Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    Huh. My line of work isn't even top 25, and police officers is 18th.

Article from Jan of this year:
    https://www.ajc.com/news/world/these...JG6m0P4SCrXuN/
    18th proves the point that it isnt as dangerous a job as you think.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      I have only said that *my* job is safer than being an officer. I never claimed it was the most dangerous.

And ND: I've been in my industry for 25+ years. I also know what I'm talking about.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Often, police officers killed in the line of duty died because they did not follow safe practices. You'd be surprised how often that happens.

Many die in vehicle accidents simply because they were not wearing seatbelts. In 2013 14 police officers who died in traffic accidents weren't wearing seatbelts.

In 2003 two Mishawaka Indiana cops were killed responding to reports of an armed robbery. The suspect was clearly identified and had ripped off a necklace from the neck of a victim. Then he pulled out a handgun and fired off a few rounds into the air. Within minutes the two officers traced him to a home not far from the site of the robbery. They simply walked up to the house and were shot on the porch. One was a 14 year veteran and the other had over 2 years so was hardly a "rookie." They KNEW the suspect had committed a violent crime, they knew he was armed and fired off rounds. Yet they walked up on the porch putting themselves in an extremely vulnerable position. Why? Had they followed established protocol and taken even the simplest precautions they would not have been shot like they were. They knew the guy was in there and he was armed. They could have waited him out. They could have waited for more officers to arrive. The 14 year veteran bumbled his way into getting himself and the other officer killed.

In 2001 an Elkhart Indiana police officer was killed in a traffic accident when his cruiser collided with another officer's. He wasn't wearing his seatbelt and was knocked out of his car. Wear your seatbelt for God's sake.

Dangerous job? Maybe. Probably. Why make it more dangerous by making stupid, preventable mistakes?

Comment

I have only said that *my* job is safer than being an officer. I never claimed it was the most dangerous.

And ND: I've been in my industry for 25+ years. I also know what I'm talking about.
          If you've been in your industry for 25+ years and for 18 years at your current employer, based on an earlier post of yours you are underpaid. Get a union, get a better union, or tell your union to hire me. In my current assignment I have secured better contracts than what was replaced in every instance, and in all I have negotiated better raises than the weighted average of our entire 3 state union.

Comment

I am not union. I do get great health insurance, a very solid retirement plan, and right now pulling in 6+ weeks vacation per year. Sometimes it's not just about the base pay.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
              Often, police officers killed in the line of duty died because they did not follow safe practices. You'd be surprised how often that happens.
              Like speeding when they're not trying to pull someone over or going to the scene of an emergency? Happens all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                Like speeding when they're not trying to pull someone over or going to the scene of an emergency? Happens all the time.
                I've seen more than a few highway patrolmen go under the speed limit by 5+ mph on the interstate, trolling people. Many think it's illegal to pass an officer. Wrong. I laugh as I pass the trooper at the speed limit, knowing what he's doing.

Comment

I've seen more than a few highway patrolmen go under the speed limit by 5+ mph on the interstate, trolling people. Many think it's illegal to pass an officer. Wrong. I laugh as I pass the trooper at the speed limit, knowing what he's doing.
                  Oh yes, I've seen that too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Sweet! I'm #12!

(And 13, 16, and 19 as an engineer who oversees that work being performed.)
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I travel between Columbus and Cleveland on I-71 for work fairly regularly. There's an Ohio revenue man (Ohio Highway patrol troopers HATE being called that) who regularly cruises north at about 68 MPH (limit is 70 MPH), and always in the far left lane. The first time I witnessed this the backup had to be a mile long at least and it took 25 minutes to find enough open spaces in the traffic to weave to the front and see what the hold up was. This is a three lane highway and that is such a dick move by a dick cop. I've encountered him 5 or 6 times since and usually when I get to him and go by, I flip him off. I hope someday he's dumb enough to pull me over for doing that, I really do, but sadly I am a middle aged middle class white male.

Comment

I travel between Columbus and Cleveland on I-71 for work fairly regularly. There's an Ohio revenue man (Ohio Highway patrol troopers HATE being called that) who regularly cruises north at about 68 MPH (limit is 70 MPH), and always in the far left lane. The first time I witnessed this the backup had to be a mile long at least and it took 25 minutes to find enough open spaces in the traffic to weave to the front and see what the hold up was. This is a three lane highway and that is such a dick move by a dick cop. I've encountered him 5 or 6 times since and usually when I get to him and go by, I flip him off. I hope someday he's dumb enough to pull me over for doing that, I really do, but sadly I am a middle aged middle class white male.
                        Why flip him off? It's the idiots behind him that won't pass.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I watched a Minneapolis cop pull out of the downtown cop shop, make a right turn to go the wrong way on a one-way street (4th Ave S), flip on his lights, turn left to travel down a lane of road that's restricted to mass transit (4th St S), and then turn off his lights to go along his merry way. And he did it like it was his routine, not something extraordinary.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Why flip him off? It's the idiots behind him that won't pass.
                            Because the idiots behind him are scared or confused, don't know the law, and aren't being dicks. The revenue man is being a dick. I flip him off because running him off the road and into a ditch would be frowned upon, even though he's an overpaid meter maid who would deserve it.

Comment

Because the idiots behind him are scared or confused, don't know the law, and aren't being dicks. The revenue man is being a dick. I flip him off because running him off the road and into a ditch would be frowned upon, even though he's an overpaid meter maid who would deserve it.
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, folks, is what I'm talking about. The bad attitude towards cops. Don't blame people who don't know the laws, just blame the cops. It's easier that way.

Edit: ignorance of the law does not excuse the breaking of it.
                              Last edited by The Rube; 07-27-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I am never gonna pass a cop. My initial assessment of a cop is he's a power tripping Dumpy who couldn't cut it as a gym coach. Now, sure, I could be wrong, but why take the chance?

Profiling. It's your friend.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X