Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of letters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of letters

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20
    Pretty big news first spotted by Nicole Haase

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...e-flights-rule

-RPI will now award 90% of a win for winning in OT and 10% of a win for losing in OT (this part is minor news)

-Looking looks minimizing fights in the quarterfinals might go away in 2019-2020???!!!????!!!?!
    Starting a new thread to combine all the numbers related things

So turns out the RPI thing appears to have been rejected, which means I'm about 20% happier than I was this weekend: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...-womens-hockey
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

BCI's KRACH Calculator is live: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ach-calculator

Comment

Re: Fun With Numbers 2019: PWR, RPI, KRACH, GRaNT, WCHODR, & other assortments of let

Slightly off point, but if the ECAC had an ARM, we could learn when in recorded history both Brown and Union had 2Ws at this point in the season.

Comment

Brown actually had two W's after its first two games two seasons ago, when it played Sacred Heart. Won 6-1, 7-0. Finished the season 7-22-0.

Comment

GRaNT Rankings are out -- although I'll feel better about them after Franklin Pierce plays a few more games lol

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...puter-rankings

Comment

Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
            Slightly off point, but if the ECAC had an ARM, we could learn when in recorded history both Brown and Union had 2Ws at this point in the season.
            The ECAC is looking for a prosthetic ARM, if you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
              I thought Dr. Richard Kimble was looking for that...
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                This was funny and you should be proud of this

Comment

I ran a geometric mean on each conference using KRACH -- the main takeaway here is that the bottom of the ECAC is really, really bad:

Code:
                  WCHA	WHEA	ECAC	CHA
                  1813.09	637.67	387.65	189.04
                  993.18	514.85	338.09	115.10
                  447.41	360.75	319.61	70.43
                  358.69	257.41	205.15	41.90
                  89.35	159.44	141.90	15.96
                  77.49	127.30	79.41	12.76
                  20.65	91.46	76.06	48.54
                  236.45	54.67	67.67	
                  	38.65	29.82	
                  	8.68	21.92	
                  	126.36	19.87	
                  Bold number at the bottom is each conference's rating.

Comment

if 18.58 is really, really bad, what is 8.68?
                    but you are right, 4 teams under 40, even the CHA only has 2

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                      what is 8.68?
                      I know it's rhetorical but it would make for good Jeopardy...
                      Hockey East teams for 200...
                      This Catholic school is located in Worcester, MA...
                      What is Holy Cross..
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Pairwise Calculator is live: https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ngs-calculator

You'll notice that USCHO has St. Anselm and mine doesn't (or rather, mine just puts St. Anselm at the bottom). With only 5 teams, the NEWHA will not play enough games against each other to get to the 20 required games against D-I/D-II competition to be eligible for selection (even including the 3 game NEWHA playoffs). However, Post and Sacred Heart play enough non-conference games to qualify, so those two teams *are* included (but won't be a factor).

Comment

I was crunching down some Frosted Flakes for lunch, and decided to channel my inner TonyTheTiger20 and crunch some numbers too. I know there’s one series left this weekend (actually a pretty interesting one), but the halfway point of the season is a fun time to look at possible NCAA tourney brackets. I looked at travel distances for the Top 10 Pairwise teams, plus the most likely CHA autobid contenders. Barring the predictably unpredictable conference tournament party crashers, this might be a year where bracket integrity survives the perennial travel budget rearrangements. More than likely, the CHA champ will go to Madison or Minneapolis. Ohio State would fly anywhere if they get in (another reason Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame should add women’s hockey, but that’s a discussion for another time…). That leaves a lot of eastern bus trips for 3-4 seeds’ visiting teams, unless OSU gets up to 5 or 6 and gets sent west.

There’s a reason they don’t seed the NCAA tournament in December, but it’s still kind of fun to see where the teams might be playing in March!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          1___Wisconsin_____Wisconsin
                          2___Minnesota_____B__Minnesota
                          3___Northeastern___F_____F___Northeastern
                          4___Providence_____F_____F_____B___Providence
                          5___Clarkson_______F_____F_____B_____B__Clarkson
                          6___Cornell________F_____F_____B_____B_____B____Co rnell
                          7___Princeton______F_____F_____B_____B_____B_____B __Princeton
                          8___Ohio State_____F_____F_____F_____F_____F_____F_____F___ Ohio State
                          9___Colgate_______F_____F_____B_____B_____B_____B_ ____B_____F___Colgate
                          10__Boston College_F_____F_____B_____B_____B_____B_____B_____ F_____B__Boston College
                          CHA_Mercyhurst____F_____F_____F_____F_____B_____B_ ____F_____B_____B_____F__Mercyhurst
                          CHA_Robert Morris__F_____F_____F_____F_____F_____B_____B_____ B_____F_____F_____B

B = BUS
                          F = FLIGHT
                          Flight occurs when NCAA Miles > 400

I apologize the formatting stinks. I have an Excel sheet, but couldn’t figure out how to post it
                          2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Those 2 games in Ireland are looking bigger and bigger.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Maybe someone can look at how much Belfast flights/lodging compares to Boston...

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...sota-wisconsin

In all seriousness though, this season's Clarkson-Northeastern matchup should be a good measuring stick for how the top tiers of Hockey East and ECAC compare. Any game results from across the Atlantic will have to be taken with a grain of salt(water), but it should still be fun to see!
                              2005 Piston Cup Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X