UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

The Jacksons aren't coming this year either, they and Griffin were all always scheduled for 2020. They did briefly push for NU to bring them in early and signed NLIs during that time, but eventually cooler heads prevailed and they ended up back in 2020 which is probably best for all involved, although I wouldn't have been upset if they came this year. I would have been if Griffin did.

I agree with the BvR trade though, I'm fine with it now. I have a feeling I'll be less fine with it in 4 years, but that's a problem for 2022.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
      From having tracked Griffin for NU I don't think penciling him into the top/middle six is even remotely a guarantee. He was not a top 20 point scorer in the NCDC, didn't have a double-digit goal scoring season above the U16 level, wasn't a top five scorer on his own team, and never played a USHL game. There's a reason NU didn't have him coming in this summer, I'm not even convinced he would have come next summer. Whatever NHL draft hype he once had has long since faded.
      It’s all relative - UNH and NU are I’m very different positions right now. If he gets tossed into a key role right away it will says as much about UNH’s offensive situation as it will about his present ability...

I’d expect him to start in a developmental role on the third line - with a chance to move up - and if UNH is hoping he can achieve his potential than they HAVE to nurture it in a top-9 role, in a position to be creative and produce. Even if he does share many of the questions of a lot of UNH recruits - goal-production, NCDC background, etc...

He, Fregona, Engaras or Stevenson are the best candidates to round out the top-six.

I doubt they move Engaras off the center position or Pierson/Blackburn to a wing right away. Stevenson only scored in the BCHL at 20 years old - and still less than what both Vela and Fregona put up in the league at 18. Fregona hasn’t scored much yet at UNH (or even been given the opportunity) though he can skate and has the skill - so, he’d be my choice but, whatever they decide, I think you can see the dilemma UNH has in filling out their top-two lines right now...
      Last edited by Dan; 05-04-2019, 04:55 PM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

JP Turner drafted 88th-overall (6th-round) by Sioux Falls in the USHL Phase I Draft...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Margel drafted 7th-overall in USHL Phase II Draft by Madison - Margel was already extremely likely to play in the USHL, but I guess it will not be in Sioux Falls (who must have lost his rights somehow). This is an important day for UNH's older commitments - after having just one of their younger prospects (JP Turner) picked up in the futures draft - will their older recruits receive the opportunity to move away from the East and develop/play/excel in the much more competitive USHL...?
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Stutzle - Rights previously held by Sioux City

USHL Phase II Draft
            Will Margel - 1/7 - Madison
            Trey Taylor - 4/52 - Tri-Cities (Brother of Ty Taylor)
            David Sacco - 5/64 - Waterloo
            Robert Cronin - 5/68 - Dubuque
            Aiden Curran - 6/84 - Cedar Rapids
            Liam Devlin - 7/107 Chicago
            Cy Leclerc - 8/117 - Cedar Rapids
            Jack Ring - 9/137 - Sioux City
            Morgan Winters - 11/157 - Green Bay
            Nick Cafarelli - 18/273 - Muskegon
            Last edited by Dan; 05-07-2019, 04:28 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

David Sacco, 5th Round, 64th Overall by Waterloo Black Hawks
              Robert Cronin, 5th Round, 68th Overall by Dubuque Fighting Saints
              Aidan Curran, 6th Round, 84th Overall by Cedar Rapids
              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Liam Devlin, 7th Round, 107th Overall, by Chicago

Comment

Cy LeClerc, 8th Round, 117th Overall by Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
                  Jack Ring, 9th Round, 137th Overall by Sioux City Musketeers
                  Last edited by C-H-C; 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Jack Ring - 9/137 - Sioux City
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Morgan WInters - 11/157 - Green Bay

Very good showing so far today - I hope they all STRONGLY consider pursuing the USHL option aggressively (including those who have already indicated they may want to stay East/in Prep School)...
                      Last edited by Dan; 05-07-2019, 01:53 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Very good showing so far today - I hope they all STRONGLY consider pursuing the USHL option aggressively (including those who have already indicated they may want to stay East/in Prep School)...
                        I don't. I want all my underclassmen refining their offensive skills and creativity rather than working on their griding games. A kid like Sacco should be the go-to guy at Lawrence rather than a third liner in Waterloo, Iowa. Even Cronin, I'd prefer the BCHL. I'm down on the USHL as a development league for 16 or 17 year olds. Take a look at the flamout rate for the top 16 year olds tendered.... too much AAA baseball, when most of the finishing work occurs in AA.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Nick Cafarelli - 18/273 - Muskegon
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            I don't. I want all my underclassmen refining their offensive skills and creativity rather than working on their griding games. A kid like Sacco should be the go-to guy at Lawrence rather than a third liner in Waterloo, Iowa. Even Cronin, I'd prefer the BCHL. I'm down on the USHL as a development league for 16 or 17 year olds. Take a look at the flamout rate for the top 16 year olds tendered.... too much AAA baseball, when most of the finishing work occurs in AA.
                            That's a fair point. But, when I say I would like to see these players strongly pursuing these options, I don't mean necessarily mean I want all of them playing in the league this season. I mean attending training camps and competing for roster spots and roles - seeing if they're ready and if there is a fit, pushing themselves. If they get the role that suits them, take it and run with it. Getting drafted is one thing - there is still a large step to even making these teams for some of these draft picks. If being drafted now means being in the league next year - thats OK, too...

If a kid like Cronin goes out there and gets buried, then I'm fine with him looking elsewhere. A number of players have competed in the USHL and moved on, mid-season, when it didn't work out. Cipollone, Chanter and Robinson are all examples. I also don't mind kids who are still true-prep level kids ending up back at the prep-schools, but I'd like to see them explore this option thoroughly. Is it better for them to be the man or is it better for them to challenge themselves at the highest levels of junior hockey. I suppose its different for everyone, but there are pros either way that should be explored. I'm not really worried about Cronin being the best player on his team - or failing to play on the first PP, score 30-goals, etc. I want him getting better. Playing in the USHL (and practicing in the league everyday) probably best develops the skills we want him to have when he gets to UNH - even if he only scores 15 goals, instead of 25 in the BCHL. Same with Curran. I have no desire to see him destroy the NCDC. It tells me nothing and it does little to improve his game for his arrival at UNH.

UNH needs kids who can compete and produce in the USHL if they want to be successful. They haven't had enough of those kids in years - as you've often pointed out with your top-40 benchmark. If UNH doesn't have offensive recruits who can score at the USHL level than I wouldn't expect them to do much scoring at the college level. If I'm UNH I want to know if these kids can produce at that level - at least in camps - because I need to get questions about a lot of these kids answered. If guys like Curran and Cronin can't make it in the USHL than that probably tells UNH they need to look for more offense. Even the BCHL (though I love the league and its a clear #2 on the junior hockey pecking order) can fool you with production - as in players like Vela or Fregona. A lot of the BCHL imports are in the BCHL for a reason - the best 'imports' are playing in the USHL)...

Meanwhile, a kid like Grasso pushed it in the USHL and scores just nine goals in each of his first two seasons - but goes off for 22 in his third season, scores 20 as a FR at UNH and is perhaps (barring injury) the most talented offensive upperclassmen on the roster despite those early struggles/grinds. Pierson grinded it out at UNH this season, passing on a chance to be the big dog in the USHL or BCHL. I think that pays off in spades moving forward...

So while there needs to be a balance in development and pushing oneself to the highest level I hope every opportunity is explored - either this summer or next (I'm not advocating for, say, Cy Leclerc to insist on moving to the USHL directly from Midgets at 16/17 - but it should be a goal of his to get to the USHL, and make an impact - hopefully by 17/18). Because if these are truly the players to turn UNH around, they wouldn't be buried in the USHL when their time to join the league comes. If they are - or they have to leave the league for other organizations - well, then...

---

* Stutzle is a lock for Sioux City
                            * Margle is a lock for Madison
                            * Cronin is ready for the challenge in Dubuque, IMO
                            * Curran should be in Cedar Rapids (or I will be concerned)

* Devlin & Sacco have both indicated they want to finish Prep-School (OK with me - but I do think they should explore the USHL option this summer)
                            * Ring, LeClerc, Winters & Cafarelli are likely a year away (but the USHL should be firmly on their radar - and a primary goal)
                            Last edited by Dan; 05-07-2019, 06:04 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

2019 USHL Phase I Draft
                              Turner - 6/88 - Sioux Falls

2019 USHL Phase II Draft
                              * Margel - 1/7 - Madison
                              Sacco - 5/64 - Waterloo
                              * Cronin - 5/68 - Dubuque
                              * Curran - 6/84 - Cedar Rapids
                              Devlin - 7/107 Chicago
                              Leclerc - 8/117 - Cedar Rapids
                              J. Ring - 9/137 - Sioux City
                              Winters - 11/157 - Green Bay
                              Cafarelli - 18/273 - Muskegon

* Id expect these players to play for the teams that drafted them. The rest we'll see. Some will have decisions to make. The last four picks are probably a year away...

---

Meanwhile...

Stutzle - Sioux City (USHL)
                              Ardanez - Vernon (BCHL)
                              Sweeney - Trail (BCHL)
                              Wazny - Maryland (NAHL)
                              Jones - Boston Bandits (NCDC)
                              N. Ring - U18?
                              Last edited by Dan; 05-07-2019, 06:05 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                Dead on Watcher. Sacco may be the best of the New England kids and he would probably succeed in the USHL. There seem to be more 20+ kids over the past decade in the USHL. We should try to find the sleepers in the USHL but probably best to be like the Sox stars of the future are in Portland and not Providence. Well done!

Comment

Working...
                                X