X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Remember this when we add 4.
    Why would I object to that? Let's do it tomorrow.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Hey, the appointment of judges is a political process. You don't want to roll around in the mud and get your knuckles bloody, don't complain to me.

But don't worry. I'm sure next time will finally be the time where people buy the story that the confirmation of judge "x" means the end of the world. I mean they have to buy the claim sooner or later, amiright?
      Except when one side doesn't allow the process to happen. And when that happens, we don't hear chit from you. But now you're oh so concerned.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I read something online yesterday that said Ginsburg, Alito, and Roberts have opinions remaining. Ginsburg is usually ahead of schedule on writing her opinions. The fact that she’s so behind might mean she’s waiting for lengthy dissents. Which could mean she’s writing a census or gerrymandering opinion and Thomas or Alito are frothing at the mouth.
        Even if Roberts does the right thing and abandons the orcs on voter suppression and gerrymandering, I can't imagine him giving the majority decision to Ginsburg. My impression is he'd want to write it himself to sufficiently guard against the type of genuine democratic reforms that would spell doom for the GOP-Plute junta. You can't give away the treasury to the rich unless you're in power, so Roberts has a vested interest in keeping the GOP at least competitive. Letting people vote fairly would destroy that.

Now, what if somebody else right had a brain aneurysm and actually began respecting the Constitution? What if Thomas woke up one morning and realized that gerrymandering is really just a way to keep them darkies out? What if Kavanaugh put down the red cup long enough to realize that a Baptist-minority majority Congress will be hanging Catholics once it finishes with the Jews? You never know, except, of course, with these shills you do know. It's Roberts covering his legas-sy or nobody. Earl Warren is not walking through that door.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          I read something online yesterday that said Ginsburg, Alito, and Roberts have opinions remaining. Ginsburg is usually ahead of schedule on writing her opinions. The fact that she’s so behind might mean she’s waiting for lengthy dissents. Which could mean she’s writing a census or gerrymandering opinion and Thomas or Alito are frothing at the mouth.

Roberts will likely write 8 this session. He might also pick up whichever one Ginsburg isn’t writing if she got one of the two big ones. He has sometimes in the past stepped in and flipped sides to show the court isn’t completely partisan hackery.

I need to find the post. Had a lot of good points.
          There are 8 cases left; if you assume the gerrymandering ones get decided together, that'd be 7 opinions. They try to spread them evenly by sitting, though majority opinions can be stolen as they work their way through the court of a concurrence or dissent picks off enough judges.

The remaining December case could be from anyone, since they've all issued one December opinion. Since it's a case involving Native American rights, good bet it'll be Gorsuch writing it.

The Tennessee wine case from January is almost assuredly Alito. He's the only one who doesn't have a January majority opinion and that didn't seem like a highly controversial one.

February gets interesting. 1 case left involving a criminal procedure issue, and Gorsuch, Breyer, Ginsburg, and Roberts all don't have a majority opinion from that sitting. I would guess that's Ginsburg, but who knows for sure.

3 left from March; 2 if you consolidate the partisan gerrymandering ones. Kagan, Gorsuch, and Roberts all without an opinion. Assume Roberts writes the gerrymandering opinion(s), leaving Gorsuch or Kagan to write the agency deference opinion. My guess is the latter is Gorsuch, 5-4 ideological line split killing agency deference.

April has census citizenship and a 4th amendment case left. Assume Roberts gets the citizenship one and Alito the 4th Amendment one. Though those could easily be flipped.
          Last edited by unofan; 06-25-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            SCOTUS got the Fuct trademark case 100% rifgt
            From a review of it:

Alito added, "Our decision is not based on moral relativism but on the recognition that a law banning speech deemed by government officials to be 'immoral' or 'scandalous' can easily be exploited for illegitimate ends."
            The Thumpers always have to go out of their way to assert their derp even when it's completely irrelevant. This is the Catholic equivalent of scrawling "PBUH" after every proper noun cuz their magic book has been having a bad time of it since the Age of Reason.
            Last edited by Kepler; 06-25-2019, 02:25 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Except when one side doesn't allow the process to happen. And when that happens, we don't hear chit from you. But now you're oh so concerned.
              What are you babbling about? What exactly is it that you think I'm "concerned" about?
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

What are you babbling about? What exactly is it that you think I'm "concerned" about?
                You came here to post for a reason.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  You came here to post for a reason.
                  I came here to post because I think it's amusing that every single time there is a Supreme Court opening all I hear about is how the confirmation is literally life and death as we know it. Then, the appointment occurs, the judge is seated, and we see stuff like was posted in this thread this week. Things like, "huh, Gorsuch agreed with Kagan and Ginsburg on this case" or "that's weird, Kavanaugh and Breyer and Ginsburg and Thomas all were in the majority on that case."

And the world doesn't end. And we all go on with our lives, paying little attention on a day to day basis as to what the court is doing. Until the next opening.

tldr: I came here to say, "I told you so."

Comment

Wrong. You won’t have the right to say I told you so until you start seeing posts like “Well, per usual, Gorsuch, Kavennaugh, Ginsburg, Breyer, and Thomas put out a completely sane majority opinion.”

Not holding my breath.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I came here to post because I think it's amusing that every single time there is a Supreme Court opening all I hear about is how the confirmation is literally life and death as we know it. Then, the appointment occurs, the judge is seated, and we see stuff like was posted in this thread this week. Things like, "huh, Gorsuch agreed with Kagan and Ginsburg on this case" or "that's weird, Kavanaugh and Breyer and Ginsburg and Thomas all were in the majority on that case."

And the world doesn't end. And we all go on with our lives, paying little attention on a day to day basis as to what the court is doing. Until the next opening.

You get to say "I told you so" when the major cases don't break 5-4 along ideological lines, with Roberts counting as the swing justice now that Kennedy is gone. Having weird lineups for routine cases is normal.

Comment

The Supreme Court decisions have mostly benefited the right for the better part of 40 years and Hovey isn’t concerned. Ya don’t say! 😂

Comment

Dear Lord.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            You get to say "I told you so" when the major cases don't break 5-4 along ideological lines, with Roberts counting as the swing justice now that Kennedy is gone. Having weird lineups for routine cases is normal.
                            That was exactly my prediction, which is Roberts would slide into the Kennedy role. Still waiting for the end of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              That was exactly my prediction, which is Roberts would slide into the Kennedy role. Still waiting for the end of the world.
                              I think that was uno using “swing” sarcastically.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I think that was uno using “swing” sarcastically.
                                Well, if he was I think he’ll be proven wrong. I think Roberts will assume the Kennedy role.

Comment

Working...
                                X