Another Book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Book Thread

Still working on Patterson's Spenser books, but I am nearing the end. On #35 now.

Been going through Beatriz' Williams books - the all follow the same kind of timeline (starting with a vague reference to future drama, switching between two time periods, then finally meeting up near the end in an unpredictable way). Really enjoyed almost all of them.

Read Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-Sour Memoir of Eating in China by Fuschia Dunlop - very interesting about her travels and time in China (including attending a cooking school), but she got a little holier-than-thou with her stories about all the unusual things she ate, and how her attitude changed about eating. Also some poor editing, which I find distracting.

Also read Daring to Drive: A Saudi Woman's Awakening by Manal al-Sharif - one of the organizers of the "women's movement" in Saudi Arabia who drove in public and was put in prison. This was really interesting - I enjoyed the glimpses into her changing attitudes, and the environment she grew up in (and the role the government played in the religious attitudes in the region). She started out as a religious fanatic as a kid, and returning after a business trip to the U.S. changed her views.

Comment

Parker's
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        Parker's
        gah. Parker. I always get them mixed up (although I find I like Parker's books more than Patterson's). Not the first time I've made that mistake.
        Last edited by jen; 10-13-2018, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Which one is 35? How many in total (mookie has never counted),

The most recent (Gardner museum heist) was decent enough.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Which one is 35? How many in total (mookie has never counted),

The most recent (Gardner museum heist) was decent enough.
            35 is Now and Then - Spenser is hired to find out if an FBI agent's wife is cheating, and it turns out she's involved with a crazy political movement, and both husband and wife are killed. Not one of my favorites, but pretty good (they're all pretty good - haven't disliked any). There's 46 in total (counting the one you mentioned that came out in May).

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
              35 is Now and Then - Spenser is hired to find out if an FBI agent's wife is cheating, and it turns out she's involved with a crazy political movement, and both husband and wife are killed. Not one of my favorites, but pretty good (they're all pretty good - haven't disliked any). There's 46 in total (counting the one you mentioned that came out in May).
              Thanks
              Just went and checked. Don’t remember much of that one. See you have 4 and a 1/2 to go until he passes

Comment

Recent reads

Extraordinary Powers by Joseph Finder I enjoy Finder’s Nick Heller books. This is one of his stand alone novels where the son-in-law of the CIA director who was killed in an accident that he and his wife believe was intentional becomes involved in an investigation to track down a secret cabal within the agency. I thought it was an okay read but the extraordinary power seems to have little effect on the plot and the storyline so I am unsure why it was put in.

Running with the Demon (The Word & The Void #1) by Terry Brooks I am a big fan of Terry Brooks, Wishsong and Elfstones are amongst my favorite books. The Word and the Void is where many years ago I stopped reading him as it seemed as if he had veered off into something else. Many years later I realized that they were all connected and with him writing what he claims is the final Shannara set I decide to finally sit down and read this series. It is okay but with the setting in modern times with demons and Druids, i.e. Knights of the the Word being the few magical creatures. John Ross a Knight of the Word who see’s visions arrives in town to save a young woman Nest Freemark who has magical ability and must be stopped from turning to the Void.

A Knight of the Word (The Word & The Void #2) by Terry Brooks The second book in the Word and Void Trilogy finds that John Ross has lost his way and is in danger of turning to the Void. His friend Nest Freemark travels to Seattle to try and save him. As I stated in my review of Running with the Demon, definitely way down on my list of Shannara books.

Angel Fire East (The Word & The Void #3) by Terry Brooks So the final book in the Word and Void series finds John Ross and Nest Freemark together again fighting against a team of demons to protect the powerful magic of a Gypsy Morph. Ok a little better than the first 2 of the series but still probably my least favorite of the Brooks works with the exception of Magic Kingdom for Sale.

The Story Of Lee's Headquarters, Gettysburg, Pa by Timothy H. Smith I received this book as a bonus from the Civil War Trust when I donate money for them to buy and restore the Thompson House aka Lee’s headquarters at Gettysburg. The book tells the story of the house and the families who lived there focusing on the Thompson’s who owned the house during the battle. It tells the actions that happened around the house and what they think Lee used it for during the battle. It tells of the controversy 50 years later over where the headquarters actual was and the various uses of the house over the years since the battle. OK but a quick short read.

Line of Sight (Jack Ryan Universe #25) by Mike Maden Not a bad Jack Ryan Jr book but it is mainly just that a Jack Ryan Jr book. Very little involvement with the campus or Jack Ryan Sr. When on a business trip to Eastern Europe Jack’s mother asks him to go to Sarajevo to find a young woman she operated on during the Civil War and see how she is doing. Jack finds himself being hunted by members of the Iron Syndicate who want his head literally and involves himself in the politics of Bosnia that are threatening to run out of control.

Spymaster (Scot Harvath #17) by Brad Thor The Harvath books have dropped off a bit but are still readable though I hated the ending. Harvath and his team are trying to track down what they believe is a plot to break NATO apart, which appears to be a popular theme since I just read a Jack Ryan book with a similar plot. Harvath and his team try to utilize all their resources in order to stop this from happening.

The Lawyer Lifeguard by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Doug Allyn I found this an entertaining bookshot from Patterson about a young lawyer who is dealing with the death of his fiancé in a car bomb that almost kills him. Fired from his job he ends up working at his high school job as a lifeguard and going thru his old cases to try and find out who targeted him and his fiancé for death.

The Doctor’s Plot by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Connor Hyde Another short bookshot from Patterson that was not that enjoyable. Read more like a Steven King or Dean Koontz novel than a Patterson book, though I am sure his actual involvement was minimal. A new medical examiner arrives in the Napa Valley to find strange things happening in town and mysterious deaths. Kind of a surprise ending but a weird plot and storyline.

The Shut-In by James Patterson An Okay bookshots book which follows a woman who is trapped in her apartment due to a rare disease. To get a glimpse of the outside world she flies a drone from her window. One day she unexpectedly witnesses a murder and decides to solve it on her own.

Shadow Tyrants (The Oregon Files #13) by Clive Cussler, Boyd Morrison An interesting Oregon book which starts with 9 men being given access to scrolls of great power by an emperor. Fast forward to the modern times and their descendants now amongst the most powerful people in the world are launching a plan that could change the earth forever. In steps the Oregon and the crew to try and stop it. The Oregon novels are probably my favorite of Cussler’s series and this is a solid effort.

Hellbent (Orphan X #3) by Gregg Hurwitz Another excellent Orphan X novel which finds him on the hunt trying to take the battle to the other Orphans who are trying to kill him. Beset with an unusual situation he is not prepared for he must push thru in order to stay alive.

Gunmetal Gray (Gray Man #6) by Mark Greaney Another interesting Gray Man book. A young member of the Chinese army who works for their elite hacker corp is on the run trying to defect. The Gray Man is sent in to locate him and try to retrieve him for the US. Finding himself pitted against the Russians, Chinese, organized crime and even the CIA to try and complete his mission.

Think Twice (Rosato and Associates #11) by Lisa Scottoline Bennie Rosato’s twin sister Alice steals her identity and is trying to take all her money while trying to fool all her associates and friends. When Bennie tries to rectify the situation nobody believes her. Thought this was a pretty weak effort.

Siege of Darkness (Legacy of the Drow #3) by R.A. Salvatore The conclusion to this Drizzt trilogy finds the Drow planning to invade Mithril Hall. Had an up and down plot. Liked the machinations and plots amongst the Drow when magic wasn’t working, which really wasn’t explained other than Deities were fighting and doing stuff. The final battle was really lacking and kind of meandered back and forth and many points seemed to be glossed over.
                Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

I recently read Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi. I enjoyed it.

I also read The Fifth Heart by Dan Simmons. If you dig Sherlock Holmes, you should definitely check it out. Sherlock Holmes and Henry James attempt to thwart an attempt to assassinate President Cleveland, as well as try to clear up Holmes's suspicion that he may actually be a fictional character and not a real person. It was mos def entertaining.

Comment

Beartown by Fredrik Backman. About a small town whose citizens' lives revolve around a hockey team, and their interactions with each other (can't say too much without blowing the plot). So, so good and well written. Got a really in-depth sense of place from the descriptions. Enjoyed it a lot, definitely recommend.

Comment

Beartown by Fredrik Backman. About a small town whose citizens' lives revolve around a hockey team, and their interactions with each other (can't say too much without blowing the plot).
                      Sounds familiar. I might have to read this.

Comment

Beartown by Fredrik Backman. About a small town whose citizens' lives revolve around a hockey team, and their interactions with each other (can't say too much without blowing the plot). So, so good and well written. Got a really in-depth sense of place from the descriptions. Enjoyed it a lot, definitely recommend.
                        Scandinavian nation, yes? I think my wife just finished the audiobook version of this.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Scandinavian nation, yes? I think my wife just finished the audiobook version of this.
                          Yes - set in Sweden. They never specifically NAME Sweden, but that's where Hed is (and the author is Swedish, and I assume the book was originally written in Swedish).

There's also a second book called Us Against You.

Comment

Recent reads

The Outfit: The Role of Chicago's Underworld in the Shaping of Modern America by Gus Russo An extremely in depth book on the Chicago mob with the beginning at Jim Colosimo to Al Capone and then the majority dealing with the heirs of Capone; Murray Humphrey, Paul Ricca and Anthony Accardo. It basically takes you chronologically thru the Chicago mob from the 20’s up to the death of Accardo, though the mid 70’s to the end comes kind of quick. The political payoffs, Vegas, Cuba and the other items are very interesting though at points the book drags a bit.

Black Horizon (Jack Swyteck #11) by James Grippando The 11th Swyteck book from Gripando was okay but to me was a little lacking in plot. Had the start of a great courtroom thriller with him representing a widow of a worker killed in an oil rig explosion but then got bogged down in national security issues with little courtroom action. Once again his case has to coincide with his now wife’s undercover role, something that was explained very poorly.

Union 1812: The Americans Who Fought the Second War of Independence by A.J. Langguth A very good tale of the War of 1812. The narrative starts well before the war and goes into detail many of the events that led up to the war and the actions of some of the major players in the War, Madison, Jefferson, Adams Jackson etc. It goes thru the various actions and battles of the War of 1812, the political maneuverings in and out of the United States and the peace negotiations. In the afterword it tells what happened to many of the major players after the war. Good read

The Other Woman (Gabriel Allon #18) by Daniel Silva The Allon books tend to get a little more unbelievable the fact that the Israeli Government would let the Head of Mossad continually go into the field and walk around with no protection would never happen. That being said this is an okay book where Allon and Graham Seymour must hunt to find a spy within their midst who blew an operation and got one of their agents killed. I had the spy and connection figured out pretty early on which kind of ruined some of the development and this book did not have nearly the action of some of the past Allon books.

Texas Ranger by James Patterson Andrew Bourelle An okay Patterson book, not sure if it will start a new series, about a Texas Ranger who comes home when his ex-wife is murdered. When he feels that the local police aren’t doing enough to find her killer he steps in. Typical Patterson style and book a quick read.

Made in America by Chris Chelios, Kevin Allen I was never a big Chris Chelios fans when he played against the Red Wings as a Canadian or Blackhawk but became a fan when he became a Wing. The book is okay but he leaves a lot of the stuff that would be interesting, the drinking and partying out. There are a couple of times where he doesn’t name names. I also would have liked to hear a little more about the union issues which caused several lock outs that are covered in just 1 chapter and deals a lot with his relationship with Brendan Shanahan.

Accused (Scott Fenney #2) by Mark Gimenez I enjoyed the first Feeney book and this one picks up about 2 years later as he is called to help out his ex-wife, who left him in book 1, who has been accused of murder. With his new crew from book 1 in tow they go down to Galveston to try and win her case. It was good but not quite as good as the first one.

Blood Flag (Paul Madriani #14) by Steve Martini Paul Madriani’s new firm is flush from cash and taking on new cases, they are hired to defend a client who is accused of killing her elderly father. As they try to clear her they find a mysterious envelope sent by a lawyer which is connected to some of his army buddies from WWII. Once again as with the last 5-6 Madriani novels there is little legal maneuvering or courtroom action.

Free Fall (Elvis Cole #4) by Robert Crais Elvis is hired by a young woman to find out what is wrong with her fiancé. This plunges him straight into a thriller involving local gangs and the L.A. PD. Good read.

Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett #1) by Cody McFadyen This is the first book in the series about FBI agent Smoky Barrett a scarred woman who had lost her family to tragedy. This book finds her hunting a serial killer who is targeting both her and her team claiming to be a Ripper descendent. The book is very graphic and has a lot of backstory as some of the characters are introduced but a good read.

Cartel: The Coming Invasion of Mexico's Drug Wars by Sylvia Longmire This is a overview of Mexican Cartels. The chapters cover the formation of the cartels and how they came to power. What drugs they distribute and how the grow , produce, transport and sell them. It also tells of the many faceted relationship between the US and Mexico. OK read but this is a short overview not a deep dive into any one subject or cartel.

Comment

There's also a second book called Us Against You.
                              Just read this - liked it even better than the first one. Definitely recommend.

Comment

Recent reads

True Detectives by Jonathan Kellerman A non-Delaware novel by Kellerman, though both he and Milo appear in cameo. This follows the brothers Moses Reed and Aaron Fox investigating several disappearances and murders that seem to tie together. It was okay but I thought there were way too many characters and players and trying to explain the brother complicated relationship took up a lot of space. Not sure if he meant this as kind of Delaware spin off like Petra Connor but I don’t think there is another book with them in it.

Juror #3 by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Nancy Allen A not horrible not great book by Patterson which covers two trials and cases. New lawyer Ruby Bozarth moves to a small town in Mississippi and gets thrown into two high profile cases right away. She delves into each case helped by some of the locals and thwarted by others.

Bloody Sunday (Dewey Andreas #8) by Ben Coes He tries to leave but they drag him back in. Dewey Andreas has had enough but when he is needed for a sensitive mission involving North Korea, they drag him back. Fighting against time to save the US from nuclear annihilation, again, he must try to stop the North Koreans. I felt that parts of this book were rushed and the plot could have been fleshed out a bit more.

Saving Bravo: The Greatest Rescue Mission in Navy SEAL History by Stephan Talty A very interesting tale of survival as it details the extraordinary rescue efforts taken to rescue 1 navigator Gene Hambleton during the Vietnam War. It details the air campaign to save him in which several other men are either captured or on the run and several others are killed. It details the bureaucratic problems as he has landed right in the middle of a major NVA attack and they keep telling the rescuers that their should be minimal enemy activity. After the air option has been exhausted 1 Navy Seal Tommy Norris goes in with some South Vietnamese soldiers to rescue Hambleton and one of the other downed airmen.

The Fox by Frederick Forsyth This is an okay effort from Forsyth focusing on hacking and the danger it poses to the world. A young boy with Asperger's syndrome has manage to hack the most difficult computer systems in the world. Retired MI-6 man Adrian Weston utilizes his unique ability to wreak havoc against the enemies of the US and UK while trying to keep him safe from those who wish to do him harm.

Founding Martyr: The Life and Death of Dr. Joseph Warren, the American Revolution's Lost Hero
                                by Christian Di Spigna Interesting book about Joseph Warren one of the leaders of the Sons of Liberty in Boston. A contemporary of Sam Adams, John Adams, John Hancock, Paul Revere and others he was instrumental in the early days of the Revolution. What he may have become we never now as he was killed standing with colonial soldiers during the Battle of Bunker (Breed's) Hill. The first part of the book drags a bit as his early life and education at Harvard is covered. The second half of the book which covers his early medical practice and his participation in the major early events of the Revolution; Boston Massacre, Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere/Charles Dawes ride etc. is the best part of the book. A lot of this is covered in many of the more recent books of the time, despite the title saying lost hero, though he certainly is one of the lesser known to non history geeks.

Medal of Honor: Portraits of Valor Beyond the Call of Duty by Peter Collier This book covers and tells the story of all the living Medal of Honor winners, some of them passed away while the book was being worked on. Each recipient is given 2 pages, 1 written telling of how they earned the medal and the other page is photographs usually a current one and one from when they received the medal. All in all a good book but obviously many could have been given more than a single page.

Passage to Dawn (Legacy of the Drow #4) by R.A. Salvatore This says that it is the 4th book of the Legacy of the Drow but it takes place years after the battle at Mithril Hall and far away. Much seemed to be a rehash with Erttu and the Crystal Shard returning. Ok but hopefully the series picks up.

The Governor's Wife by Mark Gimenez I enjoyed this book though in the modern era of cell phone and cell phone cameras the plot of what happens is not very believable. A governor of a large state’s wife disappearing for months to work along the border? If it happened it certainly would have been played for all it was worth. A drug cartel targeting a governor and the US government not taking action, that’s completely left out of the book is the federal response along with the ATF agent who was initially told to cover up the fact that the drug lord was targeting the governor.

A Fine Night for Dying (Paul Chavasse #6) by Jack Higgins The 6th book in the Chavasse series, which to me is very similar to the later Sean Dillon series, finds him investigating a smuggling ring. They are smuggling people into the UK and once investigating he finds a much more sinister plot afoot. Ok read.

The Longest Winter: The Battle of the Bulge and the Epic Story of World War II's Most Decorated Platoon by Alex Kershaw A very good account of 1 small part of the Battle of the Bulge. The story of how 1 small reconnaissance platoon and a group of artillery spotters who joined them when overrun, 18 men in all, managed to hold off the advance of German Paratroopers and an SS Panzer division. It has a short part that covers their training then their time in England before heading to Germany where they are assigned to defend Lanzeroth which is a crucial road junction. They fiercely defend the position killing hundreds of German troops before being overrun and surrendering. The ferocity of their assault led the Germans to believe there was a greater force behind them holding up the German advance. The last part of the book tells of their fight to survive as POW’s from both the Nazi’s and their own troops, from friendly fire in bombings and strafings of railcars by fighters. The final part tells how they were finally recognized after an act of Congress and given their just rewards, due to bureaucratic Army rules because their commanding officer was a POW and then when rescued gravely ill and spent months in the hospital the paper work for unit recognition and individual awards was not filed in time.

Voodoo River (Elvis Cole #5) by Robert Crais An okay Elvis Cole novel which finds him in the bayou’s of Louisiana trying to track down the birth parents of a Hollywood Star. Once he gets there he finds a whole lot more going on.

SEAL Team Six: Memoirs of an Elite Navy SEAL Sniper by Howard E. Wasdin, Stephen Templin This was an okay biography of a Navy Seal who participated in the Black Hawk Down incident. It tells of his early childhood and then his quest to become a Seal. Really the only major operation he participated in was Somalia so much of the book focuses on his time there. There’s a lot of BS in the book that basically stretches it to 300 pages but there are much better Special Forces biography’s out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X