This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 14: Confirming a Rabid Partisan to Own the Libs

I don't think being nominated by Trump, or working for Trump should necessarily be a disqualifier. If you think that previous relationship will affect their decision making, then don't sign it. If not, then as you said, he's qualified.

At least, that's how I would approach it.
    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

I think working for him should be. It’s just a hard line for me.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
        So I'm torn on something. I recently received a group request to sign a letter of support for a federal judicial nominee. He's definitely qualified and we've always been on personally friendly terms as acquaintances. My problem is who he's being nominated by (Trump) and who he has worked for (Trump, and not in a merit-based, deep state type of position but a political one).

I honestly think the latter prevents me from supporting his nomination, but I don't feel good about it. Should one act really disqualify 15 previous years of accomplishments? I guess it does, at least for me.
        If it's for district court, what kind of trial judge would he be? If you think he would be good, support him. If it's an appellate position, I'd take a different approach. I don't know about bankruptcy judges.

Comment

I think the answer is do you think this person will be a good judge. Is he or she the type of person you’d feel comfortable appearing in front of and confident you’d get a fair and reasoned decision. If so, support them.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I think the answer is do you think this person will be a good judge. Is he or she the type of person you’d feel comfortable appearing in front of and confident you’d get a fair and reasoned decision. If so, support them.
            And what it comes down to for me is that if you voluntarily worked for this President's administration, it basically signals to me you're either stupid, corrupt, or flagrantly partisan. None of which I would want to put on the bench. And I know he's not stupid.

I don't like thinking that, but there it is.
            Last edited by unofan; 09-06-2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

And what it comes down to for me is that if you voluntarily worked for this President's administration, it basically signals to me you're either stupid, corrupt, or flagrantly partisan. None of which I would want to put on the bench. And I know he's not stupid.

That's not bad logic, uno, particularly since his prior service was political in nature.

Comment

Funny thing about that- it's the same reasoning that I'm really not interested in getting to know the people I work with- as I know many of them are dumpy supporters, even some of his more insane policies. And knowing that, it would make me question their integrity (given what we work on). By their reasoning- we shouldn't even be bothering doing the work we do, as de-regulation is the way to go.... So I don't really want to know if they have an interest in changing the state of the art of what we do.

It's a tough choice. When you know someone supports crazy, to the point of volunteering- it does question their judgement. Which is pretty applicable here....

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Bingo

Comment

I have to agree, and I really don't like thinking it.

There are no good Nazis. If you work for it or vote for it or sponsor it you are it.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's certainly possible he's corrupt or flagrantly partisan. But there might be other explanations as well. He might be someone with the belief (misguided?) that he can change things for the better from within. I also think that people will take jobs, especially political ones, if they think it means a possibility for advancement (like a judicial appointment), no matter how distasteful it might be to take the appointment.

I don't think you should lose any sleep over your refusal to support him since your reason is certainly justifiable. I once had a chance to hire an employee from a competitor. That competitor, imho, was always a very shady operator. I felt they were dishonest and produced bad product. But I knew the guy and he just didn't feel the same as his employer to me. In the end we didn't hire him. I've often wondered if I made a mistake.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

If he worked for Trump just to advance his career that is exhibit A you go against him. It would be one thing if he did it because he is a lifelong GOPer so he always stumps for the nominee but to choose means you are willfully stupid, completely self centered or blind.
                        Last edited by Handyman; 09-06-2019, 10:34 AM.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          I once had a chance to hire an employee from a competitor. That competitor, imho, was always a very shady operator. I felt they were dishonest and produced bad product. But I knew the guy and he just didn't feel the same as his employer to me. In the end we didn't hire him. I've often wondered if I made a mistake.
                          That's a very good analogy. Thanks for sharing that.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            If he worked for Trump just to advance his career that is exhibit A you go against him. It would be one thing if he did it because he is a lifelong GOPer so he always stumps for the nominee but to choose means you are willfully stupid, completely self centered or blind.
                            I think that's extreme.

Let's say you are a prosecutor in the U.S. attorney's office in Minnesota when Trump gets elected. Trump boots all of Obama's appointees. If it was your desire to be US Attorney someday and you thought you had a shot, wouldn't you take it, even if it meant you were appointed by Trump?

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I think that's extreme.

Let's say you are a prosecutor in the U.S. attorney's office in Minnesota when Trump gets elected. Trump boots all of Obama's appointees. If it was your desire to be US Attorney someday and you thought you had a shot, wouldn't you take it, even if it meant you were appointed by Trump?
                              Other Republicans...yes. Trump no. But even if I did the second I saw what it truly was I would be out. I am not selling my soul for a job.

Trump and his cronies dont hide what they are. There is no excuse. This is not a case of "joining the Klan because they control the machine" this is going against what the job stands for for political gain. That isnt me. Otherwise I am no better than the GOPers in Congress who go against everything they stand for because Trump has the power they want.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                Other Republicans...yes. Trump no. But even if I did the second I saw what it truly was I would be out. I am not selling my soul for a job.

Trump and his cronies dont hide what they are. There is no excuse. This is not a case of "joining the Klan because they control the machine" this is going against what the job stands for for political gain. That isnt me. Otherwise I am no better than the GOPers in Congress who go against everything they stand for because Trump has the power they want.
                                Correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X