Another Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another Book Thread

The Unity of Philosophical Experience, Eitenne Gilson.

It took all of my knowledge and experience to read and derive what understanding I did from this beautiful book. It's difficult and rewarding. I recommend it to everyone interested in philosophy and/or intellectual history. This is one of those inexhaustible books like Hamlet, Moby Dick, The Name of the Rose, and The Great Gatsby I will be reading again every five years or so to find more.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm looking forward to reading some of the stuff by Frank W. Abagnale. I heard him speak recently.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Recent reads

Island of Vice: Theodore Roosevelt's Doomed Quest to Clean up Sin-loving New York by Richard Zacks This book details Theordore Roosevelt’s brief career as police commissioner of NYC, one of 4 and his campaign to clean up New York. A lot of the book details the fight to close saloons on Sunday which was a big thing back in the late 1800’s but very unpopular amongst the lower classes because it was their only day off of the week. It shows how this raised his political profile enabling him to get a job in the McKinley administration which led to San Juan Hill, NY Governor, Vice President and President within a 5 year history. A lot of the book is very similar but interesting the commissioners battle’s with Captain Bill Bevery to remove him from his job, he would later be police commissioner and the 1st owner of the NY Highlanders i.e. Yankees and design the iconic logo based on a police badge. It was also interesting that some of Teddy’s theatrics have had similar things play out on Blue Bloods, Frank Regan’s hero, like sending a bunch of Jewish cops to protect a anti semitic speaker.

The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett #3) by Cody McFadyen Another Smoky Barrett novel where the team is tracking down a serial killer who killed a senators child on a plane and may have a body count in the 100’s. Another good read though Mcfdyen’s books are very graphic and detailed in the descriptions of the killings.

Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker #2) by John Connolly The second book in the Parker series finds him back in his hometown in Maine trying to recover from his actions in the first book of the series. Working for a old friend he has a confrontation with a volatile young man which puts him in the path of a myriad of criminals. Threatened at every turn by contract killers, the mob and a man from his families past he must search to solve the mystery while staying alive. I could kind of do without the “premonitions” and visions and just have it be a straight detective story.

The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club #18) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Maxine Paetro A pretty good Women’s Murder Club book which finds Joe helping a woman put the war criminal who had escaped justice get charged with a crime and Lindsey searching for some missing teachers who have been abducted.

House Arrest (Joe DeMarco #13) by Mike Lawson (Goodreads Author) This is much more of an Emma story than a Joe DeMarco story because early on in the book Joe is sent to jail for the murder of a congressman. He calls on his friend Emma to clear his name. Very good and with DeMarco now “out in the open” it will be interesting to see where the books go in the future.

The Girl in the Glass Box (Jack Swyteck #15) by James Grippando The latest Swyteck novel finds Jack defending a woman who is scheduled to be deported. It follows the immigration and asylum process. I thought there were some plot holes, 1 of the people in the woman’s life appears from nowhere into the story with little build up. Interesting in that unlike the last 3 or 4 books his wife Andie does not have an undercover assignment for the FBI which conveniently intersects with Jack’s case.

Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady #2) by J.A. Jance The second Brady novel takes up almost right where book 1 with the conclusion of her race for Sheriff. On the eve of the election a man is found dead with a decades old mystery surrounding his murder. Can the new sheriff adjust to the new job and solve the murder. A good read but a lot of characters in a relatively short book at times makes it a little tough to follow.

Unsolved (Invisible #2) by James Patterson This book follow Emma Dockery from the 1st book once again trying to track down another “invisible” serial killer. Fighting against her FBI bosses and a diabolical killer after her.

The Doll Maker (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne #8) by Richard Montanari Another good Byrne and Balzano mystery where they are tracking down a killer who leaves invitations to his next murder with his current victim. It had some rough spots but overall a good read.

Stand into Danger (Richard Bolitho #4) by Alexander Kent The 4th of the Bolitho books, chronologically, finds him a newly minted 3rd Lieutenant aboard a frigate headed on a top secret mission to the Caribbean. There he finds himself fraught with danger as they confront pirates and the uneasy going on in the region. Good read.

Outrage, Inc.: How the Liberal Mob Ruined Science, Journalism, and Hollywood by Derek Hunter Basically you get what you think it is. A book detailing the way the left seeks to control and dominate the narratives in certain areas, like climate change and how they are backed up and abetted by the media and Hollywood.

The Perk by Mark Gimenez I enjoyed the book quite a lot about a HS football star, which is huge in Texas, returning with his two children after a 20 year absence following the death of his wife. He finds himself embroiled in small town politics, running for judge and helping an old buddy investigate the death of his daughter while trying to connect with his kids and reconnect with his estranged father. There are a lot of stereotypes in the book but it was an enjoyable read.

Paul Revere and the World He Lived In by Esther Forbes This is truly a full and highly detailed look at the life of Paul Revere a man best remembered by most people for his one night ride in 1775. I particularly enjoyed hearing about the Sons of Liberty Days leading up to the Revolution. The true story of what happened on his famous ride and how he spent his time during the Revolution. There are lots of details and some of them probably could have been omitted to make it more readable especially some of the engraving/silversmith details.

Damaged (Rosato & DiNunzio #4) by Lisa Scottoline Like a lot of books in the series this book deals with one character Mary and the others in the firm play a supporting role. Mary is called to help a special needs child who is accused of assaulting a school aide and faces problems with the system. When Mary meets him her heart goes out to him and all he is going thru as she takes on his case. Good read.

Never Tell (Detective D.D. Warren #10) by Lisa Gardner This book involves DD investigating one of her earliest cases where a young girl had accidently shot her father. Now years later she is called to the scene where the same woman is found standing over her husband’s body. A complicated case where the woman claims she is innocent and DD investigates her husband’s double life. OK read but thought the plot was a little weak.

Three Weeks, Eight Seconds: Greg Lemond, Laurent Fignon, and the Epic Tour de France of 1989 by Nige Tassell I have never been a big fan of Lemond or Fignon but this book was pretty good. It gives an overview of their early careers including Lemond’s shooting after winning the tour in 1986 that left many feeling he would never return to cycling. The rest of the book is a day by day summary of the tour from defending champion Pedro Delgado’s showing up late to the prologue to the battles in the Alps and Pyrenees for victory and then the final time trial to settle it all on the Champs e Lysee.

The 13-Minute Murder by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Shan Serafin This is a review of the single Bookshot book name 13 minute murder not the 3 bookshot compilation. This was an okay story about a hitman and his partner who are doing a hit when something goes wrong and they find themselves fighting for their lives.

Dead Man Running by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Christopher Farnsworth This short bookshots novel finds a therapist on the run and accused of plotting to murder the president after one of his patients is killed in front of him. Can he survive?

113 Minutes by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Max DiLallo I enjoyed this bookshots novel about a woman whose son is killed and the revenge she plots against who she feels is responsible for his death.

Indigo Slam (Elvis Cole/Joe Pike #7) by Robert Crais Elvis Cole ace private detective is hired by 3 children to find their father who has disappeared. Thinking this will be an easy assignment he doesn’t realize what he is getting into when he finds himself involved with freedom fighters, mobsters and cops. Good read.

Field of Valor (Logan West #3) by Matthew Betley This 3rd Logan West book finds Logan and his team fighting against the conspirators within their own government. The book is pretty much non stop action. Not a whole lot of development in the storyline of ending the vast cabal that is seeking to control the world.

In Gallant Company (Richard Bolitho #5) by Alexander Kent, Douglas Reeman I found myself torn in this 5th Bolitho book on who to root for. Richard is fighting against the dastardly rebels in North America who are course American Revolutionaries. A very good read as Richard finds himself a 4 Lieutenant aboard the Trojan which is doing harbor duty in NY during the Revolution. Dispatched on several missions against Rebel privateers Richard continues to distinguish himself and rise up the ranks. A good read.

Shoot Don't Shoot (Joanna Brady #3) by J.A. Jance The 3rd book in the Brady series finds her taking her training courses in Phoenix. When their she is asked to investigate the arrest of a local woman. Of course she finds herself involved in the case which gets her involved in the hunt for a possible serial killer. Good read.
        Last edited by Probert; 07-13-2019, 05:54 AM.
        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
          I'm looking forward to reading some of the stuff by Frank W. Abagnale. I heard him speak recently.
          Before I could get anything by Abagnale someone gave me a couple books by Mark Manson that I'm not supposed to give a **** about.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Reading the Nicholas Flamel series up to the last book. For a YA series it is pretty good. Sometimes not so much but overall engaging for light summer reading. I think I would have liked it a bit more when I was reading all the mythology book to lil-not-so-lil when he was a kid. Lots of connections to myths from various cultures that I was way more well versed in when I was reading them to him every night. When he was 4 he wanted me to read - i mean really read, not just the pictures "Social Aspects of Saxon Villages'.
            And any other history from the Norse, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, all of anything to do with Europe. And my personal favorite request- He asked the kids librarian for a book on Visigoths. She cracked up. No one in 30 yrs had asked her for that. What kid asks to have that read to them?

And Nora Roberts. One of her trilogies involving witches and legend, etc. Was at the lake house and it was the only book that looked halfway decent (not into Barbara Bradford and potboiler types). I like her JD Robb stuff. This isn't that well written but for a summer read when my brain is boiling from heat it is OK
            Last edited by leswp1; 07-15-2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I'm enjoying the hell out of Jasmine Gillory's novels. I've read the first two a few times from the library and am anxiously awaiting a chance to get to the independent bookstore (Wednesday) to buy all 3 of her books. Fun modern romance novels set in California featuring black and POC protagonists. Well written characters and enjoyable stories.
              Last edited by bostonewe; 07-15-2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KevSlots
                Today I began to read the Confessions written by Tolstoy. I wanted to immerse myself in the classics of Russian literature
                That's an excellent book. When I read it a long time ago it was the only convincing book I'd ever read by a believer explaining/defending his theism. Tolstoy gives exactly zero f-cks for all the casuistry that typically comes with religiosity and he destroys it in the space of about 40 pages with far more rigor and passion than any atheist could. His explanation of his occult mysticism is a lot less convincing but he has explicitly stated that there is no defense of spirituality in reason and he still feels the desperate need for it (without it he sees only suicide) so one is very strongly moved to cut the poor guy a break.

Leo wasn't what one would call a good man, but nobody ever tried harder to be. I've always thought of him as my aspirational spirit animal: what I could be if I had more intellect. Oh, and serfs. I would very much like both of those things.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So I have books to read:

Fun Home: A Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
                  Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown
                  Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

Really grateful I joined an LGBT+ book club. Great discussion, great books, and gives me plenty to do while I recuperate from surgery.
                  Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                  "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                  Patreon for exclusive writing content
                  Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Am looking for some new authors to try and wondering if any one reads and would recommend any of the following

J.D. Robb these are set in the future so I'm wondering how Sci Fi they are as compared to a detective novel.
                    Greg Iles
                    James Lee Burke, The Robicheaux books.
                    Andy McDermott These seem similar to Clive Cussler/Steven Berry?

I have a couple of all of these that I have picked up over the years at used book sales probably not in order.
                    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Starting to reread the Ross Macdonald Lew Archer books. He's somewhere high in the pantheon of detectives including Holmes, Poirot, Wolfe, Spade, Marlowe, and the Continental Op.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Have to assume you have knocked off ian Fleming
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
                          Am looking for some new authors to try and wondering if any one reads and would recommend any of the following

J.D. Robb these are set in the future so I'm wondering how Sci Fi they are as compared to a detective novel.
                          Greg Iles
                          James Lee Burke, The Robicheaux books.
                          Andy McDermott These seem similar to Clive Cussler/Steven Berry?

I have a couple of all of these that I have picked up over the years at used book sales probably not in order.
                          I read JD Robb. I like her. She has a lot of intensity and some twists I haven't expected. Not sure I would read them all in a row or some of them might seem like they have similar themes. From what I recall in the first ones the main character Eve was a bit undeveloped. Part of the story is her struggle with what someone with a 'normal' upbringing would do but it didn't seem as deep. As things have gone on there is a little more focus on developing her and fleshing her out.

They are more like detective novels but some of the tools/tech/things like cars are capable of doing things we imagine will happen in the future. They reference off planet but it really isnt set off planet. Her earlier ones were prescient. Things like carrying Links which seemed a bit far-fetched then but are the smart phones of today. You can read them stand alone but there are references to previous stories that make some of the current story more fleshed out if you know what she is referencing.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            Have to assume you have knocked off ian Fleming
                            If this is to me, not really my thing. I tried to get into Bond but... meh. I don't do Le Carre either and he's objectively great. Just not a spy guy.

If it's to Probert:

Cornell University

Comment

I found the perfect setting in which to read Kropotkin's Conquest of Bread.

Waiting at the DMV really helps bring the message of anarchist communism home.

Last edited by Kepler; 07-29-2019, 12:38 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Probert

Mookie finished You Only Live Twice, and now started Diamonds Are Forever.

The bond Fleming wrote IS NOT the movie bond. Incredibly better. Not comparable (and mookie likes the movies). Human. Mookie is just shocked. He has to go get them all and read.
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X