Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Another Book Thread

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
    I've been looking for another book to read, and this sounds like right up my alley. It's close enough to Black Friday, though, and while I detest participating in that event, sometimes the deals are too good to pass up. I only make a couple of purchases from Amazon a year; I build a list, then make a big purchase, in general. I figure in 2 weeks, I will pull the trigger on a purchase.
    Discover Card has 5% cash back right now for using Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
      Discover Card has 5% cash back right now for using Amazon.
      I only have an MC for a CC. That's enough. The only "big" ticket items, where I'm forced to used a CC, is for special beer releases that are ticketed. I figure, if I can't pay cash for it right then and there, I probably shouldn't buy it/can't afford it.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        I only have an MC for a CC. That's enough. The only "big" ticket items, where I'm forced to used a CC, is for special beer releases that are ticketed. I figure, if I can't pay cash for it right then and there, I probably shouldn't buy it/can't afford it.
        I take a similar approach where if I couldn't pay cash for something I generally won't buy it (real-estate and autos are an exception), but I still use my credit card anyway. I pay for almost all discretionary spending (and a couple monthly bills like internet and cell phone) with a credit card, which I then pay off in full every month. I'm about to turn 40 and I've never paid credit card interest. Over the last 10 years I've probably earned close to $5000 in rewards (I know the last few years I've earned $500-600 with most purchases earning 1%, but now my ApplePay transactions are 2%).

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          I take a similar approach where if I couldn't pay cash for something I generally won't buy it (real-estate and autos are an exception), but I still use my credit card anyway. I pay for almost all discretionary spending (and a couple monthly bills like internet and cell phone) with a credit card, which I then pay off in full every month. I'm about to turn 40 and I've never paid credit card interest. Over the last 10 years I've probably earned close to $5000 in rewards (I know the last few years I've earned $500-600 with most purchases earning 1%, but now my ApplePay transactions are 2%).
          Yup- this. Have never run a balance I am approaching 60yo. Made close to 1000$ this yr in cash back before the holiday spending. We buy everything on the CC - food, gas, anything that will take a CC. Pay it off but then get cash back. If I was more organized I could do better than that because they have Gift cards that give 5-10$ more if you redeem for those instead of using it for cash. Also links to Amazon and I can use to pay for what I buy there. I have bought close to 500$ of stuff via Amazon this yr and paid nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            Same here. Rewards cards are only worth it if you pay in full every month, otherwise the interest wipes out any benefits you earn.

Comment

Recent reads

The Thousand Orcs (Hunter's Blades #1) by R.A. Salvatore This book find Bueonor, Drizzt and the other members of his band heading back to Mithril Hall. They have some adventures but the main thrust of the story is a joining of Orcs and Frost Giants who are pillaging the land. A lot more action than some of the prior trilogies.

The New Girl (Gabriel Allon #19) by Daniel Silva I enjoyed the Allon series but have some issues with the recent books. The head of Mossad traveling almost alone to Saudi Arabia, driving alone in Europe sorry would never happen. The book starts on a non existent premise, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia’s daughter is kidnapped so he decides to ask the head of Mossad to find her. Never would happen in real life. If you can suspend this disbelief it’s not a bad novel though certainly not the best. I’d like for Silva to do a Keller stand alone novel as with Gabriel the head of Mossad it limits a lot of possibilities.

One Good Deed by David Baldacci This is an okay book by Baldacci, it a throwback as it takes place in 1949 no cell phones no internet. Archer is released from prison and finds himself in town reporting to his parole office and involved in a feud between two of the towns leading citizens. When a murder happens the ex con is the leading suspect.

The Titanic Secret (Isaac Bell #11) by Clive Cussler, Jack Du Brul This is much better than the recent Bell novels probably due to Dubrul taking over the writing duties from Justin Scott. Starts with a brief Dirk Pitt tale, loved the inclusion of the Turtle and ends with Pitt reading an Isaac Bell tale from his journal about one of his cases that also involved the sinking of the Titanic.

The Inn by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Candice Fox I enjoy Candice Fox’s Harriet Blue books but this was not the greatest. A disgraced Boston cop knows runs an inn in Glouster with the most eclectic group of tenants. They find themselves matched up against the local drug lord in a battle for the town.

The Lone Drow (Hunter's Blades #2) by R.A. Salvatore The second book in the series is basically one big running battle. It is told from two fronts, the dwarf battle to keep the horde of Orcs and Giants from Mithril Hall and Drizzt’s wreaking of vengeance on them from behind enemy lines.

To Glory We Steer (Richard Bolitho #7) by Alexander Kent Another really good Bolitho novel finds him in command of a new ship and on picket duty in the Caribbean. Posted to a ship whose Captain was removed following a mutiny he must keep command of his ship while doing his duty.

Casimir Pulaski: A Hero Of The American Revolution by Leszek Szymanski Been trying to find some books on lesser known heroes of the American Revolution so got this from the library. Book was a huge slog, the vast majority of the content is 200+ year old letter from Pulaski, Washington and others of the times. Would have been a much easier read if the letters had been summarized into modern language. The story also only covers his arrival in America to his death with a little bit of the aftermath. Very little is said about his life in Poland. Also way too much of the book details the fight between two 18th century writers, one who loved Pulaski and one who hated Pulaski.

Reckless (Ty Hauck #3) by Andrew Gross So this book finds Ty Hauck working at his new job for a corporate security arm. A friend from his past along with her family is murdered and even though it is none of his business he finds himself drawn to the investigation. When he finds similarities between her families death and several others he starts to investigate and finds himself drawn into a worldwide conspiracy. Ok read.

Skeleton Canyon (Joanna Brady #5) by J.A. Jance Another good Sheriff Brady novel where she is tasked with finding out who murdered a young high school student out in the desert. Nice further development of the characters in the series.

Hunting El Chapo: The Inside Story of the American Lawman Who Captured the World's Most Wanted Drug-Lord by Andrew Hogan, Douglas Century This was an interesting story but it is told from a DEA agents point of view. It doesn’t give a huge overview into El Chapo’s life but into the methods that the DEA and Mexican government used to track him down.

L.A. Requiem (Elvis Cole and Joe Pike #8) by Robert Crais The 8th book in the Cole series was pretty interesting. Dragged into the case by his partner Joe Pike to help track down Pike’s ex-girlfriend they find themselves butting heads with the LAPD who dislike Pike. Nice that it gives a bunch of Joe’s background with an interesting case.

Backlash (Scot Harvath #19) by Brad Thor The best Harvath novel in quite a while. It picks right up where the last one left off, almost. When the plane transporting him back to Russia crashes. He finds himself on the run with killers on his trail in the middle of Siberia and he must reach deep within himself to survive as his friends in Washington struggle to find out if he is alive or dead.

The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1) by Ben Coes This is Coes first non Dewey Andreas novel. It follows his associate Rob Tacoma who is tasked with tracking down and taking care of the Russian Mafia. I found it ironic that the CIA opted to use Rob rather than Dewey because Dewey isn’t very tactful and has a temper and then Tacoma pretty much spends almost the rest of the book charging around like a bull in a china shop. It was okay but thought a lot of the plot and storyline were lacking.

Killer Instinct (Instinct #2) by James Patterson (Goodreads Author), Howard Roughan This book follows Dylan and Elizabeth as they investigate a terrorist attack against New York City. Like most Patterson books the plot and storyline seemed to be rushed.
              Last edited by Probert; 12-14-2019, 06:05 AM.
              Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

There is Pulaski stuff all over Long Island. Everybody from Suffolk County knows somebody who grew up on a "Pulaski Rd."
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  There is Pulaski stuff all over Long Island. Everybody from Suffolk County knows somebody who grew up on a "Pulaski Rd."
                  Poles are the best
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Probert View Post

The New Girl (Gabriel Allon #19) by Daniel Silva I enjoyed the Allon series but have some issues with the recent books. The head of Mossad traveling almost alone to Saudi Arabia, driving alone in Europe sorry would never happen. The book starts on a non existent premise, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia’s daughter is kidnapped so he decides to ask the head of Mossad to find her. Never would happen in real life. If you can suspend this disbelief it’s not a bad novel though certainly not the best. I’d like for Silva to do a Keller stand alone novel as with Gabriel the head of Mossad it limits a lot of possibilities.
                    I'd also love him to go back in time and do some Ari Shamron books. Many references to Shamron's exploits and I think something like that would be a great read.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                      I'd also love him to go back in time and do some Ari Shamron books. Many references to Shamron's exploits and I think something like that would be a great read.
                      That would probably be good as well. Or even a Mikhail novel. Though I believe Shamron is, loosely, based on one of the actual Mossad agents who captured Eichmann and later rose to be the Head or #2 person in Mossad.
                      Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Comment

Listened to the new Spenser book by Ace Atkins - Angel Eyes. It was OK - not terrible, but not great. Disappointed with no Hawk. It was very "of the moment" (Spenser gets Instagram).

Comment

While working around the house, I listened to "How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States" by Daniel Immerwahr. It talks about how the US has always had an imperial component to it, which has somehow been brushed under the rug by domestic news and politicians alike. The portions regarding the Spanish-American War and WWII fallouts were easily my favorites.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            I'm in the midst of the Scott Adams trifecta:

How to Lose at Almost Everything and Still Win Big
                            Win Bigly
                            Loserthink
                            so having gleaned his droppings, would you now characterize Adams as
                            a) Huckster
                            b) Charlatan, or
                            c) simple idiot
                            ?
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              so having gleaned his droppings, would you now characterize Adams as
                              a) Huckster
                              b) Charlatan, or
                              c) simple idiot
                              ?
                              I used to think he was a clever guy who discovered there was gold on the wingnut welfare circuit, but he's not, he's just a jerk. It doesn't surprise me that conservatives have a blind spot for Adams' mental (and moral) ineptitude because it is so common on the right. His brand of punching down is perfectly exemplary of the Age of Dump.

For instance, she interpreted the Venus De Milo’s armlessness as implying that women can’t lift heavy objects. When Adams got backlash from readers who saw Tina as an unfair caricature of feminists, he patiently explained to these hysterical females that she was never intended that way, and was just meant to be a funny character who takes everything too personally, thus successfully implying that any feminist who objected to Tina’s portrayal were, like her, overreacting to harmless statements. How convenient that this character, who was not at all meant as a personal attack on feminist, nonetheless exemplifies the worst stereotypes that anti-feminists believe about feminists. She is even portrayed as imagining that society is more sexist than it is:

Tina: Alice, one day I hope we can be judged by our accomplishments and not our gender.

Alice: I got my fourth patent today. I’m on my way to a banquet in my honor.

Tina: And you wore that?

(Dilbert strip, March 18, 1998)
                              The contrast between Tina and Alice is really interesting to me. Tina is attempting to bond with Alice on their common experiences of sexism, while Alice denies that she experiences such sexism, and Tina responds with a disparaging remark about Alice’s appearance. Regardless of Scott Adams’s intentions regarding these characters, they still conform to a lot of sexist beliefs about women in general: that their complaints about sexism are just a bid for attention, that they are catty and superficial, that the few who achieve great professional success prove that the many who do not are facing no major barriers. Never mind that despite having proven herself far more competent than her fellow engineers, she’s still underpaid, under-recognized, and faces sexual harassment regularly. Moreover, Alice overcomes her interpersonal difficulties using violence and aggression, thus transgressing traditional feminine social roles. Tina isn’t just female, she’s feminine, and her stereotypically feminine behavior is the punchline of a joke where the setup is her complaining about being judged for her gender.

It’s funny, but it’s especially funny to anti-feminists and misogynists, because it seems to confirm their beliefs about women and feminism. To many men, a cis man like Scott Adams is a more credible authority on typical female behavior and experience than any feminist, and that’s a manifestation of misogyny: trusting men more than women, even about women’s issues.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 12-10-2019, 02:46 PM.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I used to think he was a clever guy who discovered there was gold on the wingnut welfare circuit, but he's not, he's just a jerk. It doesn't surprise me that conservatives have a blind spot for Adams' mental (and moral) ineptitude because it is so common on the right. His brand of punching down is perfectly exemplary of the Age of Dump.
                                I didn’t have an opinion about Adams until Rogan (don’t believe the prigs who tell you he’s not the best interviewer alive) had him on, gave him all the time he could ask for, and every “brilliant” idea Adams supposedly had in defense of Trumpery turned out to be completely empty and unsubstantiated blather. I was truly embarrassed for him. Now I think he’s just a lucky idiot (re: the early call on the election). There’s nothing interesting behind the hype. I’ll pay for his books about the same time I buy Don Jr’s.
                                Still, I was wondering if I missed something. Has he really published three of them? And people are still buying? The possibility exists that I’m the idiot (that he’s smarter in writing than a verbal interview showed). Prove me wrong.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X