X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I am a "young" one here and I was born in 1974.
    No offense to you but this scares me about our sport. I'm one of what feels like very few regular posters under 30 over on GPL. We probably get one "kid" from each graduating class that signs up... Yes people will say they are not on message boards, but they aren't on Instagram and Facebook talking about college hockey.

The demographics of STH when I look around in Mariucci are... old. I don't see the next generation of fans lined up to take over those spots. They come out of college in debt up to their eyeballs (I was, too, and getting season tickets was my one big splurge every year), and with the prices too high already of course they're not buying ST.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      No offense to you but this scares me about our sport. I'm one of what feels like very few regular posters under 30 over on GPL. We probably get one "kid" from each graduating class that signs up... Yes people will say they are not on message boards, but they aren't on Instagram and Facebook talking about college hockey.

The demographics of STH when I look around in Mariucci are... old. I don't see the next generation of fans lined up to take over those spots. They come out of college in debt up to their eyeballs (I was, too, and getting season tickets was my one big splurge every year), and with the prices too high already of course they're not buying ST.
      My kids are 96, 98, 00....I am a 68. My oldest and youngest are a bigtime UW hockey fans, so there is some hope for the youth to be and stay interested. Interestingly the women's hockey demographic is 2-80. Obviously the women's game is very affordable to families and older folks on fixed incomes. I will say that you don't see a lot of 20ish to 30ish folks there without kids.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I will say that you don't see a lot of 20ish to 30ish folks there without kids.
        Yes, I was born in 96, so I am guessing I am probably one of the younger ones here I have the same thoughts regarding college students/20 somethings attending games. I was basically the only person in my friend group who followed the team seriously during my time at UW. A lot of people I knew would go to a handful of games a year just for the experience but weren't interested in following the team in any capacity beyond that. I haven't followed Badger Hockey or college hockey in general for very long so I don't have anything to compare the last few year to, but from what I gathered a lot of people were turned off by the team's lack of success (Eaves' last year as a coach was my freshman year) or the relative success of the football team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mack1996 View Post
          Yes, I was born in 96, so I am guessing I am probably one of the younger ones here I have the same thoughts regarding college students/20 somethings attending games. I was basically the only person in my friend group who followed the team seriously during my time at UW. A lot of people I knew would go to a handful of games a year just for the experience but weren't interested in following the team in any capacity beyond that. I haven't followed Badger Hockey or college hockey in general for very long so I don't have anything to compare the last few year to, but from what I gathered a lot of people were turned off by the team's lack of success (Eaves' last year as a coach was my freshman year) or the relative success of the football team.
          Welcome kid, errr, Mack.

"My name is Rich and Im a lifelong Badger Hockaholic". You'll get a lot of opinions and facts here, but not much bull****.

To keep it in perspective, I played AGAINST Bobby Suter & Mark Johnson in high school. I have officiated a little, coached for about 5 years, and have a son who played at the AAA level thru' midgets, and a little beyond. Until about 2010, I was WAY TOO deep into hockey analysis that I couldn't enjoy a good game. I know for a fact I posted WAY back here that I was done analyzing games. I have enjoyed the best game on earth immensely since then!

Don't get too much into it that you don't enjoy the games and just bore other people! Learn from the old ****ers! Oh, and by the way, you sure missed out on one helluva program in the 70s, 80s and 90s!
          Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-26-2019, 11:27 PM.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Holy cow, there's someone my age here! Welcome Mack! Don't let the old farts scare ya!

Comment

• Next Friday is the Tier 1 Championships in Fond du Lac. I have plans to catch a few games Friday before I have to head out of town to my daughter's U12 State Hockey Tournament in Black River Falls. I'll get to see all four Boys U14's-Admirals, Team Wisconsin, Caps and Gamblers and TW U16 vs. Gamblers with future Badgers Mann and Roepke on TW. Paul Caufield, Brock and Cole's father, is an Assistant for TW U16.

Unfortunately I won't get to see Urdahl and Stange play with TW U18. Jake Osiecki is on that team as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mack1996 View Post
                Hey guys!

I'm a newly minted UW grad who started following Badger hockey a year or two ago. I got really into the recruiting/incoming class side of the game and made up my own incoming recruits spreadsheet (which I see you guys have as well). I'm pretty excited that I found this thread and that there are actually people out there as into this stuff as I am!
                Welcome, Mack. Glad to see someone else jumping into the boards. I'm a '74 with kids who are '03 and '07.

Always glad for help on the spreadsheet. The one I am doing now is a continuation of one that used to be done by someone that moved on to bigger and better things in the hockey world. Always glad for suggestions and tips though.
                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                  Next Friday is the Tier 1 Championships in Fond du Lac. I have plans to catch a few games Friday before I have to head out of town to my daughter's U12 State Hockey Tournament in Black River Falls.
                  Good luck to little DPlaya. I really miss those days! Maybe a lady Badger in 6 years!

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

I appreciate the welcome guys! I've attached the link to my spreadsheet, feel free to take a look. My spreadsheet is more geared toward how the guys in the pipeline are performing in their respective leagues this year. Its definitely not perfect, as I couldn't find stats for some players and some of the entrance years are off.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

I appreciate the welcome guys! I've attached the link to my spreadsheet, feel free to take a look. My spreadsheet is more geared toward how the guys in the pipeline are performing in their respective leagues this year. Its definitely not perfect, as I couldn't find stats for some players and some of the entrance years are off.

Nice work. I have mine as part of my signature just to make it easier for people to see it. (Of course I just found this doesn't show up on mobile, annoyingly.)
                      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Patrick Keegan info at Cushing in NE prep:

https://www.neutralzone.net/prep-men...ck-keegan-127/

You can also search this site for other NE prep players, although I realize UW doesn't recruit a lot out east.

Comment

• Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                          Patrick Keegan info at Cushing in NE prep:

https://www.neutralzone.net/prep-men...ck-keegan-127/

You can also search this site for other NE prep players, although I realize UW doesn't recruit a lot out east.
                          Thank you, Mrs. Keegan! 😉😁

....and welcome; I don't recall seeing you post! Seriously, you are correct about Coasties coming here. I hope Patrick is solid; we need defensemen.
                          Last edited by MadCityRich; 02-27-2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            Thank you, Mrs. Keegan! 😉😁

....and welcome; I don't recall seeing you post! Seriously, you are correct about Coasties coming here. I hope Patrick is solid; we need defensemen.
                            I watched one of Keegan's games a couple weeks ago. Good skater, looks bigger and heavier than he's even listed (6'3 - 235) but that could be because he's playing preps. Dominates puck battles behind the net and plays a simple game. Reminds me a lot of a heavier Eddie Wittchow. He's raw still, but there's a lot of potential there.

Elsewhere Dylan Holloway has won the Old Time Hockey Players Trophy as the AJHL MVP. Kind of a stunning accomplishment for a kid not yet in his draft year as the AJHL is usually dominated by 20 year olds. I believe the last guy to do that was Dany Heatley who, of course, went on to be drafted #2 overall after his freshman year as a Badger. In 2017 Cale Makar was the MVP in his draft year where he went #4 overall. He now is a soph with 11g-25a-36pts from the blue line for #2 ranked UMASS.
                            Originally posted by WiscTJK
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                            Originally posted by Timothy A
                            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Future Badgers Ethan Mann with a goal and an assist, and Casey Roepke with an assist on the GWG halfway through the third, as USM hangs on to defeat Onalaska 4-3 in the state quarterfinal today.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                I watched one of Keegan's games a couple weeks ago. Good skater, looks bigger and heavier than he's even listed (6'3 - 235) but that could be because he's playing preps. Dominates puck battles behind the net and plays a simple game. Reminds me a lot of a heavier Eddie Wittchow. He's raw still, but there's a lot of potential there.

Elsewhere Dylan Holloway has won the Old Time Hockey Players Trophy as the AJHL MVP. Kind of a stunning accomplishment for a kid not yet in his draft year as the AJHL is usually dominated by 20 year olds. I believe the last guy to do that was Dany Heatley who, of course, went on to be drafted #2 overall after his freshman year as a Badger.
                                I seriously cannot wait for next year. It's going to be CRAZY.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X