Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Looking back on it myself alittle while back, I noted he was only 14 when he committed, which struck me as young (but I do not know a lot about the age most of these players verbally commit so there's that). Would have loved to have had him at UNH but wasn't meant to be ... )
    There's a huge gulf between the approach that initially saw UNH seek to commit Commesso as a 14 yr. old kid, and the approach 'Watcher outlined earlier, where "goalies are the one area where its best to wait", and aside from NHL first round types, "there's lots of 18-19 year olds out there". Maybe they projected Commesso as one of those NHL first rounders at the time? Not sure, maybe that's still the outlook? Or maybe it was just as a nod to the since-departed Buckley, simple as that?

But it just strikes me as inconsistent that once Commesso decommitted - for whatever reason - UNH hasn't since moved to fill his projected future roster slot. There's certainly no shortage of incomings (and in depth) everywhere else, up and down the depth chart, for years to come. Maybe they've assigned Conklin to be on the lookout for the "special one", whom ha can take under his wing and (as a past NHL goalie) show him the way forward might run through Durham? I hope that's the case, because otherwise I'm increasingly left to wonder if there's a "goalie plan" in place at all ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      There's a huge gulf between the approach that initially saw UNH seek to commit Commesso as a 14 yr. old kid, and the approach 'Watcher outlined earlier, where "goalies are the one area where its best to wait", and aside from NHL first round types, "there's lots of 18-19 year olds out there". Maybe they projected Commesso as one of those NHL first rounders at the time? Not sure, maybe that's still the outlook? Or maybe it was just as a nod to the since-departed Buckley, simple as that?

But it just strikes me as inconsistent that once Commesso decommitted - for whatever reason - UNH hasn't since moved to fill his projected future roster slot. There's certainly no shortage of incomings (and in depth) everywhere else, up and down the depth chart, for years to come. Maybe they've assigned Conklin to be on the lookout for the "special one", whom ha can take under his wing and (as a past NHL goalie) show him the way forward might run through Durham? I hope that's the case, because otherwise I'm increasingly left to wonder if there's a "goalie plan" in place at all ...
      Moving early on kids like Commesso, Stutzle and Farabee is proof that UNH can attract top talent if they’re aggressive (and first), and an absolute indication they should do more of it...

However, I fear that it not working out in these cases has given them the indication that it’s not worth it and they need to wait on ‘more predictable’ talent closer to college matriculation.

The failures prove they should be aggressive, but have they instead become cautious and deciding to take the opposite approach?
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Moving early on kids like Commesso, Stutzle and Farabee is proof that UNH can attract top talent if they’re aggressive (and first), and an absolute indication they should do more of it...

However, I fear that it not working out in these cases has given them the indication that it’s not worth it and they need to wait on ‘more predictable’ talent closer to college matriculation.

The failures prove they should be aggressive, but have they instead become cautious and deciding to take the opposite approach?

If anything they pegged Commesso, Stutzle and Farabee and got it right all three times and should be more aggressive as it showed they have an eye for talent. If you want UNH to break out of mediocrity they have to be more aggressive in recruiting although the new rules prohibit much of that which leaves UNH in the middle/lower tier of landing spots for recruits. Waiting for decommits (thats how they landed Gildon) is shaky at best way to recruit IMO. UNH is in a tough spot and thus stuck in neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
          If anything they pegged Commesso, Stutzle and Farabee and got it right all three times and should be more aggressive as it showed they have an eye for talent. If you want UNH to break out of mediocrity they have to be more aggressive in recruiting although the new rules prohibit much of that which leaves UNH in the middle/lower tier of landing spots for recruits. Waiting for decommits (thats how they landed Gildon) is shaky at best way to recruit IMO. UNH is in a tough spot and thus stuck in neutral.
          They could always just canvas Russia and Czech Republic and throw a parade when they get up 1 game over .500 like some other Hockey East programs!
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

So what 'new rules' are those, and, why couldn't UNH be in the hunt just like any other team? Agree just waiting for good players to fall into your lap isn't a good strategy and I'm sure they feel the same (or at least, I would hope). I guess my question is, how do these new rules prohibit UNH from 'being aggressive' when it comes to recruits..wouldn't these rules affect any other team? Sorry if this seems naïve..but I don't see your point. I'd like to think UNH can compete for any player...
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

So what 'new rules' are those, and, why couldn't UNH be in the hunt just like any other team? Agree just waiting for good players to fall into your lap isn't a good strategy and I'm sure they feel the same (or at least, I would hope). I guess my question is, how do these new rules prohibit UNH from 'being aggressive' when it comes to recruits..wouldn't these rules affect any other team? Sorry if this seems naïve..but I don't see your point. I'd like to think UNH can compete for any player...

Rule changes approved by the NCAA’s Division I Council today will significantly alter the recruiting timeline for Division I men’s hockey prospects with the goal of slowing down and improving the recruiting experience.

The changes restructure the timing of permissible recruiting activities, creating two starting points for various recruiting activities. The most impactful changes are:

Eliminating all recruiting conversations (whether initiated by the coach or the prospect) prior to Jan. 1 of a prospect’s sophomore (grade 10) year.
              Establishing Aug. 1 prior to a prospect’s junior (grade 11) year as the first date when NCAA coaches can make a verbal offer.

Essentially, its eliminating the real early recruits from verbally committing.

Comment

Thanks for this info C-H-C...I notice that Carson Richels is doing very well and will add some impact scoring hopefully! Where do you see him in our line up, and, what UNH players, past and present, does he emulate in your observations??
                Carsen Richels, 6'2 223 pound LW, great shot, questions about skating, ranked at #75
                https://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospec...Rank&year=2020

Eddie Caron, 6'2 223 pound LW, great shot, questions about skating, selected #52 overall
                https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/....php?pid=56787

Too soon?

Joking aside (though they have similar skills, and Caron should have done better but for him lacking hockey sense), the issue of how a larger winger can adjust to the college game is always an issue. Even highly rated kids like Jack McBain and David Cotton at BC take a while. Particularly where Richels is not quite a power winger who heads to the front of the net, but has a great shot but needs space to get his shot off, he will need someone who can find him in those spots.

As to the goalie question, Chuck, look no further than the BCHL rookie of the year, who probably will return to the league so be a 2021 recruit, he is available this "close" to the UNH need.
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-27-2020, 09:35 AM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Rule changes approved by the NCAA’s Division I Council today will significantly alter the recruiting timeline for Division I men’s hockey prospects with the goal of slowing down and improving the recruiting experience.

The changes restructure the timing of permissible recruiting activities, creating two starting points for various recruiting activities. The most impactful changes are:

Eliminating all recruiting conversations (whether initiated by the coach or the prospect) prior to Jan. 1 of a prospect’s sophomore (grade 10) year.
                  Establishing Aug. 1 prior to a prospect’s junior (grade 11) year as the first date when NCAA coaches can make a verbal offer.

Essentially, its eliminating the real early recruits from verbally committing.
                  Ok, I get there are these new restrictions on when a D1 coach can approach a potential recruit. Now you have to explain to me how/why UNH gets the brunt of this; the part where this leaves UNH in the middle of the pack/tier. Sorry to bore those of you who understand this stuff...still learning the recruiting ropes. Like I said...I'd like to think/hope that UNH has at least the equal shot on any of them. Surely...they know who these guys are.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Ok, I get there are these new restrictions on when a D1 coach can approach a potential recruit. Now you have to explain to me how/why UNH gets the brunt of this; the part where this leaves UNH in the middle of the pack/tier. Sorry to bore those of you who understand this stuff...still learning the recruiting ropes. Like I said...I'd like to think/hope that UNH has at least the equal shot on any of them. Surely...they know who these guys are.
                    With the old rules the premium blue chip kids were recruited early by the big time schools like the BU/BC's of the world. UNH really didnt have access to those types for the most part. The only advantage to this was that BU/BC commits kids early and they dont pan out which handcuffed them with numbers/scholarships. Now since the age of recruits are older it allow the BC/BU types more time to evaluate kids and take less risks and yet still land the blue chips. If a recruit has BU/BC knocking on the door at the same time as UNH.....odds are good they arent ending up in a UNH uniform.
                    Last edited by Lemonade; 02-27-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                      With the old rules the premium blue chip kids were recruited early by the big time schools like the BU/BC's of the world. UNH really didnt have access to those types for the most part. The only advantage to this was that BU/BC commits kids early and they dont pan out which handcuffed them with numbers/scholarships. Now since the age of recruits are older it allow the BC/BU types more time to evaluate kids and take less risks and yet still land the blue chips. If a recruit has BU/BC knocking on the door at the same time as UNH.....odds are good they are ending up in a UNH uniform.
                      You mean BU/BC uni...thanks for the explanation.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        The biggest factor is that it eliminates the opportunity to find kids before they’ve really hit the national radar and be their first offer. Now kids will end up with a lot of contact all at once and schools will all have time to discover and watch prospects develop before making decisions...

UNH, the school/program can certainly win these battles, but the staff will need to prove they can win head to head recruiting battles that they haven’t won yet...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

I meant - odds are good they arent ending up in a UNH uniform.....thanks for noticing my error.

Comment

Dan (and anyone else)

Just curious how you think this might effect college hockey in general and specifically UNH

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...fer-no-penalty
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              ...the issue of how a larger winger can adjust to the college game is always an issue. Even highly rated kids like Jack McBain and David Cotton at BC take a while. Particularly where Richels is not quite a power winger who heads to the front of the net, but has a great shot but needs space to get his shot off, he will need someone who can find him in those spots.
                              In his junior and senior seasons at Blaine (MN) High School, Carsen Richels' combined stats are 69 goals, including 16 power play goals, in 56 games. Most of his goals have come off the rush or on the power play. In the former situation, he created his own space by anticipating the rush and skating fast enough to beat the opposing defensemen into the offensive zone. In power play situations, he found the open space, in areas other than the front of the net, and got his accurate shot off. He should be a goal-scoring threat on the power play in his freshman season at UNH. Time will tell whether his hockey IQ plus speed are sufficient to score goals off the rush at the college level. It will be interesting to see if he can also add the JvR-bang aound in front of the net style of goals. He's currently 6'3", 210 lbs.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                                In his junior and senior seasons at Blaine (MN) High School, Carsen Richels' combined stats are 69 goals, including 16 power play goals, in 56 games. Most of his goals have come off the rush or on the power play. In the former situation, he created his own space by anticipating the rush and skating fast enough to beat the opposing defensemen into the offensive zone. In power play situations, he found the open space, in areas other than the front of the net, and got his accurate shot off. He should be a goal-scoring threat on the power play in his freshman season at UNH. Time will tell whether his hockey IQ plus speed are sufficient to score goals off the rush at the college level. It will be interesting to see if he can also add the JvR-bang aound in front of the net style of goals. He's currently 6'3", 210 lbs.
                                Am looking forward to seeing what Carson brings to the offensive table... seems like an extremely talented player! We need that net front presence...could be just what the 'Cats are looking for...
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X