Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    And the above post is why I shall refer back to my quote. *sigh*

And yeah, many depts DON'T have the budgets nor the resources to investigate some stuff, which leads me back to my opinion we need more cops and money (and again, properly trained) to get some stuff done.
    We don't need more cops, but better resources for more training for sure. Police departments short on personnel could help themselves by not using spending time trying to take down Dime Bag Johnny's and Trickster Jane and instead focus their resources on more hard core crimes. Note the above wouldn't refer to bigger operations such as large meth labs.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I have told this story multiple times so I apologize if you heard it before:

Years ago my dad ran a small business. The numbers never seemed right and since I was technically part of the business I looked at the books. Small checks were being written and cashed with forged signatures. I think we found like 8-10k total over the course of a year. We knew who did it, where they were and had copies of the forged checks. The bank was going to refund the money but first they wanted us to talk to the local cops and get them to sign off on something. (honestly cant remember what)

My dad and I walk in to the PD and talk to a couple of detectives. We hand them all the evidence they need. (my father at one time was an attorney so he knew how to play it) They sat there with blank looks on their faces nodding every so often but obviously not caring. When we were done they basically told us they dont have the time or resources to deal with this and we should just do what we need to do with the bank and be done with it. Now mind you, this was not some small town PD or something, this was a pretty well off suburb where our property taxes werent exactly low. Hell the person (who had previous crimes on their record for similar crimes) was not 1 mile away and wasnt even denying they did it! Nope. They pushed us on our way with whatever we needed from the bank and that was it.
      Is there any special designation for cops/detectives who deal with White Collar crime? I'm thinking something along the lines of a Conservation Police Officer who works for a State's Department of Natural Resources.

With DNR Cops, they are fully capable of enforcing any law, but are specifically trained in regards to Outdoors Law matters. How do the various police organizations handle stuff like this? The Feds seem to have people like Forensic Accountants on staff. Do local entities just hire someone in that field as a "consultant"?
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        Is there any special designation for cops/detectives who deal with White Collar crime? I'm thinking something along the lines of a Conservation Police Officer who works for a State's Department of Natural Resources.

With DNR Cops, they are fully capable of enforcing any law, but are specifically trained in regards to Outdoors Law matters. How do the various police organizations handle stuff like this? The Feds seem to have people like Forensic Accountants on staff. Do local entities just hire someone in that field as a "consultant"?
        In big cities, they will have white collar crimes divisions, but not in a suburb such as where Handy says he's lived. The cops in a suburb would take the case and move it up to another department for assistance if the case were big enough, otherwise they'll tell you to pound sand.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          In big cities, they will have white collar crimes divisions, but not in a suburb such as where Handy says he's lived. The cops in a suburb would take the case and move it up to another department for assistance if the case were big enough, otherwise they'll tell you to pound sand.
          Pretty much. When I say more cops, it doesn't necessarily mean on the street. Some areas, sure. Some other areas (behind the scenes, like white collar), definitely.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Edina cops shot a guy with a knife last night after he live streamed the chase.
            Protestors now blocking 494 in Richfield.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...olice-shooting

Comment

I won't say excessive force or not. I'm guessing more details will come out. On the surface, it seems excessive is in play.

Now, he led police on a chase, and also live-streamed (against the hands-free law), and we don't know his criminal background, if any is applicable. He ignored warnings to drop the knife (that was not smart of him), and now he's dead.

I repeat, on the surface? Cops over-reacted hard-core, BUT, will reserve overall judgement until more details emerge.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                I have told this story multiple times so I apologize if you heard it before:

Years ago my dad ran a small business. The numbers never seemed right and since I was technically part of the business I looked at the books. Small checks were being written and cashed with forged signatures. I think we found like 8-10k total over the course of a year. We knew who did it, where they were and had copies of the forged checks. The bank was going to refund the money but first they wanted us to talk to the local cops and get them to sign off on something. (honestly cant remember what)

My dad and I walk in to the PD and talk to a couple of detectives. We hand them all the evidence they need. (my father at one time was an attorney so he knew how to play it) They sat there with blank looks on their faces nodding every so often but obviously not caring. When we were done they basically told us they dont have the time or resources to deal with this and we should just do what we need to do with the bank and be done with it. Now mind you, this was not some small town PD or something, this was a pretty well off suburb where our property taxes werent exactly low. Hell the person (who had previous crimes on their record for similar crimes) was not 1 mile away and wasnt even denying they did it! Nope. They pushed us on our way with whatever we needed from the bank and that was it.
                Typical. Sounds like when my parents were robbed when I was a kid. They did nothing.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Typical. Sounds like when my parents were robbed when I was a kid. They did nothing.
                  Robberies, break-ins (house or car) are pretty low priority.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    I won't say excessive force or not. I'm guessing more details will come out. On the surface, it seems excessive is in play.

Now, he led police on a chase, and also live-streamed (against the hands-free law), and we don't know his criminal background, if any is applicable. He ignored warnings to drop the knife (that was not smart of him), and now he's dead.

I repeat, on the surface? Cops over-reacted hard-core, BUT, will reserve overall judgement until more details emerge.
                    On the surface this looks like suicide by cop.

On a different note, the Sunday Boston Globe ran a story about the 1919 Boston Police strike. Very very good read.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...hvM/story.html
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

You're doing it again, Rube. Your first paragraph seems a fair, measured response, but by the second you qualify another tragic incident of cops killing someone by noting he was breaking the hands-free driving laws and we don't know his criminal background. Who cares about these things? You don't deserve summary execution because you committed a traffic offense, and if we don't know about the guy's criminal background, neither do the cops. The assumption should not be they needed to be so scared for their lives that using lethal force was pulled out of their bag of tricks the first chance they got.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        "Suicide by cop" has been a thing long enough now that it is a shame that we have not yet demanded of our law enforcers a more effective way of dealing with suicidal people. Too bad we hire so many cops who only seem too eager to help facilitate a suicidal individual in his or her desire to complete suicide, instead of hiring people who think their real job should be finding a way to help the suicidal person realize that suicide doesn't end the pain, it only transfers it to their family and friends.

If the person is brandishing a firearm, and certainly if they are firing it, I don't expect the average cop in 2019 to consider dealing with that in anything other than potentially lethal force, (I don't necessarily condone it, I just know I am asking the impossible of most cops nowadays) but a knife? As long as I am further away than you can throw it with any force at all (what would that be with most knives? And fvck the "21 foot rule," that is a myth created by cops to falsely justify unnecessary lethal responses) I am in no immediate danger from someone with a knife.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          This shouldn't be a thing, that's the problem. It's just a narrative peddled by the cops when they have to justify shooting an unarmed person.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                            You're doing it again, Rube. Your first paragraph seems a fair, measured response, but by the second you qualify another tragic incident of cops killing someone by noting he was breaking the hands-free driving laws and we don't know his criminal background. Who cares about these things? You don't deserve summary execution because you committed a traffic offense, and if we don't know about the guy's criminal background, neither do the cops. The assumption should not be they needed to be so scared for their lives that using lethal force was pulled out of their bag of tricks the first chance they got.
                            If he has a clean record, he could be mentally ill, or had a moment of mentality lapse. He could have a history of mental illness, or drugs (which after a recent incident, where the suspect was tased 2-3 times, showed no effect, then the police shot the guy). If he's a repeat offender, particularly with a violent background, he could have a gun on him, along with the knife he already presented. Each situation is different. As I said, right now, I'm leaning towards excessive force.

We all can lean one way or the other right now, and neither way is incorrect, yet. Need all the details.

Comment

If he has a clean record, he could be mentally ill, or had a moment of mentality lapse. He could have a history of mental illness, or drugs (which after a recent incident, where the suspect was tased 2-3 times, showed no effect, then the police shot the guy). If he's a repeat offender, particularly with a violent background, he could have a gun on him, along with the knife he already presented. Each situation is different. As I said, right now, I'm leaning towards excessive force.

We all can lean one way or the other right now, and neither way is incorrect, yet. Need all the details.
                              I'm not taking issue with your comments along the lines of needing all the details before final judgment, I'm taking issue with your inability to keep from qualifying everything from just one side. Sure, maybe the cops acted with unnecessary force, but what if the guy was nuts? Or had a gun? Or a criminal record? You always want to qualify it in some way that gives the cops the excuses they so often need to explain yet another incident of killing someone. It's like you can't process things without introducing the notion that the cops probably acted rationally. The cops get the benefit of your doubt every time. It's a shame but I believe it stems from having close relatives who are cops.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                                I'm not taking issue with your comments along the lines of needing all the details before final judgment, I'm taking issue with your inability to keep from qualifying everything from just one side. Sure, maybe the cops acted with unnecessary force, but what if the guy was nuts? Or had a gun? Or a criminal record? You always want to qualify it in some way that gives the cops the excuses they so often need to explain yet another incident of killing someone. It's like you can't process things without introducing the notion that the cops probably acted rationally. The cops get the benefit of your doubt every time. It's a shame but I believe it stems from having close relatives who are cops.
                                Isn't part of it also a "devils advocate" argument? On any number of issues you have no difficulty finding people on this board who will argue in favor of a certain position. Cop shootings is obviously one of them. If there is a cop shooting and there is any question at all as to the legitimacy of it, there will be 10 posters here offering arguments against the cop. There will be almost no one offering any arguments that the cop might make in his own defense.

I personally find myself sometimes offering up an explanation for something that goes against the common creed on this board in instances where I think that argument needs to be made, even if privately I tend to agree with the group think on the subject.
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X