Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2018-19

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Recruiting is done 2-4 yrs out. A new facility will not likely pay real recruiting dividends for 3-5 yrs. Is this season 2 or 3 in your new barn?
    Season 3 of our new barn.

Congrats to Andrew Farrier on the shutout last night, but going almost the entire first half of the season where we FAIL to score 3 goals in a single game? UNACCEPTABLE. We haven't had any legitimate talent at the forward position since the Spink twins, Mike Borkowski, and Darcy Murphy all graduated in 2016.

Hopefully this break in the schedule will help us become healthy.
    Colgate '09

Comment

slight disagreement to the above...I think McMann fits into that mold, but need better line support...and thanks very much to techtodenver for a really great post...

Comment

Well, I met Colgate ‘04 grad and current Niagara assistant coach Matt Nicholson tonight. He stopped up to see me as I had the only ‘Gate jersey in the crowd at his Niagara at RIT game tonight. Last week I met the Niagara SID assistant Matt Birt and their coach Jason Lammers at the post-Colgate-game press conferences. I do wish them continued good-luck this season.

Tonight was also my fourth non-Colgate game this season, after BGSU-Mercyhurst, Brown-Clarkson and Brown-Saint Lawrence. Next game will be Colgate-Quinnipiac non-conference game at Nassau County Coliseum on Long Island on Saturday, December 29. Having grown up in Buffalo in the Seventies, I remember the story of the woman who called the Nassau County Coliseum box office and asked, “What time is tonight’s New York Islanders game?” to which coach Al Arbour replied, “What time can you be here?”
        Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-15-2018, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by techtodenver View Post
          I would agree but they're getting kids to commit and then they are choosing to head elsewhere, Ciccolini and Scanlin are tough blows but Alex Young and Matthew Verboon on the other hand are good gets, if you add Ciccolini/Scanlin to what already will be coming in and that's a really nice class but they were poached which is tough but it tends to happen when coaching changes occur even assistants, kids rarely commit to a school unless it's a name brand school like the BC/BU, B1G schools, UMD, No Dak and a few others, it's all relationship based and a what have you been doing for me lately situation, loyalty in general is a lost art but with coaches being able to do whatever they want it would be unfair to restrict players.

The only way Clarkson/Colgate are going to bring in top end kids is if they us their location to their advantage and find Canadian kids like the Ciccolini for Colgate or Campbell/Romano for Clarkson, obviously Cheel is a nice facility and is getting a huge renovation but it still won't compare to a lot of schools and the same goes for Colgate, it's a nice modern facility that I really enjoy watching games at and it's a huge step up from Starr but because of basketball money and football money our facilities just can't compare. Every program will have their ups and downs but good ADs/boards are defined by making the correct decisions on when to pull to the plug or when to continue to give opportunity, going with an up and comer coach that is ambitious on the recruiting trail could completely change the culture of Colgate kind of like what has happened with Fargo for the women's program. Watching Clarkson from the end of the George Roll era through the first 4 years of the Jones era there were a lot of times I didn't know if Casey was the correct choice as a hire, our recruiting was below the level of Colgates recruiting currently, then we bring in Hauge who has USHL roots and Jones/Roy work Canada and then we end up with Brosseau, Rempal, Egle, Kielly, Sturm in the same recruiting class and things started to change quickly and now we are layered at forward for the next 2-3 years. it's quite evident you need top end scoring just as Clarkson did, I hope it comes for you and it will be interesting to see if it's DV or someone else trying to reel them in.
          One does not have to look too far from Hamilton to see that unimpressive facilities do not imply mediocrity. Union's ascension has been remarkable in spite of Achilles Center, built as a DIII rink in the early seventies. It's a fun place to watch college hockey, more often than not filled with screaming Dutchmen fans. A recent night spent watching the Raiders was noteworthy by the paltry crowd in the Class of 65 rink.
          What is Union's secret? With a similar academic profile, it is quite probably a coaching staff, second to none. Union's resources are miniscule compared to the biggies, yet a national championship banner hangs proudly from the rafters in Achilles.
          Colgate could not be a more desirable school for academics and athletics. Perhaps a coaching change will restore pride in the program, stem defections, and inspire students to pack the beautiful new facility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
            One does not have to look too far from Hamilton to see that unimpressive facilities do not imply mediocrity. Union's ascension has been remarkable in spite of Achilles Center, built as a DIII rink in the early seventies. It's a fun place to watch college hockey, more often than not filled with screaming Dutchmen fans. A recent night spent watching the Raiders was noteworthy by the paltry crowd in the Class of 65 rink.
            What is Union's secret? With a similar academic profile, it is quite probably a coaching staff, second to none. Union's resources are miniscule compared to the biggies, yet a national championship banner hangs proudly from the rafters in Achilles.
            Colgate could not be a more desirable school for academics and athletics. Perhaps a coaching change will restore pride in the program, stem defections, and inspire students to pack the beautiful new facility.
            Union's ground work was laid by Nate Lehman. He built the framework and had a supportive administration that increased support, albeit not to the levels of the big boys. The other thing Nate did was launch the Garnet Blades booster club. I don't have firsthand info, but am told they have done an excellent job of raising a good deal of money that goes directly back into the program.

Bennett had done a great job continuing the model and the success.

Finally, Union now has plans in motion to renovate Messa rink. I don't know the exactly timeline but they are fundraising now will be blowing out the football end of the rink to install proper amenities -concessions, restrooms , etc.

Sorry to talk so much U hockey here, but their success is certainly the model for how to get it done with limited resources.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              Union's ground work was laid by Nate Lehman. He built the framework and had a supportive administration that increased support, albeit not to the levels of the big boys. The other thing Nate did was launch the Garnet Blades booster club. I don't have firsthand info, but am told they have done an excellent job of raising a good deal of money that goes directly back into the program.

Bennett had done a great job continuing the model and the success.

Finally, Union now has plans in motion to renovate Messa rink. I don't know the exactly timeline but they are fundraising now will be blowing out the football end of the rink to install proper amenities -concessions, restrooms , etc.

Sorry to talk so much U hockey here, but their success is certainly the model for how to get it done with limited resources.
              It also helps them that they're in a decently sized city. Colgate doesn't exactly have that option. Sure, Utica and Syracuse are nearby, but it's still a bit of a hike, so getting the village involved is paramount, especially when you're a small university in terms of enrollment and alumni.

Comment

Originally posted by Miami Ice View Post
                As Wicked said Lehman built that program from basically the ground up and his work at Providence shows that national championship was no fluke. When talking about the two most recent NCAA Championships for the ECAC in Union and Yale you're talking about teams that were veteran teams that came together at the right time and produced tournament runs that were extremely impressive, I don't want to discredit those teams by any means but I had watched Jeff Malcolm plenty before that run and he just didn't seem like a great goalie, the same could be said for Collin Stevens yet those goalies were pretty solid for the tournament run. The #1 seed Clarkson 06-07 was built the same way but they ran into Jonathan Quick and lost game one, in a single elimination tournament a lot of things can happen.

Union was quite the joke of a program for some time and those screaming fans were empty wooden bleachers. As I said in the post you responded to things can change quickly especially if you get backing from the school, if you look at Union you see a strong academic reputation with a bunch of good D3 sports and D1 hockey so it's quite easy to divert the resources so it's favorable for the hockey program. Then you look at Colgate who is a full D1 university, just were in the national championship for women's hockey, a football program that is considered an elite FCS program, really good lacrosse and soccer programs, basketball programs that seem to be on the up and up. I mean the university probably let Starr live on a bit too long but obviously they built the new arena so it's not like they're being tossed to the wolves but it is evident that DV is not getting it done and he's had plenty of opportunity to do so.
                Last edited by techtodenver; 12-17-2018, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  The other thing Nate did was launch the Garnet Blades booster club. I don't have firsthand info, but am told they have done an excellent job of raising a good deal of money that goes directly back into the program.
                  Sorry WS, but it was Kevin Sneddon who started the Garnet Blades booster club!
                  I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Not to advocate for anyone losing their job but if you think a change is called for a coach who had tremendous success at the NCAA level joined the ranks of the unemployed yesterday.

Comment

Silver Puck Club is the Raiders' booster club
                      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

ColSkate65, who is, and what exactly does the Silver Puck Club do? I have been back East for one-and-half seasons and I still don’t fully understand it. Is it the same as the Silver Puck Fund? Is it just the Silver Puck Weekend? Is it just former players and current donors? Is it membership-based? Do ‘they’ meet monthly during the season? During the off-season? Are there educational/informational programs with guest speakers? Help!

Comment

Great questions Iowa, I googled "Silver Puck Club" as I didn't know the answers either. It seems you have to get involved yourself(donate $)
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Silver Puck Club.....if you donate to Men's hockey, you are a member of the Silver Puck Club. The club sponsors a "weekend" every other year, featuring former players and a banquet. You receive a newsletter on an irregular basis. Two years ago, I did some research on what some of our fellow ECAC schools did with their "fundraising arms," and approached then AD Vicky Chun with a suggestion of Silver Puck sponsoring a 50/50 raffle at each home game. I felt this could be a good way to get information out about Silver Puck and earn some $$ for the program at the same time. Gerry Quill (President of SP), Coach Vaughan both thought it was a great idea, but it was shot down by Vicky. I feel Silver Puck is a sorely neglected club and could use a huge shot in the arm. I just don't know who can /will do it.

Comment

Iowabasedtraveler, you ask a great question...I've been a member (and a fairly generous one over the past two decades) for 40 years...in point of fact, SPC doesn't do much...one banquet in Hamilton/year, a golf outing, but scant information to its members, no real effort to expand its membership, and no "reach out" to publicize the program in general. Jerry Quill is a good man but he's over 80...sadly, I think it reflects the overall state of the program: in dire need of aspirational change...

Comment

Thanks, all. I must be a card-carrying member, then, as I donated fifty dollars last year in honor of Max Elberty, and another fifty this year in honor of Don Vaughan. I don’t golf, but I would be more than willing to volunteer for the organization. I was executive director of a 501(c)(3) non-profit sports museum for 19 years (and curator of it for another 9 years) and president of the International Association of Sports Museums and Halls of Fame for one year. And I am now retired and more than willing to help the cause.

Comment

Working...
                                X