Colgate 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

This can’t be the same team as last week.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
      No bad weather. In fact, I am staying in a hotel north of Syracuse this weekend and it has been easy driving to/from each game.
      Just don't try it in a snowstorm, because it isn't that fun.

Comment

Colgate 26, UMass Lowell 16, final SOG.
        UMass Lowell 4, Colgate 1, final score.
        We played well in the third period; didn’t give up.
        Turns out it was a three-period game, though.

Comment

The last five minutes was a good performance. Too little too late, but a small positive from the day

Comment

we finish our out-of-conference record at 3-9-0, losing 9 of the last ten...in those 10 games we scored exactly SEVEN GD goals...BTW, do we EVER try to take advantage of an odd man rush while killing a penalty? Nope. Can ANY of our Defensemen shoot the puck when it is moving? Nope...one thing we can do: lower every other teams' Pairwise Ranking in the ECAC...gee, the last five minutes was good...we played well in the third period...enough already...I've sat through 12+ years of this BS...we have one really good player on this team, that's about it...

Comment

Is it any wonder our attendance is lousy? In 10 home games we’ve only won 3, scored just 11 goals and been shut out 4 times (tonight was almost number 5). I know Lowell’s a pretty good team that has a shot at the NCAAs. But I’m very disappointed that we can’t get at least a split on home ice. Especially after what we did last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                we finish our out-of-conference record at 3-9-0, losing 9 of the last ten...in those 10 games we scored exactly SEVEN GD goals...BTW, do we EVER try to take advantage of an odd man rush while killing a penalty? Nope. Can ANY of our Defensemen shoot the puck when it is moving? Nope...one thing we can do: lower every other teams' Pairwise Ranking in the ECAC...gee, the last five minutes was good...we played well in the third period...enough already...I've sat through 12+ years of this BS...we have one really good player on this team, that's about it...
                Who's that, curious ?
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I should clarify my comments (above)...these guys never quit, their compete level is high...I've never singled out any young man for poor play (I don't think that's entirely appropriate), but it is self-evident that our program lacks both speed and skill in competing against other DI teams...and Magoo's comments (above) are spot on...scoring in college hockey is up this year, making our inability to score (1.45 goals/game) even more disturbing...skill is tough to recruit, but speed not necessarily so (look at Yale where Snively and a couple of others make Yale a dangerous team to play)...we have kids who scored in junior but apparently their respective skill set does not translate well to the DI level...that's recruiting...and our o-o-c record over the years 9 with the exception of 2013-14 is really poor. Since I can be positive here I would say #9 is a real talent, big and strong, a great stride with speed and skill...he'd be a point/game guy on most DI teams...one or two defensemen seem to be on the cusp of being elite players, but frankly their sophomore years have been inconsistent...I know the kids were not back on campus this weekend, and you don't run a program simply to put fannies in the seats, BUT (see Magoo above)...including this year we will have gone 13 consecutive years where we have finished in the top thirty (out of 60 or so teams) ONLY TWICE...this SHOULD BE unacceptable...and unlike St. Lawrence we have the support of our President and AD...another 3 or 4 years of this and I'll be in a padded cell...

Comment

I have lost all faith in Vaughan and that is sad to admit. The buck/puck stops with the coach and he needs to go to Coaches Anonymous. Until he admits he has a problem (or many), things will never improve. Would it really be hard to recruit a fresh, talented, winning, proven coach to D-I Colgate? I think he put all of his eggs in one basket: a new arena that would save him. So far he has not produced and has under-performed with a multi-million dollar asset. His one good recruit (Point) saw the writing on the wall and bolted for the pros...a goal for any player, yes, but where are the others to follow? How is he able to keep Assistant Coaches - and their morale - high, let alone that of players and fans?

It is also sad to look past the 34+ game season (currently finished game #20) and into the playoffs, which is where I am now and have been for months, hoping to pull off a few upsets, because the regular season is such an abysmal disappointment - again.

Perhaps RPI can relate as their team has struggled over the years. At least they had the sense to fire Appert and try to improve with something new; just not sure I would have chosen Smith from Canisius to do it. D-I hockey is king at D-III schools and credit to RPI for trying to right the ship.

There are the League's stable leaders: Bennett/Union, Pecknold/Qpac, Schafer/Cornell, Allain/Yale, Donato/Harvard. How do they do it and maintain it?
                    And the League's less-stable leaders: Vaughan/Colgate, Gaudet/Dartmouth, Whittet/Brown (should be fired).
                    Looks like Morris/St. Lawrence is having a tough adjustment back to the North Country these past 2 seasons...
                    Last edited by TchrBill; 01-13-2019, 11:46 AM.
                    C O L G A T E
                    2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                    1990 NCAA FINALS
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                    ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                    ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                      I have lost all faith in Vaughan and that is sad to admit. The buck/puck stops with the coach and he needs to go to Coaches Anonymous. Until he admits he has a problem (or many), things will never improve. Would it really be hard to recruit a fresh, talented, winning, proven coach to D-I Colgate? I think he put all of his eggs in one basket: a new arena that would save him. So far he has not produced and has under-performed with a multi-million dollar asset. His one good recruit (Point) saw the writing on the wall and bolted for the pros...a goal for any player, yes, but where are the others to follow? How is he able to keep Assistant Coaches - and their morale - high, let alone that of players and fans?

It is also sad to look past the 34+ game season (currently finished game #20) and into the playoffs, which is where I am now and have been for months, hoping to pull off a few upsets, because the regular season is such an abysmal disappointment - again.
                      Before you start putting yourself into a coaching carousel, how much administrative support are you getting? I seem to recall, a page or two back, that the booster club is not doing all that well in contributing. And how about the people at the top as well? Sure they might not be able to keep up day-to-day, but if there's an expectation for winning from them, and the desire to do whatever is necessary (and legal) to get there, then start looking at coaching staff and what not. But until you get that foundation from the university, you're just going to be lost.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                        The public address announcer might be better off introducing those in attendance rather than the starting line-ups. Midway through the first period and I just counted 208 adults on the Colgate bench side, those standing above them, and both ends. It does not include the Sullivan Suite, the sparsely-populated UMass Lowell side, nor both benches.
                        Has there been any thought to having a day game once in a while? An afternoon game after a night game is kind of tough I know, but there are some of us old timers who won't drive after dark - and this may be true of some of the older locals as well, especially when snow is a factor. I realize the women's team schedules games in the PM, but what if the schedule makers shook things up a bit and alternated each team getting '65 in the afternoon on alternate weekends? Just sayin'.... our attendance might improve with an occasional matinee men's game. It's worth a try if it's doable schedule-wise.

As Green Coat says, we have the support of the President (more now than in the past). It remains to be seen if the new AD has full confidence in DV, but perhaps she is going through the evaluation process at this point. I'll leave it up to TchrBill, Iowa, and GreenCoat to decide who would be a good fit for head coach in the future.
                        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                          Has there been any thought to having a day game once in a while?
                          Our 2nd game of the regular season, a home game against UNH, was a 4 PM start.

And yes, while I wish our program was successful given our new facility and our beautiful campus, you have to keep in mind our barn isn't going to make an immediate impact. The current freshmen are most likely the only players that got to see the rink when they were being recruited. If we're still this mediocre and inconsistent by the year 2022 then yes, a coaching change will be necessary. (Yes, I have *some* patience, but only until then.) It was made clear by the administration in 2013 that they were serious about our hockey programs (men's and women's) when the Board of Trustees approved the construction of the Class of '65 Arena. This was further emphasized in 2014 after our NCAA Tournament appearance. But after the 2014-15 season it's like we've fallen off a cliff and haven't recovered. Perhaps winning 22 games that season but not getting into the NCAA's really fractured us mentally.
                          Colgate '09

Comment

from what I am able to gather there is on balance administrative support for the program...not necessarily the case at St. Lawrence or, at least recently, RPI. Replacing Tim Taylor at Yale was very, very tough, but the right thing to do...in a perfect world I'd love to see this program turn around with the current coaches in place. Sadly I just don't think this is going to happen. My guess is that a lot of evaluation is going on right now. Clearly we are not headed in the right direction and one has to put sentiment aside and look for fundamental changes. It's a little sad, but has to be done...

Comment

to repeat I know that DV worked long and hard to make our new facility a reality...but TchrBill seems to be correct; that should've been the start of upgrading MIH, not the final piece of the puzzle...Pagliaro leaving for UMass-Lowell and the recent de-commits of two upper tier recruits are not good signs. Maybe both events are simply coincidences, but they certainly haven't helped the situation...

Comment

Saturday's game vs. Harvard moved to 3 PM in deference to the incoming storm. Maybe we score more goals during daylight hours?

Comment

Working...
                                X