• Show
Clear All

Re: Another Book Thread

My Year in Books (updated)

I read 59,019 pages across 193 books

SHORTEST BOOK - 112 pages - Random Acts by J.A. Jance

LONGEST BOOK - 742 pages - The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons

AVERAGE LENGTH - 305 pages

MOST POPULAR - 335,150 people also read Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

LEAST POPULAR - 3 people also read Biz Mackey, a Giant behind the Plate by Rich Westcott (it was terrible)

MY AVERAGE RATING FOR 2018 - 3.2

HIGHEST RATED ON GOODREADS - The Cookie Book: Decadent Bites for Every Occasion by Rebecca Firth - 4.50 average

Comment

Lately -

Baseball Life Advice by Stacey May Fowles. LOVED this. Essays about different topics in baseball - especially interesting to read as a female baseball fan.

Target: Alex Cross by James Patterson - the new one. 3.5763 stars. Pretty entertaining, not one of my favorites, though.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles - this took a little while to get into, but I really liked it. Clever and witty (much like his other book I've read). About a Russian man who is sentenced to stay inside a hotel for the rest of this life.

The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz - the latest Girl with the Dragon Tattoo book - felt similar to the last one. An entertaining read.

Elston: The Story of the First African-American Yankee by Arlene Howard. This was not that great. Definitely felt like it was written by his wife, and she had a bone to pick. It felt like most of it was defending Elston and complaining that he didn't get to manage (fair complaints, though).

Biz Mackey, a Giant behind the Plate: The Story of the Negro League Star and Hall of Fame Catcher by Rich Westcott - this was awful and poorly edited. It felt like each chapter was written by a different person, who had no clue what was in the other chapters. It was a mishmash of the same information, over and over. How many times can the author say Mackey was a better catcher than Josh Gibson? At LEAST once per chapter. Disappointing.

Also, I am on the last Spenser book. I will miss reading them. Hopefully they continue to be released.

Comment

Recent Reads

Zim: A Baseball Life by Don Zimmer, Bill Madden A tell it as it is biography from a man who had played, coached and managed in the big leagues for 50+ years. It starts with his playing days in the minors up to the majors starting with the Brooklyn Dodgers. His many travels thru the coaching and managing ranks and his friendship with many players, managers, owners and executives. A fun read.

Sea of Greed (NUMA Files #16) by Clive Cussler The latest Austin novel finds him trying to stop a bacteria from destroying the oil in the world and finds him up against a maniacal billionaire who is attempting to bend the world to her will. Ok read.

The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton, James Patterson (Goodreads Author), David Ellis While I find most James Patterson books ok but not phenomenal one of the things I do like about them is I can usually read them in a day, a day being hour and a half on the train and a half hour lunch. This one took 2+ days and was not written in typical Patterson style, many short chapters, at 500 pages it’s quite a bit longer. The book is interspersed with long sections on policy and interactions between characters and then a couple of pages of action. I like David Ellis quite a bit, his stand along and Patterson books but this was disappointing.

Ambush (Michael Bennett #11) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), James O. Born The Michael Bennett series is one of my favorite of the Patterson storylines. I miss Michael Ledwidge the new co writer is not the same. This finds Michael Bennett on the run from drug lords who are trying to kill him, a common theme throughout the series. While also trying to be a parent to his 10 children. Ok read my book from the library included Manhunt one of the Bennett e-novels after the main story.

Directorate S: The C.I.A. and America's Secret Wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan by Steve Coll The sequel to Ghost Wars this picks up right where the previous book left off on September 11 2001. A deep delve inside the US operations in Afghanistan thru 2 administrations, Bush and Obama and their relationship with the Afghani’s, Taliban and Pakistan. At times it seemed like information overload with tons of briefings and meeting with various Generals, advisors’ warlords and the like. If you wonder why it was/is so difficult for the US in Afghanistan this will help sort it out for you. Didn’t enjoy it as much as Ghost Wars but a good read.

Target: Alex Cross (Alex Cross #26) by James Patterson For me the Cross novels have gone up and down. Loved the first ones then their was a slide downhill before starting back on the upswing. I didn’t love the last one but this one is okay despite having a really unbelievable plot where multiple members of the Administration along with high level Senate and House leaders are assassinated. As martial law is declared Alex must get to the bottom of it. Better than the last 1 or 2 but still seemed a bit lacking. He did deviate from his normal 2 plots in this one as the secondary plot was barely their though seemed to set up the next book.

The Absence of Guilt (Scott Fenney #3) by Mark Gimenez The second Scott feeney book found him being nominated for a federal judgeship. This book finds him as a sitting judge with his old crew all around him presiding over a case about Isis plotting to blow up the Super Bowl which is coming to town. Lots of different parts and some were enjoyable and others were left a bit lacking. Since he is no longer a lawyer it probably will be a little tough to consider the series as he got way to involved in the weeds of this case which he shouldn’t have done as the presiding judge. It’s a decent read but not as good as the first two.

Top Hoodlum: Frank Costello, Prime Minister of the Mafia by Anthony M. Destefano This is a biography of a “political” gangster. Costello was not heavily involved in the violence perpetuated by the Mafia but handled many of the fixing. This tells of his rise in the mob and how he ran bootlegging operations during Prohibition and his rise thru the mob mainly at the side of Lucky Luciano. It was quite short for someone who lived such a long life detailing his later battles with the government to stay out of jail.

Gone Again (Jack Swyteck #12) by James Grippando This book finds Jack back in the courtroom attempting to keep a man from being executed by Florida. The case is complicated by the fact that the body of the woman was never found and her mother believes she has been contacting her on her birthday. Good read

The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn #1) by Brett Battles So I started this new series about a cleaner who comes in to fix up messes. In this one he is dispatched to a remote cabin in Colorado to find out if an operative was murdered. He finds himself in the middle of a huge conspiracy and goes on the run trying to piece together the pieces as he goes. Premise reminds me a lot of Gray Man and Agent X though this one wasn’t quite as good but an okay read.
        Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

My Year in Books

I read 63,722 pages across 182 books

SHORTEST BOOK
          16 pages
          Buy a Bullet
          by Gregg Hurwitz

LONGEST BOOK
          1,061 pages
          A Feast for Crows
          by George R.R. Martin

AVERAGE LENGTH
          350 pages

MOST POPULAR 623,566 people also read A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin Duh real surprise here though I though the Bill Clinton/James Patterson one might make it on top.

LEAST POPULAR 0 people also read Denali by Alaska Geographic Association I guess no one else went to Denali and bought this at the bookstore to read on the flight home

MY AVERAGE RATING FOR 2018 2.9 About right most books for me fall between 2 and 3 stars

HIGHEST RATED ON GOODREADS Hellbent by Gregg Hurwitz
          4.36 average Interesting that amongst the Patterson's and such this is the highest rated

5 Star books 1 In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors by Doug Stanton
          4 Star Books 23
          3 Star Books 106
          2 Star Books 52
          1 Star Books 0

Most Read author James Patterson 24

Comment

Recent Reads

Power Plays By Joseph Finder This is an interesting book about a young executive who is invited to a retreat in the wilderness by the head honcho’s of the company. While there they are all taken hostage and he must act to try and save their lives. Good read.

Halsey's Typhoon: The True Story of a Fighting Admiral, an Epic Storm, and an Untold Rescue by Bob Drury, Tom Clavin Very interesting account of Typhoon Cobra which swamped Bull Halsey’s 3rd fleet and caused more damage than most Japanese attacks. Great stories of survival and heroism especially by Henry Lee Plage and the USS Tabberer. Also follow the court martials and inquiries into Halsey and his staff’s actions.

Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch Universe #31) by Michael Connelly So Connelly’s new detective Renee Ballard teams up with his old detective Harry Bosch to get to the bottom of a cold case murder of a young prostitute whose mother, Harry met on his most recent case. Typical Bosch book though it goes back and forth between Ballard and Bosch operating separately and operating together. A good read, I realize Bosch will eventually put to pasture since he’s in his 70’s, this is a good way to segue into Ballard novels.

The Reckoning by John Grisham This Grisham book has it’s moments. It is told out of order. Part 1 tells about the crime and the punishment. The second part tells about the perpetrator’s life as a POW and guerilla in the Phillipines during the second World War. The Third part tells of his family dealing with the aftereffects of his crime and finding out why he did it. I greatly enjoyed the second part. The end to me was a little anti climatic because I had figured it out 150 pages earlier.

Depth of Winter (Walt Longmire #14) by Craig Johnson Probably my least favorite of the Longmire series this finds Walt down in Mexico trying to rescue his daughter from a Mexican drug lord. He’s far from Wyoming, none of his normal crew is there though he does have some new compatriots.

George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War by Thomas B. Allen This book is probably written for young teens but is an interesting take on the spies of the Revolution and the spying techniques used by George Washington to help win the war.

In the Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown by Nathaniel Philbrick Another good book from Philbrick detailing the events leading up to the victory at Yorktown which sealed the victory during the revolution. I particularly enjoyed the portions dealing with the battles between the French and British fleets which enabled the French to keep Cornwallis bottled up on the peninsula. Also a very good description of the Southern Campaign where Greene and then Lafayette managed to sting Cornwallis and keep him from capturing their armies.

The Capitol Game by Brian Haig A non Sean Drummond book from Haig was good but not as good as a Drummond book. Jack Wiley is an investment banker who brings a great deal to a corrupt DC investment banking firm staffed by former government big wigs. When everything hits the fan will he be left holding the bag.

The Silent Blade (Paths of Darkness #1) by R.A. Salvatore So I am reading the Drizzt books in chronological order and this seems to be a rehash from other books. Ereteri back again, I think he’s already died twice, also the Crystal Shard is here for a third series. Maybe come up with a new villain? The Wulfgar storyline is not that interesting we will see where he goes with it in the next book.

Overwatch (Logan West #1) by Matthew Betley Similar plot and hero as Brad Thor, Ben Coes and Vince Flynn, Dewey Andreas is the one I think he most resembles. Logan West a decorated Recon Marine wakes up to find someone trying to kill him. This launches him into a action paced adventure where he teams up with the FBI to try and stop a madman from starting a nuclear war. Good story fast paced action the part where he is hired by the FBI as a consultant seems a little far fetched but a good read.

Betrayed (Rosato & DiNunzio #2) by Lisa Scottoline So in this book Judy Carrier who has played a secondary role in most of the series takes the lead. Her aunt is ill and when visiting her one of her aunts friends dies under suspicious circumstances and she starts to investigate. Finding herself overstressed and caught in a web of intrigue she tries to get to the truth. OK read.

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post
              Recent Reads

Power Plays By Joseph Finder This is an interesting book about a young executive who is invited to a retreat in the wilderness by the head honcho’s of the company. While there they are all taken hostage and he must act to try and save their lives. Good read.

Halsey's Typhoon: The True Story of a Fighting Admiral, an Epic Storm, and an Untold Rescue by Bob Drury, Tom Clavin Very interesting account of Typhoon Cobra which swamped Bull Halsey’s 3rd fleet and caused more damage than most Japanese attacks. Great stories of survival and heroism especially by Henry Lee Plage and the USS Tabberer. Also follow the court martials and inquiries into Halsey and his staff’s actions.

Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch Universe #31) by Michael Connelly So Connelly’s new detective Renee Ballard teams up with his old detective Harry Bosch to get to the bottom of a cold case murder of a young prostitute whose mother, Harry met on his most recent case. Typical Bosch book though it goes back and forth between Ballard and Bosch operating separately and operating together. A good read, I realize Bosch will eventually put to pasture since he’s in his 70’s, this is a good way to segue into Ballard novels.

The Reckoning by John Grisham This Grisham book has it’s moments. It is told out of order. Part 1 tells about the crime and the punishment. The second part tells about the perpetrator’s life as a POW and guerilla in the Phillipines during the second World War. The Third part tells of his family dealing with the aftereffects of his crime and finding out why he did it. I greatly enjoyed the second part. The end to me was a little anti climatic because I had figured it out 150 pages earlier.

Depth of Winter (Walt Longmire #14) by Craig Johnson Probably my least favorite of the Longmire series this finds Walt down in Mexico trying to rescue his daughter from a Mexican drug lord. He’s far from Wyoming, none of his normal crew is there though he does have some new compatriots.

George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War by Thomas B. Allen This book is probably written for young teens but is an interesting take on the spies of the Revolution and the spying techniques used by George Washington to help win the war.

In the Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown by Nathaniel Philbrick Another good book from Philbrick detailing the events leading up to the victory at Yorktown which sealed the victory during the revolution. I particularly enjoyed the portions dealing with the battles between the French and British fleets which enabled the French to keep Cornwallis bottled up on the peninsula. Also a very good description of the Southern Campaign where Greene and then Lafayette managed to sting Cornwallis and keep him from capturing their armies.

The Capitol Game by Brian Haig A non Sean Drummond book from Haig was good but not as good as a Drummond book. Jack Wiley is an investment banker who brings a great deal to a corrupt DC investment banking firm staffed by former government big wigs. When everything hits the fan will he be left holding the bag.

The Silent Blade (Paths of Darkness #1) by R.A. Salvatore So I am reading the Drizzt books in chronological order and this seems to be a rehash from other books. Ereteri back again, I think he’s already died twice, also the Crystal Shard is here for a third series. Maybe come up with a new villain? The Wulfgar storyline is not that interesting we will see where he goes with it in the next book.

Overwatch (Logan West #1) by Matthew Betley Similar plot and hero as Brad Thor, Ben Coes and Vince Flynn, Dewey Andreas is the one I think he most resembles. Logan West a decorated Recon Marine wakes up to find someone trying to kill him. This launches him into a action paced adventure where he teams up with the FBI to try and stop a madman from starting a nuclear war. Good story fast paced action the part where he is hired by the FBI as a consultant seems a little far fetched but a good read.

Betrayed (Rosato & DiNunzio #2) by Lisa Scottoline So in this book Judy Carrier who has played a secondary role in most of the series takes the lead. Her aunt is ill and when visiting her one of her aunts friends dies under suspicious circumstances and she starts to investigate. Finding herself overstressed and caught in a web of intrigue she tries to get to the truth. OK read.
              I see there is a streak of AMerican history running

Comment

Recent reads

Anthony Wayne: Soldier of the Early Republic by Paul David Nelson A pretty good biography of one of the Revolutions most colorful general’s Mad Anthony Wayne. Tells the story of his early life his rise thru the ranks during the revolution to become one of George Washington’s most trusted generals during the revolution. His brief period after the Revolution where he had many land and legal troubles and then his return to service when President Washington appointed him to head an army on the Western Frontier against hostile tribes. The intrigue amongst his subordinate, James Wilkinson one of America’s most infamous and least known traitors was really good to read about.

Most Dangerous Place (Jack Swyteck #13) by James Grippando The 13th in the Swytek series finds him defending an old friends wife who is arrested for a cold case murder of the man who raped her. An intriguing case where Jack is forced to deal with another attorney he dislike’s, a client who doesn’t tell the truth and a prosecutor out for blood. One of the better recent Swytek’s.

The Lufthansa Heist by Henry Hill, Daniel Simone This book tells of the story of Henry Hill with additional information pertaining to the Lufthansa Heist. If you have read Wiseguy, the book Goodfellas is based on, this is an okay book that mainly rehashes the same information with a little bit of extra stuff. If you hadn’t read Wiseguy I would read that first.

Ghost Recon (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon #1) by David Michaels (House Author), Grant Blackwood (Goodreads Author) (Writing As), Tom Clancy An okay book, which I think is based on a video game. It follows the event of a top secret covert team of military operative as they seek to stop China from annexing Taiwan.

One Mile Under (Ty Hauck #4) by Andrew Gross This is an okay Ty Hauck book where he enlisted to help bail out his goddaughter who believes that a friend of hers who died in an accident was murdered. As they investigate they are threatened and accosted. OK book but not that great.

Dr. Death (Alex Delaware #14) by Jonathan Kellerman Earlier Alex Delaware novel where he is called in to investigate a Dr Kevorkian suicide doctor type who has been murdered. It’s further complicated when it is revealed that he is connected to one of the suspects who was married to one of his “patients”. Pretty decent read was probably written at the height of the Kevorkian craze.

Dirty Blonde by Lisa Scottoline I guess I had previously read this. Okay book about a judge who after a ruling in a case finds her personal life in the spotlight when it turns into a murder-suicide. She must confront her past in order to move on.

Taking the Titanic by James PattersonA Short James Patterson bookshots about a couple who get on boat the titanic to steal and swindle from the people in first class but one of them is hiding a secret.

Killer (Alex Delaware #29) by Jonathan Kellerman Pretty good Deleware and Sturgis novel he finds out that a person who he is doing an evaluation about in a child custody matter tries to murder him after he rules against her. When she and other people involved in the custody case start to die and dissappear he and MIlo must get to the bottom of it.

Heist by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Rees Jones Interesting bookshots novel of two different sets of thieves trying to pull of a jewel heist and the detective trying to catch them.

The Women's War by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Shan Serafin This bookshots novel follows the story of 3 female marines who are being hunted by a Mexican druglord and decide to turn the tables by hunting him.

Little Black Dress by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Emily Raymond A divorced woman buys a little black dress which spices up her sex and leads her on wild adventures.

Scott Free by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Rob Hart An interesting bookshots from Patterson 3 children have been murdered, when the man accused of the crime is set free on a technicality they band together with the detective investigating the crime to get revenge.

French Kiss (Detective Luc Moncrief #1) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Richard DiLallo Bookshots novel about a young french detective who is assigned to the NYPD. This book deals with him trying to find out who murdered his partner.

The End (Owen Taylor #1) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Brendan DuBois This book had two parts the hero Owen Taylor's final mission where his team is betrayed and force to fight for their lives. The second part is after he retires to a quiet house on a lake learning to adjust to life in the real world and his nasty neighbors.

Come and Get Us by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Shan Serafin An okay bookshots novel where a woman her husband and young child are run off the road. With her husband hurt the young woman must go for help while avoiding the men trying to kill them.

French Twist (Detective Luc Moncrief #3) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Richard DiLallo 3rd of the Luc Moncrief bookshots, this book finds the young detective investigating the deaths of young women dropping dead with no apparent reason. He also is helping a family friend whose horse may win the Triple Crown but is being threatened. Okay but having 2 plot lines in such a short book is kind of dumb.

The Fallen (Amos Decker #4) by David Baldacci Pretty good Memory Man book, Amos and Jamison are on vacation visiting her sister when a murder happens nearby. Drawn into the investigation they find out that this isn't the only murder in this small town.

Henry VIII: The King and His Court by Alison Weir This biography tells the story of Henry VIII and his reign. There are parts of the book like chapters that go into great detail about the operations of the Kings Privy chamber, stables and the like that are kind of boring and monotonous. There is also way too much information on properties he aquired and how much he spent restoring them. Once she gets into the narrative of his reign it is pretty good detailing his treaties, wars dealings with other rulers and of course his marriages and breaks with the church. The tales of palace intrique and jockey for power is good as well.

A Death in Live Oak (Jack Swyteck #14) by James Grippando A Pretty good Swytek book which finds him defending a man accused of lynching a fellow college student. As he investigates he finds a connection to a lynching whihc happened in the same town 80 years earlier.

The Ruins (Pike Logan #12.5) by Brad Taylor Interesting Pike and Jennifer story where it tells how their company Grolier Recovery came into being searching for a long lost temple in the Guatemelan jungle.

The Infiltrator (Pike Logan #11.5) by Brad Taylor An interesting tale of Aaron and Shoshanna's wedding as they Pike and Jennifer get involved in breaking up a terrorist plot.

Assassins (Thriller: Stories to Keep You Up All Night) by Christopher Reich Basically a chapter which has Nick Neumann his protaganist from NUmbered account having lunch in a restaurannt in Switzerland.

The Intern (Orphan X #3.5) by Gregg Hurwitz A short Orphan X novel about a news reporter and their intern who run into trouble.

The Museum of Mysteries (Cotton Malone #13.5) by Steve Berry (Goodreads Author), M.J. Rose This is a Cassopia Vitt story. While visiting a friend they are robbed and she chases after the thief. She ends up involved in a mystery full of flashbacks from a previous life. A little strange.

Breakdown (Alex Delaware #31) by Jonathan Kellerman This Deleware and Stugis novel finds them investigation the death of the mother of a former patient of Alex's. In addition to searching for the murderer they are also searching for her son who seems to have dissappeared. Ok read.
                Last edited by Probert; 03-02-2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Just finished the last Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey novel. I has a sad.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Well I might be crucified for this but The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump taught me a lot about real estate business I was watching the local markets before but thanks to Mr. Trump's experiences I learned not to stuck in only one market and think big, and actually found a lot of great deals when I checked homes for sale on the French Riviera. Thanks Mr. Trump for making the real estate business great again for me

Comment

Originally posted by Incubus View Post
                      Well I might be crucified for this but The Art of the Deal by Donald Trump taught me a lot about real estate business I was watching the local markets before but thanks to Mr. Trump's experiences I learned not to stuck in only one market and think big, and actually found a lot of great deals when I checked homes for sale on the French Riviera. Thanks Mr. Trump for making the real estate business great again for me
                      Don't forget to reno them and leave the contractors unpaid. Think of all the savings!

Comment

Recent reads

Loot: The Battle over the Stolen Treasures of the Ancient World by Sharon Waxman An interesting tale telling of the various types of looted art and how they are acquired and held by various museums over the year. It tells of the various attempts by countries like Turkey, Egypt, Italy and Greece to get back items that left the country and the cases against several high profile institutions and individuals by them. Good read.

The Janson Equation (Paul Janson #4) by Douglas Corleone (Goodreads Author), Robert Ludlum Interesting Janson book where he is hired by a US Senator to track down his son in Korea and he and Jessica end up against their old workmates. As he tries to stop a conflict on the Korean peninsula Paul must do the impossible.

Oath of Office (Jack Ryan Universe #26) by Marc Cameron The second in the Ryan series written by Cameron to me he's a step behind Greaney in writing the Ryan books. This one merges the Campus along with Jack Ryan senior. An excellent novel about the Ayatollah's in Iran and a revolutionary group attempting to set off a nuclear device. Jack Jr has to go around the world in an attempt to stop it while Jack Sr tries to avoid WW III.

Holy Ghost (Virgil Flowers #11) by John Sandford Strange Virgil Flowers case where he comes to a small Minnesota town which has been having visions of the Virgin Mary which has helped saved the town. Now they are having pilgrims being shot by a sniper. Virgil investigates in his unique method as the townfolk worry that their new notoriety will keep the pilgrims away.

Red War (Mitch Rapp #17) by Kyle Mills (Goodreads Author), Vince Flynn The 4th of the Rapp books written by Mills I think this one could have been fleshed out a bit more. When the CIA finds out that Russians president has brain cancer and is attempting an all out war against the West Mitch and his frenemy Grisha Azarov must go into the depths of Russia to help solve the crisis before the Russians roll over the border.

Daughter of War (Pike Logan #13) by Brad Taylor This book finds Task Force tracking Isis, The Syrians and North Koreans to try and stop a deadly never agent from being unleashed on the world. Helped by an unlikely ally in a young girl.

We Are Not Alone by James Patterson A not that great bookshots novel where a scientist who had forsaken everything to search for life on other planets makes contact and then is chased by the government to try to cover it up.

The House Next Door by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Tim Arnold, Susan DiLallo, Max DiLallo Interesting bookshots novel about a woman who gets a little close to her new neighbor as things start to go wrong all around her.

The Killer's Wife by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Max DiLallo This is a short James Patterson bookshots where the copy investigating a man who is accused of abducting several you women gets too close to his wife. OK read

Blazing Saddles by Matt Rendell Enjoyed this book which goes year by year thru the Tour De France and tells of some of the interesting incidents of each years tour. It also contains info on the great champions Anqietiel, Mercx, Coppi, Bartali, Mercx Hinault and Indurain along with a detailed history of cheating and doping during the race.

Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2) by Tom Young Good second effort from Young which reunites the characyers from his first novel. Sophia is being medevac’d after a bombing in Afghanistan when it is revealed that they may have a bomb on the plane. A frantic search along with other difficulties including multiple mid air refueling takes place as they seek to find and defuse the bomb.

House Witness (Joe DeMarco #12) by Mike Lawson Interesting Demarco book where when he is sent to NY to make sure the prosecuting of the man who killed his godmother’s son, and Mahoney’s son goes smoothly. Thinking it’s a piece of cake it runs into issue when witnesses disappear or start to change the story. When rumours of a mythical case fixer arises DeMarco must get involved in the case or let the killer go free.

The Spine of the World (Paths of Darkness #2) by R.A. Salvatore The worst of the Drizzt books I have read, why? Mainly because Drizzt doesn’t appear. This is mainly a Wulfgar novel and another storyline that ends up intersecting with him but includes characters never introduced before. The action is minimal at best and the storyline not particularly interesting.

Con Law (John Bookman #1) by Mark Gimenez Interesting series from Gimenez about a law constitutional law professor who takes on lost cause cases and tries to bring about justice. Good read.

Bunts: Curt Flood, Camden Yards, Pete Rose, and Other Reflections on Baseball by George F. Will Interesting reading this book quite a few years after it was written as some of the things he writes about, against inter league play, salaries cannot continue to increase so rapidly have come about. He definitely has a National League bent, he hates the DH loves the Cubs. Didn’t find it nearly as good as Men at Work. Basically a copy of his political columns where he wrote about baseball rather than politics.

Comment

Bernard Cornwell- Fools and Mortals- (AMazon description) tells the story of the first production of A Midsummer Night's Dream—as related by William Shakespeare’s estranged younger brother in the heart of Elizabethan England. Richard Shakespeare dreams of a glittering career in one of the London playhouses, a world dominated by his older brother, William. But he is a penniless actor, making ends meet through a combination of a beautiful face, petty theft and a silver tongue. As William’s star rises, Richard’s onetime gratitude is souring and he is sorely tempted to abandon family loyalty. The manuscript goes missing, suspicion falls upon Richard, forcing him onto a perilous path through a bawdy and frequently brutal London. Entangled in a high-stakes game of duplicity and betrayal which threatens not only his career and potential fortune, but also the lives of his fellow players, Richard has to call on all he has now learned from the brightest stages and the darkest alleyways of the city. To avoid the gallows, he must play the part of a lifetime . . . .
                          I liked it. Had been to many of the places so I could picture what it looked like. Interesting history of how Players fit into society.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            Bernard Cornwell- Fools and Mortals- (AMazon description) tells the story of the first production of A Midsummer Night's Dream—as related by William Shakespeare’s estranged younger brother in the heart of Elizabethan England. Richard Shakespeare dreams of a glittering career in one of the London playhouses, a world dominated by his older brother, William. But he is a penniless actor, making ends meet through a combination of a beautiful face, petty theft and a silver tongue. As William’s star rises, Richard’s onetime gratitude is souring and he is sorely tempted to abandon family loyalty. The manuscript goes missing, suspicion falls upon Richard, forcing him onto a perilous path through a bawdy and frequently brutal London. Entangled in a high-stakes game of duplicity and betrayal which threatens not only his career and potential fortune, but also the lives of his fellow players, Richard has to call on all he has now learned from the brightest stages and the darkest alleyways of the city. To avoid the gallows, he must play the part of a lifetime . . . .
                            I liked it. Had been to many of the places so I could picture what it looked like. Interesting history of how Players fit into society.
                            If you want the comic equivalent to this, see Something Rotten! by John O'Farrell.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I couldn't stop myself from pulling "A Brief History of Time" back down off the shelf.
                              There's something new to comprehend every time.
                              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                                I couldn't stop myself from pulling "A Brief History of Time" back down off the shelf.
                                There's something new to comprehend every time.
                                The mark of a great book.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X