Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Mavs and Buckeyes now in overtime...
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

OT win for the Buckeyes!!

Comment

Ohio State scores with less than a minute left in the overtime and win 2-1.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I wasn't there for either last & this Saturday's games. Does anyone think we aren't having enough left in the tank after strong Friday performances?

Comment

It took OT today, but the Buckeyes earned all six WCHA points this weekend after a 2-1 win over Minnesota State. Liz Schepers lit the lamp for the Buckeyes in the first period. Tristen Truax tied it up for the Mavericks in the second period. The game-winner was scored by Maddy Field in OT on a nifty pass from Emma Maltais. The Buckeyes outshot the Mavericks 44-34. Maverick goaltender Abigail Levy stood tall in net for Minnesota State, stopping 42 of the 44 shots she faced today. Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli was also outstanding today, stopping 33 of the 34 shots she faced. Next weekend the Buckeyes will travel to Minneapolis for a big battle with the #3-ranked Gophers. Minnesota State will return home next weekend to face St. Cloud State.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, October 13th
              Ohio State 2
              Minnesota State 1
              (O.T.)

Playing The Field
              The Alpha was fine; the Buckeyes opened the scoring just 1:21 into the game. The Omega was very cool; the GWG came with only 53 seconds left in overtime. But all efforts in between met with considerable resistance.

Playing with 11 Forwards on Friday, setting OSU's line combinations got a little fancy. But when second line Center Gabby Rosenthal went down with an injury early in Saturday's tilt, the difficulty went up to a whole new level.

After the injury, and aided by a string of five Power Plays, the Mankato took control of the game for a long stretch. They managed to tie the score at 1. Perhaps the Buckeyes were fortunate that this was extent of the Maverick scoring. A key turning point came when the Buckeyes successfully killed off a 5 on 3 Maverick advantage.

Once the Buckeyes regained control of the game, they outshot the Visitors by a substantial margin. But the Mav defense proved to be very stingy. Which Buckeye would break the tie?

When handicapping a horse race, sometimes there's an obvious favorite. Other times there's a handful of strong contenders who are likely to win, place or show. But for some races, all you can do is Play The Field. Like today.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Honorable Mention: (tie) Liz Schepers, Ohio State and Emma Maltais, Ohio State
              No margin for error in this one. The calm finish Liz gave us on the first goal, and Emma's brilliant cross-slot pass on the game winner were both vitally important.

#3 Star: (tie)Andrea Braendli, Ohio State and Abigail Levy, Minnesota State
              Recognizing both defenses is a must; I'll let the two goalies take the bow. Like football quarterbacks, goalies sometimes get too much credit for success and too much blame when defenses fall short. Defense is, of course, a team effort. But in this case both goalies parlayed steady play into robust save totals and strong save percentages. Both stars were well earned.

#2 Star: (tie)Tristen Truax, Minnesota State; Jordan McLaughlin, Minnesota State and Corbin Boyd, Minnesota State
              Impressive game for Mankato's top line. Tristen scored the Mavs' goal; Jordan had one of the assists. Even more importantly, they shut down Ohio State's top scoring threats throughout the contest. Big, strong, hardworking and smart, they play the whole 200 feet. Despite losing 2-1, the entire line was +1 for the game. Translating that doesn't require a math major.

#1 Star: Madison Field, Ohio State
              Today playing the Field was the best possible bet. On the first goal, Madison created the scoring chance with a strong drive to the slot. Couldn't tell if the puck advanced to Schepers on a direct pass or a rebound. Regardless, Liz was quite happy to convert the feed.

First the Field Feed, then the Field Finish. Break-out pass by Charly Dahlquist. Long carry & cross-slot pass by Maltais, as referenced above. Then Madison completed the play -- and the game -- with an authoritative finish into the back of the Minnesota State net.

Up Next: Road Trip To Minneapolis To Take On The Gophers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I wasn't there for either last & this Saturday's games. Does anyone think we aren't having enough left in the tank after strong Friday performances?
                Legitimate question. But not my first guess. Or, at the very least, it's more complicated than that.

The Buckeyes started both Saturday games strong. The let downs came mostly in the second period.

When the second period becomes a concern, the long change has to be considered a suspect. But I can't really recall specific instances.

More likely the short turnaround between our Friday & Saturday games has something to do with it. It's tough to play 120+ minutes in less than 24 hours. And while I haven't done any systemic checking, I believe our typical schedule is something of an exception to the general pattern. Maybe the Visitors have a tendency to start slow on Saturdays, but gain strength as the game goes on?

Just thinking out loud...

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                  Legitimate question. But not my first guess. Or, at the very least, it's more complicated than that.

The Buckeyes started both Saturday games strong. The let downs came mostly in the second period.

When the second period becomes a concern, the long change has to be considered a suspect. But I can't really recall specific instances.

More likely the short turnaround between our Friday & Saturday games has something to do with it. It's tough to play 120+ minutes in less than 24 hours. And while I haven't done any systemic checking, I believe our typical schedule is something of an exception to the general pattern. Maybe the Visitors have a tendency to start slow on Saturdays, but gain strength as the game goes on?

Just thinking out loud...
                  I would agree it's probably more complicated than my original question. I had forgotten about the early start times on the Saturday games but let us also not forget the parity of our opponent having the same amount of rest as us. Another factor could be simply our opponent after facing us on Friday adjusted to our play. Whatever the reason or reasons for our Saturday games being more difficult for us I'm sure it is not lost on our coaches and they will be addressing it to try and keep our second games from being so tight.
                  Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 10-14-2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    I would agree it's probably more complicated than my original question. I had forgotten about the early start times on the Saturday games but let us also not forget the parity of our opponent having the same amount of rest as us. Another factor could be simply our opponent after facing us on Friday adjusted to our play. Whatever the reason or reasons for our Saturday games being more difficult for us I'm sure it is not lost on our coaches and they will be addressing it to try and keep our second games from being so tight.
                    Good point on the same amount of rest.

Also, I'm sure Visitor adjustments have played a role. And yet, why the second period aspect? After 60 minutes of action, the opponents can't quite put their finger on a solution, but after 80 minutes the light bulb goes on? That doesn't quite ring true.

Part of me says we're overthinking this. It may be no more complicated than when a series is competitive, there's a natural tendency to split.

Regardless, I'm sure that the coaching staff will be addressing the issue. That's why they're paid the big bucks. Well, the medium bucks.

Comment

And yet, why the second period aspect?
                      Strange isn't it how teams do better only during certain parts of games?
                      Our football team seems to be a second half team and prior to last season our men's hockey team consistently would fall asleep during 2nd period.

Comment

Playing with 11 Forwards on Friday, setting OSU's line combinations got a little fancy. But when second line Center Gabby Rosenthal went down with an injury early in Saturday's tilt, the difficulty went up to a whole new level.
                        Completely agree with this! Sincerely hope the injuries don't keep the kids sidelined for long. We're down 3 forwards, a defenseman, and a goaltender. On the bright side, the fact that we were still able to sweep shows how much depth we have. Plus, the experience our younger players are getting now will pay dividends down the road.

As for the whole Friday/Saturday thing, I have always thought the long travel before the Friday games, then getting a good night's sleep and just having to get on a bus and drive to the OSU Ice Rink had something to do with the visiting teams being better on Saturday, but that's just another theory, which hasn't always been true. Some teams have come in and gave us better games on Friday, then we beat them worse on Saturday, so it is certainly not an exact science. As you said, "It's more complicated than that."

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          Completely agree with this! Sincerely hope the injuries don't keep the kids sidelined for long. We're down 3 forwards, a defenseman, and a goaltender. On the bright side, the fact that we were still able to sweep shows how much depth we have. Plus, the experience our younger players are getting now will pay dividends down the road.
                          All true. Somebody should tell the injury bug to move on; we've already had our full share...

As for the whole Friday/Saturday thing, I have always thought the long travel before the Friday games, then getting a good night's sleep and just having to get on a bus and drive to the OSU Ice Rink had something to do with the visiting teams being better on Saturday, but that's just another theory, which hasn't always been true...
                          Or in some cases, they just have to walk across the street from the Blackwell. Now that's what I call an agreeable commute!

Don't ask which teams; I've made no such mental notes. It's just that on several occasions over the years, I've noticed visiting players trooping over there.

Comment

Article by Alison Lukan of The Athletic (paywall) on Andrea Braendli:

https://theathletic.com/589083/2018/...-for-buckeyes/

Comment

Great article, thanks for sharing Lindsay! I subscribe to The Athletic just for Alison's stories about OSU Women's Hockey and the stories about my Blue Jackets! I actually saw Alison after Saturday's game and asked her if we were going to see something in The Athletic about OSU Women's Hockey. I have to respectfully disagree with your comment after the story about our "inconsistency." We were whistled for five penalties in the second period. Tough to match the opponent's shots on goal numbers when you're on the PK for half the period. Or maybe it wasn't you, maybe it was someone else named Lindsay. It's all good, though. I was happy with the sweep considering the injuries we are dealing with right now. Thankfully we should get some of the injured players back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                Great article, thanks for sharing Lindsay! I subscribe to The Athletic just for Alison's stories about OSU Women's Hockey and the stories about my Blue Jackets! I actually saw Alison after Saturday's game and asked her if we were going to see something in The Athletic about OSU Women's Hockey. I have to respectfully disagree with your comment after the story about our "inconsistency." We were whistled for five penalties in the second period. Tough to match the opponent's shots on goal numbers when you're on the PK for half the period. Or maybe it wasn't you, maybe it was someone else named Lindsay. It's all good, though. I was happy with the sweep considering the injuries we are dealing with right now. Thankfully we should get some of the injured players back soon.
                                Hahah yes that was me! I will defer to you as you see it live. Was thinking of that second period plus the 5 unanswered goals from last week. Lots of moving parts in a game though, no control over the refs and other team and as you indicate, that’s part of the story too. Bottom line is the Buckeyes are 5-1, and 4th ranked in the country, a season start just about anyone would want.

As for The Athletic, yes I really enjoy their Blue Jackets coverage. Alison, Porty, and Tom Reed do a wonderful job, and the women’s hockey stuff from Alison is like a bonus. I hope the women’s hockey features keep coming. I was hesitant to share here bc people get worked up about paywalls, so I’m glad at least one person could read it.
                                Last edited by Lindsay; 10-16-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X