UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

The World Jr. A tournament which presents top junior hockey players from the US and Canada, will be held in mid December.

The USHL just announced their team last night. https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/s...93-2019-roster. No UNH recruits

Team Canada West has a tryout camp of 44 hopefulls. No UNH recruits, but Ty Taylor's brother is on the list.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/na...p/can-w-roster

Team Canada East has its tryout of 44 hopefulls. https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/na...p/can-e-roster
    No UNH recruits are on the list.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

Team Canada West has a tryout camp of 44 hopefulls. No UNH recruits, but Ty Taylor's brother is on the list.

Hopefully an easy win for the coaching staff to gain commitment, and bring brothers to the Wildcats. However, I'm curious about Ty's mindset for UNH and the program specifically. He rides a lot of pine behind a solid Robinson in net. Not sure the mental appeal is present for Ty regarding the coaching staff and UNH hockey. Hopefully he's a team player and wants what is best for the collective group. However, I'm sure it's difficult for any goalie to get minimal playing time. Therefore, I wonder how much of a referral Ty would actual be for his brother about advocating on behalf of the UNH hockey team. Hopefully Ty loves the program however, and would strongly encourage his brother to commit to the Wildcats if college hockey is in his future.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post
        Hopefully an easy win for the coaching staff to gain commitment, and bring brothers to the Wildcats. However, I'm curious about Ty's mindset for UNH and the program specifically. He rides a lot of pine behind a solid Robinson in net. Not sure the mental appeal is present for Ty regarding the coaching staff and UNH hockey. Hopefully he's a team player and wants what is best for the collective group. However, I'm sure it's difficult for any goalie to get minimal playing time. Therefore, I wonder how much of a referral Ty would actual be for his brother about advocating on behalf of the UNH hockey team. Hopefully Ty loves the program however, and would strongly encourage his brother to commit to the Wildcats if college hockey is in his future.
        Understand the feelings here but...how many (and I'm sure many of you who follow NCAA hockey might know this) NCAA back up goalies get a ton of playing time? How many games will UML's Tyler Wall or Maine'sJeremy Swayman sit? Not many I suspect. Ty Taylor has played more in my short tenure as a fan than any other back up UNH goalie. Perhaps he gets a start this weekend? Thoughts?
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Understand the feelings here but...how many (and I'm sure many of you who follow NCAA hockey might know this) NCAA back up goalies get a ton of playing time? How many games will UML's Tyler Wall or Maine'sJeremy Swayman sit? Not many I suspect. Ty Taylor has played more in my short tenure as a fan than any other back up UNH goalie. Perhaps he gets a start this weekend? Thoughts?
          I liked the Matt Carney - Mike Ayers tandem in 2001-2002.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I liked the Matt Carney - Mike Ayers tandem in 2001-2002.
            How much of a tandem was it? Hardly seen now? Yes?
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              How much of a tandem was it? Hardly seen now? Yes?
              Pretty much a pure rotation throughout the regular season, even through most of the postseason. They both had essentially identical stats that season. There was one scary regular season pair of games in Orono when Matt was unavailable after a concussion and Mike had his glove hand wrist slashed, but he got through the remainder the game, and the second one with the glove taped to his immobilized hand and wrist. I really thought that we were going to win it all that year.
              Last edited by Snively65; 11-20-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Pretty much a pure rotation throughout the regular season, even through most of the postseason. They both had essentially identical stats that season. There was one scary regular season pair of games in Orono when Matt was unavailable after a concussion and Mike had his glove hand wrist slashed, but he got through the remainder the game, and the second one with the glove taped to his immobilized hand and wrist. I really thought that we were going to win it all that year.
                Actually, Ayers left the game after his wrist got slashed by a skate, and UNH had to use their third-string goalie to finish the game (I can't remember his name, but I believe that he was from Lebanon, NH). Maine ended up winning the game I believe it was 6-2. Matt Carney didn't make the trip, but when he found out Ayers was hurt, he supposedly got into his car and was headed up to Orono. Those were the days before all of the current concussion protocols.
                UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                  Actually, Ayers left the game after his wrist got slashed by a skate, and UNH had to use their third-string goalie to finish the game (I can't remember his name, but I believe that he was from Lebanon, NH).
                  Tim Collins?

I MUCH preferred Ayers to Carney - but it does indicate how much more willing UNH was to rotate back in the 90’s and early 00’s. Starting with Cavicchi and Heinke, continuing to Matile and Conklin, Ayers and Carney and eventually Regan and Pietrasiak. Rotations seemingly became a lost strategy after Regan became an upper-classman.

The only true splits in games played since have been DeSmith starting as the back up then beating out Digi and Clark starting the first semester before Tirone took over second semester, but neither was a rotation as much as it was a switch in number one goalies...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    The World Jr. A tournament which presents top junior hockey players from the US and Canada, will be held in mid December.

The USHL just announced their team last night. https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/s...93-2019-roster. No UNH recruits

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/na...p/can-w-roster

Team Canada East has its tryout of 44 hopefulls. https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/na...p/can-e-roster
                    No UNH recruits are on the list.
                    Brandon Santa Juana to UConn. Ethan Scardina to Bowling Green. Levi Glassman to Colgate. Lots of potential Western Canada scoring targets committing recently...

Would think schools will be looking to move on guys like Taylor and Evans very soon - depending on each prospects personal timeline...

Not Western Canada - but another dream of immediate scoring died today with Ty Smilanic committing to Quinnipiac.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Actually, Ayers left the game after his wrist got slashed by a skate, and UNH had to use their third-string goalie to finish the game (I can't remember his name, but I believe that he was from Lebanon, NH). Maine ended up winning the game I believe it was 6-2. Matt Carney didn't make the trip, but when he found out Ayers was hurt, he supposedly got into his car and was headed up to Orono. Those were the days before all of the current concussion protocols.
                      If I recall correctly, slashed by his own roommate - Barker.
                      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Tim Collins?
                        Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                        If I recall correctly, slashed by his own roommate - Barker.
                        Yes and yes.
                        UNH

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post
                          Gildon has been logging huge ice time, given increased responsibility as he matured, and presumably handled with the proverbial kid gloves approach since he joined the program just over two years ago. But even the red carpet treatment didn't net UNH his kid brother, who IIRC went to Ohio State instead.

Not everyone is the Haydars, the vR's or the Kellehers, lining up to send all their siblings to Durham.

For a program still in search of its first (notable?) next-gen legacy player, the family thing isn't a given.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

I found the scores (6-3 loss and 2-2 tie), and not the boxes, although my recollection is that Ayers played the entire game 2 tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              I found the scores (6-3 loss and 2-2 tie), and not the boxes, although my recollection is that Ayers played the entire game 2 tie.
                              I was up there and saw the squirting blood in the crease. The third string goalie came in and the first shot was a goal and it went downhill from there. First and last game at Alfond Arena. Not a very hospitable venue for visiting fans, to say the least.

Comment

• Originally posted by msprice View Post
                                I was up there and saw the squirting blood in the crease. The third string goalie came in and the first shot was a goal and it went downhill from there. First and last game at Alfond Arena. Not a very hospitable venue for visiting fans, to say the least.
                                You left out that the game was delayed and he got medical treatment and came back after and made miraculous saves with that glove hand.

Not that night but after.

Comment

Working...
                                X