X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    That’s the kind of stuff that makes me say “that’s what unions are for.”

If they tried that at my work that employee would be back the next day. Even drug/alcohol issues require an opportunity to go to rehab before anything. If there’s one thing that’s backwards it’s the anti-union myth of “they keep bad employees around”, no bad management too lazy to actually keep track of things keeps bad employees around.

If you really want to see how an employer feels about you try reporting an injury, even in a union workplace it’s an ordeal, I shudder to think what it’s like elsewhere.
    Agreed. Unfortunately there isn't a single "big box" that will allow the word "union" to even be mentioned. Also, many employees just accept it. The phrase "It's retail." along with a shrugging of your shoulders is a common answer to any and all problems.
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Agreed. Unfortunately there isn't a single "big box" that will allow the word "union" to even be mentioned. Also, many employees just accept it. The phrase "It's retail." along with a shrugging of your shoulders is a common answer to any and all problems.
      Meijer is union with UFCW.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
        Was not aware of that. Sporting Goods & Outdoors retail are all non-union.
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          From what I’ve heard from a couple Meijer workers, it’s started trending more towards Walmart-lite since Fred died, despite being union. Still infinitely better than Walmart, but not what it once was.

Kroger is also union.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Yep, even when I worked there as a 17 year-old I paid dues out of every measly part-time check I made.

Payroll cards were still unregulated though, and they definitely pushed us to get paid on Meijer debit cards.

I hated working there though, lots of sh*tty grunt work for only slightly more than minimum wage due to my prior work experience. I never should've left Arby's at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              So you don't see employment rules protecting people just like pollution rules?

By your logic, if people are willing to work for it, I should be able to give them low pay. And I should be able to hire children at low pay as well. And if they get cranky in the morning, I should be able to replace them by the afternoon.

Yes, that's an extreme example, but it is.

What you don't see is that by letting a business fire for no reason, you then harm the employee- they lose the ability to pay for food, shelter, etc.

How can you just gloss over the economic implications of just firing someone for no reason? That's a pretty big deal for people, it's like the most stressful thing to people, especially ones surviving from paycheck to paycheck.

Regulations are 100% because people and businesses can not behave themselves, and their lack of behavior harms something (people, environment, animals, etc). Thus the regulations around not firing someone.

You really come across as someone who is totally out of touch with the reality of many people.
              I'm sure most of you won't believe it, but I'm actually a very good employer. I don't fire people for wearing red tennis shoes or any other arbitrary reason. In fact, I haven't fired anyone for more than 10 years.

But my underlying point is that employees need to stop thinking of their employer as this maternalistic support system without which they'll die. I think you need to look at it like I did my very first job, mowing neighborhood lawns. If I want to mow their lawn, and if they want me to mow their lawn, and we can agree upon a price, I'll do the work. The work won't always be there because they may choose to look elsewhere.

I think if more people had that outlook they'd be better prepared for things like plant closings, layoffs, etc...
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I'm sure most of you won't believe it, but I'm actually a very good employer.
                Why wouldn't we believe it? Having talked to you many times over the years I assume you're a great employer. Laws are not there to protect us against our best citizens.

Employees are in a weak and perilous position relative to employers. They need protection. Unions work when they have sufficient numbers but we also need strong laws. You're a good employer -- yay! Those laws will never apply to you.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm sure most of you won't believe it, but I'm actually a very good employer.
                  You mean you didn't enjoy firing a librul when Obama was elected and then re-elected?

Comment

Unions have had good success with grocery stores. They're in the Super Value company, too. A few of my friends were cart pushers at CUB foods, and they were all union. (CUB is owned by Super Value.)
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

I'm sure most of you won't believe it, but I'm actually a very good employer. I don't fire people for wearing red tennis shoes or any other arbitrary reason. In fact, I haven't fired anyone for more than 10 years.

But my underlying point is that employees need to stop thinking of their employer as this maternalistic support system without which they'll die. I think you need to look at it like I did my very first job, mowing neighborhood lawns. If I want to mow their lawn, and if they want me to mow their lawn, and we can agree upon a price, I'll do the work. The work won't always be there because they may choose to look elsewhere.

I think if more people had that outlook they'd be better prepared for things like plant closings, layoffs, etc...
                      I believe it...that is why I used you as the exception to the rule. My buddy is a good one as well, but he has had enough bad ones to know that there needs to be employee protections in place. Being in an "At-Will" state though makes things different though.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What are the odds something like this is granted cert? The daughter was legally emancipated at 15.
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

What are the odds something like this is granted cert? The daughter was legally emancipated at 15.
                          She was legally emancipated. What the hell was the standing for the women to even bring suit? If I'm the lower court judge that not only gets tossed it gets a sharp rebuke for wasting the court's time.

I think the odds of SCOTUS cert are subzero. No doubt Alito, Pubic Hair, and PBR will drool over it but Roberts has no interest in bringing that ball of snot into chambers unless he wants to once and for all tell the orcs to cut the sh-t and only bring him cases to suppress blacks' votes.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 07-25-2019, 06:40 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            She was legally emancipated. What the hell was the standing for the women to even bring suit? If I'm the lower court judge that not only gets tossed it gets a sharp rebuke for wasting the court's time.

I think the odds of SCOTUS cert are subzero. No doubt Alito, Pubic Hair, and PBR will drool over it but Roberts has no interest in bringing that ball of snot into chambers unless he wants to once and for all tell the orcs to cut the sh-t and only bring him cases to suppress blacks' votes.
                            Not only that, according the article, the parent is basically drip slime. I'm surprised the case made it as far as it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              She was legally emancipated. What the hell was the standing for the women to even bring suit? If I'm the judge that not only gets tossed it gets a sharp rebuke for wasting the court's time.
                              If the alleged misconduct (facilitating her transition) occurred prior to emancipation and allegedly contributed to it, the case is not that simple. If the Supremes took it, there is at least one issue they feel is worth clarifying. Hopefully, they stuff the Appellants.

Comment

Not only that, according the article, the parent is basically drip slime.
                                I gathered that from the girl being emancipated so young. That basically happens if the parent is:

a) a felon

b) a drug addict

c) a domestic abuser

d) all of the above

The Thomas More Society sounds like opportunistic rat bast-rds as well.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 07-25-2019, 06:51 PM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X