Salzano14/status...05830378721281
                    You say that BU needs Northeastern to win HEA, but your bracket shows BC winning in that scenario and BU still in?
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      You say that BU needs Northeastern to win HEA, but your bracket shows BC winning in that scenario and BU still in?
                      You're right, what was I talking about there... that might have been necessary if Clarkson won rather than Cornell, off the top of my head... I'm running on not much sleep the last two nights lol

Comment

Working the BC over BU angle a little harder after today's games.....
                        If BC beats BU, then BU needs an RPI higher than either Providence and Princeton. (7 teams qualify plus the autobid from CHA)
                        Thus, Princeton needs to lose the ECAC semi and Providence needs to lose the HEA semi.
                        Inputting both of those....the next best is that the teams which beat of those in the semis must lose the finals (Cornell and NE).
                        This, however, still leaves BU short by .0003 in the RPI.
                        Fiddling with the WCHA makes things worse.

So, it appears to me that BU is out if they lose the semi.

Comment

Yep... I think Harvard losing to Colgate did them in.

Comment

This is a bit of a weird one...

... but now that the CHA games are final (and they did make a difference in this), I cannot find a way for Ohio State to get an at-large bid IF Providence beats Northeastern.

(And there may not be a way if BU beats BC)

Comment

being the last one to include Providence in the top ten poll, I'm feeling somewhat vindicated, although surprised, that there are so many scenarios where they make it in
                              it also appears to me that unless WI wants to play OSU in the 1/4 finals, they should probably think about eliminating them Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                This is a bit of a weird one...

... but now that the CHA games are final (and they did make a difference in this), I cannot find a way for Ohio State to get an at-large bid IF Providence beats Northeastern.

(And there may not be a way if BU beats BC)
                                I'm finding the same result, and also with Princeton.

For OSU - they need to beat Wisconsin, and then they need either:
                                All of Princeton, BU and Providence lose in the semis, or
                                OSU needs to beat Minnesota as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X