Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    in addition to Benson's efforts what is also impressive is Kepler's 60,865 posts...is that # correct?
    Correct, check out Ralph Baer on RPI's thread, over 195,000 posts.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Cockrell’s only played in 7 games all year.

Comment

Wasn't he hurt for most of the year ?
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

only played in 7 games and has been out since November...it's a loss, no question...don't know if it's a concussion protocol or what...I do read Ralph Baer quite frequently...he has knowledge and, as we all know from Faber College, "knowledge is good."

Comment

I have no idea who receives these emailed game reports, which just started a couple of weekends ago, but I really enjoy them (especially the quotes).
            Here is the Friday report...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
            Friday, Jan. 25, 2018
            jjorgensen@colgate.edu

Rivalry Renewed Against Cornell
            Men’s Hockey Unveils Bicentennial Jerseys, Falls in 3-2 Final

HAMILTON – Bicentennial jerseys celebrating Colgate at 200 Years highlighted the men’s hockey series opener against No. 11/12 Cornell on Friday night. Before a crowd of 2,121 at Class of 1965 Arena, the Raiders strived for a third period comeback but fell short in a 3-2 final to the in-state rival.

The Raiders faced an upward battle as Cornell gained a lead just 1:11 after the drop of the puck. Although it was the most evenly matched period of the night, the Big Red completed the first stanza with a 2-0 lead. The momentum carried over for Cornell into the second but before the end of the period, Bobby McMann was ready to put Colgate within one with his third goal of the season.

Colgate returned for the third period with a renewed energy with which they dominated play. On its way to earning a game-high of scoring chances, the Raiders held Cornell to just two shots on goal in the third period as they searched to break the tie. A penalty proved detrimental when Cornell scored on the power play in the final 10:00 of regulation, which stood as the game winner for a 3-2 final in the opening game of the home-and-home series.

COLGATE SCORING PLAYS
            • Period 2 | 05:35 – After a feed from the top of the faceoff circle by John Snodgrass, forward Bobby McMann made a move through the feet to avoid a Cornell defender and score from the opposite hashmarks to the top shelf for a one-goal game.
            • Period 3 | 06:14 – Although the Cornell netminder was able to make the initial save on Willie Brooks’ shot from the slot, the Raiders capitalized on the out-of-position goalie as Josh McKechney was ready to punch in the rebound from the edge of the crease and tie the game at 2-2.

STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
            • With the Raiders opening goal, junior Bobby McMann notched his sixth of the season. His goal was followed up with an assist on the tying goal for his fourth multi-point night on the season.
            • By notching the tying goal, sophomore Josh McKechney earned his third tally of the year and first since a power play goal at Dartmouth (Dec. 1).
            • Now on a two-game point streak, senior Willie Brooks followed up his goal against Harvard (Jan. 19) with an assist on McKechney’s goal for his first point streak of the season.
            • Colgate held its opponent scoreless on the power play for the 10th time this season and are now 2-6-2 when doing so.
            • Freshman goaltender Mitch Benson marked 20 saves against the in-state rival, which included a game-high of 12 in the second period.
            • As they strived for their comeback the Raiders held Cornell to just two shots on goal in the third period of play. It marks the fewest shots on goal allowed in a period this season.
            • Defensively, senior captain Ken Citron accounted for four of Colgate’s eight blocked shots. His four-block effort marks his second-best of the season behind a six-blocked shot game against Ohio State (Nov. 10).
            • In addition to notching an assist, junior John Snodgrass led the Colgate squad with McMann by earning a plus-2 rating on the night.
            • Wrapping up the apple picking was fellow junior Tyler Penner as he earned an assist on McMann’s goal. It marks Penner’s first point since scoring at Princeton (Jan. 5).

THE BOTTOM LINE
            • No. 11/12 Cornell 3, Colgate 2

RECORD UPDATES
            • Colgate holds a 6-15-2 record, and a 3-6-2 mark in ECAC Hockey action.
            • Cornell is 12-5-1 overall on the season, and is 8-2-1 in ECAC play.

Comment

Here is the Saturday report...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
              Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019
              jjorgensen@colgate.edu

Raiders Snap Cornell’s Streak with Overtime Victory
              Snodgrass’ Overtime Goal Lifts Colgate Past No. 11/12 Cornell for 3-2 Win

ITHACA, N.Y. – The Colgate men’s hockey program headed to Lynah Rink on Saturday evening searching for redemption against No. 11/12 Cornell and came out victorious with a 3-2 overtime win. Behind a 41-save performance by goaltender Mitch Benson and a two-goal game from John Snodgrass, the Raiders snapped Cornell’s eight-game unbeaten streak.

The series finale of the home-and-home matchup began with a ceremonial puck drop with kids of Camp Good Days, a program for children and families affected by cancer. Six children were honorary captains for the game and received autographed jerseys from both the Cornell and Colgate teams.

For the second night in a row, Cornell was able to gain an early advantage when it scored just 2:00 after the drop of the puck. The remainder of the period was all Colgate’s game as freshman goaltender Mitch Benson made several spectacular saves to keep the Raiders within one.

The efforts of Colgate’s strong opening period finally paid off seconds before the horn when junior John Snodgrass tied the game with just 4.5 on the clock. When the pair of conference foes skated out for the second period, Colgate was determined to not allow another quick Cornell start as junior Paul Meyer lifted the Raiders to their first lead of the weekend just 15 seconds into the second period, prompting a Cornell goalie change.

The remainder of the second stanza shifted a defensive test for Mitch Benson as he made 17 saves so as the Raiders could carry their 2-1 lead into the third. When Colgate faced 1:24 of a 5-on-3 penalty kill, the freshman netminder continued to flash his glove for the Raiders as they returned to full strength with no damage done. With his performance in the crease, Benson and the Raiders were then able to head into the third period with a 2-1 lead over the nationally-ranked opponent.

Hungry for more, two of Colgate’s best scoring chances in the third period came from Snodgrass on breakaways. Midway through, the Eagan, Minnesota, native punched the puck past the blueliners for a breakaway but it was stifled at the last second by Cornell’s netminder. Snodgrass stood out yet again in regulation when a banked pass from the Colgate blue line was picked up entering the Cornell zone and he skated it up for a solo spin move at the crease.

When the crowd began to watch the clock as the minutes waned on regulation, a cross pass was tipped under the pads of Benson with just 6:18 remaining. After challenging the call for offsides, it was ruled a fair goal as the Big Red tied the game at 2-2 to force overtime.

The late goal fueled a strong start to the overtime session for Cornell, but the determined Raider offense struck when it mattered most. A move at center ice by Josh McKechney pushed the puck into the Cornell zone, before a rebound by Snodgrass solidified the overtime victory and Raiders rushed the ice to celebrate the 3-2 win.

COLGATE SCORING PLAYS
              • Period 1 | 19:56 – As Cornell looked to dump the puck in the final seconds of the opening period, Bobby McMann was able to keep in within the blue line and serve it up to John Snodgrass. His top shelf snipe helped the Raiders close out the period with a clean 1-1 slate against Cornell.
              • Period 2 | 00:15 – Catching Cornell again attempting to toss the puck out of the zone, Paul Meyer clipped the puck from the blue line. A quick shot through minimal traffic found the top shelf for Colgate’s 2-1 lead.
              • Overtime | 3:48 – After Cornell opened the overtime session with a flurry of scoring chances, an offensive drive led by Josh McKechney brought the puck back to the Big Red zone. McKechney’s initial shot was stopped by Cornell’s netminder before Snodgrass was ready at the edge of the crease to sink the puck in on the rebound for the overtime winner.

STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
              • Earning his first career multi-goal game junior John Snodgrass tallied both the tying goal and overtime game-winner. The goals mark his second and third goals of the season, respectively, and his first goals since a 4-3 win at Princeton (Jan. 5). It is also his sixth multi-point night in his three seasons.
              • In earning a pair of assists on Colgate’s first two goals on the night junior Bobby McMann now holds 11 points in the last 12 games by three goals and eight assists. The effort marks his second consecutive multipoint night and team-leading fifth of the season.
              • In notching Colgate’s go-ahead goal early in the second period, junior Paul Meyer notched his first goal of the season and fourth of his career. It marks the defenseman’s first goal since playing Brown on Feb. 17, 2018.
              • Freshman goaltender Mitch Benson tied his career-high of 41 saves against Ohio State (Nov. 9, 2018). His performance against Cornell included a game-high of 17 saves in the second period as well as three critical saves in the overtime session.
              • With an assist on the overtime game-winner senior Willie Brooks extends to a season-best three-game point streak. Josh McKechney, McMann and Snodgrass are now all on a two-game point streaks.
              • The Raiders held their opponent scoreless on the power play for the 11th time this season and for the second consecutive game.
              • Colgate is now 3-0-0 when leading after two periods this season, as well as 2-0-2 in overtime games.
              • In addition to it being Colgate’s first win over Cornell since Feb. 8, 2014, the win marks the Raiders first win in Ithaca since Jan. 27, 2012.
              • The victory snaps Colgate’s five-game losing streak as well as Cornell’s eight-game unbeaten streak.
              • With the Big Red holding the No. 11/12 spots in the national polls, it marks Colgate’s third victory over a ranked opponent this season.

THE BOTTOM LINE
              • Colgate 3, No. 11/12 Cornell 2 – Overtime

RECORD UPDATES
              • Colgate holds a 7-15-2 record, and a 4-6-2 mark in ECAC Hockey action.
              • Cornell is 12-6-1 overall on the season, and is 8-3-1 in ECAC play.

COACH VAUGHAN’S TAKE
              “We gave one up early again but our guys kept battling. The goal at the end of the period with a few seconds left was really big and we went to the locker room feeling pretty good about ourselves. Then to come back for the second and take a lead is really important, especially in this building. Our guys worked really hard and had to put a little extra effort just to get the tying goal.

“I was really proud of our effort. Obviously our goaltender was great tonight. You hear the saying that your goalie needs to be your best penalty killer and he clearly was that tonight. We killed off a long 5-on-3 and I’m just really happy for the guys. We played well last night but came up a little bit short. To come to this building against a top-ranked team in the country and do what we did is pretty special for our guys.

“Paul Meyer played really well tonight. He scored a goal, but it was much more than that. Josh McKechney’s line [with McMann and Snodgrass] is playing really well right now and they’re generating a lot of opportunities for us.”

On Snodgrass’ overtime winner: “That’s how Snodgrass gets his goals; we call that his office and he was ready to bang away at it. McKechney made a great play to get the puck to the net and we found a way to get a win in a tough building and it’s a great confidence booster for us. There’s a lot of hockey left and it’s the ECAC so anything can happen.”

WHAT MITCH BENSON SAYS
              “Starting off the second period with that goal was huge. Right off the bat like that, it silenced the crowd a bit and got our bench fired up. I’m really happy for our seniors that we were able to get this win and it’s a good thing to propel us forward.”

On the long 5-on-3 penalty kill: “I wasn’t really thinking about it and was just focused on killing it off. I was taking it 30 seconds at a time and just trying to make as many saves as possible.”

UP NEXT
              Colgate returns to the road next weekend when it travels to RPI and Union for continued ECAC play Feb. 1-2. Class of 1965 Arena will be packed once again for men’s hockey on Feb. 8-9 when the Raiders host St. Lawrence and Clarkson.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                only played in 7 games and has been out since November...it's a loss, no question...don't know if it's a concussion protocol or what...I do read Ralph Baer quite frequently...he has knowledge and, as we all know from Faber College, "knowledge is good."
                If he's been out since November, we're beyond protocol.

Impressive on the split. Just like the NY Lotto says, "Hey, you never know."

BTW, it's not that tough to run up the post count. Just start some score threads.

Comment

I'll admit, I wasn't "pumped up" for the home-and-home vs. Cornell this past weekend. I stayed away from Twitter and this message board until now. Really bummed we lost in front of the home crowd and went 0-5 in a FIVE game homestand, but THRILLED we beat the Big Red in their own barn in overtime, earning a split against our travel partners. Someone on this thread said "maybe we'll lose Friday but win at Lynah" - that was a spot on prediction! With the win, we've now earned at least one regular season road win vs. every one of our ECAC opponents since January 2015.

Now can we use Saturday's win as a "launching pad" for the remainder of the regular season and playoffs?
                  Colgate '09

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                    Maybe Cockrell’s on double secret probation

Comment

I heard a rumor Friday night at Colgate that Jared Cockrell may be done playing hockey, due to multiple concussions.
                      I have no idea if it is true or not, but it does bring up the very serious issue of sports-related concussions.
                      This from completeconcussions.com, dated December 5, 2018.

Concussion vs. other injuries:
                      Boys' ice hockey: 23%
                      Girls' lacrosse: 21%
                      Cheerleading: 20%
                      Boys' lacrosse: 17%
                      Football: 17%
                      Girls' soccer: 15%

Comment

That’s too bad if it’s true. I shouldn’t have joked about it.

Comment

Flag Dude Number 8... You seem to be knowledgeable about college hockey scheduling, so I will ask you...
                          I am planning to follow Colgate to the Friendship Four tourney in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in late November. If I am going there, then I am also thinking that I would like to take more time and travel a little (probably to Dublin, Ireland). My Q to U... is it more likely that Colgate will take the previous weekend off from hockey, or the following weekend. Or do they not typically take weekends off before/after? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                            Flag Dude Number 8... You seem to be knowledgeable about college hockey scheduling, so I will ask you...
                            I am planning to follow Colgate to the Friendship Four tourney in Belfast, Northern Ireland, in late November. If I am going there, then I am also thinking that I would like to take more time and travel a little (probably to Dublin, Ireland). My Q to U... is it more likely that Colgate will take the previous weekend off from hockey, or the following weekend. Or do they not typically take weekends off before/after? Thanks.
                            It isn't a league policy to give a team the week off before and/or after the Friendship Four. Remember there are NCAA rules that mandate how much time you may stay in the city of the venue before and after the game series, owing to the need to be in class. As an example, in 2016-17, SLU had league games the week before and after the Friendship Four.

In fact, given the non-travel-partner league schedule for 2019-20 is available courtesy of a post on eLynah, Colgate is scheduled to have league games the weekends both before (PU/QU) and after (DC/HU) the Thanksgiving weekend.

Just out of curiosity, who are the other teams doing the Friendship Four next year?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              Just out of curiosity, who are the other teams doing the Friendship Four next year?
                              Colgate, Princeton, UNH, and Northeastern: https://www.uscho.com/2018/04/18/fri...and-princeton/

I'll be livid if we have to give up a league home game AGAIN! The league block schedule for 2019-20 posted on eLynah shows 'Gate hosting Princeton and Quinnipiac, in that order, the weekend before, then traveling to Princeton and Quinnipiac, again in that order. The order you play a travel partner pair in the ECAC is reversed the second time you play them in a season with respect to the first encounter with that pair. Which doesn't give me a good feeling...
                              Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
                                Colgate, Princeton, UNH, and Northeastern: https://www.uscho.com/2018/04/18/fri...and-princeton/

I'll be livid if we have to give up a league home game AGAIN! The league block schedule for 2019-20 posted on eLynah shows 'Gate hosting Princeton and Quinnipiac, in that order, the weekend before, then traveling to Princeton and Quinnipiac, again in that order. The order you play a travel partner pair in the ECAC is reversed the second time you play them in a season with respect to the first encounter with that pair. Which doesn't give me a good feeling...
                                The ECAC stopped requiring giving up a home game a couple years ago. RPI/CCT was a non-con game last season, as was Union/Yale this season. Do not be surprised if this is a 3rd game vs. Princeton.

For the sake of completeness, HEA still uses the prelim as a conference game.

Comment

Working...
                                X