Colgate 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colgate 2018-19

This is difficult, your guess is as good as mine. Two new forwards, three frosh goalies(of which one is a walkon) and a below average offense returning. I would say the defense is Colgate's strongest asset but we need to score more goals. Point stole six or seven games last year so if one of these goalies doesn't perform well we will definitely be a bottom four team. So basically we have the same team back sans Point, what does everyone else think ?
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Re: Colgate 2018-19

I totally agree with you. It depends on how well your goalies can immediately step in and succeed at the NCAA level (like Charlie Finn did, for example) and whether or not your new additions can resolve the lack of offense.

If yes to both and perhaps one, Colgate will open the playoffs at home.
    If not, the Raiders will likely be hanging around the 9-10 spot.
    Last edited by GreenBear; 09-28-2018, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Happy 1st day of October. That only means one thing: the return of hockey season!

However, there's no sugarcoating it here - we were blindsided on July 1st, when Colton Point decided to go pro. Despite Colgate having a 99% graduation rate among student athletes, we've now fallen victim to the "early departure" bug for the 4th time in the past 6 years. In each of the 2 seasons following a player leaving with eligibility remaining (2012-13 and 2015-16), we've only managed to record 6 league wins and finished in 11th or 10th place. So I'm hoping history doesn't repeat itself this season.

But what DOES bode well for us is that all of our defensemen from last season will be returning! So hopefully it can take some pressure off whoever's between the pipes for us. I echo GreenBear's post - if one of these goalies can play just as well as Charlie Finn did as a freshman in 2013-14, it will go a long way towards determining whether or not we have a playoff series at home.

However - for the 3rd season we seem to have a "goal scoring by committee" situation at hand. Since the graduations of the Spink twins, Mike Borkowski, and Darcy Murphy in 2016, we've sputtered on offense. I would really like to see our senior and junior forwards step it up this season. I'm looking at you, Hunter Racine, Adam Dauda, Bobby McMann, John Snodgrass, Jared Cockrell, Ben Sharf, and Tyler Penner.

My life has gotten a bit busier recently, but I'm hoping to make it to a few games this season. Go 'Gate.
      Last edited by Rainman; 10-01-2018, 10:21 AM.
      Colgate '09

Comment

good, dispassionate analysis by Rainman...but one point...Lunn and Stewart are coming in and like decent adds to the forwards...again, though, I see no real uptick in recruiting assets. I desperately hope I'm wrong...

Comment

A topic we bandy about each year: almost two months without hockey at '65 Arena, from mid-November to almost mid-January. We seem to face this predicament every season. When will the schedulers get with the program? There's no better way to kill off a fan base than having a dry spell in the middle of a season.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
            A topic we bandy about each year: almost two months without hockey at '65 Arena, from mid-November to almost mid-January.
            Keep in mind there is a break in the schedule in December each year for final exams. Then the students are on break until mid-January.

Meanwhile, what do you guys think of the ECAC's partnership with ESPN+? On one hand, it means no more free streaming of home games, but on the other hand, $4.99 per month also gets you all other league games, and all ECAC tournament games in March.
            https://www.ecachockey.com/women/201...-_ESPN_Release
            Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
              Meanwhile, what do you guys think of the ECAC's partnership with ESPN+? On one hand, it means no more free streaming of home games, but on the other hand, $4.99 per month also gets you all other league games, and all ECAC tournament games in March.
              https://www.ecachockey.com/women/201...-_ESPN_Release
              Since I'm already an ESPN+ subscriber, I love it. Always hated paying the Ivy League for their games and paying for the playoffs never seemed right. Given that those costs go away, seems like a good deal even for those who don't already have ESPN+ in place.

Comment

The price is right, production is key, the toughest task for me is listening to homer announcers that are just horrible, hard to listen to, I guess they still come with the deal.
                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Just popping in to advertise the ECAC Pick the Standings contest again. It's a super simple game that takes like 1 minute of thought to play. Entrance is allowed through the first ECAC matches at the end of the month, but feel free to make a guess now and revise later. Thanks!
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I am getting excited about the Colgate hockey season, as I booked my tickets today for the Friday-Saturday, October 26-27, series at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. I have seen Michigan State, then-defending national champion Providence and Nebraska - Omaha all play at the Steve Cady Arena in the past. It is a fantastic facility on a beautiful campus in a great college town. Can't wait... and Go 'Gate.
                    P.S. - If anyone needs a ride out from upstate New York (and back), feel free to contact me at iowabasedtraveler@yahoo.com. I also booked myself a room at the Baymont Hotel in Oxford today.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                      I am getting excited about the Colgate hockey season, as I booked my tickets today for the Friday-Saturday, October 26-27, series at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. I have seen Michigan State, then-defending national champion Providence and Nebraska - Omaha all play at the Steve Cady Arena in the past. It is a fantastic facility on a beautiful campus in a great college town. Can't wait... and Go 'Gate.
                      P.S. - If anyone needs a ride out from upstate New York (and back), feel free to contact me at iowabasedtraveler@yahoo.com. I also booked myself a room at the Baymont Hotel in Oxford today.
                      Iowa, I hope your excitement is catching. From the initial look, the season looks challenging at best. Hope for the best.....

Comment

Anyone know how we looked in today's exhibition game with Guelph?

Comment

Wasn't at the game but there are at least a few positives to take away from the stat sheet:

1) our two newest skater friends were in a hurry to make nice - a goal by Stewart assisted by Lunn at 0:51 of the first is not a bad introduction even if it doesn't really count;
                          2) the names we are going to need to hear if we are going to be competitive this year: Dauda, McCann, Cosgrove, Pancetta (at least) all showed up in good places at good times;
                          3) No evidence we got chippy in the third taking only a single penalty and limiting Guelph to only 4 shots (and none on the power play); and
                          4) Our newest friend, really is a friend - welcome to Will Friend, our goalie #3 - played ISL hockey at Governors

Hopefully somebody spent an afternoon preparing a report for us

Comment

I was at the game and I was impressed with the effort and speed of the team in the first period. Things progressed in the second....probably Guelph's period and then the boys came back in the third. We had scoring from a freshman, a sophomore, two juniors and a senior....with a bunch of assists. The goalies looked good. I think the overall feeling for me was that the boys were on fire most of the game. Guelph is a good team. I am looking forward to the UNH series next weekend. Go 'Gate!

Comment

I totally agree with CU13. I really appreciated the team’s effort, especially that of Adam Dauda. It has to have been a confidence booster, especially for the goalies. I was also at the New Hampshire series last year and I hope the veterans (staff and players) learned some valuable lessons from what turned out to be a pointless weekend on the road.
                              On a separate front, I attended last Friday’s BGSU win at Mercyhurst and I just read that BGSU beat Western Michigan last night in Kalamazoo. Bowling Green could be tough this year in the WCHA.

Comment

Working...
                              X