UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Commits & Recruiting: 2019 and Beyond

In response to the question of scholarships and quantity vs quality, I remember it being reported around these parts (unofficially of course) that in the wake of Borek leaving UNH we had to sweeten the pot to keep some of the recruits that he committed from leaving. Would most of those players having graduated this past year or being seniors this year be leaving more room to divy up our 50% or less offers and carrying 2-3 extra players? I am liking the fact that we leave some space for some of these last minute decommits to pick up a player or two late in the game but that it is not the primary recruiting strategy.

I'm curious to see how the recruiting game continues on in the Souza era but the fact that we are committing some better players and they are being given a chance over lesser qualified but higher seniority players is a great start.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
      I'm curious to see how the recruiting game continues on in the Souza era but the fact that we are committing some better players and they are being given a chance over lesser qualified but higher seniority players is a great start.
      Totally agreed. If you're good enough, you're old enough.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Mike it would certainly be great to have 3 go in this years draft. Hope David's 178 isn't too high to get him in. While not the definitive answer having draft picks always makes you feel like recruiting is on a solid track. Thanks for the update.
          Go Cat!

Comment

"UNH Commit Damien Carfagna: A Fleet-Footed, Smart Defenseman"
            Includes interview, video highlights, scouting reports and stats.

Comment

"UNH Commits Update 1-24-20: Spotlight on NHL Draft Prospects"
              Includes NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings for Carsen Richels, Luke Reid & David Sacco, plus video highlights.

Comment

Remember, games are won three season ahead by recruiting. So if Souza can't land Evans, and didn't spend this off week camped in Kelowna with a plane ticket for him, then the season is a loss.
                https://bchl.ca/stats/player/5588/40/john-evans

2020-21
                Jr.Crookshank---Jr.Pierson---------Sr.Kelleher
                Fr.Richels--------Jr.Engaras -------Sr.Grasso
                Sr.Sato-----------So.Stevenson----Sr.MacAdams
                Fr.Margel---------Fr.Cafarelli-------Sr.Esposito
                Jr.Cipollone------So.Herrmann-----Sr.Sacco
                Fr.Sweeney------So.Hankinson

Sr.Maass---------So.Eriksson
                Jr.MacKinnon----Fr.Reid
                Fr.Ardanaz-------Jr.Verrier
                So.McElhaney----Jr.Hickey

2021-22
                Sr.Crookshank--Sr.Pierson------Sr.Engaras
                So.Richels-------Jr.Stevenson-----So.Cafarelli
                Sr.Esposito------So.Margel--------Fr.D.Sacco
                Fr.Devlin---------Fr.Bakos-------Fr.Cronin
                Sr.Cipollone----Jr.Herrmann-------Fr.Curran
                Fr.J.Ring-------So.Sweeney-------Jr.Hankinson

Jr.Eriksson--------So.Ardanaz
                Sr.MacKinnon-----So.Reid
                Sr.Verrier----------Fr.Gagne
                Jr.McElhaney------Fr.________
                Sr.Hickey

2022-23
                Jr.Richels------Sr.Stevenson---Jr.Cafarelli
                -------Fr.Turner--------So.D.Sacco
                Jr.Margel--------So.Bakos--------So.Curran
                So.Devlin--------Sr.Herrmann----So.Cronin
                So.J.Ring-------Fr.Leclerc--------Sr.Hankinson
                ---Fr.Winters-------Jr.Sweeney

Jr.Ardanaz-----Sr.Eriksson
                So.______------Jr.Reid
                So.Gagne-----Fr.Carfagna
                Fr._______----Sr.McElhaney
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Always appreciate the recruiting outlook grid, 'Watcher … but why do you usually not include goalies?

At least one of our three will be leaving soon (possibly two), and all three will be gone in two years ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Always appreciate the recruiting outlook grid, 'Watcher … but why do you usually not include goalies?

At least one of our three will be leaving soon (possibly two), and all three will be gone in two years ...
                    Joe Lazzaro was a good goalie at Berwick Academy and Phillips Exeter Academy. He came to UNH as the third goalie without an athletic scholarship. Although Robinson and Taylor are both NHL draft picks, I do not think either will turn pro before they graduate. I expect UNH will bring in a third goalie next season with credentials similar to Lazzaro's and will get a verbal commitment from a goalie with NHL potential. This goalie would come in as a freshman when Taylor is a senior.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                      Joe Lazzaro was a good goalie at Berwick Academy and Phillips Exeter Academy. He came to UNH as the third goalie without an athletic scholarship. Although Robinson and Taylor are both NHL draft picks, I do not think either will turn pro before they graduate. I expect UNH will bring in a third goalie next season with credentials similar to Lazzaro's and will get a verbal commitment from a goalie with NHL potential. This goalie would come in as a freshman when Taylor is a senior.
                      Thanks Mike - appreciate the insight. Not so worried about who's going to be the 3rd goalie, but with the deep recruiting being done for the other positions, it strikes me that UNH seems to be approaching goalie as almost an afterthought? Commesso was a big thing with program projections, years ahead of his anticipated matriculation, and decommitted two-and-a-half years ago, later committing to BU (starting next Fall, I believe). Ty Taylor looks to have been recruited a few months later, 2 years ago ...

https://www.themackreport.com/colleg...mits-from-unh/

https://unhhockeyblog.blogspot.com/2...ommits-to.html

I don't think there's been any discussion since then about who's next in UNH's plans in goal - especially with Robinson only one year (max) left, and Taylor already at the halfway point in his career. We went from having goalie sewn up through circa 2024, to now looking at an empty cupboard for starter-caliber goalies by 2022. In the meantime, 'Watcher has projected forwards and defensemen - three lines and pairings worth - through at least 2023.

I don't pretend to know if it's a "goalie thing" or a "UNH thing", but it does seem a curious disconnect ...

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                        Considering that UNH goalies are 53rd (out of 60 teams) in save percentage I would say that is a safe bet.

Looking a bit deeper at UNH goaltending stats and comparing to those from say 2 or 3 seasons ago its a wonder Chuck isn't taking a victory lap
                        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                          Considering that UNH goalies are 53rd (out of 60 teams) in save percentage I would say that is a safe bet.

Looking a bit deeper at UNH goaltending stats and comparing to those from say 2 or 3 seasons ago its a wonder Chuck isn't taking a victory lap
                          Admitedly some of that is on the guys in front of you, but 53rd??!! That's gawdawful!!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            Admitedly some of that is on the guys in front of you, but 53rd??!! That's gawdawful!!
                            I think it's safe to say "the guys in front of you" this year are the best crew UNH has had since Tirone's abbreviated frosh season. Still rooting for Robinson/Taylor to come good this season (and next), there will be no "victory lap" until the dust has settled, and I'd be happy to "eat crow" if it meant UNH came up with a great finish this season, and a great season next year.

But as things stand today, yeah, Tirone isn't looking half-bad by comparison FWIW.

I'm only on this thread to figure out what comes next after Robinson/Taylor in two plus years … and I guess I'm concerned that two-and-a-half years after the Commesso de-commit, his slot for the UNH goalie recruiting matrix still really hasn't been filled. Seems a most curious omission ...

Comment

Goalies are the one area where its best to wait. Aside from NHL first rounders Knight, Oetinger, etc., there's lots of 18-19 year olds out there.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                Goalies are the one area where its best to wait. Aside from NHL first rounders Knight, Oetinger, etc., there's lots of 18-19 year olds out there.
                                Thanks. Serious questions, as I don't pretend to know the answers, Watcher …

Is what you state above a "UNH thing" or is it a more generally-held approach across the D-1 universe?

Did the Commesso experience change UNH's thinking and approach in this area (i.e. goalies)?

How does Souza conduct business in comparison to the Borek/Umile years (goalies or otherwise)?

From the position of someone who observes but admittedly doesn't delve into the recruiting world like you or C-H-C … it seems to me that Souza is more patient and picky than the Borek approach, which often seemed to be quantity over quality. But with the "patience" it would seem to me that you're more dependent upon decommits, finding diamonds in the rough, and coaching up those guys you do manage to bring onto campus. And blue chip finds continue to be few and far between.

Dan has always done a nice job of explaining the importance of having a "critical mass" of talent on hand, not just the odd Gildon, Kelleher or Crookshank around. And at this point, I'm not sure I see Souza getting any closer to the "critical mass" needed to get UNH to the next competitive level. I want to be optimistic, and I want Souza and his guys to succeed. But if I'm being honest, I'm not sure we're seeing that emerge … so far anyway. And with the decommits of the Commessos and Stutzles of the world - not to mention the Farabees and Foegeles etc. et als - it would seem Souza really needs to up his game soon, or we're going to be caught in terminal mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Tell me I'm wrong, please ...

Comment

Working...
                                X