Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    FWIW: Wisconsin played both Syracuse and Princeton in Madison this season. Syracuse in December, 6-1 and 9-1 wins; Princeton in October, a 4-3 win (that was that close) and a 3-0 win (that was 1-0 well into the 3rd period).
    Those Princeton games were nail biters. That is quite the quality 7 seed there.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
      Which means Princeton and Syracuse fly to the Midwest, and the committee, if they are thinking at all, make 2 ECAC v HEA games.

Syracuse gets the winner of Minny/Wisco and Princeton gets the loser.

You do not want Northeastern and Cornell to win.
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Final bracketology: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...nsin-minnesota

Trying to look at this from an unbiased perspective because I really don't want to go to Clarkson. And I really truly hate when they have a directive and they just disregard their directive. But if they were ever going to justify swapping teams for a cheaper bracket, it would be now. Cornell and BC are even tied in the Pairwise, so they could pretty much justify it however they want.

My heart wants us to go to NU but I truly hate the opacity with which this process takes place.
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Final bracketology: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...nsin-minnesota

Trying to look at this from an unbiased perspective because I really don't want to go to Clarkson. And I really truly hate when they have a directive and they just disregard their directive. But if they were ever going to justify swapping teams for a cheaper bracket, it would be now. Cornell and BC are even tied in the Pairwise, so they could pretty much justify it however they want.

My heart wants us to go to NU but I truly hate the opacity with which this process takes place.
          I cannot believe the length of bus trips is even in discussion.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I cannot believe the length of bus trips is even in discussion.
            You're telling me... I don't even think we'd be having this discussion if 2016 didn't happen.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Now that we've got the NCAA tournament field, I thought it would be interesting to see if either quality win games (Top 12 for PairWise, so I did likewise) or the remaining schedule had a bigger impact on whether a team finds themselves in the tournament or not. The hosting teams largely distinguished themselves in both categories, while it seems that winning roughly 85% of the games against "unranked" teams seemed to be the ticket to being on the right side of the bubble for the remaining teams.

While not a new conclusion for any sports fan, it's interesting to see the numbers show that those midseason games against Maine or Bemidji for example can be just as important as the conference tournament games to a team on the edge of making the national tournament.

PairWise Team Overall vs Top 12 vs Other
              1 Wisconsin 32-4-2 (0.8684) 11-3-2 (0.75) 21-1-0 (0.9545)
              2 Minnesota 30-5-1 (0.8472) 9-5-1 (0.6333) 21-0-0 (1)
              3 Northeastern 27-5-5 (0.7972) 9-4-3 (0.6562) 18-1-2 (0.9047)
              4 Clarkson 29-7-2 (0.7894) 7-4-1 (0.625) 22-3-1 (0.8653)
              5 Boston College 26-11-1 (0.6973) 6-8-0 (0.4285) 20-3-1 (0.8541)
              6 Cornell 23-5-6 (0.7647) 4-3-1 (0.5625) 19-2-5 (0.8269)
              7 Princeton 20-7-5 (0.7031) 2-5-2 (0.3333) 18-2-3 (0.8478)
              8 Providence 24-11-2 (0.6756) 3-7-0 (0.3) 21-4-2 (0.8148)
              9 Boston University 21-8-8 (0.6756) 4-5-2 (0.4545) 17-3-6 (0.7692)
              10 Ohio State 20-13-2 (0.6) 5-8-2 (0.4) 15-5-0 (0.75)
              11 Colgate 23-10-5 (0.6710) 4-6-1 (0.4090) 19-4-4 (0.7777)
              12 Minnesota Duluth 15-16-4 (0.4857) 6-11-1 (0.3611) 9-5-3 (0.6176)
              2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Yes! Nicole Haase did some harassing to the powers that be to finally get them to correct their numbers -- they even have the eligible teams right!
                I'm not sure if this changed at the same time as the PairWise, but USCHO's KRACH ratings are doing something different with the NEWHA teams too. Somehow they still get a rating, but are ranked 36-40. Comparing Grant's calculator ratings to the USCHO results in some strange changes in the rankings (Mankato +3, Maine -4, St. Cloud +4, for example).

After a little research, I see that Maine played Sacred Heart twice (2 8-0 victories, haha), so that explains their drop, but that doesn't directly explain the jump for Mankato and St. Cloud, or Ohio State's ascension to #5. Maybe Maine dropping for scheduling a NEWHA school made Maine comparatively worse, dropping all of the Hockey East schools down? I'm not going to spend much more time on it, but I'm curious if any number crunchers here have any thoughts on what USCHO is doing with the NEWHA schools / how it affects everybody else's rankings?
                2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Working...
                X