• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
    "UNH Commits Update 4-19-2019: Final 2018-19 Statistics"
    Features video highlights of Will Margel, Robert Cronin, and Tim Stützle
    Always love looking at these! Thanks again for all your efforts and keeping us informed. Have to say that I'm still looking for a goal scorer to come in next year.

Comment

2020 UNH Commit Tim Stützle & Team Germany won GOLD at the IIHF Hockey U18 Division I Group A World Championship. Stützle tied 1st in scoring (9 pts) & assists (7) in 5 games. He also scored 2 goals. He was awarded the top forward prize for the tournament.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
        2020 UNH Commit Tim Stützle & Team Germany won GOLD at the IIHF Hockey U18 Division I Group A World Championship. Stützle tied 1st in scoring (9 pts) & assists (7) in 5 games. He also scored 2 goals. He was awarded the top forward prize for the tournament.
        If we had concerns about this fish getting too big for our small pond before … the fish just got bigger.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          If we had concerns about this fish getting too big for our small pond before … the fish just got bigger.
          On the optimistic side hopefully means our pond is getting bigger.

Comment

2019-20
            So.Crookshank--Sr.Blackburn---Jr.Kelleher
            So.Esposito------So.Pierson----Sr.Grasso
            Fr.Stevenson---So.Engaras-----Sr.Fregona
            Sr.Sacco--------Fr.Herrmann----Jr.MacAdams
            Jr.Sato----------So.Cipollone

Jr.Gildon---------Sr.Wyse
            Jr.Maass---------Fr. Eriksson
            So.MacKinnon---So.Verrier
            Sr.Dawson-------Fr.McElhaney
            So.Hickey

2020-21
            Jr.Crookshank---Fr.Stutzle---Sr.Kelleher
            Fr.Margel-------Jr.Pierson----Sr.Grasso
            So.Stevenson--Jr.Engaras---Fr.Curran
            Jr.Esposito-----So.Herrmann--Sr.MacAdams
            Fr.Sweeney-----Sr.Sato-----Sr.Sacco
            Jr.Cipollone-----Fr.Wazny----

Sr.Maass-----So.Eriksson
            Jr.MacKinnon--Jr.Verrier
            Fr.______-----Fr.________
            Fr._____------So.McElhaney
            Jr.Hickey

2021-22
            Sr.Crookshank--So.Stutzle-----Sr.Engaras
            So.Margel------Sr.Pierson-----So.Curran
            Sr.Esposito----Jr.Stevenson----Fr.D.Sacco
            Fr.Jones-------Jr.Herrmann------Fr.Cronin
            Fr.J.Ring-------So.Sweeney-----Fr.Devlin
            So.Wazny------Sr.Cipollone

Fr.Ardanaz----Jr.Eriksson
            Sr.MacKinnon--Sr.Verrier
            So.______----So.________
            So._____------Jr.McElhaney
            Sr.Hickey

2022-23
            Jr.Margel-------Jr.Stutzle????---Jr.Curran
            Sr.Stevenson---So.D.Sacco-----Fr.Turner
            So.Jones-------Sr.Herrmann----So.Cronin
            So.J.Ring------Jr.Sweeney------So.Devlin
            Fr.Leclerc------Fr.Winters-------Fr.Carafelli
            Jr.Wazny

So.Ardanaz--Sr.Eriksson
            Jr.______----Jr.________
            Jr._____-----Sr.McElhaney
            Fr._______--Fr._______
            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
              2019-20
              So.Crookshank--Sr.Blackburn---Jr.Kelleher
              So.Esposito------So.Pierson----Sr.Grasso
              Fr.Stevenson---So.Engaras-----Sr.Fregona
              Sr.Sacco--------Fr.Herrmann----Jr.MacAdams
              Jr.Sato----------So.Cipollone

Jr.Gildon---------Sr.Wyse
              Jr.Maass---------Fr. Eriksson
              So.MacKinnon---So.Verrier
              Sr.Dawson-------Fr.McElhaney
              So.Hickey

2020-21
              Jr.Crookshank---Fr.Stutzle---Sr.Kelleher
              Fr.Margel-------Jr.Pierson----Sr.Grasso
              So.Stevenson--Jr.Engaras---Fr.Curran
              Jr.Esposito-----So.Herrmann--Sr.MacAdams
              Fr.Sweeney-----Sr.Sato-----Sr.Sacco
              Jr.Cipollone-----Fr.Wazny----

Sr.Maass-----So.Eriksson
              Jr.MacKinnon--Jr.Verrier
              Fr.______-----Fr.________
              Fr._____------So.McElhaney
              Jr.Hickey

2021-22
              Sr.Crookshank--So.Stutzle-----Sr.Engaras
              So.Margel------Sr.Pierson-----So.Curran
              Sr.Esposito----Jr.Stevenson----Fr.D.Sacco
              Fr.Jones-------Jr.Herrmann------Fr.Cronin
              Fr.J.Ring-------So.Sweeney-----Fr.Devlin
              So.Wazny------Sr.Cipollone

Fr.Ardanaz----Jr.Eriksson
              Sr.MacKinnon--Sr.Verrier
              So.______----So.________
              So._____------Jr.McElhaney
              Sr.Hickey

2022-23
              Jr.Margel-------Jr.Stutzle????---Jr.Curran
              Sr.Stevenson---So.D.Sacco-----Fr.Turner
              So.Jones-------Sr.Herrmann----So.Cronin
              So.J.Ring------Jr.Sweeney------So.Devlin
              Fr.Leclerc------Fr.Winters-------Fr.Carafelli
              Jr.Wazny

So.Ardanaz--Sr.Eriksson
              Jr.______----Jr.________
              Jr._____-----Sr.McElhaney
              Fr._______--Fr._______
              Some dynamic forward lines, particularly starting in Fall 2020
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

They are not done with recruiting this year. Maybe one more impact forward this year and they will be on the trail for a few top tier defensemen for next year and beyond. You are correct CHC that our future forward lines are very dynamic. We might need a large body forward for some protection. Thanks for hockey chatter as it seems to be all over the map for everything but college hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                  They are not done with recruiting this year. Maybe one more impact forward this year and they will be on the trail for a few top tier defensemen for next year and beyond. You are correct CHC that our future forward lines are very dynamic. We might need a large body forward for some protection. Thanks for hockey chatter as it seems to be all over the map for everything but college hockey.
                  You must be referring to the other UNH thread, 32? The one with Chuck Connors, the Rifleman on TV?

But, back to incoming UNH recruits. What does the word "dynamic" mean above? Multiple freshmen skating on the top two lines? Or? Also, the word "protection"? Back in the day, every NHL team had an "enforcer," but I never thought that those players were a big part of college hockey. Anyway, just curious about the context of these words. I am definitely upbeat about many of Souza's recruits.
                  Last edited by Snively65; 05-01-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    You must be referring to the other UNH thread, 32? The one with Chuck Connors, the Rifleman on TV?

But, back to incoming UNH recruits. What does the word "dynamic" mean above? Multiple freshmen skating on the top two lines? Or? Also, the word "protection"? Back in the day, every NHL team had an "enforcer," but I never thought that those players were a big part of college hockey. Anyway, just curious about the context of these words. I am definitely upbeat about many of Souza's recruits.
                    IIRC, Chuck took us down the Celtics rabbit hole!

But back to hockey, when should we expect to get the definitive answer on BvR??
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      IIRC, Chuck took us down the Celtics rabbit hole!

But back to hockey, when should we expect to get the definitive answer on BvR??
                      He’s gone. He was gone when he entered the portal. Divver is not some irresponsible reporter - when he ‘hears’ something it means he has a real good source on a story - perhaps NU themselves. He’s not rumor-mongering...

Nothing can be announced by NU until they get a signed financial aid agreement/scholarship which is likely to be contingent on BVR finishing his UNH course work and graduating. Even then they may wait until they wrap up and announce their entire class. It’s a matter of time and compliance...

It’s how everyone knew NU’s Ryan Ruck was transferring to CC - but official stories and releases didn’t break until yesterday. The day final grades were in at NU. Assuming BVR needs no additional summer coursework - spring semester graduation for UNH is May 18...

The only thing left to worry about regarding BVR is whether this is a one-off or might set a precedent for other upperclassmen should UNH fail to make an NCAA Tournament or exhibit legitimate competitiveness this coming season...
                      Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2019, 04:30 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• As for the incoming F’s - it’s still Stutzle, Margel and a whole lot of question marks. Junior hockey assignments for the coming year is the first step to answering those questions...

Stutzle should be in Sioux City. Margel should be in Sioux Falls. Nice to see Sweeney get out of the east to the BCHL - now can he score at that level? Will any of Curran, Wazny, Jones or Cronin join him? Or better yet, head to the USHL...

Can those remaining in prep-school take the next step from good enough to dominant...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          He’s gone. He was gone when he entered the portal. Divver is not some irresponsible reporter - when he ‘hears’ something it means he has a real good source on a story - perhaps NU themselves. He’s not rumor-mongering...

Nothing can be announced by NU until they get a signed financial aid agreement/scholarship which is likely to be contingent on BVR finishing his UNH course work and graduating. Even then they may wait until they wrap up and announce their entire class. It’s a matter of time and compliance...

It’s how everyone knew NU’s Ryan Ruck was transferring to CC - but official stories and releases didn’t break until yesterday. The day final grades were in at NU. Assuming BVR needs no additional summer coursework - spring semester graduation for UNH is May 18...

The only thing left to worry about regarding JVR is whether this is a one-off or might set a precedent for other upperclassmen should UNH fail to make an NCAA Tournament or exhibit legitimate competitiveness this coming season...
                          Fair enough! Thanks for that Dan.

I share your concern about other possible defections. On the other hand, I kinda like the idea of players having some options should they decide to opt into the portal. This can work in UNH's favor at some point down the line also. I think it was you who said BvR is easily replaceable anyway. Apologies if it wasn't you. At any rate, I wish him well moving forward.
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            Fair enough! Thanks for that Dan.

I share your concern about other possible defections. On the other hand, I kinda like the idea of players having some options should they decide to opt into the portal. This can work in UNH's favor at some point down the line also. I think it was you who said BvR is easily replaceable anyway. Apologies if it wasn't you. At any rate, I wish him well moving forward.
                            In a vacuum, the portal is great for the players. They should have that freedom - especially since a number of sports allow free transfers already. When it happens to your team, its a tougher pill to swallow. I don't begrudge BVR in the least. I wouldn't have (meant to) say he is easily replaceable - but I would agree that his departure is not an insurmountable obstacle to success next season. UNH should be able to cover his departure simply by getting an eligible Engaras into the fold. Engaras is a two-way center who can (at the very least) chip in some offense, check and kill penalties. Hopefully more than that. Improvement from guys like MacAdams, Esposito and Fregona can also make up for the loss of BVR, and his on-ice impact. They should be fine - and I also wish BVR well and hope he takes a big step at NU...

The biggest key to UNH's season next year will be what they need out of their top returning forwards - i.e. senior (four-year) jumps from Blackburn and Grasso and notable improvements from now experienced underclassmen like Kelleher, Pierson and Crookshank...

Blackburn is more smart and positional with good hands around the goal than he is a sniper and while expectations were through the roof for Grasso after he scored 20-goals as a FR (9 came on the PP) - his last two seasons were more in line with his early junior career. But both are 23 years old come the fall and have 30-some goals at the college level under their belts. They need to deliver UNH, what they used to get all the time, a senior bump a la Austin Block (15 goals) or Nick Sorkin (20 goals).

At least two of, Kelleher (yes, he's a junior), Pierson and Crookshank need to deliver a sophomore/underclass breakout along the lines of what UNH used to get from guys like Trevor Smith (20 to 43 points) if not quite Jason Krog (20 to 67 points). They'll need to find a sixth-scoring forward - a Dan Correale type - who can ride shotgun in the top six (probably Fregona). Or add another top-end, forward recruit (my preference). Had BVR remained, he would have helped with, and added depth to, that search, but they have other options and the first-five are the real key to success for 2019-20.

The bottom six should be strong, capable defensively and on the forecheck, while give them enough scoring with Engaras, MacAdams, Esposito and Stevenson, etc. The defense and goaltending should be a strength. It all comes down to whether or not (and how much) the top talents produce...
                            Last edited by Dan; 05-01-2019, 04:43 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Snively

Elite forwards coming in over the next several years with pedigree is dynamic. I am not looking for Terry O'Reilly or Dave Schultz but a large body forward who will get through the blue line and open spaces for the goal scorers. We have quite a few small forwards getting hit hard in hockey east and it always helps to return the favor. Esposito will fit well on any of the 2nd to fourth line and MacAdam is also someone who opens lanes and is not afraid to go into the dirty zones. Pat Foley, Souza, Eddie Caron and many others in the late 90's to mid-00's that were 200+ pound players to slow down the opposition and protection was not meant to be a goon.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                                Snively

Elite forwards coming in over the next several years with pedigree is dynamic. I am not looking for Terry O'Reilly or Dave Schultz but a large body forward who will get through the blue line and open spaces for the goal scorers. We have quite a few small forwards getting hit hard in hockey east and it always helps to return the favor. Esposito will fit well on any of the 2nd to fourth line and MacAdam is also someone who opens lanes and is not afraid to go into the dirty zones. Pat Foley, Souza, Eddie Caron and many others in the late 90's to mid-00's that were 200+ pound players to slow down the opposition and protection was not meant to be a goon.
                                Or, someone like Warren Foegele; I am watching him mix up things in the corner right now.:-)

Comment

Working...
                                X