Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cops 6: The More You Pay, The Faster We'll Come!

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Devil's advocate: Van Dike destroyed McDonald's family. Why should Van Dike's family be spared?
    Because we don't live by Hammurabi's Code in 21st century America?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      Because we don't live by Hammurabi's Code in 21st century America?
      I'm all for an Eye For An Eye. Cop did wrong, cop is paying for it. His family shouldn't.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        I'm all for an Eye For An Eye. Cop did wrong, cop is paying for it. His family shouldn't.
        Prison time is not Eye for an Eye. If we followed that system, we would have already executed the cop, and probably given his family to the McDonalds as slaves.

Comment

Prison time is not Eye for an Eye. If we followed that system, we would have already executed the cop, and probably given his family to the McDonalds as slaves.
          I'd be okay with executing the cop. Don't mess with the family. They had nothing to do with it.

Edit: some would argue prison time is worse. I don't agree with that, but could be convinced, depending on solitary/etc.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

The only people who advocate eye for an eye in the 21st century are savages.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Edit: some would argue prison time is worse. I don't agree with that, but could be convinced, depending on solitary/etc.
              The argument can be made with American max prisons, yes. Not so much in low security or a lot of prison systems in the rest of the "civilized" world.
              Last edited by state of hockey; 10-05-2018, 11:44 PM.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                The argument can be made with American max prisons, yes. Not so much in low security or a lot of prisons systems in the rest of the "civilized" world.
                Fair point.

Comment

The argument can be made with American max prisons, yes. Not so much in low security or a lot of prisons systems in the rest of the "civilized" world.
                  I was about to say you might want to watch a Russian prison doc one of these days, but then you said "civilized", so...

Comment

I was about to say you might want to watch a Russian prison doc one of these days, but then you said "civilized", so...
                    Russia keeps finding a way to be the exception that proves a rule.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Russia keeps finding a way to be the exception that proves a rule.
                      JFC yes. And I know some things about Russian stuff. No, not from experience, you fools.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        Someone pointed out that each aggravated battery charge are six year minimums to be served consecutively, not concurrently, which is a minimum of 96 years. This allows his wife and kids to receive his pension while he effectively serves a life sentence.
                        He's not going to spend the rest of his life in prison. Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          He's not going to spend the rest of his life in prison. Not even close.
                          If I am reading it correctly, 4-6 years in solitary? That's gonna sting.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            If that gets taken away, you set a precedent that will be far reaching. And IMHO, that is a precedent for the better...

More than a few Chicago cops like to make it known how much they make. There is also a sizable crossover of those guys with those who use their guns & power over others as a d*ck enhancer. Show that if they act reckless and they will get kicked off the gravy train, you might get a few to take notice of their actions.
                            So cops don't think about not committing murder because even though they might end up in prison their wives will still get paid?

There is zero reason to punish the wife unless say in a cop that was committing crimes she was aware of and said nothing. You dissuade cops from committing crimes by putting them in effing jail when caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              So cops don't think about not committing murder because even though they might end up in prison their wives will still get paid?

There is zero reason to punish the wife unless say in a cop that was committing crimes she was aware of and said nothing. You dissuade cops from committing crimes by putting them in effing jail when caught.
                              I’ve been mulling RaceBoarder’s post over and I think I came to the same conclusion as you did.

These cops who are out there shooting unarmed people aren’t going to be dissuaded by his family getting punished after the fact. They are damaged goods.

To think that they’re going to pause before unloading an entire clip into an unarmed black man and ask, “Will this hurt my family?” That’s kind of absurd, right? At that moment there’s is no pausing. The adrenaline is flowing like a dam burst. Rationality isn’t going to happen.

The only way you prevent this is stop hiring racists and military hotheads who have been trained to have a completely different set of ROEs. They don’t teach the type of deescalation needed for civilian law enforcement in the military. Sure, some of them are going to come back and understand the difference, there some of them aren’t.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Devil's Advocate response: why destroy MORE lives? The buck has to stop somewhere. Someone has to be the bigger person.

And Fade's post was indeed an intelligent one.
                                Bills of attainder and bills of pain were one of the things our founding fathers understood from the beginning should be prohibited, even before the Bill of Rights. If the victim's family wishes to bring a civil action seeking money damages, they can, and any successful money judgment would have an effect on the perp's family. Pension plans might be protected under bankruptcy laws, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                                X