Bentley University Falcons 2018-19: Goodbye JAR, hello Bentley Arena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schiegs View Post
    Didn't watch the game, but the stats sheet looks very equal. I'm curious if it was as even as the numbers make it look.

The flurry at the end of regulation was exciting, but a 1-0 loss probably felt like a snoozer to the casual hockey fan.
    Another tough one-goal loss, at AIC 5-4 in OT, after holding leads most of the game, although outshot almost 2-1.

Comment

Re: Bentley University Falcons 2018-19: Goodbye JAR, hello Bentley Arena

As luck would have it, the games are running up against the Red Sox this weekend. This can't be good for attendance, despite two very close schools. Tickets are getting a little sparse for UML, but still plenty left for HC.
      Bentley University Hockey
      On-campus arena: Build it, and they will come...

Comment

As luck would have it, the games are running up against the Red Sox this weekend. This can't be good for attendance, despite two very close schools. Tickets are getting a little sparse for UML, but still plenty left for HC.
        Amazing, eh, that tickets might be a tough get?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Amazing, eh, that tickets might be a tough get?
          Lots of empty seats for my first visit to the Bentley Arena where I watched the Falcons first win of season, 7-4 against arch rival Holy Cross. Three frosh got their first career goals, three skaters scored twice, and Santerno tallied four assists. Late night, as I then watched innings 7-18 of game 3.

Comment

Lots of empty seats for my first visit to the Bentley Arena where I watched the Falcons first win of season, 7-4 against arch rival Holy Cross. Three frosh got their first career goals, three skaters scored twice, and Santerno tallied four assists. Late night, as I then watched innings 7-18 of game 3.
            Miss the JAR yet?

Comment

Miss the JAR yet?
              Do not miss the JAR at all. The new arena is wonderful. Great sound system, really fine pep band, excellent management of the Jumbotron, decent food concessions, $5 beers, and free parking. Better attendance tonight for UML, an honest 1000 seats filled, as opposed to about half as many last night.

Comment

My wife and I attended the UML/Bentley game last night and wanted to congratulate the school/students/alum on the new rink. We sat in Sect 105 Row E and felt part of the game; given the risk of flying pucks you stay focused on game play. The sound system, video/scoreboard are excellent and the concessions inexpensive (water was half the price of the Tsongas). We were particularly impressed with the environmentally friendly/sustainability effort employed in it's design and build; kudos to the school. I would have liked to see the home team have had a bigger turnout but I'm sure the weather and conflict with the Sox likely played into it. Good luck going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by ULowell'81 View Post
                  My wife and I attended the UML/Bentley game last night and wanted to congratulate the school/students/alum on the new rink. We sat in Sect 105 Row E and felt part of the game; given the risk of flying pucks you stay focused on game play. The sound system, video/scoreboard are excellent and the concessions inexpensive (water was half the price of the Tsongas). We were particularly impressed with the environmentally friendly/sustainability effort employed in it's design and build; kudos to the school. I would have liked to see the home team have had a bigger turnout but I'm sure the weather and conflict with the Sox likely played into it. Good luck going forward.
                  Thank you for posting. I am curious to hear what people from outside the Bentley community think of our new digs. Glad you enjoyed it, and hope you can make it back someday, perhaps for future H.E. conference games. (I'm going to just put that down right there.)

Comment

Thank you for posting. I am curious to hear what people from outside the Bentley community think of our new digs. Glad you enjoyed it, and hope you can make it back someday, perhaps for future H.E. conference games. (I'm going to just put that down right there.)
                    One never knows. I plan on a return trip; perhaps as soon as the Harvard/Bentley game. My best friend is a Bentley alum and played baseball there from '78-'82 and as a result I spent a bit of time on the campus back in the day. It left me with affinity for the place; I think I'll grab a couple of tix for that (or another) game and surprise him with a night out including a hockey game at his Alma mater.
                    Last edited by ULowell'81; 10-28-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ULowell'81 View Post
                      One never knows. I plan on a return trip; perhaps as soon as the Harvard/Bentley game. My best friend is a Bentley alum and played baseball there from '78-'82 and as a result I spent a bit of time on the campus back in the day. It left me with affinity for the place; I think I'll grab a couple of tix for that (or another) game and surprise him with a night out including a hockey game at his Alma mater.
                      I did that last night for a UML fan/friend, but he got sick so was a no show. Hoping for better result (in two ways) with Harvard fan/friend.

Comment

Do not miss the JAR at all. The new arena is wonderful. Great sound system, really fine pep band, excellent management of the Jumbotron, decent food concessions, $5 beers, and free parking. Better attendance tonight for UML, an honest 1000 seats filled, as opposed to about half as many last night.
                        I went to the UML game as well. Really tough weekend for attendance all around considering Halloween weekend for students, and Red Sox games both nights. Hopefully the student section will be a bit more full and lively next weekend against Sacred Heart.

Overall, the boys didn't play too poorly. It's definitely a young team, especially on offense. Particularly, Garin, Pitera, and Novak stuck out as guys that show some really good signs as young players. Novak IS the real deal, but definitely needs some refinement. He made some really impressive plays but needs to catch up to the pace of play a little bit and needs to use his size to his advantage. I'm very excited for the player he could become though.

Other offensive notes: I liked what I saw from Callin, Desbiens, and Gorowsky (before he got tossed), and they seem to mesh well with the younger guys. Something interesting that I picked up on as well... seems like we finally have some real depth in terms of lines. For the past 5 or 6 years, there's been "The Line" that is just stacked. I'm thinking of lines like Gladiuk-French-Schmidt, Gladiuk-Grieve-Switzer, Desbiens-French-Schmidt, that Soder would heavily favor throughout and especially towards the end of the game. This year, this doesn't seem to be the case. The last 5 minutes of UML were pretty evenly split between the top 3 lines, and it really lets guys catch their breath and gives us a good shot coming down to the wire. It doesn't seem like a line like that is going to be emerging anytime soon, and I think that's a good thing.

Defensively, I thought everybody looked good (especially Jago) with the exception of Lombardozzi. He made some sloppy plays and just looked uncomfortable overall. Speaking of uncomfortable, Pelino was not great in net. Seems like he is lacking a bit of confidence back there and was letting up some JUICY rebounds the whole night. Will be interesting to see if freshman Frasier Kirk gets some playing time in the future.

Should be at the game vs. Sacred Heart on Saturday, looking forward to it!

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                          I went to the UML game as well. Really tough weekend for attendance all around considering Halloween weekend for students, and Red Sox games both nights. Hopefully the student section will be a bit more full and lively next weekend against Sacred Heart.

Overall, the boys didn't play too poorly. It's definitely a young team, especially on offense. Particularly, Garin, Pitera, and Novak stuck out as guys that show some really good signs as young players. Novak IS the real deal, but definitely needs some refinement. He made some really impressive plays but needs to catch up to the pace of play a little bit and needs to use his size to his advantage. I'm very excited for the player he could become though.

Other offensive notes: I liked what I saw from Callin, Desbiens, and Gorowsky (before he got tossed), and they seem to mesh well with the younger guys. Something interesting that I picked up on as well... seems like we finally have some real depth in terms of lines. For the past 5 or 6 years, there's been "The Line" that is just stacked. I'm thinking of lines like Gladiuk-French-Schmidt, Gladiuk-Grieve-Switzer, Desbiens-French-Schmidt, that Soder would heavily favor throughout and especially towards the end of the game. This year, this doesn't seem to be the case. The last 5 minutes of UML were pretty evenly split between the top 3 lines, and it really lets guys catch their breath and gives us a good shot coming down to the wire. It doesn't seem like a line like that is going to be emerging anytime soon, and I think that's a good thing.

Defensively, I thought everybody looked good (especially Jago) with the exception of Lombardozzi. He made some sloppy plays and just looked uncomfortable overall. Speaking of uncomfortable, Pelino was not great in net. Seems like he is lacking a bit of confidence back there and was letting up some JUICY rebounds the whole night. Will be interesting to see if freshman Frasier Kirk gets some playing time in the future.

Should be at the game vs. Sacred Heart on Saturday, looking forward to it!
                          Excellent summary of the UML game, which also could apply to the HC gave the night before, when the three frosh that you mentioned scored their first collegiate goals and five goals total of the seven.

Sorry that I will be out of town this weekend. I look at both games as must wins, to make up for the dismal one point in the two games against AIC. The Falcons need to feast on the eastern division AHC teams, no matter how early in the season.

Comment

Sorry, but weekend splits vs. Sacred Heart at home won't cut it.

Comment

Sorry, but weekend splits vs. Sacred Heart at home won't cut it.
                              Agreed. And they BARELY pulled out that win on Saturday. The student section was practically empty on Saturday as well, and the lack of the band emphasized the quietness.

Pelino was pulled after the first period for Jake Bryniarski, who allowed no goals during his time on the ice. Jake also picked up his first collegiate win, so congrats Jake!
                              Wondering whether Soder just wanted to give Jake a look, or if Pelino is injured. Despite the no goals allowed, well over 5 (probably closer to 10) pucks hit the post on fairly easy opportunities against Jake... I don't think he's a sustainable option in net. If you don't want to give Pelino a shot, give freshman Frasier Kirk a try.

Per my last post, Lombardozzi had another bad game on the blue-line. The second of SHU's 2 goals was a puck that was VERY badly mishandled by Lombardozzi leading to a breakaway.
                              Solovyev looked particularly good Saturday, and Jago continues to be the leader of the team.

Callin put away the OT winner, but missed a couple wide open nets earlier in the game. Garin and Pitera continue to impress.

Overall, play has got to improve if they want to pick up a good seed in the Atlantic Hockey tournament. A conference record of 2-2-1 is not a horrible start, but probably better than their play indicates.

Comment

Originally posted by acohen527 View Post
                                Agreed. And they BARELY pulled out that win on Saturday. The student section was practically empty on Saturday as well, and the lack of the band emphasized the quietness.

Pelino was pulled after the first period for Jake Bryniarski, who allowed no goals during his time on the ice. Jake also picked up his first collegiate win, so congrats Jake!
                                Wondering whether Soder just wanted to give Jake a look, or if Pelino is injured. Despite the no goals allowed, well over 5 (probably closer to 10) pucks hit the post on fairly easy opportunities against Jake... I don't think he's a sustainable option in net. If you don't want to give Pelino a shot, give freshman Frasier Kirk a try.

Per my last post, Lombardozzi had another bad game on the blue-line. The second of SHU's 2 goals was a puck that was VERY badly mishandled by Lombardozzi leading to a breakaway.
                                Solovyev looked particularly good Saturday, and Jago continues to be the leader of the team.

Callin put away the OT winner, but missed a couple wide open nets earlier in the game. Garin and Pitera continue to impress.

Overall, play has got to improve if they want to pick up a good seed in the Atlantic Hockey tournament. A conference record of 2-2-1 is not a horrible start, but probably better than their play indicates.
                                Another great summary; thanks, as I was out of town. Ironic how Bentley students were a driving force to get a rink built on campus, but now their successors are no shows. Very sad, and may prove true that the vast majority of faculty who thought that the rink expenditure was unwise were correct. But, the rink was smartly cast as an All Events Center, and is a fine showpiece for overall student recruitment, not just hockey players.

Comment

Working...
                                X