Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Player of the Year honors and NHL debut on the same day for Hirose.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
      Player of the Year honors and NHL debut on the same day for Hirose.
      And his first point, an assist on Frans Nielsen's goal.

Comment

He’s still trying to get his bearings out there, but Hirose’s certainly making the most of his opportunity. Three assists in three games, two of which were one goal wins.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Well I certainly didn't expect this kind of exit.

Another KHL'r gone - transfers to Ann Arbor.

Comment

But seriously, https://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/1007962, for 2019-20.

Comment

On a non-April 1 note....shouldn’t be long before we learn which by my count of the 3 dmen and 6 forwards (after 7 verbals have already been dropped) scheduled to arrive this year they choose to bring in to fill 4 spots. I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring in 5 to start to balance the class sizes.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                On a non-April 1 note....shouldn’t be long before we learn which by my count of the 3 dmen and 6 forwards (after 7 verbals have already been dropped) scheduled to arrive this year they choose to bring in to fill 4 spots. I wouldn’t be surprised if they bring in 5 to start to balance the class sizes.
                You’re right. It wasn’t long!

We sign 2 for the moment. Nodler and a Swiss guy, Müller.

https://msuspartans.com/news/2019/4/2/mens-ice-hockey-spartan-hockey-signs-two-for-2019-20.aspx

I’m pleased to see Nodler make the jump a year early. After Afanasyev he was clearly our most talented prospect.

Don’t know much about the quality o play in these European leagues but Mûller has some pretty good production. An effective player at the WJHC is always a good sign.
                Last edited by Pirateasaur; 04-02-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

https://msuspartans.com/news/2019/4/2/mens-ice-hockey-spartan-hockey-signs-two-for-2019-20.aspx

I’m pleased to see Nodler make the jump a year early.

Don’t know much about the quality o play in these European leagues but Mûller has some pretty good production. An effective player at the WJHC is always a good sign.
                  Cole says “1-2 more guys this class.” I am going to guess 2. Probably Jagger Joshua and a d-man.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    Cole says “1-2 more guys this class.” I am going to guess 2. Probably Jagger Joshua and a d-man.
                    I agree with you on all fronts, Pirateasaur:

1. Good to see the recruitment of what appears to be a decently impactful Euro, as an alternative (or in addition?) to flipping a current college commit;
                    2. Nodler's performance definitely argues for his early arrival, especially since Afanasyev bailed;
                    3. As a '99, Joshua makes the most sense to bring in (although, again, I would welcome a late flip); and
                    4. Need for a dman to replace Osburn, particularly since it doesn't appear that a couple of the rising seniors are contributors. Looking at Heisenberg, no particular d recruit stands out, so perhaps a late bloomer is called for.

Seeing Hirose leave was good news, bad news, but this most recent announcement has me a bit more optimistic for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post

https://msuspartans.com/news/2019/4/...r-2019-20.aspx

I’m pleased to see Nodler make the jump a year early. After Afanasyev he was clearly our most talented prospect.

Müller's team has alumni list that includes Peter Forsberg and the Sedins. They call their league "Super Elites" for a reason I suspect. And he's near the top of the current roster in scoring, so potential beast?

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                        Müller's team has alumni list that includes Peter Forsberg and the Sedins. They call their league "Super Elites" for a reason I suspect. And he's near the top of the current roster in scoring, so potential beast?
                        Going by the only somewhat relevant point of reference, his production was roughly that of Villiam Haag in that league. Less goals, more assists, about the same points. I always had higher hopes for Haag than he achieved but I always liked him and felt he was solid. Still, hopefully Müller reaches a higher ceiling.

Comment

Starting last year things changed and I’m still adjusting....under previous coaches young hockey players committed and while occasionally one would jump to the OHL or be dropped by the staff, most came in pretty much on schedule. That is no longer the case.

What seems to be the new normal is the coaches take more verbal commitments then space. Each year they then take whichever players they see as the best available or able to best meet team needs. Basically, it’s accepting a verbal is not a guarantee of a spot on the team. If you want your verbal to be followed by a NLI you need to work and be a top option.

On a related note...former MSU commit Kevin Lombardi has moved on to Sacred Heart...many of the others penciled for this year are 3rd-4th line or practice players and will likely need to go elsewhere to play at the college level.

As far as additional NLIs...yes, we need a dman. That might be it. MSU really doesn’t need additional forwards and might be best served by holding a spot for next year when a more highly skilled player would be available.

Comment

Going by the only somewhat relevant point of reference, his production was roughly that of Villiam Haag in that league. Less goals, more assists, about the same points. I always had higher hopes for Haag than he achieved but I always liked him and felt he was solid. Still, hopefully Müller reaches a higher ceiling.
                            I had a good initial impression of Haag. However, what we saw as a freshman was almost the same as a senior. He just never developed into a good college player. I suspect we won’t see a repeat with muller.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                              I had a good initial impression of Haag. However, what we saw as a freshman was almost the same as a senior. He just never developed into a good college player. I suspect we won’t see a repeat with muller.
                              Considering Muller will have a competent coaching staff (unlike Haag did) that's a fair assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
                                Two cheerios for this post - spot on about Haag and the developmental issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X