Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    We need quality players. I don't give a rat's ***** where they come from.

This doesn't have to be some hokey "Model UN" PC-driven exercise. Just quality players, playing winning hockey. Is this too much to ask for?

… just channeling my inner "Grouchy UNH Fan" this morning …
    Well, you can keep right on channellin', ya carpetbaggin' whippasnappah!! For chrissakes, of course we need EURO-MERCENARIES!! Problem is, Soooza dropped the ball on our first Swede so bad, that if my second grade teacher Sister Agnes McGillicuddy were still alive today, she would have smacked his knuckle's til they bled with an ALUMINUM ruler for NOT CROSSING HIS T'S AND DOTTING HIS I'S!! I hope for chrissakes he learned his lesson when he recruited Swede #2!! As for Tim Strudel or whatever his name his...he ain't comin' to Durham. And even if he did show up on campus, the NCAA geniuses would be so far up UNH's derriere, they'd set up a second headquarters in Durham. For the love of god Soooza - get in the car, take ride up 95N to Orono, buy Red a coffee at the local Aroma Joe's and LEARN how to recruit EURO-MERCENARIES the RIGHT way!!!

Hope all you dang hooligans have a nice summer. And for chrissakes....GIT OFF MY LAWN!!!
    I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
    AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Odds that Tim Stützle ever steps onto UNH campus is set at a 3% chance.
      Unfortunately, he's signed in Germany.

Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
      2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
      2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
      2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
        Unfortunately, he's signed in Germany.

Not suprised in the slightest. No way was he ending up at UNH if he is a projected top 10 NHL pick. Cale Makar aint walking through that door.

Comment

Well the Stutlze news is not surprising...and kudos for MS for recognizing the talent that is there. Guess it will give me a reason to check out the draft next year to see where he lands. Have to believe that what we are seeking is seeking us...that said, too bad even for one season it would've been amazing to have him at UNH...Just wish for once we'd catch a break with big players like that.
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-26-2019, 09:29 AM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Well the Stutlze news is not surprising...and kudos for MS for recognizing the talent that is there. Guess it will give me a reason to check out the draft next year to see where he lands. Have to believe that what we are seeking is seeking us...that said, too bad even for one season it would've been amazing to have him at UNH...Just wish for once we'd catch a break with big players like that.
            It reminds me of the Seinfeld bit where he shows up and the agency has no rental car for him...

Fan: You know how to take the commitment, you just don’t know how to HOLD the commitment. And that’s really the most important part of the commitment! (Waves arms around) Anyone can just TAKE them...

UNH: I know why we have commitments.

Fan: I don’t think you do! If you did we’d have Farabee, Commesso and Stutzle...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              It reminds me of the Seinfeld bit where he shows up and the agency has no rental car for him...

Fan: You know how to take the commitment, you just don’t know how to HOLD the commitment. And that’s really the most important part of the commitment! (Waves arms around) Anyone can just TAKE them...

Fan: I don’t think you do! If you did we’d have Farabee, Commesso and Stutzle...
              Well Dan...after losing these guys is hard...real program difference makers but what can you do? They want to play where they see their best path to the show is...now that said...we’ve had players who have made it to the show. So UNH can say that (as can many other programs).

Keeping the commitment when the big dollars are waving for any program today? I don’t know. Not trying to give us a pass as yes as that fan you speak of...I’m disappointed but feel we are up against a tidal wave that might have already passed us by and one that the present coaching staff is working to ride again. Different times now...? Please tell me how UNH can keep these few and far between big guns who aren’t going to play more than a year..or two?

But I guess the upside of that (big players coming in)is the program can attract other big guns who attract others once it starts. Still...you have to make a team of more than those players..I guess.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 06-26-2019, 11:54 AM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Well Dan...after losing these guys is hard...real program difference makers but what can you do? They want to play where they see their best path to the show is...now that said...we’ve had players who have made it to the show. So UNH can say that (as can many other programs).

Keeping the commitment when the big dollars are waving for any program today? I don’t know. Not trying to give us a pass as yes as that fan you speak of...I’m disappointed but feel we are up against a tidal wave that might have already passed us by and one that the present coaching staff is working to ride again. Different times now...? Please tell me how UNH can keep these few and far between big guns who aren’t going to play more than a year..or two?

But I guess the upside of that (big players coming in)is the program can attract other big guns who attract others once it starts. Still...you have to make a team of more than those players..I guess.

UNH is 100% off the radar of blue chip commits. Thats a fact. Now its a race with Maine and Merrimack for kids that get decommited because other programs dont have room for them. Its brutal once your program slides because its an extremely difficult road back. You need some luck and a team that makes a run to get back on the map. Umass got lucky with Cale Makar staying at Umass and Carvel has done a nice job but lets see if they can sustain the success post Makar-era - I think not. So how do you get relevant again? One angle was to jump on Europe prospects and as we learned with the Stutzle situation its tough to actually get them to show up on campus once they see dollar signs...so its back to late bloomers and decommits from other schools for now....
                Last edited by Lemonade; 06-26-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  UNH is 100% off the radar of blue chip commits. Thats a fact. Now its a race with Maine and Merrimack for kids that get decommited because other programs dont have room for them. Its brutal once your program slides because its an extremely difficult road back. You need some luck and a team that makes a run to get back on the map. Umass got lucky with Cale Makar staying at BU and Carvel has done a nice job but lets see if they can sustain the success post Makar-era - I think not. So how do you get relevant again? One angle was to jump on Europe prospects and as we learned with the Stutzle situation its tough to actually get them to show up on campus once they see dollar signs...so its back to late bloomers and decommits from other schools for now....
                  Pretty much agree with your assessment. And I think we are seeing MS and his guys working many different angles for players while keeping an eye on the 'local' talent if I can say that. When I started following college hockey Union became the powerhouse it was to win the NC. Who saw that coming? Now I confess I do not know their past win/loss situation, but wow, that was an excellent team with just the 'right amount of talent' to do it and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, they weren't filled with 'blue chip' players. Point being...and you made it in your post, that if the BC type of players aren't knocking on the door you have to go different avenues. I do get that and I think with time, I have full confidence UNH will get there. Everyone knows that things changed in college hockey a few years back, much more parity, players have tons of choices esp. the good ones. Dang, just get back to the Regionals for a start and this fan will be over the moon.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Pretty much agree with your assessment. And I think we are seeing MS and his guys working many different angles for players while keeping an eye on the 'local' talent if I can say that. When I started following college hockey Union became the powerhouse it was to win the NC. Who saw that coming? Now I confess I do not know their past win/loss situation, but wow, that was an excellent team with just the 'right amount of talent' to do it and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, they weren't filled with 'blue chip' players. Point being...and you made it in your post, that if the BC type of players aren't knocking on the door you have to go different avenues. I do get that and I think with time, I have full confidence UNH will get there. Everyone knows that things changed in college hockey a few years back, much more parity, players have tons of choices esp. the good ones. Dang, just get back to the Regionals for a start and this fan will be over the moon.

Parity is at an all time high so UNH does have going for it but it will need more than that. Union captured lighting in a bottle and so did Yale a few years ago so it does happen...rarely but it does happen.

Comment

Maybe Gildon and Maass will have only so-so camps, so maybe they will not get called up?

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyUNHer View Post
                        Well, you can keep right on channellin', ya carpetbaggin' whippasnappah!! For chrissakes, of course we need EURO-MERCENARIES!! Problem is, Soooza dropped the ball on our first Swede so bad, that if my second grade teacher Sister Agnes McGillicuddy were still alive today, she would have smacked his knuckle's til they bled with an ALUMINUM ruler for NOT CROSSING HIS T'S AND DOTTING HIS I'S!! I hope for chrissakes he learned his lesson when he recruited Swede #2!! As for Tim Strudel or whatever his name his...he ain't comin' to Durham. And even if he did show up on campus, the NCAA geniuses would be so far up UNH's derriere, they'd set up a second headquarters in Durham. For the love of god Soooza - get in the car, take ride up 95N to Orono, buy Red a coffee at the local Aroma Joe's and LEARN how to recruit EURO-MERCENARIES the RIGHT way!!!

Hope all you dang hooligans have a nice summer. And for chrissakes....GIT OFF MY LAWN!!!
                        I dunno GUNHer … but if I was heading up to the Downeast for a recruiting primer, I'd be looking for Grant, not Red. Good ol' GS knew how to find a stud in a cabbage patch.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

UNH Commit Alex Gagne (DOB: 8-26-02), a 6'3', 195 lbs. defenseman from Bedford, NH, played in the US Select 17 All-Star game and was named to the 2019 U.S. Under-18 Men's Select team. Drafted by Cedar Rapids RoughRiders in 14th round of 2019 USHL Draft and attended their camp in June. Feature article coming soon.
                          Defenseman Scott Morrow (uncommitted), son of former UNH star Scott Morrow, also played in the All-Star game but did not make the Under-18 Select Team.
                          Last edited by C-H-C; 07-01-2019, 08:18 PM.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            UNH Commit Alex Gagne (DOB: 8-26-02), a 6'3', 195 lbs. defenseman from Bedford, NH, played in the US Select 17 All-Star game and was named to the 2019 U.S. Under-18 Men's Select team. Drafted by Cedar Rapids RoughRiders in 14th round of 2019 USHL Draft and attended their camp in June. Feature article coming soon.
                            Defenseman Scott Morrow (uncommitted), son of former UNH star Scott Morrow, also played in the All-Star game but did not make the Under-18 Select Team.
                            Love learning this. Hope his journeys across the NCAA campuses doesn't turn his head. Also, you have to wonder on young Scott Morrow if we have been in contact?

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              Love learning this. Hope his journeys across the NCAA campuses doesn't turn his head. Also, you have to wonder on young Scott Morrow if we have been in contact?
                              It’s not the NTDP - it’s the annual select team, meaning he’ll play in the Hlinka Tournament. The Hlinka is a short U18 tournament that the US usually uses to send non-NTDP kids (mostly USHL players). So while a nice sign and accomplishment, it’s a different Team USA than the one that barnstorms colleges and churns out first rounders...

Perhaps the best takeaway from this is the probable indication that Gagne is ready to be a USHL regular THIS season in Cedar Rapids...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Perfect take on of the all-time best scenes.
                                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Working...
                                X