Jr.Margel--------So.Bakos--------So.Curran
    So.Devlin--------Sr.Herrmann----So.Cronin
    So.J.Ring-------Fr.Leclerc--------Sr.Hankinson
    ---Fr.Winters-------Jr.Sweeney

Jr.Ardanaz-----Sr.Eriksson
    Jr.Reid---------Fr.Carfagna
    So.Gagne------So.Penney
    Sr.McElhaney-----Jr.Nagle
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-23-2020, 06:33 PM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• With 18 F and 10 D - and a significant scholarship goalie still needed - for 2021-20 it’s hard to see where money for a (much needed) impact scorer like John Evans comes from...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          With 18 F and 10 D - and a significant scholarship goalie still needed - for 2021-20 it’s hard to see where money for a (much needed) impact scorer like John Evans comes from...
          They can't afford not to bring in an impact player (forward)...the program screams for one.
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            They can't afford not to bring in an impact player (forward)...the program screams for one.
            I agree - in fact I think more than one is needed - but those players are expensive and theyre already at 18 scholarships/29 players...

Is it possible that two fulls (or close to it) still remain for a #1 goalie and a high profile/productive scorer (or two)...?

We all need to hope so (without even taking into account whether they can actually, and finally, attract that type of scorer)...
            Last edited by Dan; 02-24-2020, 11:01 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              I agree - in fact I think more than one is needed - but those players are expensive and theyre already at 18 scholarships/29 players...

Is it possible that two fulls (or close to it) still remain for a #1 goalie and a high profile/productive scorer (or two)...?

We all need to hope so (without even taking into account whether they can actually, and finally, attract that type of scorer)...
              Welp, I'm hanging my hat on the fact that while he did not come...Tim Stutzle was a real possibility. There are others...I'd like to think that what we seek, seeks us. Now put a blue and white jersey on and make some history!!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                  Thanks for this info C-H-C...I notice that Carson Richels is doing very well and will add some impact scoring hopefully! Where do you see him in our line up, and, what UNH players, past and present, does he emulate in your observations??

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Thanks for this info C-H-C...I notice that Carson Richels is doing very well and will add some impact scoring hopefully! Where do you see him in our line up, and, what UNH players, past and present, does he emulate in your observations??
                    Carsen Richels is a left-shot, power forward who plays winger. He has a chance of being drafted in the middle rounds in the 2020 NHL Draft. He may remind some longtime fans of this guy:

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                      Carsen Richels is a left-shot, power forward who plays winger. He has a chance of being drafted in the middle rounds in the 2020 NHL Draft. He may remind some longtime fans of this guy:

Hobey winner (Krog), future Hobey runner-up (Haydar) and future head coach (MS7) all on one line.

Those were the days, my friend …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUsIYDcDo28
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Thanks. Serious questions, as I don't pretend to know the answers, Watcher …

Is what you state above a "UNH thing" or is it a more generally-held approach across the D-1 universe?

Did the Commesso experience change UNH's thinking and approach in this area (i.e. goalies)?

How does Souza conduct business in comparison to the Borek/Umile years (goalies or otherwise)?

From the position of someone who observes but admittedly doesn't delve into the recruiting world like you or C-H-C … it seems to me that Souza is more patient and picky than the Borek approach, which often seemed to be quantity over quality. But with the "patience" it would seem to me that you're more dependent upon decommits, finding diamonds in the rough, and coaching up those guys you do manage to bring onto campus. And blue chip finds continue to be few and far between.

Dan has always done a nice job of explaining the importance of having a "critical mass" of talent on hand, not just the odd Gildon, Kelleher or Crookshank around. And at this point, I'm not sure I see Souza getting any closer to the "critical mass" needed to get UNH to the next competitive level. I want to be optimistic, and I want Souza and his guys to succeed. But if I'm being honest, I'm not sure we're seeing that emerge … so far anyway. And with the decommits of the Commessos and Stutzles of the world - not to mention the Farabees and Foegeles etc. et als - it would seem Souza really needs to up his game soon, or we're going to be caught in terminal mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Tell me I'm wrong, please ...
                        Word on the street is that Commesso decommited because Mike Buckley left for the Penguins so I am not sure you can blame Commesso/Buckley or Souza for that. All parties did what was best for their own situation at the time. Keep in mind goalies care more about the goalie coach than the actual head coach and Buckley is one of the best in business and was coming off Stanley Cups working with Matt Murray....Buckley was a draw.

Comment

All-Rookie Team

F Greg Lapointe (Coquitlam Express): 56GP – 29G – 31A – 60PTS

Lapointe’s second appearance as an All-Star selection as he was also named to the Second-Team, the 18-year-old forward led all BCHL rookies in scoring last season with 29 goals and 60 points. Lapointe registered multiple points in 16 of his 56 games this year, including six where he had multiple goals. His most consistent stretch came in December and early January when he had 13 points over a nine-game point streak. Lapointe is committed to St. Lawrence University.

F Cody Monds (Victoria Grizzlies): 57GP – 22G – 37A – 59PTS

At over a point-per-game, Monds finished one point back of the rookie scoring lead with 59 points and his 37 assists were the most among all rookies. The Providence College commit also led the Grizzlies in scoring by a wide margin. Monds registered 25 of his points this year on the power play which also ties him for first among rookies. The Brockville, Ont. native put together a 10-game point streak in November and December and totaled 20 points over that stretch. It was the longest rookie streak this year. Monds’ highlight performance this year came in a Jan. 5 game where he put up two goals and two assists in a 4-3 win over the Surrey Eagles.

F John Evans (West Kelowna Warriors): 57GP – 22G – 28A – 50PTS

After playing in a handful of games as an affiliate with the Surrey Eagles last season, Evans arrived in the BCHL for good this year. The 17-year-old started the year with two points in his first 13 games, but quickly expanded his role on the team and began scoring like a top-tier forward. Evans had a point in 14 of his last 15 games and capped things off with a hat trick in his final game of the regular season, his second three-point effort of the year. Despite his slow start, Evans finished fourth in rookie scoring with 50 points and tied for third in goals with 22.

D Cooper Moore (Chilliwack Chiefs): 55GP – 12G – 21A – 33PTS

The product of Cos Cob, Conn. stepped into the BCHL this year and had a huge impact as one of the top defencemen in the league. Moore led all rookie defencemen with 12 goals on the season as well as power-play goals with seven. He also led the Chiefs in goals, assists and points from the blueline. Moore, who was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the fifth round of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft, is committed to the University of North Dakota next season.

D Nick Ardanaz (West Kelowna Warriors): 58GP – 4G – 28A – 32PTS

Ardanaz burst onto the scene this year as a 17-year-old with the Warriors and put together an impressive rookie campaign. He finished the season with 32 points, fourth-best among rookie defenceman, and his 28 assists were second-most for first-year blueliners. Ardanaz has enjoyed his fair share of on-ice success this year, but he was also recognized for his work off the ice and in the classroom as he was named the BCHL’s High School Player of the Month for December. The Langley, B.C. native has turned it on offensively over the back half of the season, registering 20 of his 32 points after the start of December. Ardanaz is committed to the University of New Hampshire.

G Logan Terness (Trail Smoke Eaters): 44GP – 27W – .932 SV% – 2.36 GAA – 1 SO

Another player appearing here a second time as he was also named to the Second-Team All-Stars, Terness led rookie goalies in nearly every major statistical category, including save percentage (.932), goals-against average (2.36) and wins (27). His marquee performance this season was his first-career BCHL shutout which he earned by making 28 saves in a victory over the Alberni Valley Bulldogs on Feb. 14.

NOTE: Rookie voting is limited to players born in 2001 or younger
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

I'm with Watcher on this, always have been:

F John Evans (West Kelowna Warriors): 57GP – 22G – 28A – 50PTS

After playing in a handful of games as an affiliate with the Surrey Eagles last season, Evans arrived in the BCHL for good this year. The 17-year-old started the year with two points in his first 13 games, but quickly expanded his role on the team and began scoring like a top-tier forward. Evans had a point in 14 of his last 15 games and capped things off with a hat trick in his final game of the regular season, his second three-point effort of the year. Despite his slow start, Evans finished fourth in rookie scoring with 50 points and tied for third in goals with 22.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                              Word on the street is that Commesso decommited because Mike Buckley left for the Penguins so I am not sure you can blame Commesso/Buckley or Souza for that. All parties did what was best for their own situation at the time. Keep in mind goalies care more about the goalie coach than the actual head coach and Buckley is one of the best in business and was coming off Stanley Cups working with Matt Murray....Buckley was a draw.
                              I remember all of this discussion. Looking back on it myself alittle while back, I noted he was only 14 when he committed, which struck me as young (but I do not know a lot about the age most of these players verbally commit so there's that). Would have loved to have had him at UNH but wasn't meant to be. We'll see him soon enough I suspect...in the scarlet BU red! (no offense any BU fans that read this if I have your color wrong...)

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend from Afar View Post
                                I'm with Watcher on this, always have been...
                                Everybody would love to see Evans commit to UNH. That’s not really a question. The question is does UNH have significant money left with 18 F, 10 D and a goalie already slated for 2021 and a significant need in the crease also existing...

The next question is can this staff win what is sure to be a highly competitive recruiting battle for a player of that caliber?

It’s not as simple as agreeing Evans is a fit...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X