Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2018-19: New Breed, Old Snarl

They say a tie is like kissing your sister, but tonight I will take it, as I only got to attend this game after being cleared to do so by my cardiac surgeon earlier today, on the condition I don’t get too crazy. So turning over a new leaf as a glass is a half full kind of guy, my thoughts are this. This years team is a work in progress and one point is better than none. Also noteworthy is that we may get scoring from all over the line up sheet which is always a plus.

However, taking a tie in a game in which you had a two goal lead 3 minutes in is never easy to swallow. We were undisciplined taking way too many penalties, the D got beat a few times and our goalie had an off night. We should have had 2 points against a bad BU team, by BU standards. I though we just looked lost a lot. Hopefully, we can regroup for Saturday over on Comm. Ave and take 3 points this weekend.

I know its not easy to get points in HE but I suspect BU is a team in lot more of an identity crisis than us and we should beat them this year!

Cheers! Just happy to be alive! Oh I did get a handicapped parking spot from Chester at the gate house...so that was a plus!
    Last edited by RossiRules; 11-01-2018, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
      They say a tie is like kissing your sister, but tonight I will take it, as I only got to attend this game after being cleared to do so by my cardiac surgeon earlier today, on the condition I don’t get too crazy. So turning over a new leaf as a glass is a half full kind of guy, my thoughts are this. This years team is a work in progress and one point is better than none. Also noteworthy is that we may get scoring from all over the line up sheet which is always a plus.

However, taking a tie in a game in which you had a two goal lead 3 minutes in is never easy to swallow. We were undisciplined taking way too many penalties, the D got beat a few times and our goalie had an off night. We should have had 2 points against a bad BU team, by BU standards. I though we just looked lost a lot. Hopefully, we can regroup for Saturday over on Comm. Ave and take 3 points this weekend.

I know its not easy to get points in HE but I suspect BU is a team in lot more of an identity crisis than us and we should beat them this year!

Cheers! Just happy to be alive! Oh I did get a handicapped parking spot from Chester at the gate house...so that was a plus!

Godspeed & good health!
      Rossi.. you are a riot!
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Rossi I am glad to hear your health is doing well, I wish you well on your recovery.

JM said in his brief postgame comments that they didn't "play heavy" enough in front of the net. Now whether that means tying guys up or boxing them out or rotating well, that's up for interpretation, but at least on the Farabee goal to make it 3-3, Shea left the slot to attack Harper behind the net, and the other defenseman was covering the back post man, but Schule did not rotate around to tie up Farabee, giving him an easy tap in off a nice pass from Harper. Little things like that will ALWAYS bite you.

I thought this was a game NU could have easily won, given how many great chances they seemed to have in the 2nd and 3rd that Oettinger kept out, but also with 50 shots given up, and 6 or 7 powerplays, definitely a game NU could have lost. Honestly, one of the better games I have seen live, results aside. BU is clearly fast and big, and they used that effectively. Albie said they want to try for 15 shots a period on net. Impressive goal, even more impressive they basically did that.

Awesome awesome crowd last night. One of the best in the last 5 years. The last two goal chants were roof-shaking.

Couple other things I noticed from yesterday-

1) Schule, Jozefek, Picking, Plevy, Williams, and Shea all had very good games. The growth of the first three is really awesome to see, and they are doing well to both continue the scoring-by-committee approach but also step up and make plays on their own.

2) Northeastern really seemed to struggle when BU sent 2 forecheckers, or played aggressive on the PK. Meeting the puck carrier at the blue line caused multiple turnovers including the one leading to the SHG, and NU had a lot of trouble breaking out both at ES and on the PP when BU sent aggressive forechecks. Something to adjust to and change when they play tomorrow.

3) Lastly, NU seemed to be running on fumes at the end of the game, whereas BU seemed to have plenty of juice left. 3 games in 7 days definitely isn't easy but hope they recover to play well tomorrow.
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Jozefek looks like a real find for you guys. Impressive player.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            Jozefek looks like a real find for you guys. Impressive player.
            He was highly regarded when he committed, took NJ high school hockey by storm for two years before two solid years in the USHL. Freshman year he got hurt multiple times, including a concussion that really knocked him out long term IIRC, and last year he didn't really get an opportunity as much. This year he has been given more minutes and more responsibility and he is thriving. He's not the biggest or fastest but his growth has been a treat to see
            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• legs.. big part tonight. if they find them, they’ll be fine.
              if not, oh well have fun regardless. Go Huskies
              GO NU HOCKEY
              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Ok BU had to win a game at some point and they had not won in the last 4 meetings. That said tell me what you saw tonight, why we lost, what we did right and what we need to do better. Is anyone concerned ?

Comment

• not surprised, good for the terriers. missed the live event & radio as well, and yes; for anyone from husky nation, some perspective on the gm would be great & thx.
                  GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• so i read that last gm was 1-0 terriers into the 3rd.. was it fatigue on our part? pk, lack of convergence on the pp? just outmatched?
                    we were 3-0-1 going into that last gm against them, so a L was prob due. still, any observations from any NU fans in attendance would be great, thx.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I was on travel and unable to see either game so I'd also be interested in reading any observations from those who saw one or both games. One thing I noticed from the stats is that NU allowed two more shorties (one in each game). The one on Thursday night let the ratdogs back in the game while the one on Saturday was the final nail in the coffin. So, by my count, four SHGs against in eight games? Ouch!

Something else that can't be helping is the absence of Liam Pecararo. It's beyond frustrating to see him unavailable because of injury after waiting so long to even see him. This kid is incredibly talented and not having him in the lineup has to have had some bearing on how things turned out over the weekend.
                      Last edited by Split-N; 11-05-2018, 09:16 AM.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

we do give up fair share of shorties; often result of ill timed pinching by D on pp set up. sometimes its the F in transition on the blueline just being lazy; a simple poke check & gone. been a issue in past seasons as well. hoping it is being noticed & corrected by the coaching staff moving forward. it is glaring the #.
                        getting to pecararo, he is def missed on the offense. its a long season, hopefully back soon. 2 home HE matchups this wknd. hopefully team is looking forward to getting back at it.
                        Go Huskies
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

a tie & a l last week.. let's try better that. No easy pts in Hockey East, that's for sure. hopefully the powerplay has improved @ practice (would've helped in the 2nd terrier gm). Looking for the good kind of howlin' & hoping Pecararo back in the lineup. Go you Huskies of NU
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Took a while to work up the motivation to write this after watching SAturday's game in person. But here's the BU recap

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/re...ake-oettinger/
                            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                              Took a while to work up the motivation to write this after watching SAturday's game in person. But here's the BU recap

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/re...ake-oettinger/
                              thanks for the recap.. especially the 2nd gm from last sat. well, new week, new wknd upcoming & hopefully they give us all something to cro.. er, howl about.
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

UConn and Lowell preview

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...eastern-umass/
                                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Working...
                                X