Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I’m never going to bash a team for playing a certain style they deem best positions them for success — sure, a coach needs to run a program to put butts in the seats, dollar win the fundraising jar, etc. but that is done first and foremost by winning hockey games — people support winners, even if their style may not be the most entertaining.
    In fairness to LSSU, they were playing an up tempo style on Friday night, but we got up on them early. it seems to me that they have been slowly transitioning to playing an up tempo style. LSSU is a good team and I, personally, think that Whitten has them on the right path and they will be a tough team in the next few years. Yes,they played a trap for a while, but it wasn't anything like the Bemidji game of a couple years ago. They did ice the puck a few times, but I'd argue that was almost as much because of hte situation at that moment and guys getting tired. The reality is that you have to adjust when a team is playing a slower style. If MSU puts in one of those Grade-A chances, LSSU won't be able to continue playing that style. They will be forced to be more aggressive. They will be forced to have to deal with our speed. Right now, I don't think they can keep up with the Mavs speed. It doesn't fall on the opposing team to change their style, it falls on MSU to force them to change. If we don't do that, I can't begrudge any team.

It's just like a few years ago when Gopher fans complained about the way MSU played. My simple answer was that when they were beating like a dead horse we couldn't play that way. We played a heavy style that was right on the edge against them and it worked. It wasn't a bad style to play, but Gopher fans didn't like it. It's just too bad. If you don't like it, force the other team to change it by the score on the board.
    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
      In fairness to LSSU, they were playing an up tempo style on Friday night, but we got up on them early. it seems to me that they have been slowly transitioning to playing an up tempo style. LSSU is a good team and I, personally, think that Whitten has them on the right path and they will be a tough team in the next few years. Yes,they played a trap for a while, but it wasn't anything like the Bemidji game of a couple years ago. They did ice the puck a few times, but I'd argue that was almost as much because of hte situation at that moment and guys getting tired. The reality is that you have to adjust when a team is playing a slower style. If MSU puts in one of those Grade-A chances, LSSU won't be able to continue playing that style. They will be forced to be more aggressive. They will be forced to have to deal with our speed. Right now, I don't think they can keep up with the Mavs speed. It doesn't fall on the opposing team to change their style, it falls on MSU to force them to change. If we don't do that, I can't begrudge any team.

It's just like a few years ago when Gopher fans complained about the way MSU played. My simple answer was that when they were beating like a dead horse we couldn't play that way. We played a heavy style that was right on the edge against them and it worked. It wasn't a bad style to play, but Gopher fans didn't like it. It's just too bad. If you don't like it, force the other team to change it by the score on the board.
      Ding ding ding we have a winner!

(It’s also a compliment, as it means your team’s got guys other teams wish they had/play a style that takes high level speed and skill
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        Ding ding ding we have a winner!

(It’s also a compliment, as it means your team’s got guys other teams wish they had/play a style that takes high level speed and skill
        Mavs got a new commit Connor Gregga. Seems to be a solid pick up.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAVS21 View Post
          Mavs got a new commit Connor Gregga. Seems to be a solid pick up.
          Hastings and his staff have had really good success with the BCHL, hope that continues.
          AF 99

Comment

Would be really nice to get a sweep this weekend. Won’t be easy, but I’d like to see the Mavs get rolling a bit again.
            AF 99

Comment

Would be really nice to get a sweep this weekend. Won’t be easy, but I’d like to see the Mavs get rolling a bit again.
              It would be nice, but realistically, 7-3 the rest of the regular season probably gets us the MacNaughton and likely puts us in great shape for an NCAA at-large bid. NMU is a good team playing well, with an outstanding goalie. I would like to see us score some goals this weekend, whatever the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                It would be nice, but realistically, 7-3 the rest of the regular season probably gets us the MacNaughton and likely puts us in great shape for an NCAA at-large bid. NMU is a good team playing well, with an outstanding goalie. I would like to see us score some goals this weekend, whatever the outcome.
                7-3 with no worse than a split this weekend gets you both of those things. Looking at Jim Dahl's PWR forecasting, you're probably looking at #7-10 with that finish. Win your first weekend series and I'll bet it's no worse than #8. Looking like we could very well be in the same Regional again this year. Hoping for better outcomes.

Best of luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Road wins are supposed to be tough, right?

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    Road wins are supposed to be tough, right?
                    Goes to show you how quick a 3 goal cushion can disappear but a win is a win and games like that prepare you for March. Needed those points though, looking at the schedule there are a few games that if we lost I wouldn't be shocked. Losing at Tech, UAF or to Bemidji wouldn't be surprising at all. Tech is capable of taking both games, traveling to UAF is never easy and Bemidji is well Bemidji. the games against UAH are the only series we have left that anything less than 6 points would be shocking.
                    All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Good weekend for the Mavs. Huge sweep. Was nice TJ see them lighting the lamp a ton.

Have to sweep this series next weekend and keep rolling.
                      AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                        Good weekend for the Mavs. Huge sweep. Was nice TJ see them lighting the lamp a ton.

Have to sweep this series next weekend and keep rolling.
                        Love to lock up the WCHA w/o scoreboard watching. A sweep this weekend keeps the pressure on the other teams to follow suit.
                        Great to see the players at the AF pond hockey tourney sunday especially as they probably didn't get home til 5/6 a.m. they are great ambassadors. Kids love them and they happily signed and took pictures every time. Kudos to them but also Hastings for recruiting the right kids.
                        All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                          Goes to show you how quick a 3 goal cushion can disappear but a win is a win and games like that prepare you for March. Needed those points though, looking at the schedule there are a few games that if we lost I wouldn't be shocked. Losing at Tech, UAF or to Bemidji wouldn't be surprising at all. Tech is capable of taking both games, traveling to UAF is never easy and Bemidji is well Bemidji. the games against UAH are the only series we have left that anything less than 6 points would be shocking.
                          Big series. Our record at Tech is not good, and it's Carnival weekend for them. Did Coatta and Rivera make the trip?

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            Big series. Our record at Tech is not good, and it's Carnival weekend for them. Did Coatta and Rivera make the trip?
                            Haven’t been able to pin down that info yet...
                            AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              Sounds like Rivera is in and Coatta is still out.
                              AF 99

Comment

Sounds like Rivera is in and Coatta is still out.
                                Improves our PK. But hopefully we stay out of the box, and don't test that PK much.

Comment

Working...
                                X