X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    That's what I was getting at. I work around a lot of people younger than me, and they're spouting that Moozlim/Porch Monkey racism with the best of them. Big time Trumpers, all of them.
    The children of the Dumpies I work with have been indoctrinated into the same political nonsense and they'll continue to vote R, but they don't have the same bigoted heat as their parents and grandparents. They went to school with black kids so they aren't afraid of them. They talk every day to equally talented and aggressive female coworkers so they don't have the age-old Christian Madonna/whore hang up about women.

They're still severely homophobic because (1) dumb jock culture and (2) Jesusf-ckistan.

They even look at the environment and think "hmm... that doesn't look too good for me or my kids..."

In other words, they are fifty years behind us. The South (in this case; I guess the Midwest too) is about 2 generations behind the developed world. In fifty years they'll be us while we'll be campaigning for Robot Rights or Whale Suffrage or Cow Reparations or something.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2019, 07:37 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      The children of the Dumpies I work with have been indoctrinated into the same political nonsense and they'll continue to vote R, but they don't have the same bigoted heat as their parents and grandparents. They went to school with black kids so they aren't afraid of them. They talk every day to equally talented and aggressive female coworkers so they don't have the age-old Christian Madonna/whore hang up about women.

They're still severely homophobic because (1) dumb jock culture and (2) Jesusf-ckistan.

They even look at the environment and think "hmm... that doesn't look too good for me or my kids..."

In other words, they are fifty years behind us. The South (in this case; I guess the Midwest too) is about 2 generations behind the developed world. In fifty years they'll be us while we'll be campaigning for Robot Rights or Whale Suffrage or Cow Reparations or something.
      Yeah, but the problem is the KKK/Nazi coalition that we call Conservatives or Republicans will just find some other way to appeal to the fears of stupid people. Joe Six Pack may not mind having a female boss, nor if his co-worker is openly gay. However, he will STILL vote Republican because they've sold him that they're standing up for the way of life he thinks he remembers when all women were in the kitchen and all gays were in the closet.

I'll give you a different example. Social Security. In a conservative world social security would not exist. Or, the people taking SS payments would not be conservatives. A decade or so ago, righties organized to float the trial balloon that social security was a Ponzi scheme. I started hearing that all of a sudden from several older knucks that I know. Just as quickly it went away. Why? Because the conservatives receiving the payments that they'd accumulated over a lifetime of work didn't like hearing that. So, the perpetual outrage machine switched tactics. Social Security wasn't the issue. It was those Other People, Over There, who were cheating the system and screwing hard working wingnuts out of what they'd rightfully earned!!!! That mindset, the idea that you yourself are a hard workin', god-fearin' American standing up for its real values even though you're on your 3rd marriage, haven't paid child support in years and are collecting disability due to some dubious work injury claim is a powerful narcotic that will be with us for a long, long time. Or at least until Baby Boomers have almost all left the scene. People like to be bullshi tted. The GOP is good at bullsh itting you and appealing to your fears. None of that will go away anytime soon.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
        It was those Other People, Over There, who were cheating the system and screwing hard working wingnuts out of what they'd rightfully earned!!!! That mindset, the idea that you yourself are a hard workin', god-fearin' American standing up for its real values even though you're on your 3rd marriage, haven't paid child support in years and are collecting disability due to some dubious work injury claim is a powerful narcotic that will be with us for a long, long time. Or at least until Baby Boomers have almost all left the scene. People like to be bullshi tted. The GOP is good at bullsh itting you and appealing to your fears. None of that will go away anytime soon.
        This is a good point. However, some bad news: it won't stop with the Boomers. Yes, the Boomers are the Most Selfish Generation because advertisers followed them cradle to grave for their market size. They destroyed academia, voted for Reagan and Dubya, and have stared into their mirrors their whole lives thinking nothing but "me, me, me!"

But, more broadly, that is what consumerism does to all people. As long as the American economy is based on consumption the entire superstructure of American culture will center on turning citizens into vain, superficial, vapid, dissatisfied eating machines. The Boomers were shocking because they were the first generation to be completely turned into this, but every subsequent generation will be like that, too. Marketing is brainwashing and everybody under the age of 90 has been brainwashed relentlessly every minute of every day of their lives. That's not going to stop until we get the consumerist monkey off our backs, and I don't know how to do that short of a radical Maoist-like Christian fundamentalist reawakening that would be worse than the disease.

We have commerce parasites living in our brains. We can't burn them out except with something even stronger. What can you name that's stronger -- and, remember, we're talking about the Dummies, here, so high brow philosophical flights of fancy are out -- that isn't even worse? The answer sure aint Jesus.
        Last edited by Kepler; 04-23-2019, 09:25 AM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          This is a good point. However, some bad news: it won't stop with the Boomers. Yes, the Boomers are the Most Selfish Generation because advertisers followed them cradle to grave for their market size. They destroyed academia, voted for Reagan and Dubya, and have stared into their mirrors their whole lives thinking nothing but "me, me, me!"

But, more broadly, that is what consumerism does to all people. As long as the American economy is based on consumption the entire superstructure of American culture will center on turning citizens into vain, superficial, vapid, dissatisfied eating machines. The Boomers are shocking because they were the first generation to be completely turned into this, but ever subsequent generation will be like that, too. Marketing is brainwashing and everybody under the age of 90 has been brainwashed relentless every minute of every day of their lives. That's not going to stop until we get the consumerist monkey off our backs, and I don't know how to do that.
          True, but here's some good news. The Boomers are by far the worst generation (maybe you argue the Silent Generation before them but they're both bad) AND until very recently they were the largest generation. That allowed them to dominate elections from the 70's on as they came into power and selected corrupt leaders to satisfy their delusions about themselves. Even now, they manage to give the GOP a solid 46% in every election. That allows them to hold serve and steal a few if the other side doesn't fully participate. However, they can't maintain that level of support forever as subsequent generations don't have that high a percentage of whiny a-holes. But, as you say, there will always be some of them in each generation.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

True, but here's some good news. The Boomers are by far the worst generation (maybe you argue the Silent Generation before them but they're both bad) AND until very recently they were the largest generation. That allowed them to dominate elections from the 70's on as they came into power and selected corrupt leaders to satisfy their delusions about themselves. Even now, they manage to give the GOP a solid 46% in every election. That allows them to hold serve and steal a few if the other side doesn't fully participate. However, they can't maintain that level of support forever as subsequent generations don't have that high a percentage of whiny a-holes. But, as you say, there will always be some of them in each generation.
            We will have to see whether the natural pendulum swings between generations will help us. The Boomers' size has also made them stay at the party longer than they should -- a normal-sized cohort would be long past the point of serious political influence now. IINM Gen Xers are now the most populace cohort in the electorate so whoever serves them will do well politically. Hopefully that means finally drawing a curtain on the ignominy of the "culture wars" and getting back to serious problem solving. I personally stand astride the Boomer/Gen X divide (1963) so I don't really feel like I can speak for either group. My ambition is my ambitions become moot for the electorate as a whole. By definition the future does not belong to me; I am far too old -- and yet there is a viscous mass 20 years older than I in office right now with two others attempting to dislodge it. As much as I like Warren we could really use somebody whose internal organs still work correctly running for the oval office.
            Cornell University

Comment

I don't have as sunny an outlook on the generations as Kepler. Grouchy old men will continue to be grouchy old men, no matter what generation they are from. I can see the 70 year old from any generation thinking, 'I worked my butt off in my youth, I deserve an easy retirement. **** kids, get off my lawn!'

Maybe Gen Xers never drank from separate water fountains, but those raised by racist parents are also racist.

I also look at the Boomers and think that was the generation that were hippies and Vietnam war protesters in their youth.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                I don't have as sunny an outlook on the generations as Kepler. Grouchy old men will continue to be grouchy old men, no matter what generation they are from. I can see the 70 year old from any generation thinking, 'I worked my butt off in my youth, I deserve an easy retirement. **** kids, get off my lawn!'

Maybe Gen Xers never drank from separate water fountains, but those raised by racist parents are also racist.

I also look at the Boomers and think that was the generation that were hippies and Vietnam war protesters in their youth.
                I have to disagree somewhat. Having remembered my grandparents as 70 year olds compared to the 70 year olds of today there is a vast, VAST difference in attitude between those two generations. I don't foresee anybody collectively as narcissistic and basically insane as Baby Boomers.

I also don't think you're doomed to be a racist if your parents have a racist attitude. It may be more likely but then again some kids wouldn't agree with their parents if they told them rain was wet.

Finally I think Boomers have fostered a way more romanticized version of themselves and their actions in the 1960's. They were protesting Vietnam because they didn't want to get drafted, which is a good enough reason for me but their motives are as always self-centered. They also try to take credit for the liberalism of the 1960's when in fact none but the absolute oldest of them was able to vote at any point in the 1960's (age to vote was 21 until amendment lowered it to 18 but that didn't happen until 1970 IIRC). IMO they were always jerks and when they become the largest cohorts of voters in the 70's and 80's we all saw the end result.

Comment

I have to disagree somewhat. Having remembered my grandparents as 70 year olds compared to the 70 year olds of today there is a vast, VAST difference in attitude between those two generations. I don't foresee anybody collectively as narcissistic and basically insane as Baby Boomers.
                  I agree.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                  Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Finally I think Boomers have fostered a way more romanticized version of themselves and their actions in the 1960's. They were protesting Vietnam because they didn't want to get drafted, which is a good enough reason for me but their motives are as always self-centered. They also try to take credit for the liberalism of the 1960's when in fact none but the absolute oldest of them was able to vote at any point in the 1960's (age to vote was 21 until amendment lowered it to 18 but that didn't happen until 1970 IIRC). IMO they were always jerks and when they become the largest cohorts of voters in the 70's and 80's we all saw the end result.
                    The most absurd conceit of the Boomers is they discovered sex. Sexual performativeness goes in cycles and the Boomers' reaction to their parents wasn't anything liberating, it was just them trying to p-ss off Mommy and Daddy. In part you can see this in how incredibly sexist the hippies were. The boys got to play Easy Rider but the girls were still doing the cooking and cleaning. And even in stuck in the mud America, if you look at "charity girls" in the 1910s or what prior sexually free generations got up to you see how the Boomers did nothing novel or exciting except launch an STD plague.

It's a kidney stone of a generation -- self-serving, short-sighted, snowflakey, and cowardly. We'll all be better off when they're all in the ground, and I say that being a half-Boomer myself.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      The most absurd conceit of the Boomers is they discovered sex. Sexual performativeness goes in cycles and the Boomers' reaction to their parents wasn't anything liberating, it was just them trying to p-ss off Mommy and Daddy. In part you can see this in how incredibly sexist the hippies were. The boys got to play Easy Rider but the girls were still doing the cooking and cleaning. And even in stuck in the mud America, if you look at "charity girls" in the 1910s or what prior sexually free generations got up to you see how the Boomers did nothing novel or exciting except launch an STD plague.

It's a kidney stone of a generation -- self-serving, short-sighted, snowflakey, and cowardly. We'll all be better off when they're all in the ground, and I say that being a half-Boomer myself.
                      True, except the hippie boys didn't play Easy Rider. They just sat around and got stoned.

You could say that the bikers were part of the hippie movement, and they probably get lumped in there cause its a lazy association to make. But totally different head, man. Totally.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Not quite sure which judiciary thread this fits best in, but Sixth Circuit rules that chalking tires for parking enforcement is unconstitutional.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

That’s actually a really interesting ruling. I couldn’t help but laugh reading it. I like it.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

While I think that is rather creative...I completely disagree with the ruling.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              That’s actually a really interesting ruling. I couldn’t help but laugh reading it. I like it.
                              It is a good one. I also agree with the ruling, and the alternate option for traffic enforcement: take a photo.
                              North Dakota
                              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

So the issue is "trespass", the contacting of private property.

As the article says, the solution to that is a non-contact way to identify: photo.

Problem. Solution. Done.
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X