Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2018-19

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    I am late on this so I will just wrap up both games in the same post.

Both games were very similar with Ohio State getting out to 2-1 and 3-1 leads, then Quinnipiac came back with late goals to make the final scores 3-2 in both games...

... I was really impressed with Quinnipiac's facility and needless to say, I'm hoping to make a return trip there in March for the Frozen Four.

Both teams are back in action next weekend. Ohio State has a big series at home with Colgate. Quinnipiac will host Maine.
    Thanks for the report! And thank goodness for a post on the 2018-19 thread that's actually about 2018-19.

Now I'm even more psyched up for the Colgate series. Go Bucks!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Thanks for the report! And thank goodness for a post on the 2018-19 thread that's actually about 2018-19.

Now I'm even more psyched up for the Colgate series. Go Bucks!
      Really hoping my manager will let me alter my hours a little on Friday because I don't want to miss the unveiling of the Frozen Four banner.

I mentioned the facility, but I also want to give a shout out to the Quinnipiac fans who were really nice. They have a decent team and their fans were very complimentary of our team, notably our speed. Also, got to meet some of the new parents, which was great! It was a fun trip, but it will be nice to get back to the friendly confines of the OSU Ice Rink this weekend!

Comment

Really hoping my manager will let me alter my hours a little on Friday because I don't want to miss the unveiling of the Frozen Four banner.
        Lobby hard; it will be great moment. And there's no one in the stands who deserves to be there more than you.

I mentioned the facility, but I also want to give a shout out to the Quinnipiac fans who were really nice. They have a decent team and their fans were very complimentary of our team, notably our speed. Also, got to meet some of the new parents, which was great! It was a fun trip, but it will be nice to get back to the friendly confines of the OSU Ice Rink this weekend!
        Love the Friendly Confines reference! OK, I'm not quite ready to equate the Ice Rink to Wrigley Field. I'm also not at all sure that that the Ice Rink will survive to its 100 year anniversary, which Wrigley celebrated a few years back.

But there are some commonalities. It's certainly a throwback to the small town rinks from a couple of generations ago. With the right group of people, it can be loud and fun in there, even though the numbers aren't high in absolute terms. No bells & whistles? That can't be disputed. But for those who truly love the sport, the simplicity can be embraced. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.

Comment

Lobby hard; it will be great moment. And there's no one in the stands who deserves to be there more than you.

Love the Friendly Confines reference! OK, I'm not quite ready to equate the Ice Rink to Wrigley Field. I'm also not at all sure that that the Ice Rink will survive to its 100 year anniversary, which Wrigley celebrated a few years back.

But there are some commonalities. It's certainly a throwback to the small town rinks from a couple of generations ago. With the right group of people, it can be loud and fun in there, even though the numbers aren't high in absolute terms. No bells & whistles? That can't be disputed. But for those who truly love the sport, the simplicity can be embraced. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.
          Thank you for the kind words about me being there for that on Friday. If there is anyone who still doesn't know who I am, just look for the dude setting there getting all emotional at that moment. I am going to try and get out at 4:30 or 5:00, and traffic permitting, that should get me down to the venerable OSU Ice Rink in time for the Frozen Four banner unveiling.

As for the venue, you know me, Pgb. I will be the first to admit that I have spent some time, perhaps too much time, woofing about the need for a new hockey arena. But, I agree with you on the simplicity, and what I like to refer to as, the intimacy of the OSU Ice Rink. I like being able to stand in the lobby and give each player a fist-bump on the way in, and also that we can all stand together in the lobby after the games, us Buckeye fans and the fans of the visiting team, and greet our players after the games. We will lose that intimacy with a new arena. Having said that, I will be the first in line for OSU Women's Hockey Season Tickets if it ever comes to that, as it probably would with a new arena.

Comment

I like being able to stand in the lobby and give each player a fist-bump on the way in, and also that we can all stand together in the lobby after the games, us Buckeye fans and the fans of the visiting team, and greet our players after the games. We will lose that intimacy with a new arena.
            That was probably the biggest change to get used to at Penn State when the Pegula Ice Arena was built. Like you, I loved being able to "atta girl" the players coming and going between periods, which was about the only thing to like at the old gloomy Greenberg Ice Pavilion...ugh. I sure can't complain about the new arena, but that interaction with the players is missed, for sure.

Comment

As for the venue, you know me, Pgb. I will be the first to admit that I have spent some time, perhaps too much time, woofing about the need for a new hockey arena. But, I agree with you on the simplicity, and what I like to refer to as, the intimacy of the OSU Ice Rink. I like being able to stand in the lobby and give each player a fist-bump on the way in, and also that we can all stand together in the lobby after the games, us Buckeye fans and the fans of the visiting team, and greet our players after the games. We will lose that intimacy with a new arena. Having said that, I will be the first in line for OSU Women's Hockey Season Tickets if it ever comes to that, as it probably would with a new arena.
              I have no real complaint about the views you've expressed. For my part, I've tried to be candid over the years regarding the shortcomings. The future needs to include a new facility.

Still, I choose to embrace both the past & the present. Then again, maybe it's not really a choice. I've had so much fun in that building over the years, a certain amount of loyalty to it is just part of me.

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
              That was probably the biggest change to get used to at Penn State when the Pegula Ice Arena was built. Like you, I loved being able to "atta girl" the players coming and going between periods, which was about the only thing to like at the old gloomy Greenberg Ice Pavilion...ugh. I sure can't complain about the new arena, but that interaction with the players is missed, for sure.
              Never made it to Greenburg, but it sounds similar to the Ice Rink. I wouldn't mind a story or two, if you have any to share...

Comment

Never made it to Greenburg, but it sounds similar to the Ice Rink. I wouldn't mind a story or two, if you have any to share...
                Well, to be fair, Greenberg wasn't horrible, but the lighting made it hard on photographers, and that's why I don't miss the place.

It was bleacher-style seating, on one side of the rink only, and this was when Penn State only had club hockey, not D-1. They would pack the place for hockey games, though! The "student section" used to crack me up with their pregame routine: when the opposing team was about to be introduced, the Penn State fans in the student section would raise newspapers up in front of their faces like they were too busy reading to listen to the other team's line up. It was funnier to see than it is to read about.

Comment

Well, to be fair, Greenberg wasn't horrible, but the lighting made it hard on photographers, and that's why I don't miss the place.
                  Gotcha.

One quirk at the Ice Rink is the low roof. A player can clear the zone with a legitimate lob, yet the puck can hit the low roof and suddenly be out-of-play. The same factor makes the overhead video replay cameras way too vulnerable to deflected pucks. The low roof isn't horrible either. But it is an oddity that you have to adapt to.

Now the pre-renovations Visitors' Locker Room -- that was horrible. As anyone who rented the ice in those years knows. Fortunately that situation was remedied before the Women's D-1 Program arrived. These days that space is used as a meeting room for Visiting Coaches. It's still spartan, but at least the square footage is appropriate for the current function.

It was bleacher-style seating, on one side of the rink only, and this was when Penn State only had club hockey, not D-1. They would pack the place for hockey games, though!
                  Again very similar. The Ice Rink has some seating behind one net, though a good chunk of it was lost with the ice surface was extend to regulation length.

The "student section" used to crack me up with their pregame routine: when the opposing team was about to be introduced, the Penn State fans in the student section would raise newspapers up in front of their faces like they were too busy reading to listen to the other team's line up. It was funnier to see than it is to read about.
                  I've seen that done at several venues. Yes, it's a visual gag. But it is funny. And more effective at the smaller, more intimate venues. Try that in the Upper Bowl at an NHL-sized arena, and it's far less noticeable.

It's another example of the familiar trade-off. At the small, old places, you're right in the thick of the action -- but usually on plain metal bleachers. At the "state of the art" facilities you often get a comfortable individual chair, yet run the risk of being more detached from the action. Of course the goal is to balance comfort and intimacy. But sometimes that's easier said than done.

Comment

Thank you for the stories about your previous arena. It does sound a lot like OSU Ice Rink. That is one thing I do like about our venue is being able to encourage our girls, as you say, "atta girl." I also enjoy all the postgame meet-n-greets. Having said that, though, we made the trip out to Pegula in the 2016-17 season for the games out there and your new arena is a palace. I sincerely hope we get something like that someday. I keep hearing it is in the works, but then I also hear from some that we will not be getting a new hockey arena as long as certain people are in power in the athletic department.

Comment

ZedLeppelin ... one other quick question ... how about a scouting report on our opponent this weekend since your team just played them?

Comment

ZedLeppelin ... one other quick question ... how about a scouting report on our opponent this weekend since your team just played them?
                        If I had to pick a Colgate player for Ohio State to be ready for, it would be Jessie Eldridge. Every time she got the puck with any space I expected something bad to happen. As far as a team opinion goes, I thought Colgate looked just a click off from making plays happen, but I think it was a "first series of the season" thing. That, and Penn State just played a smothering defense and it kept Colgate from setting very much up. They do like the front of the net, though.

Comment

According to twitter, looks like the Buckeyes are wearing their white jerseys? I like them! Yes a little Team Canada ish, but I prefer these to the grey ones, think the whites look so nice. Lookin sharp OSU.

Comment

A VERY intense finish for the OSU win, killing off a PP in the last two minutes and Colgate's goalie pulled for 6 on 4!
                            There were a LOT of on ice collisions with players for both sides going down but it looked like Colgate got the worst of it. I hope they're all OK but they'll all be feeling tonight's game when they play tomorrow!
                            Tried my best to give advise to the Colgate fans on where on God's earth there will be anywhere to park tomorrow with the football game right across the street.
                            The RV's will be hitting the lot there at sunup!

Comment

This game between two top ten teams really lived up to its billing. It was a great matchup between two of this season's heavyweights. Colgate opened the scoring on a goal by Shae Labbe in the first period. Less than two minutes later Ohio State's Tatum Skaggs found the back of the net to tie it at 1-1. Later in the first period, Bailey Larson scored on a breakaway to give the Raiders the lead at 2-1 and that is how the period ended. Ohio State imposed their will in the second period, outshooting Colgate 22-7 and outscoring them 3-1 to take a 4-3 lead into the third period. Ohio State's Rebecca Freiburger found the back of the net early in the second to knot the game at 2-2. Five minutes later, Charly Dahlquist scored for the Buckeyes to give them their first lead of the game at 3-2. The Raiders came right back with a Jessie Eldridge goal to tie the game at 3-3. Late in the second period, the Buckeyes' Lauren Boyle scored what turned out to be the game-winner which put the Buckeyes up 4-3. Neither team could find the back of the net in the third period and that is how it ended with Ohio State weathering a Colgate onslaught at the end to win 4-3. All goals were even strength goals. Both teams had four power plays but neither could dent the other's penalty kill unit. Ohio State won the shots on goal battle on this night 45-32 as well as face-offs 34-23. Buckeye goalie Amanda Zeglen stopped 29 of the 32 shots she faced tonight and Raider netminder Julia Vandyk stopped 41 of the 45 shots she faced.

As Hockeybuckeye alluded to, there is a home football game tomorrow, so unfortunately, it will cost $20 for parking, and that parking will not be next to the OSU Ice Rink. Here is a link to the football parking map for those coming in from out of town.

http://osu.campusparc.com/docs/defau...p.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Tomorrow's game starts at 3:07 pm. For those who don't mind coming a little early, I would suggest checking out Skull Session next door at St. John Arena. Skull Session should start around 1:30 or possibly a little later.

Comment

The heart stopping moment of the game was in the third when the puck slipped past OSU's goalie and was in the crease behind her slowly sliding towards the goal line and she had no idea where it was! She must have gotten a clue by the noise that came out of the crowd and an OSU and a Colgate player were trying to get to it simultaneously. Don't know how that thing didn't go in!
                                I thought Zeglen did a great job of sealing the post when Colgate had opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                                X