• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Made me think how much we will miss Max Gildon, whenever we play again.
      He'll be missed, for sure. Talented kid. But this was a 9th place team in Hockey East this season.

And Gildon was recently selected as a Third Team (as in 3rd pairing) defenseman on the All-HE team:

https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/art...star-teams.php

I don't remember Max rising to the occasion when the team needed him most down the stretch.

So I don't expect his absence - as opposed to the absence of more players like him - to be a big deal.

Very good D-1 player? No doubt, absolutely. I still think he has the tools to make it to The Show.

If UNH had Gildon back in '99 or in '03, he very well could have made the difference. His skills are conducive to the way those teams played, and those teams really could have used the added dynamic back-end play from a kid like Max. And it's hardly Gildon's fault that MS7 wasn't able to surround him with enough high-level talent to bring the absolute best out of him.

I think UNH will be OK without Gildon next season. But they need more "Gildons" - plural - make no mistake. In retrospect, UNH and Gildon seemed to be an odd match. His game seemed to match more with Northeastern's style of play, and too many of his UNH teammates seemed to be a stride or two too slow for his game. It will be interesting to see how Gildon fares in the AHL, when he's finally surrounded by like-kind talent. It can go either way for him - with the right mindset snd coaching, he might be another Brett Pesce … without those, be might be the next Blake Kessel. Time will tell.

But he gave UNH three seasons, at a time where there was a scarcity of truly big game excitement to lure him to stay longer, so (not that matters) he leaves UNH in my good graces.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Thing is...Gildon had many skills that his teammates, esp on the breakout, couldn't always work with. UNH has, since I've been following at least, struggled with the breakout. He could just skate it out period. I'm thinking that's going to be a huge loss. Now, I think we do have some decent dmen like Maass, Ericksonn, who have shown they too can do this, but, it's going to be an adjustment. Obviously Fla felt he was ready, so that's that. Good luck Max...thanks for giving it 3 years.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Thing is...Gildon had many skills that his teammates, esp on the breakout, couldn't always work with. UNH has, since I've been following at least, struggled with the breakout. He could just skate it out period. I'm thinking that's going to be a huge loss. Now, I think we do have some decent dmen like Maass, Ericksonn, who have shown they too can do this, but, it's going to be an adjustment. Obviously Fla felt he was ready, so that's that. Good luck Max...thanks for giving it 3 years.
          I'm with you on this one. Other players skated with increased confidence knowing he was back there.
          Last edited by Darius; 04-04-2020, 12:41 PM.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            He'll be missed, for sure. Talented kid. But this was a 9th place team in Hockey East this season.

And Gildon was recently selected as a Third Team (as in 3rd pairing) defenseman on the All-HE team:

https://hockeyeastonline.com/men/art...star-teams.php

I don't remember Max rising to the occasion when the team needed him most down the stretch.

So I don't expect his absence - as opposed to the absence of more players like him - to be a big deal.

Very good D-1 player? No doubt, absolutely. I still think he has the tools to make it to The Show.

If UNH had Gildon back in '99 or in '03, he very well could have made the difference. His skills are conducive to the way those teams played, and those teams really could have used the added dynamic back-end play from a kid like Max. And it's hardly Gildon's fault that MS7 wasn't able to surround him with enough high-level talent to bring the absolute best out of him.

I think UNH will be OK without Gildon next season. But they need more "Gildons" - plural - make no mistake. In retrospect, UNH and Gildon seemed to be an odd match. His game seemed to match more with Northeastern's style of play, and too many of his UNH teammates seemed to be a stride or two too slow for his game. It will be interesting to see how Gildon fares in the AHL, when he's finally surrounded by like-kind talent. It can go either way for him - with the right mindset snd coaching, he might be another Brett Pesce … without those, be might be the next Blake Kessel. Time will tell.

But he gave UNH three seasons, at a time where there was a scarcity of truly big game excitement to lure him to stay longer, so (not that matters) he leaves UNH in my good graces.
            I was taken aback a bit with the Third Team selection too! Wish him well in F LA!
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Comment

Very nice Mike. Looks like they are basically the same as earlier with Carson perhaps moving down (really up) a few slots.

Comment

Just as a quick PSA to those who were participating in the COVID-19 thread … it was apparently going so badly for the other side that they pulled it over to the Café. Weak move (to say the least), but I'm figuring that I'll have way more time to do other more productive things. My apologies for cluttering this thread, just figured I'd save some of you a few minutes of confusion Thursday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Just as a quick PSA to those who were participating in the COVID-19 thread … it was apparently going so badly for the other side that they pulled it over to the Café. Weak move (to say the least), but I'm figuring that I'll have way more time to do other more productive things. My apologies for cluttering this thread, just figured I'd save some of you a few minutes of confusion Thursday morning.
                    I saw that. There had been suggestions before that it be moved. My suspicion is that the name calling and personal attacks pushed it to the Café. It was fun for a while, filled the playoff posting void, was a microcosm of America and I'm done with it. More time to haunt the BU threads and get back to Ozark.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Fun following UVM thread, too, as apparently Sneddon did not get to pick his successor.

Comment

Originally posted by snively65 View Post
                        fun following uvm thread, too, as apparently sneddon did not get to pick his successor.
                        lol

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                            Good to hear that were finally backfilling the soon-to-be-opening slots at goaltender.
                            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              I saw that. There had been suggestions before that it be moved. My suspicion is that the name calling and personal attacks pushed it to the Café. It was fun for a while, filled the playoff posting void, was a microcosm of America and I'm done with it. More time to haunt the BU threads and get back to Ozark.
                              I have been hearing about Ozark! I think I'll try it out...Be well sir.
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                                Good to hear that were finally backfilling the soon-to-be-opening slots at goaltender.
                                Agreed. MS7 was probably getting fed up with all of my b!t@h!ng and moaning on the topic ...

Comment

Working...
                                X