Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes

Buckeyes close the gap to one on a power play goal by Emma Maltais. 14 minutes remaining in the 3rd.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Upset alert: Bemidji State 2, Ohio State 1

Comment

Really glad I am just now sitting down to recap this game. The smoke is no longer coming out of my ears. Watched Coach Nadine's postgame interview and she certainly wasn't happy with the performance today. In what is becoming a disturbing trend, Ohio State lost its third Friday night road game in a row to drop to 9-4 on the season. There is a video on ohiostatebuckeyes.com of the team last season setting in the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport after losing to Minnesota in the semi-final game of the WCHA Final Face-Off Tournament. They are getting ready to watch the NCAA Selection Show to find out if they made the NCAA Tournament. Coach Nadine gives them this great speech about controlling what they can control so that they won't have to sweat it out when it comes to the PairWise and achieving the goals they have set for themselves. That message seems to have been lost this season. Well, I have probably said too much already. I love our kids (they know that) and despite today's loss, I still think the program is moving in the right direction and can accomplish whatever goals they have set for themselves. As Coach said in the postgame interview, though, they need to play a full sixty, and not think they can take shifts off. Well, I have vented enough. No one feels worse about this than the coaches and players, so I will end my rant and just congratulate Bemidji State for winning their first game this season. Here is how the Beavers did it. Lindsey Featherstone opened the scoring for Bemidji in the first period. Clair DeGeorge added another goal for the Beavers in the second period and that would turn out to be the game-winner. The Buckeyes got a goal in the third period from Emma Maltais to cut the lead in half at 2-1, but that would be all they would get as the Beavers hung on for the 2-1 win. The Buckeyes outshot the Beavers 39-23 with Bemidji goaltender Kerigan Dowhy saving 38 shots. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped 21 of the 23 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow with game time at 4:07 pm EST.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Watch out for overconfidence: the Beavers just might be the best zero-win team in the country.
          Unfortunately you proved to be prophetic. And Bemidji once again proved that they're always a tough out.

Gotta bounce back and get that split. Go Bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Unfortunately you proved to be prophetic. And Bemidji once again proved that they're always a tough out.

Gotta bounce back and get that split. Go Bucks!
            It's been talked about but this years Bemidji team hasn't had the goaltending they are accustomed to. If they are now getting improved play from the two goaltenders, which it appears may be the case, then they will start winning games. They have some pretty good talent on their roster.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I did watch the whole game, and in the 3rd each team missed on what looked like sure goals. The Buckeyes had a beautifully executed 2 on 1, with the last pass coming right near an open goalmouth...but Dowhy was somehow able to extend her goalie stick on the ice and make the save. Looked like a sure goal that would have tied the game. The Beavers also narrowly missed with a little more than a minute left, also on a two on one but with the Ohio State net empty. Clair DeGeorge, who may well be Bemidji's best player, unselfishly passed the puck to a teammate as they crossed the blueline, but the player who received the pass somehow shot the puck wide from no more than 30 feet out. I'm sure she was pretty anxious during that last minute when the Buckeyes put on all kinds of pressure and came very close to getting the equalizer as time was winding down.

Comment

Bemidji completed the sweep today and instead of one of my rants (smoke is still billowing out of my ears on this one), I will just quote our coach from the postgame interview on ohiostatebuckeyes.com.

"You have to respect your opponent and play a full game of hockey."

And here is the key statement from Coach, IMHO.

"I think there's some ownership that needs to be had in the locker room from the top down ... They need to reflect and hold each other accountable."

Here is the whole, albeit, short, interview with Coach Muzerall (link below). Kind of reminded me of one of Coach John Tortorella's 30-second pressers after the Columbus Blue Jackets crap the bed.

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/the-ohi...bemidji-state/

One word for this weekend ... inexcusable. That is all I will say about what happened the past couple days in Bemidji. Having said that, thankfully, it's early enough in the season that any goal this group has set for themselves is still there for them to attain. I believe in them, despite how they played in Bemidji. They do have the talent. They have already shown that with three wins over top ten teams, and Nadine Muzerall has not suddenly forgot how to coach. It's up to the girls in that locker room regarding what they want to accomplish this season, and whether they are willing to go out there and outwork the other team to accomplish those goals. I hope they learned from this weekend and don't become the poster children for the old sports adage, "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

As for the game, the only positive stat for the Buckeyes was they again outshot Bemidji 34-27, although it did not matter. Today's game actually went back and forth until the third period. After a scoreless first period, Bemidji opened the scoring in the second period on a goal by Abby Halluska. The Buckeyes answered with a goal by Charly Dahlquist. Still in the second period, Paige Beebe scored for the Beavers to put them back on top 2-1. The Buckeyes' Maddy Field answered to knot things up at 2-2 heading into the third period. Haley Mack scored what turned out to be the game-winner on a power play goal at the beginning of the third period. Jacqueline Kaasa added an empty netter at the end to make the final score 4-2.

Clearly, this is a watershed moment in Ohio State's season. This is where they determine if they are going to right the ship and move forward, or if they continue on this inexplicable downward spiral. Obviously, I am hoping it's the former, and believe it will be. This program has way too much talent to let a promising season go down the tubes.

It gets tougher for the Buckeyes next weekend as they return home to face 8th-ranked Minnesota-Duluth. Bemidji State will travel to Wisconsin to take on the Badgers.
                Last edited by osualum86; 11-10-2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, November 16th
                  Ohio State 3
                  Minnesota-Duluth 1

#7 vs. #7?
                  Something Has To Give!
                  And of course it did. The Buckeyes won Round 1 of what promises to be an exhilarating set of 4 regular season games.

Neither team was satisfied with the results of their last WCHA series. Voters in this week's USCHO Poll also had some mixed feelings. The two teams finished in a dead heat for 7th Place, with 53 votes apiece.

Both teams are aiming higher, of course. But the dead heat in the voting set the tone for tonight's hard fought game, and is likely a harbinger of things to come. No hanging chads in this match-up; it's a genuinely close competition.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota-Duluth Honorable Mention: (tie)Ryleigh Houston and Sydney Brodt
                  Pretty subjective choice on my part. But I left the Ice Rink tonight with the distinct impression that the Bulldogs are very solid on Left Wing. Both Sydney & Ryleigh are quick, strong, skilled & effective. Or, maybe it's just me. But both caught my eye.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: (tie)Emma Maltais and Tatum Skaggs
                  All they did was combine for the GWG. A centering pass from Sophie Jaques caromed off Tatum's skate directly Emma. If only for an instant, Bulldog Goalie Maddie Rooney was caught off-guard, as Maltais ruthlessly blew the puck into the Bulldog net.

Now, about that carom. Magnificent skill or puck luck? Only Skaggs knows for sure. The guess here is a little of both.

#3 Star: (tie) Sophie Jaques, Ohio State; and Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
                  If you can hold the potent Bulldog offense to a single goal, you're doing lots of things right. Tonight Jaques & Dunne performed as the First 'D' Pair; I'll let them represent the OSU 'D' Corps. Sophie seems get stronger with each passing week. She's become increasingly gritty and tough be beat in the heavy going along the boards. Line Score? 3 shots, 1 block, 1 assist & +1 for the night.

Jincy was, well, Jincy. Line Score? 5 shots, 3 blocks, 1 assist & +1 for the night.

#2 Star: Jalyn Elmes, Minnesota-Duluth
                  If your school is located in an international port city, your team needs an anchor. Elmes is the Bulldog's anchor on defense. Jalyn was a steadying influence on the Bulldog breakout all night long. She also contributed 3 blocked shots, and of course scored the UMD goal.

#1 Star: Madison Field, Ohio State
                  8 shots; 2 goals. A high volume of shots, with a substantial dose of the unexpected. If you want to beat a Gold Medal Goalie, this is a pretty decent approach.

UMD took an early lead, but the Bulldogs never got the opportunity to be comfortable with it. Just 1:24 later, Madison won a goal mouth scramble to tie the score. Clearly a turning point in the game.

Then, deep in the 3rd Period, Field executed an Aerial Lift Tip. Suddenly Duluth's safe harbor wasn't quite as safe. From that Point forward, the Buckeyes Parked on the 3-1 score, and smartly closed out the victory.

Up Next: Rematch With The Bulldogs @ 1:07 PM Saturday. Once again we welcome our visitors from Duluth to the historic OSU Ice Rink. Just don't forget the early start time, or the game will be history before you arrive!
                  Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-17-2018, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, November 16th
                    Ohio State 3
                    Minnesota-Duluth 1

#7 vs. #7?
                    Something Has To Give!
                    And of course it did. The Buckeyes won Round 1 of what promises to be an exhilarating set of 4 regular season games.

Neither team was satisfied with the results of their last WCHA series. Voters in this week's USCHO Poll also had some mixed feelings. The two teams finished in a dead heat for 7th Place, with 53 votes apiece.

Both teams are aiming higher, of course. But the dead heat in the voting set the tone for tonight's hard fought game, and is likely a harbinger of things to come. No hanging chads in this match-up; it's a genuinely close competition.

Minnesota-Duluth Honorable Mention: (tie)Ryleigh Houston and Sydney Brodt
                    Pretty subjective choice on my part. But I left the Ice Rink tonight with the distinct impression that the Bulldogs are very solid on Left Wing. Both Sydney & Ryleigh are quick, strong, skilled & effective. Or, maybe it's just me. But both caught my eye.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: (tie)Emma Maltais and Tatum Skaggs
                    All they did was combine for the GWG. A centering pass from Sophie Jaques caromed off Tatum's skate directly Emma. If only for an instant, Bulldog Goalie Maddie Rooney was caught off-guard, as Maltais ruthlessly blew the puck into the Bulldog net.

Now, about that carom. Magnificent skill or puck luck? Only Skaggs knows for sure. The guess here is a little of both.

#3 Star: (tie) Sophie Jaques, Ohio State; and Jincy Dunne, Ohio State
                    If you can hold the potent Bulldog offense to a single goal, you're doing lots of things right. Tonight Jaques & Dunne performed as the First 'D' Pair; I'll let them represent the OSU 'D' Corps. Sophie seems get stronger with each passing week. She's become increasingly gritty and tough be beat in the heavy going along the boards. Line Score? 3 shots, 1 block, 1 assist & +1 for the night.

Jincy was, well, Jincy. Line Score? 5 shots, 3 blocks, 1 assist & +1 for the night.

#2 Star: Jalyn Elmes, Minnesota-Duluth
                    If your school is located in an international port city, your team needs an anchor. Elmes is the Bulldog's anchor on defense. Jalyn was a steadying influence on the Bulldog breakout all night long. She also contributed 3 blocked shots, and of course scored the UMD goal.

#1 Star: Madison Field, Ohio State
                    8 shots; 2 goals. A high volume of shots, with a substantial dose of the unexpected. If you want to beat a Gold Medal Goalie, this is a pretty decent approach.

UMD took an early lead, but the Bulldogs never got the opportunity to be comfortable with it. Just 1:24 later, Madison won a goal mouth scramble to tie the score. Clearly a turning point in the game.

Then, deep in the 3rd Period, Field executed an Aerial Lift Tip. Suddenly Duluth's safe harbor wasn't quite as safe. From that Point forward, the Buckeyes Parked on the 3-1 score, and smartly closed out the victory.

Up Next: Rematch With The Bulldogs @ 1:07 PM Saturday. Once again we welcome our visitors from Duluth to the historic OSU Ice Rink. Just don't forget the early start time, or the game will be history before you arrive!
                    Good write up as usual. Didn't see it but glad to hear it was a close competitive game.

UMD's biggest weakness thus far from what I've seen is their inability to capitalize on decent scoring opportunities on a somewhat consistent basis. This causes them to let games slip away into the loss column that would otherwise seem that they had a good likelihood of winning. Seems to me that the offense hasn't bought into the belief stage of offensive success and therefore they don't appear to play with conviction and/or as one force. It's a somewhat disjuncted affair.

And an ongoing concern of mine for years, off and on, is not shooting with conviction. That has reared its ugly head again this year which I just don't understand at this level. Some of the shooting effort belongs back in Bantam...years ago in their careers.

Watched the 'Dogs' series with UM and it was like night and day...UM players generally shoot like they mean it...like they should...and that is a pleasure to see. We'll see if UMD can correct this serious deficiency and doing so would automatically increase the capitalization percentage.

Comment

I won't do my usual recap as Pgb already has the three stars up. The only thing I will add here are the goalie stats. The Buckeyes outshot the Bulldogs 45-28. UMD goalie Maddie Rooney stopped 42 of the shots she faced. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli saved 27 of the 28 shots she faced.

Blackbeard, nice to see you stopping by! Good luck today (but not too much)!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                        I won't do my usual recap as Pgb already has the three stars up.
                        Duplication was one my concerns about moving the Three Stars to our team thread. While I continue to believe that it was the right decision, I don't want to discourage you (or anyone else) from posting your take. Avoiding duplication is OK to a point. But when in doubt, post!

The only thing I will add here are the goalie stats. The Buckeyes outshot the Bulldogs 45-28. UMD goalie Maddie Rooney stopped 42 of the shots she faced. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli saved 27 of the 28 shots she faced.
                        Excellent addition. I generally "expand the sky." Even so, there are only so many Stars to go around. While she wasn't on the Friday list, I was certainly proud of Andrea and how she played.

Blackbeard, nice to see you stopping by! Good luck today (but not too much)!
                        This.

Comment

Pgb, with your Three Stars, which are thoroughly enjoyable, I didn't feel the need to add much. And having been a fan of the Three Stars for many seasons, I am thrilled that you are posting them here! I will look forward to your Three Stars for today's game whenever you get them up.

As for today's game and this weekend as a whole, I will paraphrase a Mark Twain quote ... "Reports of the OSU Women's Hockey team's demise have been greatly exaggerated!" The Buckeyes flexed their muscles this weekend and got back to the relentless brand of hockey that Ohio State has been known for under Coach Nadine Muzerall. In the process, the Buckeyes finished off the sweep today against a very good Minnesota-Duluth team. The Bulldogs opened the scoring in the first period on a goal by Sydney Brodt to take a 1-0 lead. After that it was the Tatum Skaggs show as the sophomore forward had a hat trick today. Tatum scored Ohio State's first goal to knot the score at 1-1. Sara Saekkinen scored the Buckeyes' second goal and that one turned out to be the game-winner. That was just the first period as Ohio State took a 2-1 lead into the first intermission. Neither team scored in the second period. Tatum Skaggs scored a goal in the third period to put the Buckeyes up 3-1, then added an empty-netter to make the final score 4-1. Neither goaltender saw as many shots as they did in Friday's game as the final shots on goal numbers were 30-22 in favor of the Buckeyes. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 21 of the 22 shots she faced and Maddie Rooney saved 26 of the 29 shots she faced. The Buckeyes will take the six points and enjoy a break for Thanksgiving before traveling to Mankato for a series against an improved Minnesota State team on 12/1 - 12/2. The Bulldogs travel to Clarkson to take on the Golden Knights in a big non-league series on 11/23 - 11/24.

Comment

Pgb, with your Three Stars, which are thoroughly enjoyable, I didn't feel the need to add much. And having been a fan of the Three Stars for many seasons, I am thrilled that you are posting them here! I will look forward to your Three Stars for today's game whenever you get them up.

As for today's game and this weekend as a whole, I will paraphrase a Mark Twain quote ... "Reports of the OSU Women's Hockey team's demise have been greatly exaggerated!"
                            Haha. Got a good laugh from this.

But could said reports be deemed to be exaggerated due to OSU's handing that baton off to UMD this weekend?

Again, didn't see it but hope the play was competitive. As I alluded to last night UMD has offensive production problems. One goal per game isn't going to cut it.

Congratulations on the sweep. Hopefully UMD's offensive will be tuned up for the rematch.

Comment

As for today's game and this weekend as a whole, I will paraphrase a Mark Twain quote ... "Reports of the OSU Women's Hockey team's demise have been greatly exaggerated!"
                              OSU was never pronounced dead but there was a time I had hoped for them to have a home game in the NC$$s instead of a trip to Madison. I felt confident either OSU or UMD could do it but it is not looking good at the moment.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, November 17th
                                Ohio State 4
                                Minnesota-Duluth 1

Tatum Caps Off Satisfying Sweep
                                The series came to a pleasing crescendo at 18:42 of the 3rd Period when Tatum Skaggs completed her hat trick. The two wins provide a nice separation in the WCHA standings between the two squads. The victories should also pay dividends in the Polls & the Pairwise.

That Tie for 7th Place in the National Rankings? It's Been Broken.

Honorable Mention: Maggie Flaherty, Minnesota-Duluth
                                Once again the UMD defense was stingy. Despite the 3 goal margin, the Bulldogs put up a stubborn resistance. Maggie led the way with 4 blocked shots.

#3 Star: Sara Saekkinen, Ohio State
                                Outstanding compete level from Sara all game long. It seemed like Saekkinen was constantly winning loose pucks. Sara's efforts were rewarded on the GWG. Charging to the net for a second chance opportunity, Saekkinen arrived first and shoveled the puck into the Bulldog net. Madison Field's inital shot created said opportunity. Field also tried to complete the play. But even Mighty Madison couldn't outwork Sara on this one.

#2 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State
                                We've got ourselves a Name-Brand Goalie. Or is that a Name-Braend Goalie? Great weekend for Andrea; 48 Saves on 50 UMD shots. The math is pretty easy; that's a 96% Save percentage.

I've been guilty of taking Braendli a bit for granted so far. But not today. A key keeper moment came early in the 3rd Period, with the Buckeyes clinging to a precarious 2-1 lead. A Bulldog breakaway had game-changing potential. But calm & composed, Andrea stonewalled the UMD shooter. Huge lift for the Buckeyes. Demoralizing turn of events for the Bulldogs. And certainly one of the keys to the victory.

#1 Star: Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State
                                Tatum scored every which way. On the Power Play, at Even Strength, and an Empty-Netter. She showed remarkable grit along the way. Consider the invaluable insurance goal. Jacyn Reeves -- who also had an outstanding game -- made a gallant rush and put a stiff shot on the UMD netminder. Skaggs crashed the slot, hoping for a rebound. Both the rebound and the crash materialized. A Bulldog defender essentially pitch-forked Tatum to the ice. Body, Soul & Puck wound up in the net. The puck appeared to go in off of a Skaggs Skate, but no distinct kicking motion was detected. Distinct Self-Preservation Motions? The answer to that would be yes.

The empty-netter was a sheer battle of will between Tatum & a Bulldog defender. Jincy Dunne cleared the zone, creating the one-on-one battle in the UMD end. Skaggs out-maneuvered and out-muscled her opponent, slid the puck home, and closed out the series.

Up Next: Happy Thanksgiving! Then December opens with a Road Trip to Mankato.
                                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-18-2018, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X