X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

https://***********/JeffCoxSports/st...86955174367237
    gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Wisconsin has a different English as a Foreign Language requirement than other schools do?

Bizarre.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
        Wisconsin has a different English as a Foreign Language requirement than other schools do?

Bizarre.
        BU has one of the most international populations of any school in the country. I wonder if that somehow gives them the means to provide assistance to students in a certain score range.

The TOEFL is what kept Max Letunov from getting into BU, so there is a standard that has to be met, I guess it is just lower than at UW.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
          BU has one of the most international populations of any school in the country. I wonder if that somehow gives them the means to provide assistance to students in a certain score range.

The TOEFL is what kept Max Letunov from getting into BU, so there is a standard that has to be met, I guess it is just lower than at UW.
          If this is the case it's a bunch of bull****. Im sure the kid speaks and understands English well enough to get through class. I bet there are literally hundreds of admitted students that somehow get a pass with an unacceptable TOEFL score. These kids from Nordic countries speak better English than most Americans. Unfukkenbelievable.
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

BU does have a giant Chinese student enrollment, but I doubt that BU has any more means to provide assistance to foreign students then a huge school like UW does. Especially for athletes who have tutors assigned anyway. BU's TOEFL requirement score is 90-100, UW's is 95-105, but the main difference is that the BU admissions board can just waive the requirement on a case by case basis. UW rules don't provide for anything like that.

We should keep in mind that the Minnesota score requirement is 79 and NoDak is 70. Seems possible that BU shot to the top of the rumor mill mainly on the strength of Tkachuk's signing with the Senators.

Sampo speaks English quite well, by the way.. He's also completed his last two years of HS in the US and has done well enough in class and on testing to meet UW's relatively high admissions requirements otherwise. To me, if Sampo ends up elsewhere solely because of TOEFL score, it's a massive failure on the part of the UW staff and also to some extent, Sampo's advisor. Like most all schools, UW also accepts a passing grade from an accredited College or University in a freshman level English Comp course. Getting that would have been simple with proper planning.

Sampo has all the tools to be a college superstar, and while this would be very bad this year, it's terrible for next year when UW could be really loaded for a serious run.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              ... To me, if Sampo ends up elsewhere solely because of TOEFL score, it's a massive failure on the part of the UW staff and also to some extent, Sampo's advisor. ...

Sampo has all the tools to be a college superstar, and while this would be very bad this year, it's terrible for next year when UW could be really loaded for a serious run.
              Absolutely agree with you on this. I'm with Wisko again.... Who would have thought that was possible?
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

BU's TOEFL requirement score is 90-100, UW's is 95-105. We should keep in mind that the Minnesota score requirement is 79 and NoDak is 70.
                That's purely comical. Shouldn't all the B6 uni's have the same TOEFL? Isn't it all about the academic excellence of the conference? What a joke.

When ARD got to UW, she barely spoke English, I can't imagine she scored a 95......
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  That's purely comical. Shouldn't all the B6 uni's have the same TOEFL? Isn't it all about the academic excellence of the conference? What a joke.

When ARD got to UW, she barely spoke English, I can't imagine she scored a 95......
                  It's generally much harder to get into Northwestern than UW, and much harder to get into UW than Iowa, for example. Admission requirements vary a great deal throughout the conference. That's not new.

With ARD, speaking is only one quarter of the test. Listening, reading, and writing are 75%. A person could be below average on speaking but excellent on the rest and be fine. The other thing is, wasn't she 19 or 20 her first year? As I said before, a person simply has to receive a passing grade from an accredited school in English Comp and the TOEFL goes away. ARD had plenty of time to do so, although I don't know if she did.

It's frustrating as heck but unless UW just raised the requirement last week, (they didn't) the requirement isn't really the problem. They've all known for 2 years that Sampo would have to meet UW admissions. Why, especially once he signed his NLI, wasn't someone holding his hand on this stuff? Classes are 3 freakin' weeks away!
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Sampo speaks English quite well, by the way.. He's also completed his last two years of HS in the US and has done well enough in class and on testing to meet UW's relatively high admissions requirements otherwise. To me, if Sampo ends up elsewhere solely because of TOEFL score, it's a massive failure on the part of the UW staff and also to some extent, Sampo's advisor. Like most all schools, UW also accepts a passing grade from an accredited College or University in a freshman level English Comp course. Getting that would have been simple with proper planning.
                    This really makes the coaching staff look bad. I'd even go as far to say that it makes the whole athletic department look bad. I would have to think that somebody should be tracking qualification/entry status for recruits in every sport

Comment

Thanks for all the insight into TOEFL testing. I knew next to nothing about it, including the scores required. That is a pretty big drop from UW/BU to Minn/UND.

The comment about classes being 3 weeks away reminded me that BU (and I'm pretty sure several other schools) typically get the freshmen on campus for one of the two summer terms to get started on their credits, to get to know their way around, and hopefully start bonding as a group. I don't know how recent a development that is, and I'm sure there can be situations where a freshman can't do it. But I feel like Letunov's issue came up at this time of year, so he must not have been at any summer classes.

Does UW not bring their freshmen in for summer classes?
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                        This really makes the coaching staff look bad. I'd even go as far to say that it makes the whole athletic department look bad. I would have to think that somebody should be tracking qualification/entry status for recruits in every sport
                        Agreed 100%
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

So, bottom line, I'd really like to know what the heck is going on. It's probably none of our business, but this is really ****ing me off.

Wisko, thanks for bringing back that video. I remember watching it on the draft special thinking how bright he is.
                          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Thanks for all the insight into TOEFL testing. I knew next to nothing about it, including the scores required. That is a pretty big drop from UW/BU to Minn/UND.

The comment about classes being 3 weeks away reminded me that BU (and I'm pretty sure several other schools) typically get the freshmen on campus for one of the two summer terms to get started on their credits, to get to know their way around, and hopefully start bonding as a group. I don't know how recent a development that is, and I'm sure there can be situations where a freshman can't do it. But I feel like Letunov's issue came up at this time of year, so he must not have been at any summer classes.

Does UW not bring their freshmen in for summer classes?
                            Yes, typically Badger frosh are in class, plus skating and working out with alumni all summer. Sampo played in the WJ Summer Showcase for Finland the last couple of weeks (had 2 goals vs. Canada!) so that obviously conflicted with classes.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                              We don't when he took the test and when they got the results back. The timing of that would either indite or exonerate his handlers @ UW.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                We don't when he took the test and when they got the results back. The timing of that would either indite or exonerate his handlers @ UW.
                                To me, it seems odd that you would take the test late. You can take the ACT/SAT multiple times to get better scores, so this just seems so strange.
                                Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Working...
                                X