X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread: Less Talk, More Rock

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    The thing is, a lot of it wasn't terrible music. Just a lot of the terrible music was what was popular. As with any other decade.

And that's the stuff people remember of the 80's.
    I think you've misunderstood me. I like the popular stuff, and also some of the "underground" stuff.

You will never convince me that several 80s songs aren't the "best, worst songs" ever.

I can like Husker Du and Skid Row in the same breath (but not Whitesnake - they sucked total balls).

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      'Born in the USA' is a song that tells the story about an economically disadvantaged young man who gets into trouble, a judge sentences him to military service, and the service sends him to Vietnam to fight the war. It's something that truly did happen, and more than we as a nation would like to admit.

Are you calling it soulless because later on politicians would only pick out the chorus, thinking it's a patriotic tune, and proceed to use it in their campaign rallies?
      You are correct. But that isn't just my opinion, but rather that of society and mirrored a chunk of the other 80s pop music out there at the time.

But again, I'm a big fan of the 80s as much of the music outside of the obvious was fantastic.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

The thing is, a lot of it wasn't terrible music. Just a lot of the terrible music was what was popular. As with any other decade.

And that's the stuff people remember of the 80's.
        This. I mean, the best of Metallica happened in the 80s...but was never popular with the general audience until wayyyyyy later. And Justice For All (and their first video "One") is what it took. A lot of the most popular stuff was 1980s Suck-Rock. Whatever was on the radio (or MTV), and those media outlets were very selective.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Counterpoint: U2
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
            I mean, the best of Metallica happened in the 80s...but was never popular with the general audience until wayyyyyy later. And Justice For All (and their first video "One") is what it took.
            This.

Comment

Alternative music blew up in the 80's and is why music doesn't completely suck to this day. Although their origins go back further, Rap & Hip Hop also started growing in the 80's basically out of nowhere. It also killed disco and the hair metal s**t led to grunge.
              Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-23-2019, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Alternative music blew up in the 80's and is why music doesn't completely suck to this day. Although their origins go back further, Rap & Hip Hop also started growing in the 80's basically out of nowhere. It also killed disco and the hair metal s**t led to grunge.
                I still like some of that hair metal sh*! Ok, Winger can go to hell, along with a lot of the other hair metal blahs, but the ones that really hit it...they can stay. Obv rap.....

Fair point about U2, although that also allowed Bono to become a complete arrogant doosh. I don't mind U2, but they are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I still like some of that hair metal sh*! Ok, Winger can go to hell, along with a lot of the other hair metal blahs, but the ones that really hit it...they can stay. Obv rap.....

Fair point about U2, although that also allowed Bono to become a complete arrogant doosh. I don't mind U2, but they are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.
                  Uh, who said they are and if even if they aren't they still kicked *** for 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Uh, who said they are and if even if they aren't they still kicked *** for 20 years.
                    I'm just stating my opinion about U2, not claiming anyone here said it.....easy there, Mad Dog. They're good....not great, IMO.

Comment

Hair bands did not "lead" to grunge, they merely contributed. To say otherwise is fake news.

Also, outside of a couple songs, U2 has always sucked, and will continue to suck for as long as I live.
                      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 03-23-2019, 03:51 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                        Counterpoint: U2
                        U2 has sucked since the 80s. Although I guess Achtung Baby was what, 91, 92? Ever since though........
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Hair bands did not "lead" to grunge, they merely contributed. To say otherwise is fake news.

Also, outside of a couple songs, U2 has always sucked, and will continue to suck for as long as I live.
                          No, they led to grunge, in that grunge was a complete repudiation of that dreadful time in American music.

Comment

No, they led to grunge, in that grunge was a complete repudiation of that dreadful time in American music.
                            I agree they led to grunge, much as punk/new wave led to hair metal. Just watched "The Dirt" last night, and Crue was correct: punk was minimalist, so hair metal bands went in the opposite direction and went balls-out. Grunge bands saw this, and they went back to minimalist.

One thing that bothered me, though, is that some bands got lumped into the "grunge" genre, when they weren't really grunge at all (Pearl Jam and Soundgarden being two of those bands). Some bands were just plain ol' rock'n'roll.

Comment

U2 has sucked since the 80s. Although I guess Achtung Baby was what, 91, 92? Ever since though........
                              I hated Zooropa and Pop but All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000) was brilliant and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb was actually ok.

And I'm saying that as someone that bought War on vinyl the same year it was released and stood in line for 2 days (back in the day when you had to do that at the Daytons ticket office on Nicollete Ave. in downtown Mpls) to get tickets for their Joshua Tree shows in Mpls.

Correct. Not sure how that relationship was missed.

I'm just stating my opinion about U2, not claiming anyone here said it.....easy there, Mad Dog. They're good....not great, IMO.
                              lolwut? I didn't say they were the greatest thing since sliced bread I asked who claimed they were.
                              Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-23-2019, 10:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post

One thing that bothered me, though, is that some bands got lumped into the "grunge" genre, when they weren't really grunge at all (Pearl Jam and Soundgarden being two of those bands).
                                Wrong. They got labelled as grunge for a reason. That they would later go on and transcend those labels is beside the point.

Tom Petty was labelled as New Wave. Listen to those first two albums. Absolutely appropriate. Even Damm the Torpedoes,really.

Comment

Working...
                                X