Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quinnipiac Bobcats 2018-19 - Let's shuffle off to Buffalo

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    Hope that UConn player is OK, that was a scary hit. Not sure where they got charging from, but I suppose the refs decided they needed to call something with an injury as serious as that one appeared to be. Again, best wishes to him in his recovery.
    The QU player very obviously took more than two strides to accelerate through the hit. Could've also called contact to the head as it appeared from replay that the first point of contact was the head.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      The QU player very obviously took more than two strides to accelerate through the hit. Could've also called contact to the head as it appeared from replay that the first point of contact was the head.
      It may have been contact to the head and if that was the call I would have had no problem with it, but it kind of seemed like a full-body hit. What video did you see him striding into the hit? The ESPN+ video seemed pretty clear that Rafferty wasn't skating into it.

Again, hope the UConn player is OK.

Comment

I agree that he wasn't skating into it, but contact to the head or a charging major for launching up/leaving the ice (which I assume is what he got) are both fine

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
          I agree that he wasn't skating into it, but contact to the head or a charging major for launching up/leaving the ice (which I assume is what he got) are both fine
          I'll be honest, I thought it was a clean hit. I don't think he targeted the head, I don't think he launched up (he left the ice after the hit because of the laws pf physics), he didn't skate into it ... I'm not sure what he did wrong. There was contact to the head even if it wasn't the principle point of contact but that's not what they called.

Anyways I don't want to belabor the point especially since the hit sent the kid to the hospital. It was a devastating hit no matter the legality of it.

Comment

I also hope the kid is alright. After seeing the reply just now I can see where the call came from but I don't think it was an intentionally bad hit.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I was at the game and when I saw the hit I thought it was clean but haven't seen a replay. Things were moving fast. I hope the kid is OK he was one of UCONN's new Russian recruits and a NY Islanders draft pick.

On another note there were a few NHL scouts in the stands last night looking at both teams. We had a guy fro San Jose in the row in back of us and my daughter sat next to the scout from the LA Kings. She talked with him all night. he mentioned there were other scouts there including one from the Washington Capitals.
              Last edited by Turk; 10-17-2018, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Turk View Post
                I was at the game and when I saw the hit I thought it was clean but haven't seen a replay.
                https://www.wtnh.com/sports/scary-mo...onn/1529618409
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                Northeast Regional:

Comment

I agree with you I don't think it was intentional. I am sure the league will take a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Turk View Post
                    I was at the game and when I saw the hit I thought it was clean but haven't seen a replay. Things were moving fast. I hope the kid is OK he was one of UCONN's new Russian recruits and a NY Islanders draft pick.

On another note there were a few NHL scouts in the stands last night looking at both teams. We had a guy fro San Jose in the row in back of us and my daughter sat next to the scout from the LA Kings. She talked with him all night. he mentioned there were other scouts there including one from the Washington Capitals.
                    I think QU and UConn were both rates in the top 10 in recruiting classes for this year. The future looks bright

Comment

The hit looked clean. The UConn player skated with his head down in the zone after losing the puck for a second. A big no-no. Rafferty never launched or left his feet. This is hockey 101 of never look down on the ice.
                      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                      https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Fallstrom's two goals propel Quinnipiac to home opener win over UConn

http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/201...uinnipiac.html
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                          The hit looked clean. The UConn player skated with his head down in the zone after losing the puck for a second. A big no-no. Rafferty never launched or left his feet. This is hockey 101 of never look down on the ice.
                          I was watching online and watched the replay a dozen times at least. I understand the call because the kid was injured. I think if the kid got up quickly there would have been no call. Unfortunately in today’s game the refs feel obligated to call something. I hope when the league looks at it they see there was no intention or malice and do not suspend Raffery for a game or more. He has no history of dirty play. Hope the UConn player is ok.

Comment

kid looked like he had his head down.. (& right before hit brings it down further), which did not help..
                            nevertheless, scary hit by rafferty

https://mobile.***********/Erikd25/s...642304/video/1
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by QUFan View Post
                              I think if the kid got up quickly there would have been no call. Unfortunately in today’s game the refs feel obligated to call something.
                              First and foremost, I don't think anyone wants to see kids get hurt like that... ever. I truly hope he's ok and returns to the ice soon.

My problem is this: nothing was called at the time of the hit. The call was made after the refs reviewed the play during the stoppage (which they can do only for major penalties), and that was after the four of them huddled for several minutes. After the review they huddled again for several more minutes and then made the call. That's fine, it's the rule and I understand its intent. But why do we continually see these non-calls turn into calls? That was a hard hit in open ice at the blue line... did none of those 4 refs think it was worthy of a call at the time it happened (I'm pretty sure linesmen can signal for a major penalty)? There was a similar hit by UConn on Cutske a few minutes earlier with no call (probably because he got up and skated off). If you really want to protect these players then the refs need to make these calls on the ice. Not sure it was warranted?... fine, go review it.

Again, I'm not saying this was or wasn't a bad hit worthy of a penalty, I'm just not sure the "process" is as good as it should be, especially when it comes to player safety.

I hope when the league looks at it they see there was no intention or malice and do not suspend Raffery for a game or more. He has no history of dirty play.
                              That's a bang-bang play. Certainly no intent that I could see.
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              Northeast Regional:

Comment

Great news!

The UConn player was released from the hospital and returned to campus.

https://www.wtnh.com/sports/college/...pus/1530933932
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                Northeast Regional:

Comment

Working...
                                X