X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
    Mike and Watcher

It seems we have a solid defensive core, and we should not underestimate our forwards. We have 3 bulls for the first time in a long time on offense. I believe we will see different lines than we would predict. Watcher, Your predictions are always pretty good and all of college hockey now has way too many players on the roster. It was 23-24 in the 90's and early 2000's and most teams are pushing up towards 28-30. I am optimistic for the future. Maybe more Europeans might help the long term cause. We almost always lost out to BC and BU, now Northeastern, Providence and Lowell seem to get the players we used to get. I have confidence in our coaching staff and they recruiting pretty well over the past few years.

Enjoy the off season
    !
    As if!!!! Not!!! Nope!!
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
      I am optimistic for the future.
      A positive outlook is always a plus. I would note, however, that your optimism of the 2015-2018 period was not matched by results.

We almost always lost out to BC and BU, now Northeastern, Providence and Lowell seem to get the players we used to get. I have confidence in our coaching staff and they recruiting pretty well over the past few years.
      So, we are losing out to at least five of the hockey east teams (i'd add U.Mass, U.Conn and to some extent Maine). Remind me again why you have confidence....
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

As an NU fan I’m bummed your season ended. I thought Yiu had a good club and were better than record showed. Hopefully next year is different.
        These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
          As an NU fan I’m bummed your season ended. I thought Yiu had a good club and were better than record showed. Hopefully next year is different.
          Thanks...you and me both. Good luck going forward v UMass...
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-09-2020, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            So, we are losing out to at least five of the hockey east teams (i'd add U.Mass, U.Conn and to some extent Maine). Remind me again why you have confidence....
            … plus UVM will be doing their own reboot, where they most certainly will be looking at the proverbial national search for the guy to replace Sneddon. So expect an upcoming bump in fortunes for the Catamounts, at least until their "new coach smell" wears off. The only other program we finished ahead of this season is still run by the guy who Umile ditched so he could install MS7.

FWIW why is it that after two years in total charge (and 5 years of buying his groceries), my impression of Coach Souza is starting to take shape as the "Seacoast Sneddon"?!? God I hope I'm wrong, but ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
              It seems we have a solid defensive core, and we should not underestimate our forwards. We have 3 bulls for the first time in a long time on offense. I am optimistic for the future. Maybe more Europeans might help the long term cause. We almost always lost out to BC and BU, now Northeastern, Providence and Lowell. I have confidence in our coaching staff and they recruiting pretty well over the past few years.
              First, who are the "three bulls.....on offense"?

I have always been in favor of adding some Finns. But, are our recruiters competent enough to determine whether Euro recruits will need to sit for a year-plus for NCAA rules violatuons, where we appear to be one for two recently?

I guess I simply do not see much improvement in recruiting the past 2-3 years, as without Gildon next season, it seems likely we are looking at a return to a losing record.

Comment

I'd be very interested in 1932's thoughts on whether Max Gildon will return for his senior year?

Conventional wisdom has him leaving … but that was the same thought at this time last year.
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Obviously not committed ..but, looks like a good prospect. I imagine we are all set forward wise? Be well all!

Comment

Comment

Yes Mike a great diversion. I have been surprised at how the jump has had Will lagging a bit behind what I had anticipated for scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                          Yes Mike a great diversion. I have been surprised at how the jump has had Will lagging a bit behind what I had anticipated for scoring.
                          In addition to the 8 goals and 22 assists Will Margel scored in 34 games with the Coquitlam Express (BCHL), he participated in 5 shootouts - and scored a shootout goal in each one. I believe the talent is there; time will tell if it translates to the college game.

Comment

That is very good news as that is a skill set that would be a great add next year. Kohei showed this in spades early on this season but by the time we got to the HE schedule they had enough film to keep it from happening quite as often. Still had the speed but they played back enough to force him wide. Angus has this ability too and an incredibly heavy shoot.
                            Ah October!

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              That is very good news as that is a skill set that would be a great add next year. Kohei showed this in spades early on this season but by the time we got to the HE schedule they had enough film to keep it from happening quite as often. Still had the speed but they played back enough to force him wide. Angus has this ability too and an incredibly heavy shoot.
                              Ah October!
                              Yep counting the days!! Still waiting on Gildon news...more players are signing etc this week imagine we will hear one way or the other. Wyse too..(but not Angus..hopefully!!!) Thanks ATW for keeping the hockey chat going as some of us get lost in this pandemic mess!!!

Comment

Ref, my best guess is 199 days since today is almost over. Half of eternity!

Comment

Working...
                                X