Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota State 2018-19 Season Thread

Originally posted by Bale View Post
    I think the natural shift in recruiting is that we end up going after more high end and younger players. I think we will always be an older team that has leadership ability. Now we seem to need to add that one or two players that can throw the team on their back and get a goal when necessary.
    That's been the missing piece. I like the strong work ethic and leadership skills of the players on our team, but we've had just one NHL draft pick start school at Mankato in the last 5 years (CJ Suess), and he was a late draft pick who'd already committed to MSU-M before the pro scouts discovered him. Of the 16 teams in the NCAA field, only us and AIC lacked an NHL draft pick on the roster. I like a system of interchangeable parts. It works great in the regular season. If our top line gets shut down, we can always get goals from a Spooner or a Napravnik or a Duehr. But in the NCAA tournament, benches get shortened, the emphasis is on defense, and you really need a guy who can make a play that no one else on your team can make. We just haven't had that guy.
    The Gophers and BU and some other blue blood programs have likely went too far in the other direction (too many draft picks, not enough 4 year guys) to be consistent contenders, but I think we lack some of the high end talent to go far in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      If our top line gets shut down, we can always get goals from a Spooner or a Napravnik or a Duehr. But in the NCAA tournament, benches get shortened, the emphasis is on defense, and you really need a guy who can make a play that no one else on your team can make. We just haven't had that guy.
      Personally I think we have had a few of these guys who can make those type of plays plus when you say built on defense are we not routinely a top national ranked defense? Brinkley, Nelson, and as it sounds maybe Mackey to the NHL?

Im still hopeful that Hastings can get us to promise land but Im not sure how everyone is still as sure as they were? Recruit Different players? Different tactics? Doesn't he set who we recruit and how we play? Isn't that an inditement of him saying we need NCAA draftees? Or different tactics? How about an easy opponent in the NCAA? Got it. The 2015 team was LOADED and RIT beat us because of the type of game they played. Isn't it on the coach to make in game changes to counter that? Then with Providence and UMD it wasn't that we lost but how we lost that concerns me. In both games they made changes and we never recovered. Im sure much of my angst right now is because I grow tired of hearing "next year" and failing miserably in the NCAAs. We are a joke and deserve to be. Ive traveled from Houghton to Denver to UAH to watch the Mavs, Hastings has done more to make us relevant than anyone could have imagined. I don't think he should be fired, I don't think he should be on the Hot seat even but I do have some reservations about his ability to lead us to a frozen four.

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." 2019-20?
      All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Mackey will return to school. So, the Mavericks effectively return 19 of their 20 regulars in the lineup, Coatta the only one gone. Expectations for next season will be through the roof, and on paper this will be the best team ever in Mankato.

This doesn’t count at all on guys like incoming 3rd round NHL pick Nathan Smith, Ryan Sandelin, etc.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
          Mackey will return to school. So, the Mavericks effectively return 19 of their 20 regulars in the lineup, Coatta the only one gone. Expectations for next season will be through the roof, and on paper this will be the best team ever in Mankato.

This doesn’t count at all on guys like incoming 3rd round NHL pick Nathan Smith, Ryan Sandelin, etc.
          Which means there's got to be a few guys leaving through other channels, doesn't it? I was under the impression there were 6 (maybe more) guys coming in and only 3 leaving.
          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
            Which means there's got to be a few guys leaving through other channels, doesn't it? I was under the impression there were 6 (maybe more) guys coming in and only 3 leaving.
            They officially signed 7 in November I think NLI are good for 2 years. The real question will be if Michaelis leaves. I think if MSU won an NCAA game he’d be gone, but now I believe he’ll be back. It’s Hastings job to out recruit his current players. Top two lines are set but 3-4th are up for grabs.

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

I really think the sleeper recruits are Sowder, Furry and Bukes.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVS21 View Post
                They officially signed 7 in November I think NLI are good for 2 years. The real question will be if Michaelis leaves. I think if MSU won an NCAA game he’d be gone, but now I believe he’ll be back. It’s Hastings job to out recruit his current players. Top two lines are set but 3-4th are up for grabs.
                Where would Michaelis go? I'm not sure I'd project him as an NHL prospect. He seems to be more of a college star whose game may not translate to the next level.
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

As was said, Mike Hastings is a proven winner and well respected at every level. 11-6-2 in the second half says a lot about his ability to get his team ready every week.

But I wonder about the Mavs schedule. No games against top 10 teams, in fact very few games against good top 15 ranked teams. Mavs need to schedule more NCs against ranked teams. WCHA was weak this season in interconference play, ranking closely behind Atlantic Hockey (.257) with a W% of .347.

Whatever...just a thought. Carry on.
                  Last edited by SteveO; 04-02-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                    As was said, Mike Hastings is a proven winner and well respected at every level. 11-6-2 in the second half says a lot about his ability to get his team ready every week.

But I wonder about the Mavs schedule. No games against top 10 teams, in fact very few games against good top 15 ranked teams. Mavs need to schedule more NCs against ranked teams. WCHA was weak this season in interconference play, ranking closely behind Atlantic Hockey (.257) with a W% of .347.

Whatever...just a thought. Carry on.
                    Don't disagree on the need for a tough schedule, but we scheduled the Gophers, NoDak, and BU. You'd think that would have yielded at least a couple of tournament teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                      Where would Michaelis go? I'm not sure I'd project him as an NHL prospect. He seems to be more of a college star whose game may not translate to the next level.
                      There was talk (not sure how serious, but talk, anyway) of going to play in Germany, or somewhere else in Europe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                        He almost signed to play back in Germany last year. It was just reported by @puckato that Michaelis will return as well.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          Don't disagree on the need for a tough schedule, but we scheduled the Gophers, NoDak, and BU. You'd think that would have yielded at least a couple of tournament teams.
                          Yeah, but look where they spent most of their time in the PWR, below 20. The Gophers didn't start to find their chemistry until long after they played MSUM, Whioux didn't have consistent play this season and BU was a bust.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                            Yeah, but look where they spent most of their time in the PWR, below 20. The Gophers didn't start to find their chemistry until long after they played MSUM, Whioux didn't have consistent play this season and BU was a bust.
                            Agreed, but at the time we made the schedule, no one would have thought that's how it would play out. Next year, rumor is we'll have UMD, NoDak, ASU, plus the new Mariucci. I think we've got at least a couple top 10s in there!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                              Yes, but there's no way of knowing that when the schedule is put together. Okay, the Gophers struggling one could probably expect.

Usually, having UND, Minnesota, and BU on the schedule is a good thing.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                                Yes, but there's no way of knowing that when the schedule is put together. Okay, the Gophers struggling one could probably expect.

Usually, having UND, Minnesota, and BU on the schedule is a good thing.
                                Truth. Hard to project that outcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X