Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

There are several articles going around trying to make some sense of the Pairwise:

Here's mine which is BC focused:
    https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...nt-frozen-four

Here's Nicole Haase's for USCHO:
    https://www.uscho.com/2019/03/07/wom...possibilities/

Another one from Nicole for Victory Press:
    https://victorypress.org/2019/03/08/...tch-week-25-2/

And one from Nate Wells for NCAA.com:
    https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...t-bracketology

And lastly, one from Nate Vaughan at The Ice Garden:
    https://www.theicegarden.com/2019/3/...ogy-semifinals
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
      There are several articles going around trying to make some sense of the Pairwise:

Here's mine which is BC focused:
      https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...nt-frozen-four
      ... even though BU gains a head to head point against BC in the semifinals, it doesn’t affect the two teams’ common opponents record... but BU losing to PC does just enough to drop the comparison into BC’s lap.
      It wouldn't be unprecedented for the committee to decide that a +2 advantage in H2H trumps a PairWise win based on a slight advantage gained by BU losing in the HEA final that made a change in COP.

Like Al Davis used to say, "Just win, baby."
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Like Al Davis used to say, "Just win, baby."
        Yeah, most of those "just win, baby" folks have mush for brains now if they are even still alive.

Football still has safety issues but thankfully there are better player safety rules than when these idiots played.

The Raider's way.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

You do know that wasn't the point I was making, right?

Comment

You do know
            I only know that I was trying figure out a way to use "mush for brains" in a post...

Oh yeah and there probably is a point relating to some eastern team, nobody shows up to watch, needing to win to take care of bidness, right?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              I only know that I was trying figure out a way to use "mush for brains" in a post...
              And so you thought of me? I can't say you were wrong!

I wish that the action over the next couple of weekends was a bit more spread out. Princeton at Cornell starts a couple of hours before the WCHA tourney, but with the weather forecast, I'll likely be on the road for most of it and there won't be opportunity to watch the games outside of Minneapolis. The NCAA quarters wind up pretty much the same way. You wait all season for these games, and then they're gone in a blink.

Comment

And so you thought of me?
                You're implying that I think. I try but....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlejsgxOxrU

you were wrong!
                I so often am...

I probably should thank you for not saying you would love to "meet" me at the rink.
                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 03-08-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  I'm still trying to figure out what "context" means in regard to any of the posts.
                  "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                    I'm still trying to figure out what "context" means in regard to any of the posts.
                    It's a rabbit hole you should avoid...

Comment

I'm at the BC game so I can't really run the numbers but I think Princeton losing means BC should be in as long as UM or UW wins WCHA, yes?

Comment

Nevermind -- I also see us out if both Colgate & BU win

Comment

For the ECAC Teams To get into the NC$$
                          Clarkson in no matter what happens
                          Cornell is in unless BC Beats BU, they lose the ECAC Title to Colgate and Ohio State wins the WCHA
                          Colgate - Win the ECAC
                          Princeton - BC Beats BU, Clarkson or Cornell win the ECAC and Wisco or Minny win the WCHA

If Colgate beats Cornell for the ECAC Crown and Northeastern beats BC for the HE Crown and Wisco or Minny win the WCHA

3 Northeastern
                          4 Clarkson
                          5 BC
                          6 Cornell

So will the committee send Cornell to Northeastern and BC to Clarkson or will they save on bus travel/hotels and have Clarkson - Cornell and BC - Northeastern as the games?

If Ohio State wins the WCHA then we have Cornell out of the NC$$

3 Northeastern
                          4 Clarkson
                          5 BC
                          6 Ohio State

Will the committee save on bus fare and send Ohio State to Potsdam and have BC - Northeastern replay
                          Last edited by vicb; 03-09-2019, 04:19 PM.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Tomorrows results appear to be shuffling of the 1,2 and 4, 5 and 6 seeds.

The winner of Wisco vs Minny gets the 1 seed and the loser 2.
                            Northeastern 3
                            BC and Cornell win then its
                            3 Northeastern
                            4 BC
                            5 Cornell
                            6 Clarkson
                            BC and Clarkson win or Northeastern and Clarkson win
                            3 Northeastern
                            4 Clarkson
                            5 BC
                            6 Cornell
                            Northeastern and Cornell win
                            3 Northeastern
                            4 Cornell
                            5 Clarkson
                            6 BC

7 Princeton locked into 7
                            8 Syracuse locked into 8
                            Last edited by vicb; 03-09-2019, 08:02 PM.
                            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                              Tomorrows results appear to be shuffling of the 1,2 and 4, 5 and 6 seeds.

The winner of Wisco vs Minny gets the 1 seed and the loser 2.
                              Northeastern 3
                              BC and Cornell win then its
                              3 Northeastern
                              4 BC
                              5 Cornell
                              6 Clarkson
                              BC and Clarkson win or Northeastern and Clarkson win
                              3 Northeastern
                              4 Clarkson
                              5 BC
                              6 Cornell
                              Northeastern and Cornell win
                              3 Northeastern
                              4 Cornell
                              5 Clarkson
                              6 BC

7 Princeton locked into 7
                              8 Syracuse locked into 8
                              Which means Princeton and Syracuse fly to the Midwest, and the committee, if they are thinking at all, make 2 ECAC v HEA games.

Loser of Corn/Clark at Northeastern
                              Winner of Corn/Clark vs BC. BC at home only if they win.

That's too simple, though, so they will mess it up somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                                Which means Princeton and Syracuse fly to the Midwest, and the committee, if they are thinking at all, make 2 ECAC v HEA games.
                                FWIW: Wisconsin played both Syracuse and Princeton in Madison this season. Syracuse in December, 6-1 and 9-1 wins; Princeton in October, a 4-3 win (that was that close) and a 3-0 win (that was 1-0 well into the 3rd period).

Comment

Working...
                                X