This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

Except I dont see how drawing a chalk line is trespass. No offense but if she doesnt want the tickets park legally the chalk causes her no undue harm.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Except I dont see how drawing a chalk line is trespass. No offense but if she doesnt want the tickets park legally the chalk causes her no undue harm.
      If I drew a chalk line across the hood of your car, would you consider that trespass?

What about if I used soluble spray paint to temporarily white-out a window?

Also, your logic could easily be stretched to allow law enforcement to go pretty far (i.e. an officer walking into your home doesn't cause you undue harm, or an officer going through your bank records doesn't cause you undue harm). Of course we should all be complying with the law; however, the Fourth Amendment does provide some pretty significant protections that deserve to stretch pretty far. In this situation, the police have an easy, non-intrusive way to deal with this situation. If you want to chalk up a car, get a warrant.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        It is a good one. I also agree with the ruling, and the alternate option for traffic enforcement: take a photo.
        And thus began all the major/rich cities in Michigan buying and/or installing cameras for parking and traffic enforcement.

The coasts have already done it, might as well make the Upper Midwest join the 21st century. Especially here in Detroit, where they can never hire enough cops, and are forced to fire the ones dumb enough to publish their racist views on social media.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          And thus began all the major/rich cities in Michigan buying and/or installing cameras for parking and traffic enforcement.

The coasts have already done it, might as well make the Upper Midwest join the 21st century. Especially here in Detroit, where they can never hire enough cops, and are forced to fire the ones dumb enough to publish their racist views on social media.
          NPR interviewed officials from Alpina. They bring in a fraction of the cost of one enforcement official via parking fines.

The camera system may cost less.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            NPR interviewed officials from Alpina. They bring in a fraction of the cost of one enforcement official via parking fines.

The camera system may cost less.
            That's Alpena!

And I'm not surprised.

Comment

The solution is an end of free parking. Put in parking meters. Parking enforcement walks around giving tickets to anyone parked in a a spot with no time on the meter, no chalking required. The parking meters plus fines bring in more money than enforcement costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                The solution is an end of free parking. Put in parking meters. Parking enforcement walks around giving tickets to anyone parked in a a spot with no time on the meter, no chalking required. The parking meters plus fines bring in more money than enforcement costs.
                Speed cameras bring in more, rain or shine.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                  If I drew a chalk line across the hood of your car, would you consider that trespass?

What about if I used soluble spray paint to temporarily white-out a window?

Also, your logic could easily be stretched to allow law enforcement to go pretty far (i.e. an officer walking into your home doesn't cause you undue harm, or an officer going through your bank records doesn't cause you undue harm). Of course we should all be complying with the law; however, the Fourth Amendment does provide some pretty significant protections that deserve to stretch pretty far. In this situation, the police have an easy, non-intrusive way to deal with this situation. If you want to chalk up a car, get a warrant.
                  Walking into my home /= putting a chalk line on a car parked in a public street. If you said the cops opened the door and went inside of the parked car you might have a point but otherwise your comparison sucks. Cops are allowed to walk up to your door and knock are they not? Chalking a wheel isnt violating someone's home.

As for your "painting the window" deal, if it cleans off I doubt I would even care. By your logic every teenager that did that in HS to someone should probably have been arrested or ticketed for criminal trespass. Seems like an overreaction.

Sorry but again, the car is on a public street. There is no searching or seizing of the property, car or the owner. I just dont see this as a 4th Amendment issue.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                    Oh I am sure that will go over well.

I am all for the "taking a picture" plan...except in a few years someone who has like 50 tickets will complain saying that is illegal surveillance or something and find a way to argue they need a warrant for that too. Meanwhile those of us who park legally will just shake our head.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Walking into my home /= putting a chalk line on a car parked in a public street. If you said the cops opened the door and went inside of the parked car you might have a point but otherwise your comparison sucks. Cops are allowed to walk up to your door and knock are they not? Chalking a wheel isnt violating someone's home.

As for your "painting the window" deal, if it cleans off I doubt I would even care. By your logic every teenager that did that in HS to someone should probably have been arrested or ticketed for criminal trespass. Seems like an overreaction.

Sorry but again, the car is on a public street. There is no searching or seizing of the property, car or the owner. I just dont see this as a 4th Amendment issue.
                      Your logic essentially equated to no "undue harm" no foul.

Im glad you're not on the Supreme Court.
                      Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 04-27-2019, 09:53 AM.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        Speed cameras bring in more, rain or shine.
                        Unconstitutional in Minnesota. Thank god.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

It’s no different from dropping a GPS tracker on a car. That’s an illegal search without a warrant.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Unconstitutional in Minnesota. Thank god.
                            Alaska as well.
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              It’s no different from dropping a GPS tracker on a car. That’s an illegal search without a warrant.
                              I think it is quite different (GPS follows someone...this is a stationary car parked in a timed spot on a public street) but that is just a personal opinion.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oh I am sure that will go over well.

I am all for the "taking a picture" plan...except in a few years someone who has like 50 tickets will complain saying that is illegal surveillance or something and find a way to argue they need a warrant for that too. Meanwhile those of us who park legally will just shake our head.
                                my town is switching to paid parking May-October. The locals are having a fit, even though anyone that registers their car in town can get a permit that lets them park on a residential side street for free, so if they don't want to pay for parking they might have to walk a block or two in our tiny town.

Comment

Working...
                                X