Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Well, I have finally recovered from the Syracuse sweep enough to post. In my heart I am such a fan of the program, what can I say, I feel the highs and lows, lol.

That weekend was unfortunate in that the goalies just weren’t seeing pucks, Syracuse was literally just throwing stuff at the net but there was enough traffic stuff was going in. In game 2 though, by the time Cuse got the bar down short handed goal in the 2nd, their confidence was there and away they went.

Wanted to shout out Meghan Korzack for her first two goal game of her career in game one of the Cuse series. Loved the goal that started with Robillard winning a puck battle on the wall in the neutral zone, then selling the shot and feeding Korzack on the two on one. The sophomore class is having a real nice year for the Lakers, I think all of them have probably bested their personal point totals from last year, although that’s only one measure of success of course.

Robillard, Korzack and Hine are all making noise on the score sheet of late, exactly what the Lakers need. Gotta keep it going. This time year doesn’t matter one iota who gets the points, just need to go out there and find a way.

This weekend, you knew Penn State was going to be tough. They don’t give up a ton of goals, and work really hard, plus senior day will have everyone pumped. Behind a paywall so I didn’t watch. Would have loved one or two w’s but the gap to first is down to three points, and Cuse is still 2 points back in third (top 2 is a huge benefit in the CHA tourney).

Biggest week of the season coming up. Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

Mercyhurst defeated RMU 5-2 last night, closing the gap to one point in the conference standings. Rematch is this afternoon.

Six minute highlight video courtesy of RMU:
      https://rmucolonials.com/news/2019/2...ns-hockey.aspx

Hurst goals from Twitter: https://***********/hurstwhockey/sta...566720000?s=21

Hurst goals from Vasko (2), Robillard, Hine and Tanskanen. Kennedy Blair played solid in net, Marmen had three assists, Dobson had two assists. Lots of contributors to say the least.

I watched the third period but a story of the game beyond Hurst’s determination, energy and goal finishing was RMU’s badly timed penalties. After erasing a 2-0 deficit, RMU took two penalties resulting in a 5 on 3 at the end of the 2nd. The Lakers capitalized and took the lead and never looked back.

With 6 minutes left in the third, Lakers up by 2, RMU on the PP, set up in the offensive end and a colonial takes a cross checking penalty. That was a huge help to the Lakers. They got through the four on four, and then back at 5 on 5 Vasko iced the game with her 2nd of the night.

Three great plays in the third: Blair making a nice pad save early in the RMU pp (RMUs defenders generate a ton of offense from the point, every time they have the puck it’s like look out), Hine blocking multiple shots in a row in that 4 on 4 sequence, then a minute later Vasko chasing down a puck in the Colonials zone, keeping it away from 2 Colonials and unloading a goal scoring shot as the third Colonial arrived on the scene.

Really big win, great play by the whole team and today is another huge game. Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Mercyhurst defeated RMU 5-2 last night, closing the gap to one point in the conference standings. Rematch is this afternoon.

Six minute highlight video courtesy of RMU:
        https://rmucolonials.com/news/2019/2...ns-hockey.aspx

Hurst goals from Twitter: https://***********/hurstwhockey/sta...566720000?s=21

Hurst goals from Vasko (2), Robillard, Hine and Tanskanen. Kennedy Blair played solid in net, Marmen had three assists, Dobson had two assists. Lots of contributors to say the least.

I watched the third period but a story of the game beyond Hurst’s determination, energy and goal finishing was RMU’s badly timed penalties. After erasing a 2-0 deficit, RMU took two penalties resulting in a 5 on 3 at the end of the 2nd. The Lakers capitalized and took the lead and never looked back.

With 6 minutes left in the third, Lakers up by 2, RMU on the PP, set up in the offensive end and a colonial takes a cross checking penalty. That was a huge help to the Lakers. They got through the four on four, and then back at 5 on 5 Vasko iced the game with her 2nd of the night.

Three great plays in the third: Blair making a nice pad save early in the RMU pp (RMUs defenders generate a ton of offense from the point, every time they have the puck it’s like look out), Hine blocking multiple shots in a row in that 4 on 4 sequence, then a minute later Vasko chasing down a puck in the Colonials zone, keeping it away from 2 Colonials and unloading a goal scoring shot as the third Colonial arrived on the scene.

Really big win, great play by the whole team and today is another huge game. Let’s go Lakers!
        Love the puck movement on that Tanskanen 5-on-3 goal. They got all three defenders to bite in one direction and just tick tack toed it in. Good for Mercyhurst setting themselves up to retake the CHA lead today with one more weekend series in the regular season. Syracuse is still in the hunt for second place, too. Robert Morris needs to figure out how to win when Jaycee Gebhard isn't scoring goals.

Comment

Mercyhurst beat RIT 4-0 today with goals from Hine (2), Isbell and Fieseler. Shots were 41-19 in favor of Hurst. Kennedy Blair got the shutout. The line of 7-26-16 has sure been clicking lately as the highlights show:

https://***********/hurstwhockey/sta...596809216?s=21

Enjoyed this thread celebrating the team’s 7 seniors as well (several tweets long):
          https://***********/hurstwhockey/sta...555183617?s=21

All of the seniors say their favorite moment was winning CHAs. Kind of a reminder of how hard it is to win any of the trophies at stake across the NCAA and how special it is when you get it done.

Hoping the Lakers can get the win tomorrow, and lock up 2nd in the league and a bye for Wednesday.

Let’s go Lakers!
          Last edited by Lindsay; 03-01-2019, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Mercyhurst beat RIT 4-0 today with goals from Hine (2), Isbell and Fieseler. Shots were 41-19 in favor of Hurst. Kennedy Blair got the shutout. The line of 7-26-16 has sure been clicking lately as the highlights show:

https://***********/hurstwhockey/sta...596809216?s=21

Enjoyed this thread celebrating the team’s 7 seniors as well (several tweets long):
            https://***********/hurstwhockey/sta...555183617?s=21

All of the seniors say their favorite moment was winning CHAs. Kind of a reminder of how hard it is to win any of the trophies at stake across the NCAA and how special it is when you get it done.

Hoping the Lakers can get the win tomorrow, and lock up 2nd in the league and a bye for Wednesday.

Let’s go Lakers!
            Robillard three assists? Red hot!

Comment

Well, I have finally recovered from the Syracuse sweep enough to post. In my heart I am such a fan of the program, what can I say, I feel the highs and lows, lol.

That weekend was unfortunate in that the goalies just weren’t seeing pucks, Syracuse was literally just throwing stuff at the net but there was enough traffic stuff was going in. In game 2 though, by the time Cuse got the bar down short handed goal in the 2nd, their confidence was there and away they went.

Wanted to shout out Meghan Korzack for her first two goal game of her career in game one of the Cuse series. Loved the goal that started with Robillard winning a puck battle on the wall in the neutral zone, then selling the shot and feeding Korzack on the two on one. The sophomore class is having a real nice year for the Lakers, I think all of them have probably bested their personal point totals from last year, although that’s only one measure of success of course.

Robillard, Korzack and Hine are all making noise on the score sheet of late, exactly what the Lakers need. Gotta keep it going. This time year doesn’t matter one iota who gets the points, just need to go out there and find a way.

This weekend, you knew Penn State was going to be tough. They don’t give up a ton of goals, and work really hard, plus senior day will have everyone pumped. Behind a paywall so I didn’t watch. Would have loved one or two w’s but the gap to first is down to three points, and Cuse is still 2 points back in third (top 2 is a huge benefit in the CHA tourney).

Biggest week of the season coming up. Let’s go Lakers!
              And Mercyhurst got RIT's Terra Lanteigne replaced in the third period - she's red hot in net, so that's saying something about the firepower she faced today!

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                And Mercyhurst got RIT's Terra Lanteigne replaced in the third period - she's red hot in net, so that's saying something about the firepower she faced today!
                The other RIT goalies have only played ~ 45 minutes all year, so I'm sure Davis came into the weekend looking to give Lanteigne a break if a game got away. The Tigers aren't really built to come back from three goals down.

As for Mercyhurst, based on its series with Cornell and Colgate, one would think that the Lakers have another level that they can reach when they're on.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

0-0 after one in Erie. Hurst 0 for 2 on the PP but generated some good chances on the second one. Their PP is interesting, they reallly do move the puck nicely around the perimeter, switching etc,but just don’t penetrate the middle as often as one would like. Isbell from the point to Vasko back door was looking good on the second pp, but they don’t always create that lane. Sometimes I think someone needs to shoot a bomb from the point... Nuutinen did that but Cornine made a brave shot block. The effort is there though, the time of possession is there.... surely a goal soon. Haven’t looked at their pp percentage lately but they got one last night and wouldn’t be surprised to see another today.

Not surprisingly, both teams have different goalies in net today. McDonnell for Hurst and Dejong for RIT. ARM was on to something with the thought about resting goalies (RIT), and in the case of Hurst, they’ve split goaltending duties much of the year.

Nice period out of Morgan Stacey, crushing someone at the offensive blue line on a break out, and later with a key block in the defensive zone.

On to the second.

Comment

2-1 Lakers after the second, shots 17-12 in favor of Hurst. Hurst was trailing, when Vasko got her 12th if the year, assisted by freshman Liliane Perrault. Goal came towards the end of a hardworking shift with sustained pressure in the RIT zone.

Next shift, Robillard scored, from Dobson and Hine of course.

RIT got some great chances on their 2 PPs, plus a short handed breakaway which McDonnell denied them on.

Lakers need a good third to put this away.

Comment

• Re: Mercyhurst Lakers 2018-2019

Lakers win 2-1. Lots of defensive play in the third as the Lakers had to kill a 5 minute major halfway through the period. Luckily RIT took their own penalty in the middle of it to help the Lakers.

Lakers had more PPs themselves, but never did get a goal. They were more aggressive taking shots or trying to make plays in the 2nd and third on the PP, hopefully get whatever they need to win the next game.

Morgan Stacey had another key block with a minute left in the third, and got lots of praise from the pxp guy for her play during today’s game. McDonnell played well, coming up with a save with a second left to earn the win in regulation.

Nice showing by the Lakers on senior weekend. Time for playoffs!

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post

As for Mercyhurst, based on its series with Cornell and Colgate, one would think that the Lakers have another level that they can reach when they're on.
                        This is definitely true. Like many teams, they continue to work at being consistent. It’s the playoffs now, and time to be on! Coming off a solid weekend against RIT, and they will be feeling confident for the playoffs.

Comment

Game day!

First off congrats to senior Sarah Hine for winning best defensive forward award, and to junior Emma Nuutinen for being named to first CHA team, this week.

Tonight’s game at 730 is between Cuse and Hurst, two teams that have met in the semis many times before, and most recently last year when Hurst defeated the Orange in OT.

A big question for today’s semi is who plays in net, for both teams. Senior Maddi Welch got the win yesterday for Cuse but wasn’t really tested. Welch has given up 9 goals to Hurst this year in 2 games. Cohen, a sophomore, has only given up one goal against Hurst in 2 games this year. Both goalies are 1-1 vs Mercyhurst.

For Mercyhurst McDonnell played 3 out of 4 games against Cuse, going 2-1 and earning one shutout against them in a 1-0 game. Meanwhile, Blair hasn’t had stats as good as last year but also played some really tough starts this year, and is coming off a shutout performance against RIT last Saturday. She was excellent in last years post season.

I believe Mercyhurst can win with either goalie. Sloppiness in their own zone, while Syracuse threw anything on net hurt Hurst in the last outing against Syracuse. If Hurst cleans that up and plays a full 60 minutes, I do think they come out on top.

A person could pick anyone to be the difference maker on the score sheet, but a player who has been doing well lately is Dobson. In the second half she’s quietly climbed up to 2nd in points on the team with 22. One of my favorite goals of the year was the 1-0 win over Cuse in the fall, when Hine and Dobson dug a puck out of the corner and Dobson found Isbell in the slot, who then beat Ady Cohen after she stepped around the Syracuse D. Hope they have some of that magic tonight.

Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                            Game day!

First off congrats to senior Sarah Hine for winning best defensive forward award, and to junior Emma Nuutinen for being named to first CHA team, this week.

Tonight’s game at 730 is between Cuse and Hurst, two teams that have met in the semis many times before, and most recently last year when Hurst defeated the Orange in OT.

A big question for today’s semi is who plays in net, for both teams. Senior Maddi Welch got the win yesterday for Cuse but wasn’t really tested. Welch has given up 9 goals to Hurst this year in 2 games. Cohen, a sophomore, has only given up one goal against Hurst in 2 games this year. Both goalies are 1-1 vs Mercyhurst.

For Mercyhurst McDonnell played 3 out of 4 games against Cuse, going 2-1 and earning one shutout against them in a 1-0 game. Meanwhile, Blair hasn’t had stats as good as last year but also played some really tough starts this year, and is coming off a shutout performance against RIT last Saturday. She was excellent in last years post season.

I believe Mercyhurst can win with either goalie. Sloppiness in their own zone, while Syracuse threw anything on net hurt Hurst in the last outing against Syracuse. If Hurst cleans that up and plays a full 60 minutes, I do think they come out on top.

A person could pick anyone to be the difference maker on the score sheet, but a player who has been doing well lately is Dobson. In the second half she’s quietly climbed up to 2nd in points on the team with 22. One of my favorite goals of the year was the 1-0 win over Cuse in the fall, when Hine and Dobson dug a puck out of the corner and Dobson found Isbell in the slot, who then beat Ady Cohen after she stepped around the Syracuse D. Hope they have some of that magic tonight.

Let’s go Lakers!
                            Summer Rae makes the All name team for sure. But, I think the Hines, Robillard line has been red hot as you so astutely pointed out weeks ago. I think it makes it that much harder to match up with the Nuutinen line.

Stoney Creek product Vasko, I think plays with a high hockey iq and seems to always make the right play.

Comment

3-2 Cuse after 2. Cohen and Blair in the nets, Lakers outshooting the 25-17.

Cuse with 2 goals that were scored on a delayed penalty against Mercyhurst... then in college you still have to serve the penalty after being scored on. What a devastating rule. Ah well, gotta get them in the third.

Hurst goals from Nuutinen, and Dobson on the power play. Cuse goals from Eastwood (2), and Hoppner.

One more (at least) period. Let’s go Lakers!

Comment

Please, please, please take out Syracuse!

Comment

Working...
                                X