Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

I agree with that, they were falling all over NewMass. The better team won, no question, Harvard doesn't have too much after the top line.
    UMass was all over Harvard, the goalie for the Crimson keep the game close for 2 plus periods. Melrose is really terrible and frankly Colby Cohen is not much better.

Comment

Congratulations to the Crimson for a solid season. Nobody who makes the NC$$ has any reason to apologize. Good luck next year except, obviously, against us.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Harvard had a great season and thank you to the seniors!

My take:
        - The disallowed goal was a horrendous call, but the better team won today. There is no question about that
        - What undid Harvard today was what has plagued them for the latter parts of the season - a 3rd line D pairing that is unable to clear bodies from the net (UMass 1st goal), Young forwards who are out of gas, and very ineffective 3rd & 4th lines (you gotta feel for Jack Badini who is so underserved on the 3rd line);
        - I would never have projected Harvard to make the NCAAs at the beginning of the year (goalie questions, scoring questions, etc) and especially after the start of the season which was a disaster.

Going forward:
        - Harvard has a solid goalie in Gornet and an incoming frosh goalie (Gibson) who is highly regarded
        - Fox is a huge question mark, but if he stays, I think Harvard could be the favorite in the ECAC
        - Harvard has a very strong frosh class coming in (Thrun, Wong, Farinacci, Farrell, Foskey, Abruzzesse, etc); There will be 3rd & 4th line players this year who will not see the ice next year unless they significantly lift their games; Farinacci is projected 2nd rounder and is best forward in New England; Abruzesse is leading the USHL in scoring;
        - Harvard loses Zerter Gossage & Lackey and then some offensive and defensive depth (Floodstrand, Baughmann, and Olsen)

Projected line-ups:
        Bowlby, Drury, Dornbach
        Farinacci, Badini, Abruzzesse
        Farrell, Shore, Gregoire
        Deveaux, Wong, Krusko

Fox, Rathbone
        Marino, Foskey
        Walsh, Thrun

Gornet, Gibson
        Last edited by bothman; 03-29-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
          Harvard had a great season and thank you to the seniors!

My take:
          - The disallowed goal was a horrendous call, but the better team won today. There is no question about that
          - What undid Harvard today was what has plagued them for the latter parts of the season - a 3rd line D pairing that is unable to clear bodies from the net (UMass 1st goal), Young forwards who are out of gas, and very ineffective 3rd & 4th lines (you gotta feel for Jack Badini who is so underserved on the 3rd line);
          - I would never have projected Harvard to make the NCAAs at the beginning of the year (goalie questions, scoring questions, etc) and especially after the start of the season which was a disaster.

Going forward:
          - Harvard has a solid goalie in Gornet and an incoming frosh goalie (Gibson) who is highly regarded
          - Fox is a huge question mark, but if he stays, I think Harvard could be the favorite in the ECAC
          - Harvard has a very strong frosh class coming in (Thrun, Wong, Farinacci, Farrell, Foskey, Abruzzesse, etc); There will be 3rd & 4th line players this year who will not see the ice next year unless they significantly lift their games; Farinacci is projected 2nd rounder and is best forward in New England; Abruzesse is leading the USHL in scoring;
          - Harvard loses Zerter Gossage & Lackey and then some offensive and defensive depth (Floodstrand, Baughmann, and Olsen)

Projected line-ups:
          Bowlby, Drury, Dornbach
          Farinacci, Badini, Abruzzesse
          Farrell, Shore, Gregoire
          Deveaux, Wong, Krusko

Fox, Rathbone
          Marino, Foskey
          Walsh, Thrun

Gornet, Gibson
          What about Pelton-Byce?

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            What about Pelton-Byce?
            He transferred to Wisconsin back in January
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              What about Pelton-Byce?
              Transferred to Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by DNAEagle View Post
                I agree with that, they were falling all over NewMass. The better team won, no question, Harvard doesn't have too much after the top line.
                UMass was all over Harvard, the goalie for the Crimson keep the game close for 2 plus periods. Melrose is really terrible and frankly Colby Cohen is not much better.
                Bucci is the only one who makes any sense, and has been that guy for many years. Melrose hasn't ever known s___ about college hockey.

Harvard played a very smart game, and Lackey was terrific, but UMass swarmed him all night long. They were much the better team.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  One more thing. Buccigross and Melrose are two of the biggest tools on this planet. Their UMass lovefest was disgusting. And they wound up looking like fools for making disparaging remarks about the goaltending. Losers.
                  But Buccigross IS "#cawlidgehawkey" tho'.
                  Last edited by GreenBear; 03-30-2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
                    But Buccigross IS "#cawlidgehawkey" tho'.
                    He and Melrose were a clown show yesterday. They didn't do their homework preferring to throw stuff out there hoping it sticks. And don't get me started on Colby Cohen - that kid is a walking cliché machine. When Gary Thorne or Sean McDonough were doing the NCAA hockey tournament for ESPN, they came prepared and called the game professionally. I really miss those two.

Comment

Some final thoughts as we close the book on this season.

1. The Adam Fox Watch commences this morning and it will be interesting to see if that rumor of his returning to school is true. I have zero insight into this except that Carolina is right shot D heavy and Adam may be thinking about what Vesey and Kerfoot did and how it worked out for them. He has nothing left to prove at the collegiate level in my mind so it's really about whether he wants to stay and get his degree.

2. At times yesterday's game seemed to be the Adam vs Cale show. Makar will make Colorado's rebuild go a lot faster and I've already said my peace regarding Fox.

3. If Zerter Gossage continues to play with jam and goes to the dirty areas, he'll have a good pro career. The kid has the size and skating ability to help someone right now. Wish the Bruins owned his rights.

4. The UMass goals were scored by a fourth liner and a third liner and magnified where Harvard is weak; secondary scoring and forward depth. We had too many passengers this year and not enough drivers. Agree with Bothman that Badini is misused on the third line and hopefully that changes next year.

5. What to watch for next year: a) the progression of Gregoire and Krushko. b). Will Solin and Perrault get a decent chance to show what they've got? and c). will Harvard hire an assistant coach that can put some structure, discipline and attention to detail for our D zone and penalty kill. Because that was missing this year and I think Pearl's departure had something to do with it.

BTW, the Clarkson - ND game last night was something special. Kielly is a terrific goalie. Hope he turns pro because he's ready.

Comment

He and Melrose were a clown show yesterday. They didn't do their homework preferring to throw stuff out there hoping it sticks. And don't get me started on Colby Cohen - that kid is a walking cliché machine. When Gary Thorne or Sean McDonough were doing the NCAA hockey tournament for ESPN, they came prepared and called the game professionally. I really miss those two.
                        I couldn't agree more. Buccigross always comes off to me as if he thinks the game has been advertised as "John Buccigross, with special guests Harvard and UMass hockey". Not a fan, never will be, since I think his interest in the game is more self-serving and pushing himself and his merch than anything else. He sounded far less knowledgable than the ECAC broadcasters, for example, which for the King of CawlidgeHockey shouldn't be the case.

I didn't mind Cohen, however.

Comment

First congrats on a great season and nothing to be ashamed of as both Skate and Both alluded that Harvard exceeded expectations which I 100% agree. First goal should have counted but don't me started as you my memory hasn't faded from two weeks ago. That said, and I am sorry to state this but this game was a mismatch. I even picked Harvard on my bracket. Fox cannot do it all by himself and yes he is cruising and ready to move on. Unlike past years. your forwards do not instill fear in opposing D's. The only one to is Badini and that is with his outside speed. Your 3rd pair was a mess both O and D.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                            First congrats on a great season and nothing to be ashamed of as both Skate and Both alluded that Harvard exceeded expectations which I 100% agree. First goal should have counted but don't me started as you my memory hasn't faded from two weeks ago. That said, and I am sorry to state this but this game was a mismatch. I even picked Harvard on my bracket. Fox cannot do it all by himself and yes he is cruising and ready to move on. Unlike past years. your forwards do not instill fear in opposing D's. The only one to is Badini and that is with his outside speed. Your 3rd pair was a mess both O and D.
                            Agree that UMass was a huge challenge and a definite mismatch given where the teams where slotted in the Pairwise. Regarding the forwards, we do lack depth and skill up front but Drury, Dornbach and Bowlby seem to finding some chemistry and I expect that to continue next year. Badini will move up to second line next year and we've got some fast frosh up front coming in. So we're trending up.

Baughman and Olsen both graduate. We'll have a new D pairing ready to go that has more mobility and speed. We're not sure yet about Fox. Hoping he stays and finishes.

Comment

Some updates on Adam Fox. First, congrats to Adam for being named one of the three finalists for the Hobey. Second, Pierre LeBrun is reporting that Adam has told Carolina he will likely not sign with them. Reason being that Carolina already has three right shot D and Adam is unlikely to supplant any of them. The thinking at this point is that Adam will take the same route that Jimmy Vesey and Alexander Kerfoot took in signing with the Rangers and Aves respectively. Next move is Carolina's but seeing that they made the playoffs, it's unlikely that anything will happen before May. Or the June draft. Stay tuned...

Comment

Some updates on Adam Fox. First, congrats to Adam for being named one of the three finalists for the Hobey. Second, Pierre LeBrun is reporting that Adam has told Carolina he will likely not sign with them. Reason being that Carolina already has three right shot D and Adam is unlikely to supplant any of them. The thinking at this point is that Adam will take the same route that Jimmy Vesey and Alexander Kerfoot took in signing with the Rangers and Aves respectively. Next move is Carolina's but seeing that they made the playoffs, it's unlikely that anything will happen before May. Or the June draft. Stay tuned...
                                Sounds like he is encouraging them to trade his rights.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X